Chateau Diaries #109 Capability Brown meets Incapability Jarvis.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m running a book on how many of those Waterford glasses make it back to Lalaland. Let’s face it they don’t have enough and that was a (not so) subtle hint about wanting to add to his new collection. So now, all you darling old dears can send your unwanted vintage Waterford cut glass to young PhiPhi m’lad and he’ll tell you all about the difference between sherry and hock once he’s consulted Prof Google.🤓
Waterford crystal is virtually worthless - nobody wants it and you can pick them up for much less than their original price. I get them for $5.00 a goblet that originally cost $75.00 - $100.00. Hundreds of them are offered every month on LiveAuctioneers. Baccarat is worthless as well.

The crystal I collect is Russian from the Imperial glass factory. it sells for $1000- $2500 a goblet and is very hard to find. Sotheby's and Christies have a few pieces every year for auction. Last year I was able to add just two goblets to my collection. I must have 200 pieces of Waterford that have been packed away for 4 years. Imagine how expensive it would be to mail crystal from South Africa to France.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Where's our pal, Beau Monde? I hope he hasn't left! No presence since Thursday. :(
He liked a post of mine today, I'm guessing due to lack of new material perhaps he's laying low? There isn't really much to chin wag about at the moment..

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I’m running a book on how many of those Waterford glasses make it back to Lalaland. Let’s face it they don’t have enough and that was a (not so) subtle hint about wanting to add to his new collection. So now, all you darling old dears can send your unwanted vintage Waterford cut glass to young PhiPhi m’lad and he’ll tell you all about the difference between sherry and hock once he’s consulted Prof Google.🤓
Screw him. Those glasses are $70 a stem. Good luck keeping a set in a Shitoo with stone floors and volunteers washing the dishes. He needs to keep them in Narnia with his Grand Pappy’s dishes. He can go up there and drink sherry by himself while he fingers his three remaining strands of hair.

• Haha
Reactions: 31
I am Really waiting for Beau Monde's thoughts of our dear one in hospital !!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
He liked a post of mine today, I'm guessing due to lack of new material perhaps he's laying low? There isn't really much to chin wag about at the moment..
So long as he's ok. I'm kind of fond of a lot of you and I notice when someone is MIA.

Speaking of new material, there was a new cadeau today that I couldn't bring myself to finish!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Waterford crystal is virtually worthless - nobody wants it and you can pick them up for much less than their original price. I get them for $5.00 a goblet that originally cost $75.00 - $100.00. Hundreds of them are offered every month on LiveAuctioneers. Baccarat is worthless as well.
It depends on the specific pattern, age, and piece with both Waterford and Baccarat. The hock glasses Snortymcsquirrelnuts bought go for about $30-$50 apiece on Ebay. That decanter would go anywhere from $85 up to $250.

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
Screw him. Those glasses are $70 a stem. Good luck keeping a set in a Shitoo with stone floors and volunteers washing the dishes. He needs to keep them in Narnia with his Grand Pappy’s dishes. He can go up there and drink sherry by himself while he fingers his three remaining strands of hair.
Thank you OhIDontKnow ....... best laugh ever!!
Its bloody hot here at the moment ... around 33c and it will get hotter in the late afternoon..... I was feeling a bit "pekey" but you gave me a great laugh imagining him up there with a sherry and not much hair !

Oh....... by the way Squirrel Boy friend .... you cannot call a bottle "Sherry" unless it comes from Spain here in Australia .
Australian Sherry has to be named " Apera ".........there , a little fact that you can stick in your pipe and smoke it .... we know you read here.

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 29
Not just dirt??
Oops! Just saw the next pic. It was a boo boo.
Maybe he got a staph infection in that hand?
Maybe without out alcohol or drugs he had some withdrawal symptoms that caused the docs to order a brain scan because of his mental status.
I suspect TeaBag isn't the type to keep up on his immunizations, as this is why it is recommended to get a tetanus shot every 10 years- you get cut by something unsanitary and it can turn into something nasty quite quickly. (I did not watch the video, but I highly doubt he immediately went indoors to wash the wound out with soap, disinfect it with rubbing alcohol, cover it in NeoSporin and bandage it- Pa probably told him to suck it up and rub some dirt into it.) When a doctor suspects someone may have Tetanus, they may perform a brain scan depending on the symptoms to ensure the bacteria has not traveled to the brain. I have no idea of that is what he is even being seen for, but it would make sense. Unfortunately, there is no cure for Tetanus- it has to run its course (which is about 2 weeks), drugs have to be administered to regulate it and can take about a month to recover. It can be deadly if not treated properly.

Public Service Announcement: If you've not had a Tetanus jab in the past 10 years, PLEASE get one!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 32
So long as he's ok. I'm kind of fond of a lot of you and I notice when someone is MIA.

Speaking of new material, there was a new cadeau today that a couldn't bring myself to finish!
That is sweet of you Le Baiseur .... people here are wonderful and very kind to each other.

Oh..... I fast forwarded that Gift Grab...... honestly its so boring and shocking!!! The woman needs to stop it for many reasons!!!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
2F516ED1-0C28-4F60-8197-8B4F84CCB9DC.jpeg

Hello my name is Snorty and I am sooooo desperate to be famous that I bought a glass. I am happy with my glass and if you have a glass mail it to me and I will have glasses.
939A6CA9-7ACE-4D0C-8950-3F16C9DCB6C8.jpeg

I like pineapple juice not to be confused with lemon juice, that can kill me. My girlfriend likes wine and gin and anything really that numbs her most days.
2DA22ED9-F230-4ECE-89D0-8B4D7D21E81C.jpeg

This is pretty and you don’t have one. You can not afford one and you are not in SA so you should pay me money.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 43
Its bloody hot here at the moment ... around 33c and it will get hotter in the late afternoon..... I was feeling a bit "pekey" but you gave me a great laugh imagining him up there with a sherry and not much hair !
I imagine him in the Narnia attic wearing fuzzy pants, a scarf without a shirt clomping around in boots pretending he's Mr. Tumnas.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
It depends on the specific pattern, age, and piece with both Waterford and Baccarat. The hock glasses Snortymcsquirrelnuts bought go for about $30-$50 apiece on Ebay. That decanter would go anywhere from $85 up to $250
Gosh I would hate to try to transport it back to the Chateau ..... excess $$$ baggage??? Lot of weight there.

• Haha
Reactions: 13

Speaking of new material, there was a new cadeau today that a couldn't bring myself to finish!
Same...I was starting to worry myself...I'd like to imagine he had a nice weekend away someplace warm...it's terribly cold where he's at. ❤

I skipped through about 4 seconds of it and just couldn't bring myself to watch the greedy buggers at all. I had been fast forwarding through them leading up to the holidays and after, but I don't think I can watch the grifting gift grabbing anymore. It's sort of nauseating to me at this point. Instead, I watched Dan using unseasoned wood to re-do the slats on the benches around the farmhouse and then saw him install flammable wood molding up around his wood burning stove in his studio. :rolleyes:🤣

• Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 27
Speaking of new material, there was a new cadeau today that I couldn't bring myself to finish!
I watched it with a LOT of fast forwarding- like watching paint dry. I have noticed that this one and the previous Cadeaux recently are only featuring cookbooks, crafted items, more fabric, thrift store finds and tat from grannies cleaning out their attics or crafting... Where are the magnums of Bollinger? Spode? Limoges? Fortnum & Mason hampers? Dolce & Gabbana? Aqua di Parma? Either the grannies have gotten thriftier this year (doubt it), or Fanny has finally realized she was supposed to be paying tax on the high-dollar luxury gifts she receives, and isn't featuring them now that she knows the "Tax Man Cometh".

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 34
2F516ED1-0C28-4F60-8197-8B4F84CCB9DC.jpeg

Hello my name is Snorty and I am sooooo desperate to be famous that I bought a glass. I am happy with my glass and if you have a glass mail it to me and I will have glasses.
939A6CA9-7ACE-4D0C-8950-3F16C9DCB6C8.jpeg

I like pineapple juice not to be confused with lemon juice, that can kill me. My girlfriend likes wine and gin and anything really that numbs her most days.
2DA22ED9-F230-4ECE-89D0-8B4D7D21E81C.jpeg

This is pretty and you don’t have one. You can not afford one and you are not in SA so you should pay me money.
One of your best !!
I will be laughing through this heatwave we are in ..... perhaps next Tuesday it may be cooler - so keep them coming please! :love:

Where are the magnums of Bollinger? Spode? Limoges? Fortnum & Mason hampers? Dolce & Gabbana? Aqua di Parma? Either the grannies have gotten thriftier this year (doubt it), or Fanny has finally realized she was supposed to be paying tax on the high-dollar luxury gifts she receives, and isn't featuring them now that she knows the "Tax Man Cometh".
Well spotted !
Yes...... she had some mucho $$$ stuff being sent for ages but its all dried up !
Or...... has it????

• Heart
Reactions: 23

Oh....... by the way Squirrel Boy friend .... you cannot call a bottle "Sherry" unless it comes from Spain here in Australia .
Australian Sherry has to be named " Apera ".........there , a little fact that you can stick in your pipe and smoke it .... we know you read here.
I cracked up myself with the image of the 3 strands on his head...thanks @OhIDontKnow... !

I did some serious eye rolling when I scrolled through the comments under his vlog...people saying things like "bring back Sherry Phillip"...news flash kids...sherry never went anywhere! He's a bit late for a resurgence...that started about 8 years ago.

Gosh I would hate to try to transport it back to the Chateau ..... excess $$$ baggage??? Lot of weight there.
Right? I can't begin to imagine what it would cost to ship it from SA, never mind carrying it on the plane. Although, now that his sugar mama is rolling in the dough, no expense should be too much for her support squirrel.

One of your best !!
I will be laughing through this heatwave we are in ..... perhaps next Tuesday it may be cooler - so keep them coming please! :love:

Well spotted !
Yes...... she had some mucho $$$ stuff being sent for ages but its all dried up !
Or...... has it????
If I could swap out weather with you I would! We're due snow Friday & Saturday with overnight & daytime temperatures below freezing. Fingers crossed you get a bit of respite from the heatwave this week. 😘

You know, I've always wondered if she's been paying taxes on all of the high value stuff that's come through the gift grab. One time she got a bunch of bohemian glass that neither she nor snorts knew what it was...the pieces were easily worth upwards of $200-$400 each. When you start adding up the expensive gift values, she's liable for a lot of duty for as long as she's been accepting gifts from viewers...

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 26
I can't begin to imagine what it would cost to ship it from SA, never mind carrying it on the plane. Although, now that his sugar mama is rolling in the dough, no expense should be too much for her support squirrel.
I suspect IJ egged him to buy them when they were in the shop together, knowing full well he is an idiot and that it will take some effort and expense to get them back to France. Exactly the type of underhandedness I expect from IJ.

• Haha
Reactions: 30
The Fleuries posted a new video of the concrete being poured for their new kitchen. Philipp opened with: "A couple of days ago, this was still a shabby, neglected, run-down room..." (Many chuckles, as the Fleuries kitchen was far nicer, functional and cleaner in its "derelict state" than the CLL kitchen on a good day- Fanny, take some notes.) They also had a bunch of trees that were downed in a previous storm (and bartered with their farmer neighbour to haul it away for firewood), and the farmer's horse escaped the fence and decided, "Honfleur is nice- I'll spend the day here." Anna, who has apparently befriended all of the horses, and knew the one by name, led it back home, which was quite endearing. Phillip set up the makeshift kitchen counter (which looked precarious AF, but Anna was kind, and said it looked great) in the laundry room temporary kitchen, and explained later that while they initially wanted underfloor heating, it would have cost an additional $5K, so they nix'ed the idea, and instead are adding extra insulation. (Priorities and projects apparently differ between chateaus, as Fanny spent that amount on wallpaper for a powder room for a chateau that has no proper heating.) While some find the Fleuries dull, I enjoy their vlogs, as they work together, get things done properly in an order that makes sense, and prioritize their projects and stick to budget without being ostentatious. I am looking forward to the kitchen reveal after it is done.

• Heart
Reactions: 63
I suspect IJ egged him to buy them when they were in the shop together, knowing full well he is an idiot and that it will take some effort and expense to get them back to France. Exactly the type of underhanded thing I expect from IJ.
Perhaps IJ's hoping he'll just leave it at her house in SA...you know that's not going to be his last shopping excursion. Since the shop owner told him that the couple she was selling the crystal for was downsizing, I'm betting we'll see him pick up more pieces for his new found collection of Waterford crystal before the dynamic duo heads back to the farmhouse. To be honest, if I were in a shop with that much old Waterford with the original boxes, I'd snap it up as well. :)

The Fleuries posted a new video of the concrete being poured for their new kitchen. Philipp opened with: "A couple of days ago, this was still a shabby, neglected, run-down room..." (Many chuckles, as the Fleuries kitchen was far nicer, functional and cleaner in its "derelict state" than the CLL kitchen on a good day- Fanny, take some notes.) They also had a bunch of trees that were downed in a previous storm (and bartered with their farmer neighbour to haul it away for firewood), and the farmer's horse escaped the fence and decided, "Honfleur is nice- I'll spend the day here." Anna, who has apparently befriended all of the horses, and knew the one by name, led it back home, which was quite endearing. Phillip set up the makeshift kitchen counter (which looked precarious AF, but Anna was kind, and said it looked great) in the laundry room temporary kitchen, and explained later that while they initially wanted underfloor heating, it would have cost an additional $5K, so they nix'ed the idea, and instead are adding extra insulation. (Priorities and projects apparently differ between chateaus, as Fanny spent that amount on wallpaper for a powder room for a chateau that has no proper heating.) While some find the Fleuries dull, I enjoy their vlogs, as they work together, get things done properly in an order that makes sense, and prioritize their projects and stick to budget without being ostentatious. I am looking forward to the kitchen reveal after it is done.
Agreed, I'm looking forward to seeing the new kitchen too...I really enjoy watching them. They have a great dynamic and it's refreshing to see them complete the jobs they start out to do. If they're not capable on their own, they have no qualms about hiring properly trained and professional help when necessary...it's nice watching responsible adulting. They know how to prioritize properly and don't spend money foolishly, unlike the lady of the farmhouse whose show can promote anxiety....these two are easy to watch and I love seeing their property come together. It was pretty funny when Philipp said he wanted a donkey and then Anna replied that she'd be the one to end up taking care of it...I think she's right. ;)

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 35
Congratulations to @john eccles Title thread winner. :m:m:m

MojoDublin
VIP Member

Yesterday at 9:58 AM

Title thread 🧵
Author ✍ @john eccles

Capability Brown meets Incapability Jarvis.

Reactions:FancyFace, Auntie Mame, MagpieSassyPants and 36 others

Most Liked Previous thread

@The Lickety Split

Friday at 2:42 PM
Well.

So, I've stumbled across this site by accident and realised this was the so-called hate site the MP called out in his vlog. I started reading it out of curiosity and for the past month or so, I have to say, I found the gossip here is far more entertaining than watching The Chateau Diaries.

Full disclosure, I don't watch TCD. I find the vlogs dull and aimless. There's no...entertainment factor. It's just a person bringing their phone around with them constantly and filming everything. Just because SJ vlogs...doesn't actually mean there's anything worth vlogging. The Pethricks have the same problem. I watch youtube to be entertained. And watching people going about their daily lives is not entertaining, at all.

Anyway, all this brings me to the reason why I'm posting today (my original plan was to lurk forever. Oh well). I'm not sure if anyone's noticed this, but as of today, the Fleuries have passed SJ in subscriber count.

Ever since the BBC published the article about French chateau owners using Youtube to pay for their chateau, SJ has gained 3K subscribers and the Fleuries...have gained 46K. And, they're still going. In fact, I've started noticing the Fleuries gaining more views and subscribers in the last week or so. You'd almost say they're going semi-viral. Their 2 years looking back video has gone past 1 million views and, in comparison, SJ's 'How Youtube is renovating my chateau' is sitting at 158K.

So why are the two channels, both chateau channels, and both featured on the BBC article, having such different responses? Well, if you asked me, one has content and actual direction in the vlogs (however boring the Fleuries may be) and the other is kinda aimless, plotless and pointless. When I bake a cake, however long the process, at the end, I want to be able to eat a cake. Watching SJ's vlog doesn't make me feel like I'm getting a cake.

Uh, anyway, enough talking about cake....back to the original question that sparked this post.

There's been a lot of discussion about SJ getting her comeuppance - losing her patrons, the scales falling off the eyes of her fans or the tax man come collecting. I had a thought, what if it's none of the above? What if her viewers and patrons simply...lose interest? Will her superfans and patrons hold on until the end of time? Or will they gradually lose interest as they realise that every video is just life, love and laughter on repeat?

(On the side note, as I was typing this, I realised the BBC didn't use the title 'Save their chateau' as SJ does but rather, they say 'to pay for their chateau'. I think they see past the bullshit, just like Tattlers do.)

Reactions:You, Freesia54, StephaniesSupportConsort and 77 others

@Marquis de Potpourri
VIP Member

Friday at 4:20 AM
O MY GOSH! HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?
selmar5.png

JUST KIDDING! IT'S A PIPE DREAM.
IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN! :LOL: ✌ 💥
SORRY, UNICORNS.

Last edited: Friday at 4:27 AM
Reactions:You, StephaniesSupportConsort, Chilimango and 60 others

@Clara Burnett
VIP Member

Friday at 7:27 AM

A farce indeed. Before she started filming this episode they carefully removed all tat SJ previously received on her grab-channel from creative super fans and filled up the big garbage bins outside with it. SJ was quiet pleased with herself for preventing us from spotting recognizable items, thinking for once she was ahead of the game.

Reactions:You, Shannaswood, JumpingJacks and 55 others
I feel like I saw a ton of garbage bags next to the wood she threw out the window- someone posted an aerial shot a while ago-Could those be the “crappy” gifts they have received?

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.