Childfree by Choice #12 I care about my life, not my death.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just send there’s a petition going around to ‘allow’ parents to take their kids out of school for two weeks a year, penalty free.

• Angry
  • Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 13
Coming to the end of my first holiday for the year and thinking of our next break.

Husband was getting the guilts about spending so much of our money on holidays until I pointed out that our friends have spent double what we spent on this holiday just in childcare so far this year.

They pay £76 a day, excluding nappies, wipes and snacks...

I know what I would rather be spending my money on!

• Wow
Reactions: 22
Coming to the end of my first holiday for the year and thinking of our next break.

Husband was getting the guilts about spending so much of our money on holidays until I pointed out that our friends have spent double what we spent on this holiday just in childcare so far this year.

They pay £76 a day, excluding nappies, wipes and snacks...

I know what I would rather be spending my money on!
I feel no guilt about spending all of our money on holidays 🤭🤭. Where did you go Hogi? Cape Verde? I hope to go there sometime. We're off to Rhodes next week

Reactions: 14
I feel no guilt about spending all of our money on holidays 🤭🤭. Where did you go Hogi? Cape Verde? I hope to go there sometime. We're off to Rhodes next week
Not cape verde this time! Trying to convince the husband to go back in September for our anniversary 🤣

Did a week in Egypt. It's been scorching but so relaxing and just what I needed.

Where abouts in Rhodes? We went a few years back and loved it

Reactions: 7
Just send there’s a petition going around to ‘allow’ parents to take their kids out of school for two weeks a year, penalty free.
All these parents who moan about being fined for taking their kids out of school, what sort of message do they think it is sending to their child that it’s ok to leave school whenever you fancy it for a holiday? People know holidays are more expensive in school holidays when they decide to have kids, if you can’t afford it then don’t go.

Reactions: 28
I've really enjoyed Rhodes and you've picked a great time to visit - it was boiling hot in summer. I still had a good time but my walks around would have been more comfortable 👌

• Heart
Reactions: 4
All these parents who moan about being fined for taking their kids out of school, what sort of message do they think it is sending to their child that it’s ok to leave school whenever you fancy it for a holiday? People know holidays are more expensive in school holidays when they decide to have kids, if you can’t afford it then don’t go.
Exactly. Plus, are they not concerned about their child’s education?

Reactions: 11
Not cape verde this time! Trying to convince the husband to go back in September for our anniversary 🤣

Did a week in Egypt. It's been scorching but so relaxing and just what I needed.

Where abouts in Rhodes? We went a few years back and loved it
Ah nice. I doubt Egypt very hot too 😆 very hard to sunbathe for long!
We're staying at a resort in Gennadi which is near Lindos. Looking forward to visiting Rhodes Town

• Heart
Reactions: 3
We’ve just booked 10 nights in Marrakesh as an adult only hotel with a Jacuzzi on our balcony and it’s cost less than my friends childcare for six weeks.

Thank you for sharing that BBC article. It was very interesting. I’m a 1990s baby and a number of my school friends are having children only one of my friends has had a child. The rest of us are childfree. I don’t have the physical or mental capacity to look after a child and I am not prepared to give up my freedom and my income to do so.

But for the love of God, can we please start making childfree spaces more acceptable! I want to go to Legoland, the petting zoo etc without being looked at weirdly or having to share with children, we’re only asking for a small slot!

• Heart
I've seen the petition and the gist of it is that all the #makingmemories on holiday gives a child better life experiences and is better for their wellbeing than being at school all the time. 'Amen', say all the FB huns.

Well, that's what they're saying, but we all know it's really about the flights being cheaper in term time.

• Sick
Reactions: 20
Schools get about £7.5k per child, so they should make the parents pay back the portion of taxpayer funded education which they are withdrawing the kid from just for a holiday.

Reactions: 10
I've seen the petition and the gist of it is that all the #makingmemories on holiday gives a child better life experiences and is better for their wellbeing than being at school all the time. 'Amen', say all the FB huns.

Well, that's what they're saying, but we all know it's really about the flights being cheaper in term time.
Plus if it really was just about better life experiences, well-being etc they would get exactly the same results if they went at the correct time during their actual school holiday surely.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I was trying to explain to my mother how I’d love to just be allowed a 3 month sabbatical fully paid unlike the 9 month full pay maternity that my colleagues are all taking, she didn’t understand and kept saying ‘you can’t expect them to come back to work after a baby’ er not the point I’m trying to make, just some equality

• Haha
I’m an ex teacher and there’s now this culture from kids that education isn’t that important mainly due to their parents whipping their kids out of school so they can get cheaper holidays. Kids don’t value education because their parents don’t. It filters through to how they behave in class, with the view that ‘education isn’t important, I don’t have to do what the teacher says’ as effectively school is just seen as nothing more than day care to some parents now.
---
I was trying to explain to my mother how I’d love to just be allowed a 3 month sabbatical fully paid unlike the 9 month full pay maternity that my colleagues are all taking, she didn’t understand and kept saying ‘you can’t expect them to come back to work after a baby’ er not the point I’m trying to make, just some equality
I asked for 3 weeks holiday to complete my masters degree whilst I was working full time. It was refused. Bearing in mind, I started this degree as it would have been of benefit to my workplace. Meanwhile my colleague came off maternity leave and was given flexible leave so she could sort out childcare which changed every week at the drop of a hat. They couldn’t have bent over more to assist her. I was like “I’m bending over backwards to complete this qualification to benefit this workplace, whilst she gets to sit on her arse contributing the bare minimum yet is getting paid for it?!”

Promptly told them I was bleeping off and they should value employees who actually contribute to the workplace.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 32

Of course it is.

Sorry but I was kept in school during the 1990s but at the same time we didn’t go abroad every year. Parents saved for it as they didn’t want to take us out of school.

I was raised in a pretty well off family too, but they knew their limits and didn’t want to risk their kids education.
---
I’m an ex teacher and there’s now this culture from kids that education isn’t that important mainly due to their parents whipping their kids out of school so they can get cheaper holidays. Kids don’t value education because their parents don’t. It filters through to how they behave in class, with the view that ‘education isn’t important, I don’t have to do what the teacher says’ as effectively school is just seen as nothing more than day care to some parents now.
---

I asked for 3 weeks holiday to complete my masters degree whilst I was working full time. It was refused. Bearing in mind, I started this degree as it would have been of benefit to my workplace. Meanwhile my colleague came off maternity leave and was given flexible leave so she could sort out childcare which changed every week at the drop of a hat. They couldn’t have bent over more to assist her. I was like “I’m bending over backwards to complete this qualification to benefit this workplace, whilst she gets to sit on her arse contributing the bare minimum yet is getting paid for it?!”

Promptly told them I was bleeping off and they should value employees who actually contribute to the workplace.
Exactly. It all filters down and through into your future.

You need that sense of responsibility, like you can’t just duck off when you want when you have a job.

Good for you regarding leaving that work place. I’m doing the same very very shortly.

Reactions: 12
I agree, but not just about the child’s education but the child as a whole. I’ve known a few children get very upset at being taken out of school for a holiday because they’re worried about certain things; having to lie to the teacher if the parents lie about why they’re off, their friends ‘moving on’/getting a new best friend, missing out on sleepovers or birthday parties etc, if their friend will be on their own and missing out on the work and not being able to catch up etc.

I know it’s expensive to go away in school holidays but it’s better to keep your child in education and with their social group and do what holidays you can around that. Education, responsibility, friends and everything else they get from school is so important and while a lot of people say holidays are enriching, they can be, but they will be during the school holidays as well even if they’re shorter or different.

I do feel sorry for kids because they have no say over this kind of thing but it’s them that is affected by it.

Reactions: 18
I agree, but not just about the child’s education but the child as a whole. I’ve known a few children get very upset at being taken out of school for a holiday because they’re worried about certain things; having to lie to the teacher if the parents lie about why they’re off, their friends ‘moving on’/getting a new best friend, missing out on sleepovers or birthday parties etc, if their friend will be on their own and missing out on the work and not being able to catch up etc.

I know it’s expensive to go away in school holidays but it’s better to keep your child in education and with their social group and do what holidays you can around that. Education, responsibility, friends and everything else they get from school is so important and while a lot of people say holidays are enriching, they can be, but they will be during the school holidays as well even if they’re shorter or different.

I do feel sorry for kids because they have no say over this kind of thing but it’s them that is affected by it.
agreed! a woman in work did this with her young son last year (i think just before the easter holidays) and he was so upset to be missing out on all the fun easter activities his primary school had planned and just generally distressed that she’d told him not to tell anyone they were going on holiday (she phoned and told the school he was ill). she thought it was funny and that he was too little to understand the “benefits” but i was always like why have you caused your son so much upset just so you can have a cheaper flight to majorca? the poor lad was genuinely so sad about it all.

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 24
agreed! a woman in work did this with her young son last year (i think just before the easter holidays) and he was so upset to be missing out on all the fun easter activities his primary school had planned and just generally distressed that she’d told him not to tell anyone they were going on holiday (she phoned and told the school he was ill). she thought it was funny and that he was too little to understand the “benefits” but i was always like why have you caused your son so much upset just so you can have a cheaper flight to majorca? the poor lad was genuinely so sad about it all.
That’s awful. I hated school at the time but now I’m older I see the benefits and they’re so much more than just book learning so it is frustrating when people say things like ‘oh it’s the last week of term so they’re not doing any proper work’ etc because like you say kids get upset to miss out on the other stuff like the Easter activities. No wonder kids always say they can’t wait to grow up!

Reactions: 11
I used to cat sit for a teacher. She didn’t have kids and for over 25 years she covered for those with kids, filling in when they rushed off/ needed time off. Came in early / stayed late. It was a wedding anniversary and she wanted to go on a cruise as her husband had had lifesaving surgery (no sympathy or help from colleagues. That she had gone out of her way to help. Needed two days leave where the others would have had to fill in for her. They refused and the school refused her leave. She quit on the spot (half way through term), she could afford to just not turn up. Took months for the school to find a replacement (tough school) and the others had to help fill in as no supply teachers would come to this school not for two days but months. Sad really as it shows people with kids have a sense of entitlement because they have bred.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 29
I used to cat sit for a teacher. She didn’t have kids and for over 25 years she covered for those with kids, filling in when they rushed off/ needed time off. Came in early / stayed late. It was a wedding anniversary and she wanted to go on a cruise as her husband had had lifesaving surgery (no sympathy or help from colleagues. That she had gone out of her way to help. Needed two days leave where the others would have had to fill in for her. They refused and the school refused her leave. She quit on the spot (half way through term), she could afford to just not turn up. Took months for the school to find a replacement (tough school) and the others had to help fill in as no supply teachers would come to this school not for two days but months. Sad really as it shows people with kids have a sense of entitlement because they have bred.
Good for her! What awful colleagues she had!

Reactions: 13