Chateau Diaries #73 The shake, rattle and blowing radiators in the Shittoo.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Patty Martens arrived at Lalande 9/27 and stayed until 10/5. Friday 10/1 was a rough day for Patty, Why???🤔 She is not the first guest/volunteer to have a hard time. I am not a fan of Selmar, but it was very kind of him and Tatty to make her a flower arrangement. Someone will eventually will spill the tea.

9/13 Monday's gift grab live chat...

MsPmartensHello @Cat T - I'll be at Lalande next week and hope to meet you. That is if I can find it - I'll be driving
MsPmartens@Celeste R - maybe our paths will cross. I leave Oct 5.
9/28 Tuesday's CD live chat...
Patty Martens hi @jetje goes Dutch I'm watching from Lalande.
Neil Hartley @Patty Martens glad you made it there safely
Patty Martens thanks Neil.
Patty Martens it was an epic journey to get here.

Comments from Selmar's and Tatty's latest flog.

View attachment 801966
MsPmartens

1 day ago
Selmar and Tatiana, your gift of flowers was so beautiful it made me cry tears of joy after having such a rough day on Friday. The two of you made my stay at Lalande really special. You are both so kind, interesting, giving, and creative. It was an honor to meet you and dine with you. And the tango lesson was the best. I wish you both all good things. You taught me so much about gratitude and positivity. I know you will attract love and goodness because that is what you give to others.
Maybe the rough day was when she arrived and saw the state of the place?

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 25
Sami Lee
#1,004

Can you be more precise about what you're wanting of family history? To find out about your own family? Or something more general? (TBH I'm not sure what a night school can really show you

that you can't do already!)
If you're looking specifically for your own recent British ancestors (from 1837 when registration was made compulsory) you could start here
FREE BMD - https://www.freebmd.org.uk/
FREE CEN - https://www.freecen.org.uk/
(I've transcribed many census and other records for these two).
FAMILY SEARCH - https://www.familysearch.org/en/

If you haven't already watched these, I'd recommend:
Who do you think you are? (
UK TV series on notable people's family history - it's a bit light and doesn't show much how to DIY in depth)
Finding your roots
(Prof. Henry Louis Gates Jnr - US TV series on notable people's family history - shows how proper research is done and use of DNA testing. I really like this one, Prof Gates is a proper academic and usually gets to the heart of things!)

Note that all these programmes invariably become tearjerkers! It's often very moving when you find real evidence of your forebears and some of the facts of their lives and struggles.

Enjoy

Chocolategoggler said:
Thanks for your extensive reply Sami Lee
I would like to join with like-minded people in a class or something so we can bounce off each other.
I will look at what you have suggested. I have been on a site similar to Ancestry and printed off birth, marriage. death and census records but although I am not nosy I do want to know why, both for general as well as family history I sussed out through watching Who Do You Think You Are that my great grandparents didn't marry straight away as one or both was already married. I even went to mediums as I have a photo which everyone thinks is me but it is over a 100 years old and my ancestors on the other side told me to not search online but visit graveyards and where they used to live and also to get family records and photos from a family member as his wife would destroy them out of spite. When I got these records there was a letter in there which made me bawl as it was so beautiful and which made me understand a relative's behaviour due to the terrible burden placed on him as a male child. Through my family tree search I can see a thread running through the family as to why my dad is interested in certain things and chose the job he did - like osmosis. It's fascinating. Sorry for waffling on but thanks for your help. ♥
It's good to hear from you and more about your interest in family history. I'm glad to be of a little help.
That 'family thread' business is fascinating, isn't it? It's an odd coincidence that you should mention it. Only yesterday a kindly close friend of 30yrs suggested a very particular job that I should be doing. A highly skilled job that only a very tiny number of usually male people ever do anywhere in the world.
"Oh! Really??!", I spluttered, very surprised. "That's exactly what my great grandmother did!" (At a time when no lady did anything but run an elegant, efficient household and graciously distribute alms to villagers!)

My friend wasn't to know that. But she knows me well enough to spot the same attributes that my g grandmama, whom I never knew, had. Have to say, it's something that's never crossed my mind to do though I knew her family had long been in a related field.

It all makes me really think about caste systems. Where, as in India, historic Judaism and far east countries, people had the same occupations and interests through generations.

Then there are studies of twins, separated at birth and ignorant of each other, whose life paths are almost exactly the same....

Many of the TV programmes also depict similar occupations through generations - even though the ancestors were completely unknown to the searcher.
Maybe there are some attributes and traits that are very strong and genetically inescapable?

So, anyway, to make all this a bit more relevant to our topics here, I'd bet that SJ's antecedents were what we used to call 'Irish gypsies'. Door to door tinkers, selling 'antique' peg dolls, telling fantastic tales while reading your palm, coercing you into crossing their palms with silver in exchange for tin trinkets done up to look like silver....!

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Could be.But the Bourneau chateau looks very disneylandish, something that ßeems to appeal to many people.The cottages can support the renovation cost . The Fleuries have only 3 rooms?
Yes, well obviously they are vying for different target groups. I could imaging staying there when visiting the Normandy coast again, and that is something you could do all year round. I do have my doubts that costs can be covered, even with a full occupation over a longer period, and maybe they are starting to realize that?

Reactions: 7
Exactly !

Pam A
9 hours ago
There is definitely some bro man affection going on there lol. So funny. Dan you need to talk to Steph about having a French language day once a week and everybody needs to speak nothing but French. Even if you cant speak the language, making the effort is what counts especially when you are living in France to show appreciation for the honour. Its 40 years since I lived in France but I still remember everything I learned then. Its a beautiful language.
Show less

• Heart
Reactions: 29
24,000 views in less than 24 hours on the Two Blokes in a Van vlog……amazing!!!!! And 900 comments.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 27
Yes, well obviously they are vying for different target groups. I could imaging staying there when visiting the Normandy coast again, and that is something you could do all year round. I do have my doubts that costs can be covered, even with a full occupation over a longer period, and maybe they are starting to realize that?
Renting out bnb rooms won't be that profitable.I guess that's why they're pushing their patreon account so much

Reactions: 7
I found it interesting to hear that Amaury and Natti speak French to each other so she can learn. Why doesn't he speak French to Stephanie too... I presume because she doesn't want to

Edited to note... I fall behind by one day... And it takes me a week to catch up with these threads!!!!
Amaury: voulez vous coucher avec moi ?
Nati: je veux coucher avec toi.
Je ne veux pas coucher avec toi.
Je vais coucher avec toi
J'ai couché avec toi.
Je coucherais avec toi.
Je dois coucher avec toi.
Je devrais coucher avec toi.
Je peux coucher avec toi.
Mais ça coûte cher...

I've never been with a man whose sense of humor even came close to mine...LOL...but, IF I was to ever think of having another man in my life...that guy had better be able to make me laugh!!!!...(Never gonna happen since I'm a nun now...you know...don't want none, ain't lookin' for none, yadda yadda yadda...)
Haha, the only people making me laugh recently are here on tattle 🙄

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23
Renting out bnb rooms won't be that profitable.I guess that's why they're pushing their patreon account so much
Oh absolutely! Much easier to push Patreon to rake in the cash vs. trying to turn rooms over on a daily basis and everything involved with that!

Reactions: 13
Amaury: voulez vous coucher avec moi ?
Nati: je veux coucher avec toi.
Je ne veux pas coucher avec toi.
Je vais coucher avec toi
J'ai couché avec toi.
Je coucherais avec toi.
Je dois coucher avec toi.
Je devrais coucher avec toi.
Je peux coucher avec toi.
Mais ça coûte cher...

Haha, the only people making me laugh recently are here on tattle 🙄
Reminds me of the old days. Off to practice my French on Mrs G ;) Sometimes saying do you want to come to my shed in French doesn't quite cut it 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 29
Did Steph say she was going to London this week (in her flat) ?

The 2 lads are in UK too.

Would a summit meeting be possible ?

BTW : Where is PhiPhi now ? Lalande ? Amsterdan ? or London ?

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Hope this is OK to share. As you probably realised I am based in the NW UK. My big brother has lived and worked in the USA for most of the past 30+ years. He has Multiple Sclerosis and recently he has had a really bad attack. This has been difficult for me but more so for my elderly parents as they felt helpless when they wanted to be there to help him. Eternally grateful to my brother's ex wife and my niece who have looked after him. He was in a wheelchair, pretty much completely immobile and having to wear adult diapers as he couldn't get himself to the loo. Today he has sent me a pic of himself standing with a walking stick. The caption says "walking again!". I am overjoyed. So happy I could cry. Whenever I get stressed over stupid, trivial things I am going to click on this picture. ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 56
Hope this is OK to share. As you probably realised I am based in the NW UK. My big brother has lived and worked in the USA for most of the past 30+ years. He has Multiple Sclerosis and recently he has had a really bad attack. This has been difficult for me but more so for my elderly parents as they felt helpless when they wanted to be there to help him. Eternally grateful to my brother's ex wife and my niece who have looked after him. He was in a wheelchair, pretty much completely immobile and having to wear adult diapers as he couldn't get himself to the loo. Today he has sent me a pic of himself standing with a walking stick. The caption says "walking again!". I am overjoyed. So happy I could cry. Whenever I get stressed over stupid, trivial things I am going to click on this picture. ❤
I'm glad you got such good news from your darling brother. 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 22
Hi Marquis fiancé. My husband of 34 years and I are similar heights to you. I gave up heels years ago as I will never reach his height. Buying clothes for a 6'6" man (or woman) here in Ireland is slowly getting easier but choice is rubbish, he loved shopping in the US.

Ireland has a tiny Jewish population (about 2k) and I had school friends back in the 70's. Unfortunately a lot of them leave to towns like Manchester in the UK to meet partners from the same faith which I understand is the preferred. If this is too much please don't answer I am just interested in how the marquis family are with you.
The Marquis Fiancee here:

The Marquis family belongs to one of the largest Reform synagogues in Manhattan that count a lot of prominent NY Jews among its numbers. Reform Jews are liberal/progressive. They believe that Judaism is an evolving faith and emphasize the ethical/moral teachings of Judaism over ceremonial observance. They believe that it is in the heart and not the blood--so for them being a Jew is not a race, it is a choice. They believe it is the calling of every person to Tikkun Olam (repair the world) and fight against all forms of injustice. That said, even though finding Jewish partners is preferred, their synagogue is very welcoming to interfaith couples; they even have a ministry that aims for the full inclusion of Jews of color into all branches of Judaism. His family embodies the teachings of their community and therefore, has been very warm and kind to me in the most sincere way from the first day I met them. They don't tell me to convert.

@Marquis de Potpourri One day I'd love to hear how Sabbat is observed and practiced. I love learning about practices like this.
The Marquis observes Shabbat in the Reform way. At sundown on Fridays, the family attends what they call Kabbalat Shabbat, a service that welcomes Shabbat. The candles are lit, they sing songs and recite a lot of prayers, hear a sermon, and end with kiddush--they share wine and break bread (the challah). They go home and eat dinner prepared and served by their domestic staff. Many observant Jewish families who don't have domestic staff prepare the food in advance but employ or seek the help of what they call a Shabbat goy (Shabbat Gentile) to help serve dinner and clean up after the meal. I read that Elvis Presley was a Shabbat goy to a Jewish family in Memphis. On Saturday morning, when in the city, the family stays at home and does whatever fills them. They read a nice book/magazine, take a nap, cuddle on the couch and watch Netflix (like now, he is watching the final episode of The Crown). (Some Saturday mornings, they/we get invited to a Bar/Bat Mitzvah ceremony at the synagogue usually followed by a lunch party.) We go for an early afternoon stroll (1 kilometer), and have afternoon tea at our favorite tea shop, which is fortunately just around the corner from his parents' townhouse. We go home and rest some more, have dinner, and they do Havdalah, right after dinner, a ceremony of separation between the holy and the secular signaling the end of Shabbat.

The idea is, to take a 24-hour break from activities that empty you and do things that fill you. It's very healthy.

• Heart
Reactions: 36
Did she thought? She pushed her daughter to do A-levels in French at the age of 12. She dropped La Jarvis off at her Bonne Maman almost every holiday.
Curiosly I wonder why La Jarvis never decided to study French at Oxford, she would have had access to a native speaker at any given time...

Even Dawny has one...
What on earth is he doing in Thailand

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.