Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Waited months for fairyloot, bought what's in their December box as a special edition because I thought I probably wouldn't get in for it, and just got an invite 😅 painfully I think I'm going to decline it after waiting so long because I can't double-up on books (and looking at speculation I'd have three clashes out of the next four books). I said to myself that if I didn't hear before black Friday then I'd buy the books, and then I hear on the next working day. Ah well. Sure the next person in line will be thrilled.

---

no i’m the opposite, I love when the writer goes completely different to what I thought. I often find this genre quite Cliched and you can usually guess way before you reach the end so i’m always pleasantly surprised when it takes a different turn.
I occasionally feel annoyed that it's easy to figure out and then realise I've fallen for the red herrings 😅 Agatha Christie gets me a lot.

Reactions: 2
I occasionally feel annoyed that it's easy to figure out and then realise I've fallen for the red herrings 😅 Agatha Christie gets me a lot.
Agatha gets me all the time! She really is the queen of crime. I obviously knew the twist in Orient Express and Roger Ackroyd before I read them, but they’re still so well done. I imagine reading those when they first came out would have been 🤯

I do love it when I figure out ‘whodunnit’ but it has to be at just the right point. Near enough to the end that I feel like I’m one step ahead of the detective and not soon enough that it feels too clearly sign posted.

Reactions: 4
The Winners is on a £1.99 audible cyber Monday offer.

Ive bought this book in hard back and kindle. Still havent read it. Do I buy the audio 😂 in the hope it spurs me on?

Reactions: 5
The Winners is on a £1.99 audible cyber Monday offer.

Ive bought this book in hard back and kindle. Still havent read it. Do I buy the audio 😂 in the hope it spurs me on?
Still patiently waiting for you to read it I need to know your thoughts 😂 it may feel less daunting on Kindle as when the hardback arrived I was like woaaaah

Still patiently waiting for you to read it I need to know your thoughts 😂 it may feel less daunting on Kindle as when the hardback arrived I was like woaaaah
I just havent felt like reading it 😭 which in a crappy reading year is quite shocking 😂

• Heart
Just read my first (ok I admit not the first of the year) Christmas book. Window Shopping by Tessa Bailey and wow this was bad. The plot was ridiculous with a woman straight out of prison getting a job as a window dresser for a high end department store because the guy running it 'fancy's her. The 'dirty' talk made me laugh out loud and overall it was a mess.

Made me really sad as I have a few Tessa Bailey books on my TBR pile and now I don't want to read them in case they are all bad.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Just read my first (ok I admit not the first of the year) Christmas book. Window Shopping by Tessa Bailey and wow this was bad. The plot was ridiculous with a woman straight out of prison getting a job as a window dresser for a high end department store because the guy running it 'fancy's her. The 'dirty' talk made me laugh out loud and overall it was a mess.

Made me really sad as I have a few Tessa Bailey books on my TBR pile and now I don't want to read them in case they are all bad.
Oh no. I have this to read too. I dont mind Tessa Bailey. Some of her books are better than others I think.

Reactions: 1
My favourite genre is a good mystery/murder mystery but does anyone else find that if they don't figure out who it was they are frustrated at themselves for not picking up the clues and if they do figure it out they're frustrated that it wasn't a shock twist? Perhaps I need a different genre... 😂
I defintely get frustrated if I was waaaaaay off. This along with crime and thrillers are my fave
---
Btw those who are on Netgalley and have reviewed Jane Corry before, look out for an early access email for her new book.
They know I’m a fan so I’ve just received ARC of I died on a Tuesday

Reactions: 1
I only have Z outstanding on my A-Z challenge so those of you that have read Z books, can you let me know what you read?

I don't own any Z books and couldn't find anything on Borrowbox so I'd need to buy one, so even better if it's something relatively cheap.

I only have Z outstanding on my A-Z challenge so those of you that have read Z books, can you let me know what you read?

I don't own any Z books and couldn't find anything on Borrowbox so I'd need to buy one, so even better if it's something relatively cheap.
I’ve gone for Zero Days Since Last Incident, although not read it yet. It’s on Unlimited or only 99p to buy. There’s also Zodiac Academy on Unlimited, but pricier on its own.

I’m halfway through Q, then moving onto Z. Finally finishing with X. Shouldn’t have left the harder ones til last really 😅

Reactions: 6
I’ve gone for Zero Days Since Last Incident, although not read it yet. It’s on Unlimited or only 99p to buy. There’s also Zodiac Academy on Unlimited, but pricier on its own.

I’m halfway through Q, then moving onto Z. Finally finishing with X. Shouldn’t have left the harder ones til last really 😅
I've done the same. Need to complete Q, X and Z.

I've been a little creative with Q as didn't own any books beginning with that so have gone with Red Queen

I've done the same. Need to complete Q, X and Z.

I've been a little creative with Q as didn't own any books beginning with that so have gone with Red Queen
I’ve gone for a book called… Q 😂

Then for X, I’m going to read Christmas on the Murder Express. That’ll do.

• Haha
I totally forgot about the A-Z challenge! I’ve looked and the letters I have left are J, K, U, X, Y and Z. Bizarrely I’m reading Keep Your Friends Close by Lucinda Berry right now so that can be my K. I’ve got a couple books already downloaded for most letters but any recommendations for J? Generally happiest in the fast paced thriller genre but happy to try other things if they come highly recommended.

I read Just Got Real by Jane Fallon for my J. Not the thriller you're looking for but I quite enjoyed it.

Reactions: 4
Went a bit mad yesterday perusing the list of books I want to read on my library account. Clicked away placing a hold on some of them. Then went to sleep. Just checked my account now and a lot of them are in transit to me. Gulp!

I totally forgot about the A-Z challenge! I’ve looked and the letters I have left are J, K, U, X, Y and Z. Bizarrely I’m reading Keep Your Friends Close by Lucinda Berry right now so that can be my K. I’ve got a couple books already downloaded for most letters but any recommendations for J? Generally happiest in the fast paced thriller genre but happy to try other things if they come highly recommended.
Jar of Hearts by Jennifer Hillier if you haven’t read that!
---
I’ve given up on the A-Z, I just checked and I’ve ticked off 7 🤦🏼‍♀️😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
I also second Jar of Hearts. I gave it 5 stars, really enjoyed it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.