Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Lads, I’ve created us a Christmas readathon thread for anyone who fancies it…

• Heart
Reactions: 16
2023 Recap

How do you feel about your reading year? Good? Bad? Better than last year? Worse than last year? Spill all.

I didn't read nearly as much as I would have liked because I've had so much going on and the fatigue of ADHD brain, but I've enjoyed the majority of what Ive managed to read.

What was your average rating this year? (If you rate)
3/4 stars.

What was your favourite read of 2023?
Penance by Eliza Clark, I think because I got so invested in it like it was a real true crime case!

Any other books worth a mention?
Sorrow and Bliss by Meg Mason
The Women of Troy by Pat Barker
Really Good Actually by Monica Heisey
None of This is True by Lisa Jewell
Notes on an Execution by Santa Kukafka

What was your least favourite read of 2023?
Bunny by Mona Awad- weird and claustrophobic
Brutes by Dizz Tate- my expectations were far too high for this I think, was a different story completely to what I thought it was going to be when I picked it up!

What book exceeded your expectation?
Really Good Actually by Monica Heisey. I related to a lot of this more than I expected to, and made me question things about myself.

What book didnt live up to your expectation? Or just wasnt as good as you thought it would be?
Brutes by Dizz Tate- see above.

Favourite non fiction book of the year?
Strong Female Character by Fern Brady

Do you have any book goals for 2024?
Read more!!

• Heart
Reactions: 11
2023 Recap

How do you feel about your reading year? Good? Bad? Better than last year? Worse than last year? Spill all.

Good! More books than last year, some let downs, some average but a good amount of ones I loved too.

StoryGraph says 3.95 but I think I might have reviewed some too generously and will knock the rating down when I scroll through them all again.

Beartown trilogy

Talking at Night

Rose Code

Remarkably Bright Creatures

Fourth Wing

Maame

The Haunting Season

I’m a Fan

Talking at Night

What book didnt live up to your expectation? Or just wasnt as good as you thought it would be?

Iron Flame - I expected it to be the same addictive bingeworthy style as Fourth Wing but it took my over a week to get through it.

Reach for the Stars - the nostalgia!

Prioritise my 24 in 2024

Read the many books I already own and am excited to read - maybe I can give my husband £10 and he’ll give me a fake Waterstones stamp to make these feel like new book shopping?!

Only buy a book if I’m going to read it straight away… feels kind of contradictory to the above but I suppose it stops the TBR growing and growing…

• Heart
Reactions: 13
i saw today on tiktok something about goodreads shutting down?! 😱
Oh interesting! Maybe amazon just doesn't want to spend the money maintaining the website? (though tbf, it seems like they invest exactly zero dollars to make it a pleasant website to nagivate..)

If anyone is looking for an alternative, you can import your goodreads data into Storygraph. Saves a bit of time rather than going through and adding things manually.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
2023 Recap

I didn't read nearly as much as I would have liked because I've had so much going on and the fatigue of ADHD brain, but I've enjoyed the majority of what Ive managed to read.

3/4 stars.

Penance by Eliza Clark, I think because I got so invested in it like it was a real true crime case!

Sorrow and Bliss by Meg Mason
The Women of Troy by Pat Barker
Really Good Actually by Monica Heisey
None of This is True by Lisa Jewell
Notes on an Execution by Danya Kukafka

Bunny by Mona Awad- weird and claustrophobic
Brutes by Dizz Tate- my expectations were far too high for this I think, was a different story completely to what I thought it was going to be when I picked it up!

Really Good Actually by Monica Heisey. I related to a lot of this more than I expected to, and made me question things about myself.

Brutes by Dizz Tate- see above.

Strong Female Character by Fern Brady

Read more!!
ETA: Danya Kukafka, not Santa!! My phone is obviously on Christmas mode 🥴

• Haha
Reactions: 2
Loved reading all your recaps! I don't think I'll manage to squeeze any more in with the festivities so here's mine :D

2023 Recap

Numbers wise, I feel like I could've done better but I've definitely been more selective this year and curated my reading to my moods a lot so overall I'm happy with my year! ✨

SO hard to choose, I'll have to say Project Hail Mary though, that one has stuck with me throughout most of the year. 🚀

I'm glad this comes directly after the previous question - Has to be the whole Beartown series, I can sense it will be a re-read for me for sure. 🐻

Either Lemon by Kwon Yeo-sun (picked up purely because of the cover) or Idol, Buring by Rin Usami - definitely some misses within the translated fiction I've read 🍋

Remarkably Bright Creatures - Did not expect to well up over an octopus on several occassions 🐙

I feel like a lot of you can agree - The List 🤦‍♀️

How Iceland Changed the World - I was quite surprised at the rich history of Iceland 🇮🇸

Diversify! Dip my toes into some new genres I usually wouldn't and use my local library more. 📚

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Have you watched Shiny Happy People? Jill is so brave.
I watched it when it first came out but I'm going to have to rewatching after reading the book.

Edit to say the Goodreads closing rumour has been going around for years and it's still going. It's unlikely to close given the high number of users I would say.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Edit to say the Goodreads closing rumour has been going around for years and it's still going. It's unlikely to close given the high number of users I would say.
that's good to hear, i'm a creature of habit and i'm used to good old simple goodreads 😂

I use a combination of Goodreads and a simple spreadsheet.

I did download that Netgalley reading journal thing, but I think for me it would be too much of a faff. I can see the appeal for people who are already into journaling, though. I couldn't even keep up with StoryGraph.

Goodreads always has some sort of drama surrounding it. Ultimately, I think it's too useful to the industry to do away with.

I seem to reward myself by completing 1 book and purchase at least 3 more. My husband just gives me the look when I walk in sheepishly with them hahahahaha
I get this from the librarians. I am a book addict - there I said it 😲🤔🙄😬😁.
I snuck in the library today and sighed with relief to see a stranger behind the desk. I was in and out like a thief.
New Year's resolution to say la la la in my head when someone recommends a book. It's a bit like saying om in your head and should keep me zen............. hopefully?😕🤷

• Haha
Reactions: 9
2023 Recap

Last year I comfortably read 50 books over the course of the year. Based on that, I upped this year's goal to 60 but just scraped 50. The biggest factor was switching from a job that had a mandatory one hour lunch that was spent on my own to one with a shorter lunch and fairly social work team. I had underestimated just how much extra reading time that lunch hour gave me over the course of 2022!

4.13. I'm a pretty generous star rater 🤣

The three books I awarded a (rather generous) 4.75 rating to were:

I'm Sorry You Feel That Way
The Colour of Bee Larkham's Murder
A Little Life (which was a re-read before going to see the cinema screening of the play adaptation).

Road Ends blew me away with its storytelling and writing craft. I'll definitely be picking up more of Mary Lawson's books.

Send Nudes reintroduced me to the brilliance of short stories. The author, Saba Sams, is only in her early twenties and I'm excited to see where her writing goes.

Small Things Like These absolutely blew me away. I managed to read the entire book in one sitting which I haven't done in years. Can't wait for the film adaptation to come out.

In Memoriam had me sitting up until 4am to finish it. Again, I haven't done that in years. Such a stunning debute that utterly broke my heart.

For Thy Great Pain Have Mercy on My Little Pain is a fascinating short novel exploring two medieval women: Julian of Norwich and Margaret Kempe. Their social class very much influenced how seriously their religious visions were taken by the (very) male establishment. It's not a book I've seen mentioned much but it ticks many boxes for me: medieval setting, core characters are women living outside the considered norm. It's less than 170 pages so a good one to read in an afternoon or on holiday, as I did 🙂

Seven Days in June. I think I bought into the Tik Tok hype too much and had high expectations. There was too much of a light touch to some quite intense subject areas. Plus I never really got the connection between the two mains lasting that long. It was my lowest scoring read at 3 stars which is saying something on how generous I appear to rate!

Probably In Memoriam. I did suspect it would be good but not in the category of staying up until 4am good.

What book didnt live up to your expectation?Or just wasnt as good as you thought it would be

Definitely Seven Days In June. Should stop believing the social media hype.

I don't read much NF but one of my Kindle reads was The Library Book by Susan Orlean. It focuses on the fire at the Los Angeles Public Library in 1988, deliberately started, and its impact on the users and community. Orlean also does an interesting deep dive into the history of the lending library system in the States which I found fascinating.

I definitely don't read many books by men but I'm not sure I want to, haha! One goal is to tackle my 200 plus physical TBR pile alongside my 130 Kindle list 🙈 I try to aim to install a book buying ban most years but they never last long. My local library is reasonable but they rarely get books in that appeal to my tastes. That's my excuse for buying so many anyway.

• Heart
Reactions: 18
2023 Recap

Last year I comfortably read 50 books over the course of the year. Based on that, I upped this year's goal to 60 but just scraped 50. The biggest factor was switching from a job that had a mandatory one hour lunch that was spent on my own to one with a shorter lunch and fairly social work team. I had underestimated just how much extra reading time that lunch hour gave me over the course of 2022!

4.13. I'm a pretty generous star rater 🤣

The three books I awarded a (rather generous) 4.75 rating to were:

I'm Sorry You Feel That Way
The Colour of Bee Larkham's Murder
A Little Life (which was a re-read before going to see the cinema screening of the play adaptation).

Road Ends blew me away with its storytelling and writing craft. I'll definitely be picking up more of Mary Lawson's books.

Send Nudes reintroduced me to the brilliance of short stories. The author, Saba Sams, is only in her early twenties and I'm excited to see where her writing goes.

Small Things Like These absolutely blew me away. I managed to read the entire book in one sitting which I haven't done in years. Can't wait for the film adaptation to come out.

In Memoriam had me sitting up until 4am to finish it. Again, I haven't done that in years. Such a stunning debute that utterly broke my heart.

For Thy Great Pain Have Mercy on My Little Pain is a fascinating short novel exploring two medieval women: Julian of Norwich and Margaret Kempe. Their social class very much influenced how seriously their religious visions were taken by the (very) male establishment. It's not a book I've seen mentioned much but it ticks many boxes for me: medieval setting, core characters are women living outside the considered norm. It's less than 170 pages so a good one to read in an afternoon or on holiday, as I did 🙂

Seven Days in June. I think I bought into the Tik Tok hype too much and had high expectations. There was too much of a light touch to some quite intense subject areas. Plus I never really got the connection between the two mains lasting that long. It was my lowest scoring read at 3 stars which is saying something on how generous I appear to rate!

Probably In Memoriam. I did suspect it would be good but not in the category of staying up until 4am good.

What book didnt live up to your expectation?Or just wasnt as good as you thought it would be

Definitely Seven Days In June. Should stop believing the social media hype.

I don't read much NF but one of my Kindle reads was The Library Book by Susan Orlean. It focuses on the fire at the Los Angeles Public Library in 1988, deliberately started, and its impact on the users and community. Orlean also does an interesting deep dive into the history of the lending library system in the States which I found fascinating.

I definitely don't read many books by men but I'm not sure I want to, haha! One goal is to tackle my 200 plus physical TBR pile alongside my 130 Kindle list 🙈 I try to aim to install a book buying ban most years but they never last long. My local library is reasonable but they rarely get books in that appeal to my tastes. That's my excuse for buying so many anyway.
That's why I put so many on hold on my library account as the books I want to read are miles away!
Maybe I need to move 🤔

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Just found this thread, it’s great!
Seen some great recommendations here.
---
Definitely going to get ‘Penance’ or ask for it for Christmas.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
Finally finished my first book of December, Bright Young Women by Jessica Knoll.

I was in a slump this month and it took me ages but I actually really enjoyed the book.

I had no idea it was semi-fiction based on real life events to do with Ted Bundy! I thought it was a good take on a serial killer book without him being the main character.

• Heart
I've just picked up a paperback and had to google what a word meant on the first page. I love a physical book sometimes but you can't beat the convenience of dictionary on a Kindle!

• Heart
Reactions: 15
I'm about to start Fourth Wing, got an afternoon and evening on the sofa with my blanket planned! It's not a genre I normally go for but was very influenced by this thread so looking forward to giving it a go. :giggle:

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.