Childfree by Choice #12 I care about my life, not my death.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have to say I agree with the subject of the article - haven't read all so can't comment further as its because its behind a paywall šŸ¤¦ā€ā™€ļø
Top tip! If you want to read anything behind a paywall and have an iPhone open the article in safari then click on the aA at the bottom of the page and click Show Reader, it bypasses the paywall.

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Does it matter though? Mummies and their precious crotch goblins are the only ones who may experience a disrupted life / sleep schedule etc

IMG_2097.jpeg

• Haha
Reactions: 11
Does it matter though? Mummies and their precious crotch goblins are the only ones who may experience a disrupted life / sleep schedule etc

View attachment 2749089
I am with her on this lol, thankfully having a pet is not the same thing as having a child. That's why plenty of childfree people will happily adopt pets and be wonderful pet owners and still not consider having a baby.

Off topic but "fur baby" saying is kind of a pet peeve of mine, same as those who say their husband is their child. Ma'am, find a new husband šŸ˜

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I am with her on this lol, thankfully having a pet is not the same thing as having a child. That's why plenty of childfree people will happily adopt pets and be wonderful pet owners and still not consider having a baby.

Off topic but "fur baby" saying is kind of a pet peeve of mine, same as those who say their husband is their child. Ma'am, find a new husband šŸ˜
I agree to an extent - Iā€™m very thankful that pets are not the same as babies and they are different, however there are some similarities and they are still a huge responsibility. Thereā€™s many people who should never have pets or children, but sadly still do šŸ™

What annoys me more about that post is the tone. The parent is essentially laughing and dismissing the other personā€™s very valid experience. The person might have been trying to relate to the parent and find something in common with them, because we all know they were probably talking non-stop about the joys of parenthood!

Iā€™ve noticed whenever someone else has sleepless nights or a stressful week unrelated to children, suddenly it becomes a competition and the parent has to chime in saying ā€œwell wait until youā€™ve had kids!ā€ or ā€œthatā€™s nothing compared to having a babyā€.

Anyway, baby animals will always be cuter than any wrinkly gremlin baby ā¤

• Heart
Reactions: 29
It's funny cause I had multiple people who have kids say to me getting a puppy was much harder šŸ¤£ guess it's for a shorter time than how long taking care of a baby is difficult but puppies are hard work

Reactions: 10
It's funny cause I had multiple people who have kids say to me getting a puppy was much harder šŸ¤£ guess it's for a shorter time than how long taking care of a baby is difficult but puppies are hard work
My friend has kids and dogs and says some of her dogs have been harder than some of her kids. I wouldnā€™t have a pet, to me theyā€™re just furry kids, so I understand what she means šŸ˜‚

I did always used to say that living with our dog was like having a four-legged furry toddler in the house - always needed something, and half the time it was impossible to tell what it was. She was lower needs on the entertainment front at least (slept most of the day) but it's not like she could feed herself, or let herself out to go to the bathroom, so I always had to be 'on-call'.

Now that she's gone I confess I often don't miss the reponsibility, but god do I miss her :( I'd take the inconveniences again in a heartbeat for a few more years with her.

Still not softening on the kids front though!

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Likewise. Someone I know got a puppy recently and said it was harder than her two children

Reactions: 3
I agree to an extent - Iā€™m very thankful that pets are not the same as babies and they are different, however there are some similarities and they are still a huge responsibility. Thereā€™s many people who should never have pets or children, but sadly still do šŸ™

What annoys me more about that post is the tone. The parent is essentially laughing and dismissing the other personā€™s very valid experience. The person might have been trying to relate to the parent and find something in common with them, because we all know they were probably talking non-stop about the joys of parenthood!

Iā€™ve noticed whenever someone else has sleepless nights or a stressful week unrelated to children, suddenly it becomes a competition and the parent has to chime in saying ā€œwell wait until youā€™ve had kids!ā€ or ā€œthatā€™s nothing compared to having a babyā€.

Anyway, baby animals will always be cuter than any wrinkly gremlin baby ā¤
This! You have articulated exactly the point I was trying to convey. It is definitely the tone of the OP that is irking.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Itā€™s half term where we live this week so all the parents I work with are on leave looking after the kids. On a call with my boss he said to me - I guess thatā€™s the nice thing about being childless, you can enjoy a quiet week at work without having to take time off.

I think you'll find there are plenty more nice things about being childFREE than that mate!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
On a train at the weekend, another lady and I shared many irritated eye rolls at the mum who decided not only did her little girl need to watch a show on her tablet at a nice loud volume but that she should narrate the girlā€™s reactions and feelings for us all to share in.

What exactly happens once people have children that makes them think the entire world should bend to their childā€™s whims and desires?

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 30
Yup, every restraunt now you go to is a kid watching their iPad on full volume. If they can't behave, then they shouldn't be out in adult places

Reactions: 28
Yup, every restraunt now you go to is a kid watching their iPad on full volume. If they can't behave, then they shouldn't be out in adult places
Have people just forgotten that headphones exist?

A while ago on a train, a little girl was singing along badly to a song which was playing at full volume on her mums phone. The train was packed - people standing in the aisles. That would never have happened when I was a kid, I would have been told to sit there quietly. Maybe the mum was tired after a day out with her child, but why should everyone on the train be at the receiving end of that?

• Angry
Reactions: 25
Absolutely hate this too. I think parents become so numb and desensitized to the consant noise that they forget other people can hear it too. It is a new phenomenon though because like you all said, my mother used stared me down until I shut up, on the rare occasion that I was loud.

Not setting boundaries for children is emotional neglect. Kids need to learn rules and where to stop and how to behave. This isn't about the comfort of strangers, it's about the safety of the children. They act out because they don't know where the line is and they are trying to find out. If the parents don't let them know when they cross that line, they will be taught later on either by people who don't love or care for them, or by law enforcement. No consequences at home or school give them a false sense of security. I'd hate to be there when the "free" kids of today get some sense knocked into them in the future, by people who are way less compassionate than their parents.

It is worrying how much arrogance children get away with because the doormat parents fear the kids won't love them or the schools fear the entitled parents will sue them. I despair.

• Heart
Reactions: 31
Absolutely hate this too. I think parents become so numb and desensitized to the consant noise that they forget other people can hear it too. It is a new phenomenon though because like you all said, my mother used stared me down until I shut up, on the rare occasion that I was loud.

Not setting boundaries for children is emotional neglect. Kids need to learn rules and where to stop and how to behave. This isn't about the comfort of strangers, it's about the safety of the children. They act out because they don't know where the line is and they are trying to find out. If the parents don't let them know when they cross that line, they will be taught later on either by people who don't love or care for them, or by law enforcement. No consequences at home or school give them a false sense of security. I'd hate to be there when the "free" kids of today get some sense knocked into them in the future, by people who are way less compassionate than their parents.

It is worrying how much arrogance children get away with because the doormat parents fear the kids won't love them or the schools fear the entitled parents will sue them. I despair.
Some really good points here. I feel like we as a society make so many exceptions for children, because they are children... The excuse that they are only 3/4/5 etc and they can't regulate their behaviour/emotions etc. But they don't seem to be taught how to do that so these kids are growing up and teach a point where suddenly society expects them to be able to behave in a certain way and they just can't do it.

I had a lot of issues as a teen with school refusal and I really struggled with the social side of school. If my parents and teachers had allowed me give in to my fears then I wouldn't have stayed in mainstream school and I wouldn't have achieved the qualifications I have today. Yes it was uncomfortable for me at times but they gave me a lot of support and the tools to equip me with navigating it all. I wanted so much to give it all in and have the easy ride but I'm glad I didn't. It had made me a much more resiliant person as an adult.

Reactions: 21
Some really good points here. I feel like we as a society make so many exceptions for children, because they are children... The excuse that they are only 3/4/5 etc and they can't regulate their behaviour/emotions etc. But they don't seem to be taught how to do that so these kids are growing up and teach a point where suddenly society expects them to be able to behave in a certain way and they just can't do it.

I had a lot of issues as a teen with school refusal and I really struggled with the social side of school. If my parents and teachers had allowed me give in to my fears then I wouldn't have stayed in mainstream school and I wouldn't have achieved the qualifications I have today. Yes it was uncomfortable for me at times but they gave me a lot of support and the tools to equip me with navigating it all. I wanted so much to give it all in and have the easy ride but I'm glad I didn't. It had made me a much more resiliant person as an adult.
BIB - thatā€™s life though, it is uncomfortable, we canā€™t have everything our own way. Unfortunately some people, due to being told yes throughout their childhood, then face massive issues when they enter the workplace and are told no for the first time.

Reactions: 19
BIB - thatā€™s life though, it is uncomfortable, we canā€™t have everything our own way. Unfortunately some people, due to being told yes throughout their childhood, then face massive issues when they enter the workplace and are told no for the first time.
Yup totally agree. Had this fairly recently at work. Young lad, first "real job", was at the company for 12 ish weeks, spent over 10 weeks on the sick. Came back for a few days, then on the Friday just decided he was going home as he was "Ill". When he was let go due to never being at work, he started yelling and shouting about "corporate greed", how was he going to pay his rent, he didn't want to look for another job, we didn't care about him and his welfare etc. then refused to leave the building...

can guarantee that someone has been wiping his arse, never been told no and no boundaries in place. And this is the result. Brilliant!

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 32
Yup totally agree. Had this fairly recently at work. Young lad, first "real job", was at the company for 12 ish weeks, spent over 10 weeks on the sick. Came back for a few days, then on the Friday just decided he was going home as he was "Ill". When he was let go due to never being at work, he started yelling and shouting about "corporate greed", how was he going to pay his rent, he didn't want to look for another job, we didn't care about him and his welfare etc. then refused to leave the building...

can guarantee that someone has been wiping his arse, never been told no and no boundaries in place. And this is the result. Brilliant!
I definitely see this with interns at work. Some are totally normal but a few are entitled little brats. Rolling in late, annoyed at being told what to do (by their manager!), slating the workplace on social media etc.

One of my friends let's her 2 and a half year old batter her around the head with books. And yknow how toddler books are made out of really stiff cardboard pages? She said 'well at her age her brain is still developing so she doesn't understand not to do it'. And I asked at what age will the toddler be old enough to be told to stop hitting her mother with books? What happens at nursery when she hits another kid on the head with a book?

• Wow
Reactions: 22
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.