Childfree by Choice #12 I care about my life, not my death.

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve been in multiple meetings today where parents have complained about how the Easter weekend “isn’t time off” and it’s even worse than working and they’d rather just be at work.

All I could think is, what a sad little life 😅 I personally can’t wait for the long weekend 😂
My heart bleeds for them.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
The staff should be telling them to turn down/off their iPads, it obviously disrupts other customers experiences?? At very least the Mum could say headphones only.
But she won't because 'somebody think of the poor little fuckers children!' it's like they have a divine right that trumps all else. I have ASD and noise sensitivity is a big one for me so I find that sort of experience physically painful!

Just musing after seeing elsewhere that posters are denigrating Labour as they won't extend the free childcare provision any further.. I dread to think how much the latest expansion of free childcare is costing the country already! Plus I'm public sector so anyone taking maternity leave (and therefore being backfilled) is therefore costing 2x a much as that person being at work.

Yet as people who are childfree (initially I wasn't by choice, but now am glad that decision has been made for me as I know 100% I never want them) we get...nothing. I know the argument has been made that we should also be able to take paid leave for the equivalent to mat leave for whatever reason but that's never going to happen is it!?

Reactions: 18
Yet as people who are childfree (initially I wasn't by choice, but now am glad that decision has been made for me as I know 100% I never want them) we get...nothing. I know the argument has been made that we should also be able to take paid leave for the equivalent to mat leave for whatever reason but that's never going to happen is it!?
I know, I feel like there should be some sort of yearly stipend for those who don't make use of mat/pat leave. It'll never be equal to the months of fully paid leave parents get, but I do believe there should be something. Having children is a choice unlike any other leave from work (sickness, bereavement, etc).

• Heart
Reactions: 27
But she won't because 'somebody think of the poor little fuckers children!' it's like they have a divine right that trumps all else. I have ASD and noise sensitivity is a big one for me so I find that sort of experience physically painful!

Just musing after seeing elsewhere that posters are denigrating Labour as they won't extend the free childcare provision any further.. I dread to think how much the latest expansion of free childcare is costing the country already! Plus I'm public sector so anyone taking maternity leave (and therefore being backfilled) is therefore costing 2x a much as that person being at work.

I worked with a woman years ago who had baby one, came back from Mat leave already pregnant with baby two. Came back for maybe 3/4 months before announcing her third, I left before she went on mat 3 but have seen from social media since she now has five! I would love just a month off fully paid to do all sorts of tasks holiday etc too like they receive their fully paid child time off

• Wow
Reactions: 22
I worked with a woman years ago who had baby one, came back from Mat leave already pregnant with baby two. Came back for maybe 3/4 months before announcing her third, I left before she went on mat 3 but have seen from social media since she now has five! I would love just a month off fully paid to do all sorts of tasks holiday etc too like they receive their fully paid child time off
Yep, one of my best friends did the exact same.

Our company is incredibly generous with mat leave - 26 weeks fully paid, followed by a further 13 weeks statutory pay, and up to 52 weeks in total. People on annual leave still accrue the (very generous) 26 days holiday per year too, so between her 3 kids she's barely been in the last 5 years!

• Wow
  • Angry
Reactions: 14
I was watching this woman on Instagram who is single and living at home at 30 (basically saying it’s normal to not follow society’s expectations).

The top comment was along the lines of “marriage and children are not an achievement, they’re a choice”

Some of the replies were so offended that they’d “invalidated” their kids, like MY KIDS ARE THE BEST THING IVE EVER DONE. Ok Susan, no one cares 🤗

• Haha
Reactions: 35
Similar happened to me the other day. I was saying that I'd had a lovely 9 hour sleep and a woman not even involved in the conversation butted in with her tinkly laugh and 'Ooh you won't be able to do that when you have children'.. one of many reasons I will not be making that choice.
People always say things like since they've had a child they've become so soft/people who haven't had children don't have empathy/parents are grown ups and people without children aren't and then with absolutely no regard for people who are infertile, just suffered a miscarriage, just has a stillbirth or have had a child who died they just say things like this to people. But I'm lacking empathy and I'm immature because I haven't had children. Ok hon.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
People always say things like since they've had a child they've become so soft /people who haven't had children don't have empathy/parents are grown ups and people without children aren't and then with absolutely no regard for people who are infertile, just suffered a miscarriage, just has a stillbirth or have had a child who died they just say things like this to people. But I'm lacking empathy and I'm immature because I haven't had children. Ok hon.
That happens a lot on mumsnet, especially when someone is being 'unreasonable' in the eyes of the OP.
Ooh I bet he/ she has no kids will always feature in replies. This could be on just about any topic.

The implication being that as soon as someone has kids they become some sort of selfless saints. Hahaha.
Just look at the post upthread about the woman in the salon with kids and iPads blaring. 🥴

Reactions: 15
I was watching this woman on Instagram who is single and living at home at 30 (basically saying it’s normal to not follow society’s expectations).

The top comment was along the lines of “marriage and children are not an achievement, they’re a choice”

Some of the replies were so offended that they’d “invalidated” their kids, like MY KIDS ARE THE BEST THING IVE EVER DONE. Ok Susan, no one cares 🤗
I've always said, it's not exactly an achievement to get pregnant is it...

• Haha
Omg I hate this!! I'll actually be able to have as many lie-in's as I like because I will NEVER subject myself to the sleep deprivation children cause.

Long term sleep deprivation is no joke;
Exactly how bad is long-term sleep deprivation for the health of new parents? | The Independent
Chronic sleep deprivation absolutely DOES cause permanent damage. It increases your risk of cancer, dementia, obesity, diabetes, etc. I read a fascinating book about it - LifeTime I think it was called.

I have underactive thyroid and get exhausted easily. Working 9-5 knackers me enough, I had to give up badminton because it was at 8pm and by the time I had dinner/wound down it was 12am. If I have <8h sleep I’m a crabby asshole! Why would I want to ruin my own health and be a grumpy witch to my imaginary kids too….

Also, I hate the presumption that not only must you have children, it must be multiple! It’s always “children” not “child”. If I wanted any number >0, it would be 1….. but apparently that’s not allowed either.

Reactions: 14
Chronic sleep deprivation absolutely DOES cause permanent damage. It increases your risk of cancer, dementia, obesity, diabetes, etc. I read a fascinating book about it - LifeTime I think it was called.

I have underactive thyroid and get exhausted easily. Working 9-5 knackers me enough, I had to give up badminton because it was at 8pm and by the time I had dinner/wound down it was 12am. If I have <8h sleep I’m a crabby asshole! Why would I want to ruin my own health and be a grumpy witch to my imaginary kids too….

Also, I hate the presumption that not only must you have children, it must be multiple! It’s always “children” not “child”. If I wanted any number >0, it would be 1….. but apparently that’s not allowed either.
Thanks for the book recommendation, will add it to my kindle list for my next plane trip (which coincidentally is in 2 weeks because I don't have kids and can go on several holidays a year sorry not sorry 💅)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 21
Thanks for the book recommendation, will add it to my kindle list for my next plane trip (which coincidentally is in 2 weeks because I don't have kids and can go on several holidays a year sorry not sorry 💅)
pahahahahahahahahahah, love this!!!
I'll be loving my 2 weeks in the glorious sunshine in June that only cost us £2k because I don't need to go in peak times and with 3 kids and 17 suitcases in tow.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Spare a thought for those of us idiots married to teachers who have to brave the joys of an August holiday (adults only hotel though!).
Have a fab time, very envious!

• Heart
Spare a thought for those of us idiots married to teachers who have to brave the joys of an August holiday (adults only hotel though!).
Have a fab time, very envious!
Look at the silver childfree-lining - you aren't forking out thousands each year raising humans so can afford the summer hol prices! LOVE adult only hotels, don't think I could ever go back.

Reactions: 8
I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, but the wife of someone on my team has just had their seventh child. My company introduced six months fully paid parental leave a couple of years ago, so the next Father of Seven (plus? Who knows where they'll stop as they've already said they want a football team...) that joins the team is effectively going to be working, what, three and half years over the seven years in which they pop out a kid?!

The guy currently on parental leave is going to work six months of this year and still be entitled to full salary, bonus, potentially take the same amount of holiday as me (we have "unlimited" time off) and do just half the months of work. I don't know. I understand the pros of parental leave and having the father around from the mother's perspective, but the thing about maternity leave is that it is - in my view- also the time it takes for a woman's body to recover from the physical and mental effects of being pregnant and giving birth. For a man, it's just six months off work, changing some nappies, giving a few bottles, and getting slapped on the back for being *such a great guy and father.* I do think that if there is going to be this level of parental leave it should AT LEAST be limited to two birthed / adopted children. I'm ok with it for more foster children as that's a completely different scenario.

• Wow
  • Angry
Everyone going on about how much maternity or paternity leave they get when at the end of all the leave you are still stuck with a kid (or 7!) for life!! I’d rather just go to work🤣

• Haha
Everyone going on about how much maternity or paternity leave they get when at the end of all the leave you are still stuck with a kid (or 7!) for life!! I’d rather just go to work🤣
Me too, but I'd very much like to be compensated by my employer in some way for NOT flouncing off on fully paid leave for 6 months every other year lol!

Might put at the top of my CV "I'm childfree by choice - you're welcome".

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 24
I like going to the salon usually but today a customer has brang her two really small girls with her to wait while she has her hair done. Could she have not arranged for another appointment or found sitters? The loud film on the iPad that they are watching is not even turned down for the other people here. They've just turned it right up. The mum's quite happy on her iPhone with her roots in tin foils, so it'll be a while then. Completely oblivious. 😑
That reminds me of something that happened at my PT session last week. It's in a community space that by day is a parent hub but by night it has studio space for PTs and exercise classes but also is a singing /drama school so at the same time the classes are on, parents are sitting in the cafe area waiting for their kids to finish their singing lesson.

We were just preparing to start our workout when all of a sudden over the Bluetooth speaker some music randomly started playing. It was a song from the Matilda musical. We all looked at each other, then checked our phones to make sure it wasn't us, then we realised there was a kid in the waiting room watching Matilda on her iPad and it had hooked up to the Bluetooth in the studio! Parent and child were absolutely oblivious to it even though it was blaring out at full blast🤣

Reactions: 1