Childfree by Choice #12 I care about my life, not my death.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just send there’s a petition going around to ‘allow’ parents to take their kids out of school for two weeks a year, penalty free.
It’s ridiculous. If you want to take your kids out of school, you have to accept the consequences! Now it’s like as though they want all of the perks of going in term time but none of the pitfalls. If you don’t want to pay the fine, don’t take them 😂

Reactions: 19
I agree, but not just about the child’s education but the child as a whole. I’ve known a few children get very upset at being taken out of school for a holiday because they’re worried about certain things; having to lie to the teacher if the parents lie about why they’re off, their friends ‘moving on’/getting a new best friend, missing out on sleepovers or birthday parties etc, if their friend will be on their own and missing out on the work and not being able to catch up etc.

I know it’s expensive to go away in school holidays but it’s better to keep your child in education and with their social group and do what holidays you can around that. Education, responsibility, friends and everything else they get from school is so important and while a lot of people say holidays are enriching, they can be, but they will be during the school holidays as well even if they’re shorter or different.

I do feel sorry for kids because they have no say over this kind of thing but it’s them that is affected by it.
Besides, are holidays mandatory or something now? When I was a kid, if we couldn't afford it, we didn't go anywhere. I didn't even get on a plane until high school, let alone being abroad every summer. I know some things are more financially accessible compared to the 90s and 00s but why do parents assume that kids leaving school during term time is petition worthy? If you can't afford it, don't bloody do it. A holiday abroad isn't a necessity, it's a luxury. I wish all of us could afford that kind of a break but we can't, along with many other things. If going to Spain or France or Greece or Turkey or wherever every summer is non-negotiable for you, then you make sure your finances allow that, or you don't have kids. I am childfree and I still can't afford some of the holidays these families are going on, it doesn't mean I am going to make it everyone else's problem to make it possible for me. What even.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 33
It’s ridiculous. If you want to take your kids out of school, you have to accept the consequences! Now it’s like as though they want all of the perks of going in term time but none of the pitfalls. If you don’t want to pay the fine, don’t take them 😂
and this is exactly why kids are the way they are now - consequences. Parents don't accept them, don't let their kids accept them and don't teach them that every action has a consequence

Reactions: 22
It’s as if some parents think the world revolves around them and their offspring.

Reactions: 16
I feel no guilt about spending all of our money on holidays 🤭🤭. Where did you go Hogi? Cape Verde? I hope to go there sometime. We're off to Rhodes next week
Me either 😂. I’m in Rhodes just now, the weather is amazing!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I've just seen a post on FB asking if it's acceptable to take a 5 year old to a Take That concert. Almost a unanimous Yes was the response! Apart from it being really loud and them probably being too small to see anything, why would anyone spend upwards of 60 quid a ticket on a child that young (and some people who had said they had taken young children had paid way more)? Is nothing sacred these days!

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 13
I've just seen a post on FB asking if it's acceptable to take a 5 year old to a Take That concert. Almost a unanimous Yes was the response! Apart from it being really loud and them probably being too small to see anything, why would anyone spend upwards of 60 quid a ticket on a child that young (and some people who had said they had taken young children had paid way more)? Is nothing sacred these days!
Least it be that loud won't hear it cry all time. I can just image the poor people sat next to them though having them squeeze by them for child to go toilet etc. And isn't places like that you can take food or drink in they will be expecting they will get let off because child's young. So everyone else has to buy snacks and drinks and they will say he's just a child can't we just bring xxx and xx in?

Reactions: 1
I live in a block of flats that are all one beds and I am astounded by the amount of families with small children that have moved in over the last year or so. Some with two or more kids!

I know there’s a cost of living and housing crisis so I can see why, but where are they all sleeping?! It can’t be a comfortable living situation… For them and for me who has to deal with next doors toddler screaming and kicking the wall throughout the night, I didn’t sign up for that!

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 11

My take that ticket was about 130 near the back for a lower tier. Wouldn’t take a small child to a concert like that. Too young, too expensive and can’t be that big a fan at that age. Plus they’d get bored it’s a two hour show.

Loads of character shows focused towards little kids nowadays. Wait till they are a bit older for a proper concert and choose an act they properly love.

Reactions: 4
Concerts are a big deal. Aside from the other points already raised, why not give the child the chance to choose their first gig - they're a right of passage! I was 15 when I went to my first concert, Melanie C who I was obsessed with. That is a MAJOR memory for me!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Besides, are holidays mandatory or something now? When I was a kid, if we couldn't afford it, we didn't go anywhere.
EXACTLY!! My parents worked several jobs each and were able to scrape together enough each year to take us to a UK seaside town for a week in the summer. Would it have been half the price if they'd taken us in term time? Yes, absolutely, but they valued my education more than that. A big part of it is also right and wrong - it was drilled into us to always be honest so how on earth could they tell us to pretend we're "sick" for a week??

We had no weekend trips, no restaurant meals, no takeaways throughout the year - but one holiday on the British coast. And you know what? We LOVED it!! We were kids, we never felt like we were "missing out" on anything. It never crossed my mind to compare my holiday to other kids' trips to Disneyland or whatever. We were happy to be at the beach, in the pool, playing board games, eating at a breakfast buffet.

It's so normal now to have to take your kids out every weekend - bowling, soft play, pub lunch, water park, McDonalds. All that then you want to have the fine waived to take your kids out of their free education for 2 weeks a year? YOU have chosen this life. YOU have chosen to go to Dubai with your kid who would happily enjoy Blackpool. YOU have chosen to spunk away all the dosh on takeout's and toys. YOU pay the consequences!!

• Heart
Reactions: 23
Schools may hang their hats at any kind of respect for their staff, and education in general, if it becomes the norm for kids to be taken out on a whim, to go on holidays, without consequence.

More importantly 😉 we, childfree folk, want our nice peaceful holidays to continue to be available to us. 😁

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I've seen parents I know share reels of other parents justifying taking them out during term time and calculating that even with the fines etc. it's no big deal.
But I'm pretty sure in primary school you can miss a lot during one week, they cover so much during that age and I feel like usually one topic is covered in a week and then rarely again e.g we had Tudor week (yes I know that's probably not important to development but it was fun as hell making models of Tudor houses 🤣)

If you have kids, suck it up and go on holiday during school hols, if you can't afford to stump up the extra cash it costs then that's their problem not the school's.

Reactions: 16
Schools may hang their hats at any kind of respect for their staff, and education in general, if it becomes the norm for kids to be taken out on a whim, to go on holidays, without consequence.

More importantly 😉 we, childfree folk, want our nice peaceful holidays to continue to be available to us. 😁
I agree, I’m constantly surprised there’s any teachers left and if people take their kids out at all different times it’ll really mess up stuff for them I imagine. Like how do you set group projects if you never know when kids from the group will be off? How do you lesson plan when you don’t know how many kids will be there?

Someone started a thread on Reddit a while ago basically saying they were surprised how many teachers had left and how few had signed up to train to be teachers and I was surprised so few had left and so many had signed up! I definitely couldn’t be a teacher. Between the disruptive or violent children, the parents and the workload I wouldn’t last a week!

Reactions: 10
My take that ticket was about 130 near the back for a lower tier. Wouldn’t take a small child to a concert like that. Too young, too expensive and can’t be that big a fan at that age. Plus they’d get bored it’s a two hour show.

Loads of character shows focused towards little kids nowadays. Wait till they are a bit older for a proper concert and choose an act they properly love.
I think the OP was suggesting that she take her 5 year old instead of her husband because the babysitter had let them down last minute. Er, how about the husband says at home with the kid and you take a friend with you who's more likely to appreciate it?!

Reactions: 6
Adding to the Rhodes love - I was there last September and it was amazing! Highly recommend the pirate ship trip, it has 3 swim stops and they feed you BBQ and alcohol

• Heart
Reactions: 3
It's so normal now to have to take your kids out every weekend - bowling, soft play, pub lunch, water park, McDonalds. A
Right? I'm not mad at parents for wanting to organise a fun day out for their kids or spend quality time as a family, that's great for them, but more and more I keep hearing and seeing this anxiety of not being able to fill every single free moment with an exciting plan or a gift. Being a little bored not detrimental to them, it's in fact fundamental. I think adults are terrified of being alone with their thoughts and imagination for one whole minute let alone a whole hour so they assume the kids will start spiraling if they are not occupied 24/7, or worse, they will want to play with their parents. 🙄 It feels like overcompensating at some point. If you can't spare time to be a parent, don't be one. This leads to a whole other conversation about the modern working hours and capitalism reducing people to drained exhausted husks and no wonder people don't have the energy to be present etc. but still, the fact remains that it won't change by tomorrow. If you are determined, breed according to the world we live in, it's not what it used to be. It is a well known unpleasant fact that the costs of raising a child is enormous but somehow it's still brand new information, every single year.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
Right? I'm not mad at parents for wanting to organise a fun day out for their kids or spend quality time as a family, that's great for them, but more and more I keep hearing and seeing this anxiety of not being able to fill every single free moment with an exciting plan or a gift.
Honestly!! We had chores to do, helped with cooking and cleaning, went outside with our friends, bike rides, trips to the local nature reserve, puzzles, TV, drawing, video games, listen to CDs, playing Pokemon cards. Aside from chores, nearly all of my weekend was away from my parents making my own fun - Mum and Dad would be working, relaxing, sunbathing in the garden, watching sports (on the only TV in the house!). WHY do you need to constantly entertain your kids??

Remember daring to say you're bored to your parents and they'd "find you something to do" like clean the gutters 😂 I honestly don't know if kids even do chores nowadays?? I feel like I never hear about it from parents?

• Heart
Reactions: 12