Christmas Book Readathon 2023

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As discussed in the book thread, I thought it’d be nice to have an informal book readathon over Christmas.

We can keep it going maybe a couple of days into the new year, when normal service resumes (booooo!)

No pressure or set schedule, as people will have different amounts of free time, so I’ve split it into parts so people can complete as suits.

Part One
What you are reading
Where you are reading
Any snacks/drinks

Come back and update us with:
How many pages read
Any memorable lines so far
Thoughts so far

Part Two
Any new books bought or received over Christmas
Any you have your eye on to buy

Part Three (may have been covered within the general book thread but for anyone that missed it)

2024 book goals
2024 book challenges
What you are planning to read this year

Anything new you’re trying

Hope everyone has fun, I look forward to reading people’s answers.
Absolutely love a visual so please post lots of pics 🥰

Here’s to many Christmas hangovers that we actually appreciate…

IMG_9026.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Absolutely taking part! My Christmas will be very quiet which means lots of time to read 📚 (and I may already have a wishlist building for any boxing day sales!)

Thanks for starting the thread @nbt ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I’ve had a little reading time this morning ☺

I’m currently reading Baby It’s Cold Outside by Emily Bell.

I have my reading seal pup here with me 🥰

IMG_9051.jpeg

I’ve read 59 pages/17% in about 50 minutes, with a coffee with salted caramel syrup.

I’ve really enjoying this book so far, it’s so cosy and festive and I could definitely sit and probably even read through to the end if I didn’t have things to do!

I’ve highlighted the following quote: ‘It’s funny isn’t it, how we agonize over these supposedly big choices we have to make that actually make no difference in the end. But the little decisions – that seemingly mean nothing – they can change everything.’

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I’ve had a little reading time this morning ☺

I’m currently reading Baby It’s Cold Outside by Emily Bell.

I have my reading seal pup here with me 🥰

View attachment 2646584

I’ve read 59 pages/17% in about 50 minutes, with a coffee with salted caramel syrup.

I’ve really enjoying this book so far, it’s so cosy and festive and I could definitely sit and probably even read through to the end if I didn’t have things to do!

I’ve highlighted the following quote: ‘It’s funny isn’t it, how we agonize over these supposedly big choices we have to make that actually make no difference in the end. But the little decisions – that seemingly mean nothing – they can change everything.’
what a beautiful reading companion!!! 😍😍

this part of the year is normally my absolute worst for reading and i never want to read anything too heavy or dedicated so i’m on my romances. currently reading secretly yours by tessa bailey which is sweet enough but making me wish i was wine tasting in napa like they all are 😂 am eating lots of m&s merry munch as a pairing.

lovely idea for a thread @nbt - thank you 😘

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I have had a fair bit of reading time this morning. I seem in hospital and like to read say in my wheelchair with the bed raised to the highest level and then lean over it.

I am a physical book read and have read 109 pages of a 386 novel. The Other People by C.J. Tudor.

No snacks, but I can really enjoying this book. The back says she is 'Britain's female Stephen King' so I am excited to see where this book goes.

No lovely reading companion here.

1000017141.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’m in! Have a few things planned in the next week and a half but I’m off till Jan 3rd. Currently making my way through Iron Flame. If anyone as recommendations for cozy holiday reads lmk!
image.jpg

• Heart
No pictures because people are here (ew). Im full up with flu and trying to appear civil whilst sat in the corner reading sorrow and bliss on my kindle. My reading buddy (cat) has snuck upstairs to hide from tiny humans. There’s a beige buffet but my stomach is churning so I’ve got a cup of tea.
I’m on page 142 and I’m all in my feels!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
No pictures because people are here (ew). Im full up with flu and trying to appear civil whilst sat in the corner reading sorrow and bliss on my kindle. My reading buddy (cat) has snuck upstairs to hide from tiny humans. There’s a beige buffet but my stomach is churning so I’ve got a cup of tea.
I’m on page 142 and I’m all in my feels!
oh sorrow and bliss is such a beautiful book!! enjoy both it and your tea with your reading buddy 🐱

• Heart
I love getting lost in a big, think, chunky, almost never ending book.
That appears to be my plan for my immediate future. I have both Fourth Wing & Iron Flame lined up forgetting that I already planned to read A Little Life. Although perhaps that's not the most festive of reads 🤔

• Heart
Had a super stressful week at work which meant waking up at 2.30-3am and staying awake for hours. Nothing like a good book to soothe the brain. The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo has been a delightful escape from reality. Halfway through reading it and already purchased a copy for my mum-in-law as I know she’d love it.

My aim for next year is to keep up with the reading. I’ve read around 60 books this year and have a long list of books waiting to be read on the kindle. Merry Xmas to you all and happy reading in the new year 📖🎄🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Inadvertently had a mini readathon yesterday whilst Mr B took Small Biscuit out for a car nap.

I'm trying to get through my Kindle backlog and have about 130 books on that list. Each time I move onto a new read, I use Google's random number generator to select my next book. Google chose 14 which was The Radium Girls, a non-fiction read about young women who worked in factories painting numbers on dials using radium during WWI and the 1920s. I'm only 6% in and the corporate negligence is horrifying to read. Not very Christmassy but there we go.

Companion was Big Biscuit playing on his Switch and he shared a contraband chocolate lolly with me, if that counts as snacks.

Children are very excited today plus we're hosting Christmas Day. So I don't anticipate much reading time before Boxing Day!

I am currently reading Mystery in White by J.Jefferson Farjeon.
I am reading it in my living room and whilst I do not have any snacks I do currently have a nice glass of Cherryade on the table next to me.
I've read 49 pages and I have to say I am enjoying it so far as it is a cosy Christmas read as the book is set on Christmas Eve and I like the country house where the story is set as it has a element of mystery to it as it makes you wonder why is the house empty when the fire has been lit and the table has been laid for tea.
I've highlighted the following 2 quotes "Almost blinded by the the whirling snowflakes, he had lowered his head; and when the building loomed abruptly in his path he only just saved himself from colliding with the front door".
"He grasped the handle, turned and shook it. To his surprise he found the door was no longer locked. Shoving it open, he stared into a bare and empty room".
1703442663788.png

I've currently been cramming in as much of my audiobook as possible around Christmas activities/errands/chores, 20 minutes here, 5 minutes there. I Have Some Questions for You by Rebecca Makkai. It's very good! I still have 4 books to read to make my 2023 goal; I know I shouldn't be so harsh or pressure myself and it's not all about numbers but I'm so disappointed at my lack of reading this year- although 32 is still quite good in the grand scheme of things!

Reactions: 6
I wasn’t going to start a new book yet but I’ve discovered The Bat by Jo Nesbo lurking on my kindle so I’m going to read that tonight!
reading buddy is back 🥰
IMG_2322.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’m determined to finish Murder on the Christmas Express today. I’ve just had half an hour of reading time in bed before I need to get up and ready. I managed 10% (getting from 65% to 75%) which worked out as 37 pages and 7 chapters read. According to my kindle app I have 58 minutes remaining so I’m hopeful I can finish it today🤞🏼 I’m not loving it tbh I just want it finished for the book club lol

Reactions: 7