Childfree by Choice #12 I care about my life, not my death.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ergh kids and noise from tablets etc. I was once on a pretty short flight (1 hour tops) but the plane was subjected to listening to kids shows on an iPad because they wouldn’t put headphones on the kid. I think parents forget that 1. What life was like before kids 2. Not everyone wants to also watch the same show. I think it blows my mind that parents are like “duck everyone else” because what else would go through someone’s mind when they do that?

• Angry
Reactions: 26
Ergh kids and noise from tablets etc. I was once on a pretty short flight (1 hour tops) but the plane was subjected to listening to kids shows on an iPad because they wouldn’t put headphones on the kid. I think parents forget that 1. What life was like before kids 2. Not everyone wants to also watch the same show. I think it blows my mind that parents are like “duck everyone else” because what else would go through someone’s mind when they do that?
"Oh but it would be so much worse if I insisted they wore headphones because they don't like it and they might have a massive meltdown."
Well that sounds like a You problem. Stop negotiating with terrorists you conflict-avoidant wimp.

• Haha
Reactions: 39
I was in SpaceNK today and literally couldn’t move for young teens, all over the drunk elephant, rare beauty etc. couldn’t get moving or in to see products properly for them grabbing at everything while mums stood at the sidelines and watched on. Ruined what I think is supposed to be a bit more of a premium shopping experience? Spoke to one of the assistants who said they’re exasperated with it, and some of them can be quite rude to the staff as well.

• Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 29
I was in SpaceNK today and literally couldn’t move for young teens, all over the drunk elephant, rare beauty etc. couldn’t get moving or in to see products properly for them grabbing at everything while mums stood at the sidelines and watched on. Ruined what I think is supposed to be a bit more of a premium shopping experience? Spoke to one of the assistants who said they’re exasperated with it, and some of them can be quite rude to the staff as well.
Tweens buying this expensive skincare is also really indulgent of the parents. They won't learn any life skills by being given £90 skincare at the age of 12! And future life will just be a disappointment... Like most people look forward to getting a promotion and being able to afford nicer stuff in their 20s and 30s, but they'll think they're entitled to nice stuff right from the start.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 34
One of my friends let's her 2 and a half year old batter her around the head with books. And yknow how toddler books are made out of really stiff cardboard pages? She said 'well at her age her brain is still developing so she doesn't understand not to do it'. And I asked at what age will the toddler be old enough to be told to stop hitting her mother with books? What happens at nursery when she hits another kid on the head with a book?
This really winds me up! I have worked with toddlers for many years and have no problem telling them not to do things. I can tell the difference between a toddler genuinely doing something "bad" because it's their age and they don't understand, and being "naughty." I always had very high expectations of behaviour and nipped anything I thought problematic in the bud. The behaviour in my last nursery was appalling but the staff never seemed to challenge it.

Reactions: 11
I definitely see this with interns at work. Some are totally normal but a few are entitled little brats. Rolling in late, annoyed at being told what to do (by their manager!), slating the workplace on social media etc.

One of my friends let's her 2 and a half year old batter her around the head with books. And yknow how toddler books are made out of really stiff cardboard pages? She said 'well at her age her brain is still developing so she doesn't understand not to do it'. And I asked at what age will the toddler be old enough to be told to stop hitting her mother with books? What happens at nursery when she hits another kid on the head with a book?
Crazy, doesn't she get that this how you help them develop? By making them understand how to behave. Even cats know to do that for their kittens 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 14
At the weekend me and my Dad saw a car driving by us with two kids in the back - NEITHER of which were seatbelted. Probably 5 & 6 years old, standing on the seat, leaning through into the front of the car.

How can these parents who claim their kids are the most precious things in the world let these things fly?? Not only is it illegal but you're risking their LIVES because you can't face wrangling your kids into booster seats (I don't even think there were any in the car!). There's just no consequences for kids anymore so why would they behave!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 22
Adding on to the whole discussion of people not saying ‘no’ to their kids, there was an episode of eat well for less I watched where the couple had a few kids and would cook a meal for themselves and then all separate meals for the kids. I forget how many kids it was now but say three, so they would be cooking 4 meals a night, one for the adults and all different ones for the kids which obviously costs a lot and leads to a lot of waste. Even worse if a parent cooked what a kid wanted and then the kid changed their mind or tried it and didn’t like it, they’d cook a whole new meal for that kid! And they had no idea how to get their shopping bill down!

When I was a kid we all ate the same, anything anyone really hated was left off of the plate and we all took it in turns to choose but there’s no way my mum would’ve cooked us all a different meal and there’s no way we would’ve expected her to be making sausage and mash, fish fingers and chips, macaroni cheese, pizza and spaghetti bolognaise for one dinner 😂

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
Adding on to the whole discussion of people not saying ‘no’ to their kids, there was an episode of eat well for less I watched where the couple had a few kids and would cook a meal for themselves and then all separate meals for the kids. I forget how many kids it was now but say three, so they would be cooking 4 meals a night, one for the adults and all different ones for the kids which obviously costs a lot and leads to a lot of waste. Even worse if a parent cooked what a kid wanted and then the kid changed their mind or tried it and didn’t like it, they’d cook a whole new meal for that kid! And they had no idea how to get their shopping bill down!

When I was a kid we all ate the same, anything anyone really hated was left off of the plate and we all took it in turns to choose but there’s no way my mum would’ve cooked us all a different meal and there’s no way we would’ve expected her to be making sausage and mash, fish fingers and chips, macaroni cheese, pizza and spaghetti bolognaise for one dinner 😂
Yeah I'd be like, be hungry then 😊

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Jeepers. The stupidity of that 😲. Of course the child can be made to understand that is not what books are for. And hitting and not being stopped or told not to do it again, that kid is going to be some horror as she gets older.

I feel sorry for kids like that because when they start mixing with other kids, and going to school, never having been reined in on their behaviour, they are in for a rotten time.

Reactions: 12

That's so stupid. These must be the kind of people that in the workplace really over complicate a task and create lots of 'busy work' - work for the sale of work.

There's a simple way to make their life easier and keep food costs down - just stop pandering to the kids.

Reactions: 11
Ok I understand that a lot of people don’t care for valentines and it’s just another day
But why take young babies/toddlers to a fancy steakhouse on valentines?!
We went for a date night and it was packed and there were loads of kids running around! I suppose it’s parents who just couldn’t get a babysitter and wanted to go out but it kinda ruined the vibe
The waiters didn’t look impressed either

• Wow
  • Angry
I saw someone on a Facebook group showing various heart shaped food from supermarkets she had bought saying these were perfect for your kids so they don’t “feel left out” ? Left out of what?! Why does everything always HAVE to involve them it’s so weird. Most kids wouldn’t even care about Valentine’s Day

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 44
Ok I promise I can post more than screenshots from Facebook groups 😂 but look I can see both sides here but why would you want to take your baby to a day spa where people usually go to relax? Where the rooms are tiny and not big enough for a pram? Where there is hot wax that could be dropped onto your kid? The thing I do disagree with is them making her hold the baby but it looks like it was because the pram had to be outside (probably because it was a trip hazard…).

IMG_2281.jpeg

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 20
Someone I know sent their baby son a valentines card 🤢
Just be glad it was only a card, I saw a photo on Facebook yesterday of a mum snogging her little (4-6 maybe) boy. Disturbing. Someone shared it saying something about how when a woman needs unconditional love god will send her a son… that’s not a responsibility a child should have.

• Sick
  • Wow
Ok I promise I can post more than screenshots from Facebook groups 😂 but look I can see both sides here but why would you want to take your baby to a day spa where people usually go to relax? Where the rooms are tiny and not big enough for a pram? Where there is hot wax that could be dropped onto your kid? The thing I do disagree with is them making her hold the baby but it looks like it was because the pram had to be outside (probably because it was a trip hazard…).

View attachment 2758692
So many of them think "babes in arms" don't count as children.

You see it all the time in relation to childfree weddings

• Angry
Reactions: 21
You see it all the time in relation to childfree weddings
I love when that topic comes up on Mumsnet 🤣

And re any kind of thread, not necessarily just the childfree wedding topic - there's always someone who states categorically, 'oh wait until they have children' or 'I bet they don't have children'.

Yes, because we all know that as soon as someone has a child, regardless of how self-involved they were before that, they are now practically saints 🤣...

• Haha
Reactions: 22

View attachment 2758692
Another parent thinking the world revolves around her!
Why was she taking a baby in a pram into an environment with hot wax? It's probably against their insurance terms to have children on the premises.

I once went with a friend to a small cafe and she was really huffy about how the place wasn't pram friendly. Space for a pram would mean getting rid of one of the tables, but a small cafe needs to cram in the seats to make money. Sorry that this cafe needs to operate as a money making business and doesn't exist just for a place for you to hang out on maternity leave!

• Haha
Reactions: 19

View attachment 2758692
My beautician doesn’t allow children in her salon. I think it’s perfectly reasonable, can’t be fully minding a child with your eyes shut for a lash tint or both hands out of action getting your nails done etc. 🤷‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.