Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve started a book! It’s A Very Merry Manhattan Christmas so extremely easy reading, but it’s nice to be reading again 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I might go for a festive read.

Lots of the books I want to read and intended to read this year but haven't are hefty - I am Pilgrim, Fourth Wing, Love Songs of WEB du Bois and I just don't feel in the head space for a chunky read.

I've got a random book on my shelf called The Christmas Party by Carole Matthews that I got in a blind book purchase...anyone heard of it?!

Reactions: 4
What are your thoughts on My Dark Vanessa? Just finished it, enjoyed isn't the appropriate word... but found the story interesting and the split timeline.

it should have ended 150 pages earlier, the ending seemed off to me, thoughts?

What are your thoughts on My Dark Vanessa? Just finished it, enjoyed isn't the appropriate word... but found the story interesting and the split timeline.

I think it should’ve been shorter too! I did enjoy reading it though and found it v interesting

Reactions: 3

I thought it was haunting tbh and showed the true reality of adults preying on young people.

I thought it was really well written. It wasnt a page turner for me and the long chapters were a drag but again its not a book you consume for enjoyment. Its heavy and dark and heart breaking.

I loathed it and gave it 1* which is unheard of for me. I didn't connect with the main character, thought she was pathetic and I also had zero sympathy for her. Her personality/character never developed, she may as well have been a teenager when she was in her 20s and the ending was a cop out.

Reactions: 1
I loathed it and gave it 1* which is unheard of for me. I didn't connect with the main character, thought she was pathetic and I also had zero sympathy for her. Her personality/character never developed, she may as well have been a teenager when she was in her 20s and the ending was a cop out.
Not saying this isnt a valid review because it is and I can totally see why people would hate the book. Was definitely cons for me and I did like it. However for many groomed children/teenagers they can often never fully mature properly or grow into reasonable adults because the part of their life where they are supposed to be doing that has been taken and stolen from them. Its such a sad situation :(

Reactions: 5
Me: I think I want to read something lighthearted and festive.

Also me: Starts reading The Testaments by Atwood.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
The main thing I do like about TTMC is the characters, I would actually like Osman to try something more character driven next time as I do think he observes people very well.
Totally agree, I love the characters and their relationships in TTMC but I felt in the third one this was lacking a little so I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two. Still need to read the fourth but I'm waiting for paperback

Reactions: 2
Not saying this isnt a valid review because it is and I can totally see why people would hate the book. Was definitely cons for me and I did like it. However for many groomed children/teenagers they can often never fully mature properly or grow into reasonable adults because the part of their life where they are supposed to be doing that has been taken and stolen from them. Its such a sad situation :(
Thanks for your comments everyone, glad to see I'm not on my own about the mixed emotions. Chose it as an easy read between 3rd and 4th Throne of Glass novel, don't think that choice was the best!

Reactions: 1
I've got a random book on my shelf called The Christmas Party by Carole Matthews that I got in a blind book purchase...anyone heard of it?!
I have heard of it but have never read it, however my favourite books of Carole Matthews are her Chocolate Lovers Club series as they are such cosy reads and the characters are all lovely people as you instantly connect with them.

I checked my Goodreads as thought it was her who wrote A Million Love Songs (which it was and I gave it 5 stars) and turns out I’ve also read the Christmas party and only gave it two stars I’m afraid.

I checked my Goodreads as thought it was her who wrote A Million Love Songs (which it was and I gave it 5 stars) and turns out I’ve also read the Christmas party and only gave it two stars I’m afraid.
Haha that's so random. I might give it a go but with low expectations!

Reactions: 2
Haha that's so random. I might give it a go but with low expectations!
it’s funny really because hundreds of people have given it 4 and 5 star reviews as well as hundreds like me who struggled with it. It has quite a lot of POVs which I’m less keen on. I’ll be interested to hear what you think as I can’t remember it independently but just from what I wrote in my own review.

tomorrow i'm going on a trip to sweden and these are my reading plans, i completely neglected it recently because of work:
- finish local woman missing by mary kubica
- start don't let her stay by nicola sanders
- read the gift by freida mcfadden
- finish the re-read of the 4th harry potter
looking forward to cozy snowy nights reading 📚❄☃🎄📖

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’ve only read 3 books so far this month 😅 just in a huge slump! Thinking of starting some festive reads, I’ve found so many on KU! Maybe I need some silly little romance books, you know what I mean?

I’ve only read 3 books so far this month 😅 just in a huge slump! Thinking of starting some festive reads, I’ve found so many on KU! Maybe I need some silly little romance books, you know what I mean?
Yesss I know what you mean. Do it 🥰

I am knee deep in the chestnut springs series by Elsie Silver and loving them.

I've hit my reading goal for the year so December is going to be the month of FAT BOOKS that I am otherwise concerned will ruin my momentum.

Love Songs of WEB Du Bois
Priory of the Orange Tree
The Count of Monte Cristo

I might even try and trudge through my non-fiction book on the Romanovs.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I’ve just finished the secrets of strangers and it was my first five star read in a while!
Ooh I have this in my Kindle and was just wondering what to go for next! #influenced 😂 I’m current reading None Of This Is True by Lisa Jewell and absolutely racing through it. One of my favourites of the year (as long as the ending doesn’t let it down!)

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.