Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just finished Sarah Morgan’s The Christmas Book Club and I absolutely loved it, 5 stars ⭐

Very cosy festive feel, the characters were all likeable and had plenty of depth with various things going on in each of their lives. Some romance but it was not the main focus at all.

There were some flaws (like some of the things the 5 year old would say) but I can overlook some flaws if I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it, and would easily read again, even for a 5 star review.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
2023 Recap

How do you feel about your reading year? Good? Bad? Better than last year? Worse than last year? Spill all.

It was a good year in terms of books read and the quality wasn't bad as such but I just didn't fall crazy in obsessive love with any, you know?

What was your average rating this year? (If you rate)

3 and 4.

What was your favourite read of 2023?

Either The Fountains of Silence by Ruta Sepetys or This Time Next Year by Sophie Cousens.

Any other books worth a mention?
Clandestine by Gabriel Garcia Marquez was extremely compelling. Reread We are Okay by Nina Lacour and it's always excellent.

What was your least favourite read of 2023?

101 essays that will change the way you think by Brianna Wiest. It was gifted to me and I had no clue it was basically an influencer book. Terrible and boring.

What book exceeded your expectation?

Already mentioned it, Clandestine by Gabriel Garcia Marquez. I'm usually not a Garcia Marquez fan at all, but it is such a good book.

What book didnt live up to your expectation? Or just wasnt as good as you thought it would be

Happy Place by Emily Henry. I'll forever be an Emily Henry girlie but this one just wasn't it for me. Boring and the couple was toxic as hell, all the characters were pretty terrible people.

Favourite non fiction book of the year?
I'm like a broken record hahaha.. Clandestine.

Do you have any book goals for 2024?

I usually set my numeric goal at 100. I hope to read more intentionally and also I hope the book gods are kinder and gift me with some obsession-worthy books.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
2023 Recap

How do you feel about your reading year? Good? Bad? Better than last year? Worse than last year? Spill all.

Suprised I read more. I am currently on 124 and will probably finish the year on 127, which will be 10 more than last year. I feel like I have read a greater variety of books this year too which is good.

I have only given a handful of 5*s but my favourite this year is Weyward by Emilia Hart

My other 5* reads were:
Really Good Actually
A Terrible Kindness
My Roommate is a Vampire
What Lies Between Us
The Running Grave
Fourth Wing
The Marriage Act
The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue

Mad Honey by Jodi Picoult

Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow, I had low expectations because of how hyped it was, but I really enjoyed it.

What book didnt live up to your expectation? Or just wasnt as good as you thought it would be

The List. Had the chance of being really good but was poorly executed.

All That Remains by Sue Black

I will probably set my goal as 100 again. I want to read more physical books only 12% were print this year. I also want to stop buying 99p deals and free books that I never read! I would also love to make a dent in my kindle TBR. Also to start a bookclub at work because I love talking about books.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
2023 Recap

I had a good 2023. I read 40 books last year v's 80 this year but a lot of that is to do with not having a TV anymore (only Netflix).

I think it's probably about 3.25.

Young Mungo
Unlawful Killings
Daisy Jones and the six
Lessons in chemistry

See above

The Choice (sorry book club folks)
The Keeper of stories

Daisy Jones. Wasn't expecting to like it but listened to the audio book and loved it. Think the fact I also love the soundtrack easily influences my decision here.

What book didnt live up to your expectation? Or just wasnt as good as you thought it would be?

Really good, actually.

Unlawful Killings. Can't believe I only read it this year, I feel like I've been raving about it forever

To read all the books on my Borrowbox wishlist
An A-Z challenge of my Kindle books, choosing the oldest book from each letter first.
Continue with a good split of fiction and non fiction (50/50 last year, 60/40 this year)

• Heart

Counting the cost - used to be a big duggar fan back in the day before the scandals so is amazing to see someone grow so much and figure out who they are and what they believe. Nice to see someone setting positive boundarys and realise they grew up in a cult essentially and how it is not normal.
Have you watched Shiny Happy People? Jill is so brave.

Oh I've just realised you can see how many pages you've read and your average rating on goodreads! Late to the party and some.if tge books I read aren't on there as I started a target with goodreads halfway through the year but I've read 29,216 pages and 78 books (I've actually read 95 but hey ho!). My average rating was 3.5!

Reactions: 5
i saw today on tiktok something about goodreads shutting down?! 😱

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 6
Hi all. I haven't posted in ages but I have been picking up my books again. Forgotten how much I adore actual books and the smell of them! In the last month I have read, The Great Alone, The Phonebox at the end of the World, Dark Matter and now I am reading A Thousand Splendid Suns.
I only have 2 in my tbr pile next to my bed. But at work we have a bookshelf which I am going to have a good look at. They can't shut down Goodreads! It is such a good website that has provided me with inspiration to read a good variety of books that I probably wouldn't have looked to read before.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Another goal for 2024 - to actually read a physical book! I've only read digital or audio and really need to make a dent in the piles of books in my spare room

• Heart
2023 Recap

Ive had a really good reading year, found some absolute gems!

3 stars.

Probably the dci Kett series.

Eleanor oliphant, good girls die last, perfect remains, I see you by Claire mackintosh. All fantastic books.

We need to talk about Kevin. Interesting premise but it fell flat for me.

Probably eleanor oliphant. I don’t usually like character driven stories but I really enjoyed this.

What book didnt live up to your expectation? Or just wasnt as good as you thought it would be?

Vladimir. Got weird towards the end.

I only read one - I’m glad my mom died.

I’d like to get stuck into the many series I have on my kindle, particularly the rebus series and the reacher series. I’d also like to read more character driven books.

great questions!

• Heart
I’ve just finished Sarah Morgan’s The Christmas Book Club and I absolutely loved it, 5 stars ⭐

Very cosy festive feel, the characters were all likeable and had plenty of depth with various things going on in each of their lives. Some romance but it was not the main focus at all.

There were some flaws (like some of the things the 5 year old would say) but I can overlook some flaws if I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it, and would easily read again, even for a 5 star review.
I really enjoyed this too :) I particularly liked the depth to the characters which isnt usually the case with this kind of book. I think it would make a great movie!

@Caffeine Fiend a fellow thick book avoider here :ROFLMAO: Maybe I should add that to my new years resolutions!
pages.jpg

• Haha
I’ve really loved reading everyone’s end of year recaps.
thank you for sharing x

• Heart
Reactions: 14
2023 Recap

Not too bad. I did worse numbers wise than the previous year, but I also had a lot more on this year so I’m glad to have hit my target. I didn’t get through some of the books I’d intended to that had been on my TBR list for longest, so I might have a cull for 2024.

3.7* according to Good Reads.

The Hearts Invisible Furies ❤.

Weyward, Adelaide and In Memorium were all 5* reads for me.

Locust Lane.

The Cormoran Strike books. I thought they may have been overrated but I managed to get through a few in super speed despite the size of them.

The Remains of the Day. It just wasn’t for me.

The Five.

Clear some of my older TBR books, read more non-fiction and be less put off by the length of books!

• Heart
IMG_1878.jpeg
agree re long books. I only read 3, one was audio and 2 were the magnolia parks books which if I hadn’t already started the series the length would’ve put me off 😂

Reactions: 4
These are all so interesting.

I am sitting on £160 Waterstones. It is making my finger want to be trigger happy. Will wait until after Christmas though incase the Christmas book fairy visits me.

I have gone a whole year without purchasing anything from Amazon. Bert's Books and Waterstones are my new go-to. I would rather spend a couple extra pound with Bert's and actually know the people whose salaries the money goes to.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Boss has just given us all £40 love2shop vouchers, that means £40 of free shopping in Waterstones. 🎉🎊🎉🎊

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.