Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Read a bit of Fourth Wing and worried it's going to be one of the ✨oh she's so SMALL and TINY and CLUMSY✨ main characters. They've already been repeated about Violet so many times and I'm only a few chapters in. :rolleyes:

Obviously being small and clumsy isn't a problem in a person but why do authors have to make such a thing about it for female main characters?!
Violet has a condition called Ehlers Danlos syndrome (the author has it so wrote the character with it) this is never explicitly announced in the book but it’s what she suffers with.
She is quite clumsy but she also tries to manoeuvre around the disability.
You will find a lot of mentions of how fragile she is as the book goes on but it’s to try and bring awareness to the difficulties of the disability.

Reactions: 8
Yes! This trope! My biggest hate! Also, someone is so anxious they can't speak, or do anything ever.

Also, the man is so mysterious and so closed and never shows his feelings but suddenly by the end he is crying, having all the feelings and is really a big softie inside.

They always go too far with making the characters into such tropes. Need to tone it down.
I also hate 'not like other girls' trope. You know, the one who never wears make up and all the other girls who do and are all glamorous are not as deep and intelligent.

Reactions: 10
I also hate 'not like other girls' trope. You know, the one who never wears make up and all the other girls who do and are all glamorous are not as deep and intelligent.
i hate this one too. and they usually have some kind of hobby that the author obviously thinks is extremely quirky but really isn’t 🤣

worse if they eat (shock!) cheeseburgers and (gasp!) do some kind of stereotypically “male” job, looking at you abbey jiminez! the happy ever after playlist is not forgotten!

• Haha
i hate this one too. and they usually have some kind of hobby that the author obviously thinks is extremely quirky but really isn’t 🤣

worse if they eat (shock!) cheeseburgers and (gasp!) do some kind of stereotypically “male” job, looking at you abbey jiminez! the happy ever after playlist is not forgotten!
The man orders a ridiculous amount of food in a casual dining place, milkshake included, and the girl is like, "that sounds good, I'll have the same", cue the man looking at the woman in shock and awe.

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Violet has a condition called Ehlers Danlos syndrome (the author has it so wrote the character with it) this is never explicitly announced in the book but it’s what she suffers with.
She is quite clumsy but she also tries to manoeuvre around the disability.
You will find a lot of mentions of how fragile she is as the book goes on but it’s to try and bring awareness to the difficulties of the disability.
Ahh I see this makes more sense! I'm not up to this being mentioned or hinted at yet. (I would never be annoyed about this about a disability, think I've just read too much bad fiction that had used it as a lazy way to build a relatable personality).
---
The man orders a ridiculous amount of food in a casual dining place, milkshake included, and the girl is like, "that sounds good, I'll have the same", cue the man looking at the woman in shock and awe.
Loving hearing all the tropes you all hate. 😂 Also hate this one.

There's a Taylor Jenkins Reid book where the main character is obsessed with cinnamon buns and its always like omg how can you eat a FULL one of those. I thought I was just being easily irritated but I saw a few Goodreads reviews mentioned the same, and someone searched on Kindle and apparently cinnamon bun was mentioned 100+ times or something crazy. :ROFLMAO:

Eta: here's one from Goodreads (not my review). The book is Maybe in Another Life.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 16
I’ve finished Maybe Someday by Colleen Hoover this afternoon - really enjoyed this one. Now onto The Lying Game by Ruth Ware.

Really enjoying the Christmas break as I’m reading again. I’m finally out of the slump!

I thought I was done for the year but I’ve just finished Forever, interrupted by TJR - I was surprised to find out it was her debut novel!
I thought it was okay… maybe I’m jaded but the 6 month love story felt too twee and unrealistic 😂

Reactions: 6
Extra shock and awe points available if she orders a beer / bourbon / whiskey 🥃

• Haha
Extra shock and awe points available if she orders a beer / bourbon / whiskey 🥃
omg - nothing shakes a male lead’s entire worldview like a woman ordering a whiskey 🤣

as a whiskey drinker myself, it makes me laugh every time.

• Haha
Almost skipped over Remarkably Bright Creatures but it's now firmly in my top five from the year, so another recommendation for anyone teetering, it really is fantastic!
I’ve seen this mentioned so many times and yet it’s never made my wish list… until now. Anyone listened to it on Audible?

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I’ve seen this mentioned so many times and yet it’s never made my wish list… until now. Anyone listened to it on Audible?
Yes. It is fantastic in audio. I read @PunkyMonkey 's comment earlier and did mean to come back to it.

I bought it ages ago in an audible sale on a recommendation from someone else and tbh the premise really made me doubt Id enjoy it. I put it off for so long. It is such a great book and amazing in audio format. Well worth a credit imo if using audible.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Ahh I see this makes more sense! I'm not up to this being mentioned or hinted at yet. (I would never be annoyed about this about a disability, think I've just read too much bad fiction that had used it as a lazy way to build a relatable personality).
---
I get it, it’s easy to make that assumption as so many books follow that trope.
But in this case RY does actually have experience with what she’s writing, it easily could’ve just been another cop out storyline to hammer home the weak girl needs saving storyline by someone who hasn’t throughly researched it.
This time though it’s based on experience and although it’s never announced, it’s alluded to that she has an illness that holds her back quite a bit and she does throw in some things about how it actually affects her and she has to adapt to the challenges but unless you knew you wouldn’t know.
The books are brilliant and you could definitely find things within it to complain about (the constant arguing) but in this instance I couldn’t fault her for attempting to bring slight awareness to something I’d never heard of.
I hope you enjoy it x

Reactions: 4
I am currently reading Cara Hunter - Murder In The Family. Has anyone else read this ?

I am enjoying it so far and I like the difference in how the story is presented to the reader.

Ahhh I’ve not logged into Tattle since Wednesday it’s been so manic the past few days! But just wanted to wish my book family a happy Christmas and I hope you get all the bookish goodies tomorrow 🎄❤

• Heart
Reactions: 13
Merry Christmas my fellow bookworms!

Mr nbt and I open our presents on Christmas Eve…

I’m late to the party, but they are things of beauty 😍

IMG_9089.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 20
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.