Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
2023 Recap

How do you feel about your reading year? Good? Bad? Better than last year? Worse than last year? Spill all

A. Much better than last year. Massive slump in 2022 barely read at all, but joined this thread early this year and not had a slump since!

What was your average rating this year? (If you rate)

A. Hard to say, but the majority of my reads are 3 stars for a book I liked but didn't love, and 4 stars for a book I enjoyed reading but probably wouldn't read again

What was your favourite read of 2023?

A. Have a few - most memorable are Three by Valerie Perrin (translated from French) ans Before My Actual Heart Breaks by Tish Delaney

Any other books worth a mention?

A. I flew through The House In The Woods and loved Secrets of Strangerd.

What was your least favourite read of 2023?

A. sorry to all Fredrik fans but it was Beartown.

What book exceeded your expectation?

A. Not sure, I try not to have too many expectations but have got better at DNFing. Life's too short and reading is for enjoyment!

What book didnt live up to your expectation? Or just wasnt as good as you thought it would be?

A. Has.to be Beartown again

Favourite non fiction book of the year?

A. Havent read any this year, apart from.Nancy Birtwhistles eco books so will have to say those!

Do you have any book goals for 2024?

A. to read 100 books. To only read books I love and DNF if I'm not into the book by 30%. To read All the Light We Cannot See. To read the books currently stacked on my bookshelf. To go through all the unread books on my kindle and ditch any I bought ages ago but still haven't and not likely to read.
Quoting myself to add try a fantasy book to the book goals. I've never liked fantasy as a genre I think I probably go for the more logical, plot driven books like thrillers/crime but see you guys raving about fantasy and think I should try it!

@Caffeine Fiend maybe we should have a mid year check in against our goals end June?

Reactions: 8
2023 Recap

How do you feel about your reading year? Good? Bad? Better than last year? Worse than last year? Spill all.

Mixed. There have been some really good books but they’ve been few and far between! Most things feel fairly average to be honest.

I don’t usually rate but based on the above I guess it would be 3/5!

I Am Pilgrim. Very late to the party with this one. It had been on my Kindle for ages but the size of it always put me off, plus I’m not really a spy thriller type person, but I loved this. Raced through it despite the size!

Ask Again Yes
The Whalebone Theatre
A Lady’s Guide To Fortune Hunting
Demon Copperhead also needs a mention because although I had mixed feelings about it, it’s stayed with me.

The Frequency of Us because of the unexpected genre shift. It became something I didn’t expect and really wasn’t interested in reading. Also a contender is A Prayer For Owen Meany which was just painful! Soooo slow and tedious!

Tomorrow & Tomorrow & Tomorrow. I probably wouldn’t have picked this up at all if it wasn’t for people talking about it here. Didn’t expect to like it as much as I did.

What book didnt live up to your expectation? Or just wasnt as good as you thought it would be?
A Prayer for Owen Meany. Baffled as to why this book appears on so many must read lists!

Love From The Pink Palace. I loved the tv series It’s A Sin and this is the real life Jill’s memoir. Funny and moving in equal measure. Honorable mention to Paris Hilton’s autobiography.

To buy less 99p deals that I’m only getting cos they’re on offer, and to spend more on books from my wishlist that are probably never going to be cheap but that I really want to read!

• Heart
Reactions: 18
Quoting myself to add try a fantasy book to the book goals. I've never liked fantasy as a genre I think I probably go for the more logical, plot driven books like thrillers/crime but see you guys raving about fantasy and think I should try it!

@Caffeine Fiend maybe we should have a mid year check in against our goals end June?
Yes we usually do :D

• Heart
Reactions: 3
2023 Recap

How do you feel about your reading year? Good? Bad? Better than last year? Worse than last year? Spill all.

I don't feel like I've read as many 5* this year as I did last. I think two contributing factors were; reading a ton of really average fae romantasy books in an attempt to find my new ACOTAR, and a lot of the big award nominees this year not being my sort of thing. I've found choosing from my enormous tbr really overwhelming and so set up a system where I choose from a category shortlist in rotation.

3.3, which is a little lower than last year but about what i'd expected.

Almost impossible to choose, but I might go for Lonely Castle in the Mirror.

The Nickel Boys
A Man Called Ove
His Bloody Project
And every morning the way home gets longer and longer
We are all completely beside ourselves
Project Hail Mary
Our Wives Under the Sea
The Bell Chime
Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow
The Things We Leave Unfinished
The Sun Down Motel
Six of Crows
The Ex Talk
To be taught, if fortunate
Fate of Wrath and Flame
This One Sky Day
True Crime Story
The No Show

The Absolute Book
Behind Closed Doors
Catherine House
The Idea of You
The Family at No12!!!!!!!

A Fate of Wrath and Flame - expected a bogstandard romantasy but this was in my top 5 for the year with a great balance of plot and believable ACTUAL enemies to lovers.

Beth OLeary and Emily Henry are usually quite safe authors for me, but The Road Trip and Happy Place were imo both quite rubbish. Both were second chance romance interestingly enough, so perhaps I'll avoid that in future.

I've not liked much non-fiction this year (and generally don't) but 'Reach for the Stars' was really fun.

Get through the remaining Throne of Glass books and move on to the Crescent City series.

Be honest with myself and delete kindle books I no longer fancy reading.

Catch up on some of 2023's hyped books such as Fourth Wing.

Buy fewer books and make a dent in my 350-odd tbr.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
2023 Recap

Good! I read a lot more than 2022, and as a result was doing far less doom-scrolling and spent less time watching crap on tv. It was a good reminder also that reading before bed makes for much easier falling asleep than scrolling social media on my phone before bed.

No ratings for me.

I finished A Room of One's Own at the very beginning of the year, the version on audible narrated by Juliet Stevenson. She is marvelous and the book itself (and Virginia Woolf) is marvelous. Great for cold January walks.

I loved Curtis Sittenfield's Romantic Comedy while also hating the Covid setting in which some of the book took place. Also read basically all of Mariana Zapata's backlist and thoroughly enjoyed. She's great at slow burn.

I DNF'd some really bad KU romances whose titles I have long forgotten!

Oh a two part answer here - this year I read Book Lovers, You and Me on Vacation and Happy Place in quick succession. Really enjoyed BL and HP, which alongside my very favourite Beach Read made Emily Henry a must-read author for me.

What book didn't live up to your expectation? Or just wasn't as good as you thought it would be?
Here comes part two - You and Me on Vacation. I was not a fan of the jumping back and forwards, and didn't warm to the main characters.

I picked up the Rest is History book when it came out and have been popping in and out of it reading a chapter or two at a time. It's great fun if you're a fan of the podcast.

This year was the first year I kept track of numbers while reading. It was fun but next year my goal is to get through some of my physical TBR - a mix of (my fav escapism genre) romances, lit fic, some classics, some non-fiction etc. Working on putting together the list on Storygraph so I get the satisfaction of changing them to 'read' as I go (I haven't really made use of the 'want to read' feature before).

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I wouldn’t mind recommendations for books that made people cry, I love them and don't come across enough.
Foster and Small Things Like These by Claire Keegan made me cry like a baby (I was PMSing but still 🤷‍♀️)

My fav non-fiction this year was Vera (Mrs Vladimir Nabokov) by Stacy Schiff. Read it back in February and it stayed with me ever since. Fascinating biography about an, almost, unknown fascinating woman (imo much more than her husband, who wouldn't be as famous without her).

• Heart
Reactions: 5
PULP!
Had a few guesses to myself and discounted them.. the streets..nah.. corner shop..nope.. arctic monkeys.. then it appeared in my head!

Has anyone read Jarvis’ book?
---
me. Quite fun especially if you are my age or similar you can relate to some of the crap he found in his loft

Reactions: 3
I love reading these, thanks for posting it @Caffeine Fiend

2023 Recap

Pretty good year, I never set myself targets, just go with whatever. I am hoping to squeeze in a few quick rewards to round off the year at 300 but not sure I will be able to manage.

4 I have a strict dnf policy if I reach 60 pages and I am not enjoying it I move on.

In Memoriam by Alice Winn. What a book. I have bought a copy for so many people this year.

Other Women by Emma Flint
Loved and Missed by Susie Flint
Weyward by Emilia Hart
A Terrible Kindness by Jo Browning Wroe

MY dhf policy means I don't really have one.

Loved and Missed by Susie Flint. It was so much more than the initial premise, such warmth.

Again my dnf policy helps me evade this.

Talking With Serial Killers, by Christopher Berry Dee. I plan to re-read this next year.

I am going to do the A-Z challenge. I went down the actual physical books I have here and am just missing 4 letters ao it isn't like I feel pressure. These are all books I planned to read anyway.
---
PULP!
Had a few guesses to myself and discounted them.. the streets..nah.. corner shop..nope.. arctic monkeys.. then it appeared in my head!

Has anyone read Jarvis’ book?
---
You win! 🥇

I have seen them live 64 times. Obsessed.

I have read his book, so vivid and engaging. So interesting to see the things he found in a clear out.

If you like Jarvis it is well worth a read.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
thanks for this @Caffeine Fiend 🥰

pretty good! i read way more romances than i usually do and enjoyed a fair few of them - read a few genres i wouldn’t usually too.

according to goodreads, 3.1 ⭐

between cleopatra and frankenstein and the marriage portrait.

honourable mentions to the whalebone theatre, leigh bardugo and tomorrow x3. and we all want impossible things!

the dead romantics and the (absolutely godawful) happy ever after playlist

a fair few romances tbh - the secret lives of country gentleman and a witch’s guide to fake dating a demon in particular.

sadly happy place, which i wanted to love but just did not.

i read no non-fiction :(

prepare for devastation and read in memoriam. and try and aim for 100 books but we will see!

• Heart
Reactions: 14
2023 Recap

● Meh sums it up tbh. Managed about 90 books but barely any stand outs and even looking back the books I gave 5 stars to, Im now looking and in hindsight they just dont feel like 5 star reads? I think I probably read them after some poor books so I rated them higher? However one thing I am over the moon about is my physical books read. Lots more than last year. I got myself a proper reading light and it makes such a difference. Im old now and cant read a physical book in poor light 😅

● Remarkably Bright Creatures by Shelby Van Pelt. There is nothing outstanding about this novel but it gave me all the feel good inside. It is well written and so cosy. Its not one Id have said at the start of the year would be number 1 for me, but it was. For reference my favourite books in 2022 and 2021 were A Woman Is No Man by Etaf Rum and Beartown by Fredrik Backman so its a really different direction for me.

● Ordinary Human Failings by Megan Nolan this was stark and bleak and I think I described it as 'if concrete was a book' 😅🙈 Closer to Home by Michael Magee, Before My Actual Heart Breaks by Tish Delaney,

● Daisy Darker by Alice Feeney. Plot done to death and the twist was crap imo. What Happens in Dubai by Sophie Gravia. Dont even know why I read this as I didnt much like Glasgow Kiss. Will definitely not be reading the third.

● Cleopatra and Frankenstein by Coco Mellors. Adored it, cant wait for her new book. Special shout out to Fleishman is in Trouble by Taffy Brodesser-Akner

● I hate to say this but Juno Loves Legs by Karl Geary, the book was great but Id built it up in my head so much that I thought it would be brilliant and it wasnt.

● I enjoyed Pamela Andersons auto biography. It was really quite interesting and she comes across like such a sweet lovely woman. I also liked Sedated: How Modern Capitalism Created our Mental Health Crisis.

● Not really, get another book case to store my physical books, be more intentional with my reading and as always try and buy less. I always joke about worrying I'll die suddenly and have so many books on my TBR that I havent read. I wouldnt mind reading less next year if the books I did read were excellent. I do read alot of romances though which will never be excellent 🙈 but I enjoy them.

• Heart
Reactions: 16
Can i join in please? :)

2023 Recap

Pleased as i set myself a reading goal of 20 books and i have surpassed this goal ( currently on book 21).This is the best reading year i have had in many years.

3.5 is an average rating across the books i have read this year.

Black Valley Farm - Sheila Bugler

The Satsuma Complex - Bob Mortimer
The Housemaid - Frieda McFadden
The Island of Missing Trees - Elif Shafak
Do No Harm - Jack Jordan
The Mirror Man - Lars Keplar
The Herd - Emily Edwards

The Mad Women's Ball - Victoria Mas ( i am unsure if this is due to the book being translated from French to English or if it is just poorly written).

The Satsuma Complex - really funny in several places. I found it to be written in a dead pan style which i really enjoyed.

Klara and the Sun - Kazuo Ishiguro. Started off really well but then tailed off mid way through the book.

Only read the Britney Spears book - wouldn't call it a favourite read though.

Stop buying books . I have a massive TBR pile of physical books and kindle books to be read. I visit a book store and boom... i am picking up more books because it piques my interest.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
2023 Recap

Haven't read as many books as last year due to various commitments but whilst I have read some really good books I have also read some really bad ones that left me feeling massively disappointed.

Most of my books were between 2* and 5* reads.

Before You by Kathryn Freeman as I just loved the Formula 1 setting, I went through every emotion when Aiden is driving in each race as I was rooting for him to win, I got to find out what happens behind the scenes when no race is taking place, I felt like I understood both main characters view points and it was a well written book that kept me wanting to read on to see what was going to happen next.

Last Breath by Robert Bryndza
Blind Beauty by K.M. Payton
In It for the Long Run: The Mike Snow Trilogy by AV Turner
Don't Make a Sound by David Jackson
Marcie Steele Moving On
Christmas on the Little Cornish Isles The Driftwood Inn by Phillipa Ashley

The Christmas Party by Mikayla Davids as there was a lot of repetitive elements to it, the story was totally unrealistic, the characters were all similar to one another and I knew who the killer was very early on.

Don't Make a Sound by David Jackson

The Housemaid by Freida McFadden

True Colours: My Autobiography by Barry Geragthy

Buy less books than I have this year
Read more books than I have this year
Read books that are part of a series as I have a number of books on my shelf that consist of this i.e. The Cosy Teashop series by Caroline Roberts, The Miss Underhay Series by Helena Dixon, The CockleBerry Bay Series by Nicola May and The Harpers Emporium Series by Rosie Clarke

• Heart
My favourite are

Marcereads
Coolgalreading
Bookswithmitch (but she isnt posting regularly)
Ellereadsomebook
Rachelturnsthepage

I think it depends what you like reading though :D
Would also add scottiesandbooks to this list too. Second coolgalreading who does read *tonnes* but isn't smug about it if you know what I mean.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
2023 Recap

Good! Really made an effort to read more. Discovered booktok and really got into fantasy. Read some amazing books and tried to prioritise reading over other things like doom scrolling. Also got very into audiobooks for my commute.

Probably either 4 or 5/5!

Crescent City book 1 lives rent free in my head along with the Shepherd King duology.

The Priory of the Orange Tree
Caraval series
ACOTAR
TOG
Fourth Wing & Iron Flame
Divine Rivals

The Hunting Party, it was just so meh. I’m over Lisa Foley, I thought the same about the Paris Apartment.

The Priory of the Orange Tree. It’s such a time and the first couple of chapters I wasn’t sure about but wow that is a great book! Looking forward to the paperback of book two at the end of Jan!

The Cruel Prince series. I liked it but I expected more.

Britney Spears’ Woman in Me. I found it so fascinating.

To read my physical TBR pile (cupboard!) before buying any more new books!! 🫣🫣

• Heart
2023 Recap

I feel like I’ve had such a good reading year. I’ve read more books than I have in years and read every day this year for the first year in I don’t even know how long. I also started listening to more audiobooks and now really enjoy them!

This is so hard to choose only one. Probably Young Mungo by Douglas Stuart

A man called Ove - Fredrik Backman
The most fun we ever had - Claire Lombardo Before my actual heart breaks - Tish Delaney
After I Do - Taylor Jenkins Reid

The last one at the party by Bethany Clift. Thought it was so overrated and full of plot holes

Excuse me while I ugly cry by Joya Goffney and The seven year slip by Ashley Poston. I never usually read ya/romance and if I do it’s for a quick read but I loved them both, felt they went deeper than your average romance

What book didnt live up to your expectation? Or just wasn’t as good as you thought it would be?
The list by Yomi Adegoke. I was so looking forward to this and it fell flat for me

Know my name by Chanel Miller. Loved it, I never usually rate memoirs but that was a 5 star

I want to read and actually finish series. I have about 3 or 4 series that I started and haven’t finished. Also the usual of buying less books for the sake of it and actually getting through my tbr. I would quite like to do a reading challenge too, I think I’ll have a couple of months where I do a reading prompt generator to choose my reads as I really enjoyed that the month I done it this year! I think I’ll up my number goal to 75 but I won’t feel pressured to hit it

• Heart
2023 Recap

#Whilst I have read less this year I do think it has been a Goodyear as I am starting to realise my tastes a bit more after this year. I no longer want to read YA unless it really interests me as they have all been crap this year. I also am moving slightly away from Romance with a few exceptions for authors I love and books I really want to read.

3.5 according to Goodreads

I think it will be Fourth Wing but having only just started this its to early to say it's my favourite as there is time for this to go downhill.
So I'm going to have to say Happy Place -Emily Henry (lol after saying I'm moving away from romance)

A man called Ove
I'm glad my mom died
Love Pamela
Romantic Comedy
The Thursday murder club
The appeal
The twelve dates of Christmas

Window shopping - just bad, laughably bad

The Thursday Murder club series who knew books about pensioners would be so good.

Her majesty's Royal Coven so hyped but felt like it was trying to hard to fit for a woke audience (if that makes sense)

Counting the cost - used to be a big duggar fan back in the day before the scandals so is amazing to see someone grow so much and figure out who they are and what they believe. Nice to see someone setting positive boundarys and realise they grew up in a cult essentially and how it is not normal.

Do you have any book goals for 2024

Less so numbers but more want to figure out my tastes more and just pick up books I think will make me happy and that I want to read. Also want to do. Challenge but not sure which one.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
2023 Recap

I surpassed my target so pleased about that. Disappointed that I ran out of steam towards the end of the year and was unable to keep the momentum going in November and December. I've read some absolute bangers but fewer 5*s than I'd like. I'm also disappointed that I didn't check off a fair few books that I fully intended to read this year.

The Most Fun We Ever Had.

On the Savage Side
You Be Mother
Beartown and Us Against You
Before My Actual Heart Breaks

PRIDE AND PREJUDICE. Simply no for me.

Beartown!

Bunny! I was expecting it to be right up my street. It was a little bit up there but just a disappointment tbh.

Know My Name - Chanel Miller

I'm Glad My Mum Died - Jennette McCurdy

Read more big fat juicy ones - don't be intimidated by the size.

I'd like to add an additional question:

What 2024 release are you most excited about?

Blue Sisters by Coco Mellors. Omg omg omg I absolutely CANNOT CONTAIN MYSELF.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
2023 Recap

Good, I read 69 this year and 44 last year. Like I mentioned previously, it never feels enough though!

3.2 - i read a lot of average 'meh' books and I never dnf!

Zodiac academy 3, 4 or 5 😅

Heir of fire
Fire and Blood
The family upstairs
Before and after

All the Colleen Hoover books I read (November 9, Ugly love, It ends with us)
Birthday Girl

Yellowface

Fourth wing and Iron flame 😬
The atlas six

The fear bubble
Into the uncanny

Read a song of ice and fire (got the boxset last year for Christmas!)
Carry on my Kindle daily streak (I'm at over 200 days currently)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
2023 Recap

2022 was the year I got back into reading, 2023 was the year I was fairly consistent with reading, but could still be better. Overall, I'm happy with my reading year.

I don't rate

Journey to the Centre of the Earth - Jules Verne

THe Choice - S.J. Ford (I enjoyed it, even if when book club thread read it largely hated it)

The Couple at No. 9 - Claire Douglas

Firewatching - Russ Thomas

Non-Fiction: Behind the Enigma - The Authorised History of GCHQ - John Ferris, what should have been a book about quite an interesting subject was unbelievably dry and dull, very hard to read and just ultimately not worth my time I felt.

Fiction: New Pompeii - Daniel Godfrey, could've been brilliant, an intriguing concept, but badly executed and didn't really have enough of plot resolution, it felt half finished in ways and just left me feeling like it was a slog to get through by the end.

The Marlow Murder Club, was expecting it to be similar to TMC, but was actually much better and I really enjoyed it compared to the Osman books.

The People on Platform 5 - Clare Pooley, was well reviewed, but just fell a bit flat for me. Kind of reminded me of the Sky Christmas film This is Christmas, which was so good, this just didn't land in the same way even though it had that similar concept of commuting strangers becoming friends and their lives connecting etc.

its a book I'm still reading actually, and won't finish this year I don't think. The Earth Transformed - Peter Frankopan. Really interesting and engaging, the role of climate change and climate events on the development of the planet, humanity, society etc and structures in society like government and religion etc. So engaging and I'm really enjoying it.

keep reading, read more, get the TBR smaller, buy less, buy smarter. I don't do number goals, but just to keep reading and keep having the joy of reading.

Probably being more willing to DNF books should be a goal, a book needs to be worth my time and effort.
My DNF's for 2023:
Writers & Lovers - Lily King
Then We Came to the End - Joshua Ferris
The Locals - Jonathan Dee

Probably should've and could've been more.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.