Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ahh, I also got The Warm Hands of Ghosts and City of Stardust! Waterstones have really stepped up the spredge game, these look beautiful.
They really have!! It’s dangerous because I can’t resist - them but I love Waterstones for if.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Clearly we're all going to have great looking shelves 😉

Popped into my local waterstones to buy my sister something (The Marriage Portrait, took @CommentBelow's bookmark tip to bump it over £10 which I guess actually just means I got a free bookmark), and they said that they'd had a pretty quiet day yesterday, but I guess I do a lot of my double stamps shopping online, so probably not all that surprising.

Reactions: 4
My special edition Fourth Wing arrived today 😍

Do I even read fantasy books? No.

Am I easily led? Yes.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 17
I’m currently reading Mat Osman’s The Ghost Theatre and really enjoying it.
Oooh I'm intrigued by that, I saw it on the shelf the other week but decided my TBR pile is too high. I might have to go back for it now.
---
I keep going to pick up ink black heart and then put it back on my shelf due to the size 😂 I think I'm going to save it for the in between Christmas and NY days when I have nothing else to do but read and eat chocolate.

I've just finished Death Comes to Marlow, the second Marlow Murder Club, and think I potentially prefer them to Thursday Murder Club?
Oooh I am also intrigued by the Marlow Murder Club, having read the Thursday ones.

Reactions: 2
My special edition Fourth Wing arrived today 😍

Do I even read fantasy books? No.

Am I easily led? Yes.
I’ve asked for this and Iron Flame too and I’m the same as you.

I also want to start reading the Strike books. I have the first on my kindle and have bought the 6th today from a charity shop. It’s hefty!

I know a few of you have read them. Do they need to be read in order?

• Haha
Reactions: 6

I also want to start reading the Strike books. I have the first on my kindle and have bought the 6th today from a charity shop. It’s hefty!

Yes, definitely in order! There is so much backstory with the two main characters.

Clearly we're all going to have great looking shelves 😉

Popped into my local waterstones to buy my sister something (The Marriage Portrait, took @CommentBelow's bookmark tip to bump it over £10 which I guess actually just means I got a free bookmark), and they said that they'd had a pretty quiet day yesterday, but I guess I do a lot of my double stamps shopping online, so probably not all that surprising.
I added a book mark to yesterdays order to round over the next £10 and felt pretty pleased Waterstones are practically paying me (in stamps) for a bookmark lol

• Haha
So Kiley Reid’s new book was entirely meh.

now I start Emily Austin’s.

I far preferred Austin’s “Everyone in this Room will Someday be Dead” to Reid’s “Such a Fun Age” so my expectations are higher going into this !

I read them totally out of order. You can watch it on catch up TV too - think BBC iPlayer but the books are miles better.

It’s taken me 5 pages and 4 days to realise we’re on a new thread! And for once it’s because I’ve actually been reading and not scrolling. I’ve been working my way through the Iron Flame audiobook for the last few days. Only 3 and a bit hours to go!

I feel like I’m missing out on all the Waterstones action but I never buy physical books - only kindle versions or audiobooks. I have just discovered the MinaLima Harry Potter books though, they look incredible!!! My 5 year old has got into Harry Potter (through the films) and I was going to get the illustrated copies I have out of storage to read with him a little further down the line but I think I need the MinaLima ones instead!

Reactions: 12
Anyone read this if it's so good?

"From an exciting new voice in WWII historical fiction comes a tale of love, loss and a betrayal that echoes through generations…

Paris, 1940: War is closing in on the city of love. With his wife forced into hiding, Jacques must stand by and watch as the Nazis take away everything he holds dear. Everything except his last beacon of hope: his beloved bookshop, La Page Cachée.

But when a young woman and her child knock on his door one night and beg for refuge, he knows his only option is to risk it all once more to save a life…

Modern day: Juliette and her husband have finally made it to France on the romantic getaway of her dreams - but as the days pass, all she discovers is quite how far they've grown apart. She's craving a new adventure, so when she happens across a tiny, abandoned shop with a for-sale sign in the window, it feels fated.

And she's about to learn that the forgotten bookshop hides a lot more than meets the eye…

A heartbreaking tale of love and loss in war, perfect for fans of Kate Quinn and Jennifer Chiaverini.

Readers love The Forgotten Bookshop in Paris:

'Oh my!!! This is one of those books you just can't put down or stop thinking about. A must read.' NetGalley reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

'One of my favourite reads of the year. The two timelines are seamlessly [woven] together… I loved it!' NetGalley reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

'A truly wonderful read that you will not want to put down!' NetGalley reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

'This book had me mesmerised from beginning to end. Highly recommended.' NetGalley reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

'A heck of a good story filled with hope, and heartbreaking at the same time. Brilliantly written!' NetGalley reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

'Such a stunning read! Five stars.' NetGalley reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

'A truly riveting read. If you love historical fiction, this one ticks all the boxes. Five out of five!' NetGalley reviewer, ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

From an exciting new voice in WWII historical fiction comes a tale of love, loss and a betrayal that echoes through generations…

Reviews
Praise for Daisy Wood:

'A ticking time-bomb of intrigue, wrapped around stark but rich descriptions of the Blitz. An unforgettable wartime debut.' Mandy Robotham, internationally bestselling author of The Berlin Girl

'I couldn't put it down. My favourite kind of historical fiction.' Reviewer

'Wonderful.' Reviewer

'Brilliantly captures the essence of 1940s England. Highly recommended!' Reviewer

Set between WWII and today, and America and England, I totally loved this outstandingly amazing book. Five stars!' Reviewer

'Daisy Wood skillfully navigates between two timelines, and her descriptions of the war are really masterful.' Reviewer

'The perfect blend of historical fiction and espionage.' Reviewer

'Beautifully written… I highly recommend this treasure!' Reviewer

From an exciting new voice in WWII historical fiction comes a tale of love, loss and a betrayal that echoes through generations…"

For any JP Delaney fans, Playing Nice is being made into a TV mini series featuring James Norton… yessssss.

Hoping for good things. I read it in March 2021 and after reading the synopsis, can vaguely remember the storyline which can only be a good sign 😅
I've read all of J P Delaney books except the latest (which I'm hoping to get from the library at some point). I've enjoyed them all, although he hasn't so far written many. I find his stories intriguing and quite unique.

Reactions: 3
Amazon have all the HP Minalima books on offer and they are absolutely stunning. Mine arrived from Waterstones and I love it.

Im having to restrain myself from buying the other 2 now.

• Wow
Amazon have all the HP Minalima books on offer and they are absolutely stunning. Mine arrived from Waterstones and I love it.

Im having to restrain myself from buying the other 2 now.
I really want them, they look so beautiful! I could pretend I’m getting them for my son but he’s only 4, so would be a long wait before he’s allowed to even touch them 😆

Reactions: 3
I really want them, they look so beautiful! I could pretend I’m getting them for my son but he’s only 4, so would be a long wait before he’s allowed to even touch them 😆
The illustrated versions by Jim Kay are beautiful too and less delicate. My eldest has those but hes stepped down now and the full collection hasnt been released :(

My favourite genre is a good mystery/murder mystery but does anyone else find that if they don't figure out who it was they are frustrated at themselves for not picking up the clues and if they do figure it out they're frustrated that it wasn't a shock twist? Perhaps I need a different genre... 😂

• Haha
My favourite genre is a good mystery/murder mystery but does anyone else find that if they don't figure out who it was they are frustrated at themselves for not picking up the clues and if they do figure it out they're frustrated that it wasn't a shock twist? Perhaps I need a different genre... 😂
no i’m the opposite, I love when the writer goes completely different to what I thought. I often find this genre quite Cliched and you can usually guess way before you reach the end so i’m always pleasantly surprised when it takes a different turn.

Reactions: 9
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.