Books #17 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I never thought I'd be a Kindle convert but I haven't picked up a physical book since November so clearly I am

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I just finished What Lies Between Us and I feel like I’m in the minority but it was a 3 star for me. Entertaining read but far too many plot twists/plot holes to the point it takes me out of the story. I’ve found this with a book of his before, The Good Samaritan was almost a 5 star for me until the last twist.

I’m a total kindle fan, I read so much more with it. Haven’t read a physical book since I got mines 🫣

Reactions: 3
On the reading chat - I do notice that my reading time slides if I'm going through a patchy mental health period. One of the questions I usually ask myself during those times is when did I last pick up a book? If it has been more than a couple of days then I try to head to bed early with my book or Kindle.

I realise that this might be quite a simplistic way of looking at mental health and hope I've not offended anyone by it.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I wasn't trying to cast shame on Kindle users or anything, so I hope no one thinks that. I just think if we don't use our book shops we will lose them on our high streets. I don't know about where any one else lives but our high street is a bazillion coffee shops, another bazillion betting shops, a Waitrose, a library that isn't really a library and a Waterstones. I think my mum singlehandedly keeps that Waterstones in business though. Our conversations go "Popped to Waitrose today but before that I went in Waterstones and....." Every single time. I know not everyone can afford a physical book and however we read is what we can do for ourselves. I'm just passionate about keeping our bookshops.

Our library is stripped back to about four piddly shelves of books, 50 computers and a bunch of conference/work rooms. Not a library at all. But people stopped using it for books so 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 14
I think my mum singlehandedly keeps that Waterstones in business though. Our conversations go "Popped to Waitrose today but before that I went in Waterstones and....." Every single time. I know not everyone can afford a physical book and however we read is what we can do for ourselves. I'm just passionate about keeping our bookshops.
same 💙💙 i think, like with so many aspects of high street shopping, convenience trumps everything, which i completely get, but it would be a shame to lose the few bookshop chains we have left (so many seem to have already gone). like said above though, i do frequently buy from amazon myself so am also contributing to the problem a bit. it’s just so easy.

also, i think i’m your mum - only with swansea waterstones. if any of you are ever in that shop and see a blonde girl, it is me, come and say hi 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My local library is being shut 😔 it's totally in the wrong place so doesn't get used frequently.

Such a shame as I think if it was moved to the village, it would be used more.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I wasn't trying to cast shame on Kindle users or anything, so I hope no one thinks that. I just think if we don't use our book shops we will lose them on our high streets. I don't know about where any one else lives but our high street is a bazillion coffee shops, another bazillion betting shops, a Waitrose, a library that isn't really a library and a Waterstones. I think my mum singlehandedly keeps that Waterstones in business though. Our conversations go "Popped to Waitrose today but before that I went in Waterstones and....." Every single time. I know not everyone can afford a physical book and however we read is what we can do for ourselves. I'm just passionate about keeping our bookshops.

Our library is stripped back to about four piddly shelves of books, 50 computers and a bunch of conference/work rooms. Not a library at all. But people stopped using it for books so 🤷🏻‍♀️
Totally agree, I love browsing in book shops but it was always a bit of a rare treat for me. We never had a bookshop (other than WHSmith) in our town so my book buying pre-Kindle was mainly via Amazon anyway and only usually tended to be when I wanted something specific. We do now have a fairly new independent book shop so I am conscious of trying to make that my first port of call when I do buy physical books.

I do still have a bit of lingering guilt about deserting my local library though. That is where most of my books came from and I used to love a good library haul. Our local council is culling lots of our libraries but luckily my local one is still hanging on in there…no thanks to me!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Kindle user here, I'm still using the same one I got in 2013.

I still have a lot of physical books as well, though these are now confined to 1 billy bookcase (the tall one).

Reactions: 2
I really do wish libraries could be pushed and promoted more, maybe by councils. There seems to be a real reading renaissance and I know a lot of people don't realise they can get ebooks at the library, for example. Gen Z appear to like pretty hardbacks so hopefully a push in that direction will give bookshops a USP, things like limited edition covers, artwork competitions etc could make serious money turning books into collectors items, kind of like the huge resurgence in vinyl for music vs streaming.

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I really do wish libraries could be pushed and promoted more, maybe by councils. There seems to be a real reading renaissance and I know a lot of people don't realise they can get ebooks at the library, for example. Gen Z appear to like pretty hardbacks so hopefully a push in that direction will give bookshops a USP, things like limited edition covers, artwork competitions etc could make serious money turning books into collectors items, kind of like the huge resurgence in vinyl for music vs streaming.
Agreed. I love my library and feel quite lucky that it's pretty big and it's always busy so hopefully not at risk of closure any time soon. They also put on a lot of kids activities which brings the punters in! There's also a cafe upstairs and they run the mobile library service from there too. I go at least once a week.

Reactions: 8
Agreed. I love my library and feel quite lucky that it's pretty big and it's always busy so hopefully not at risk of closure any time soon. They also put on a lot of kids activities which brings the punters in! There's also a cafe upstairs and they run the mobile library service from there too. I go at least once a week.
Sounds like heaven.

• Heart
Trouble is councils are absolutely strapped for cash. Libraries are a soft target to make budget cuts especially as they're usually lumped in with sports and leisure facilities. Many library buildings date from the 19th century and badly need investment to bring them up to 21st century standards.

E-books are a bit of sticky issue as it could be used to justify closing physical branches. Why pay money to heat, light and staff a building when readers can download an e-book to their own devices at home?

Librarians and library staff are trained to post-graduate levels and encompass so many roles, not too dissimilar to social workers or Job Center case workers. As far as I am aware no professional library course provides training in supporting the homeless, the elderly or non-digital natives. But yet they fill those roles in many local libraries.

Sorry, I've worked in libraries in the past and still know people that do. It's a depressing sector that's being asked to do so much with so little. Our local libraries are great. They had a big push offering activities for kids during the recent teachers strikes and Easter holidays. The staff in my local branch seem to remember everyone's names, even the little kids.

Libraries are one of the few public spaces we have left but some are struggling to stay afloat.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I would love to work in a library. In fact my local has recently advertised and if it wasn’t for the fact that the hours don’t currently suit, I’d have definitely gone for it 😂

I’ve not been to ours as much since moving as it’s not round the corner anymore, but after reading other posts about supporting their local libraries, it does make me want to make an effort to go more. I’d have to put myself on a one book limit though 😅

What’s the most beautiful library anyone has been to? I’ve been to Trinity College which was beautiful but unfortunately very busy.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
What’s the most beautiful library anyone has been to? I’ve been to Trinity College which was beautiful but unfortunately very busy.
the national library of wales in aberystwyth! it has the book of taliesin and the hendregadredd manuscript (and is a generally beautiful and interesting building).

i was also lucky enough to go into the william rennie mackintosh library at the glasgow school of art before it was so badly damaged, gorgeous building :(

• Heart
I would love to work in a library. In fact my local has recently advertised and if it wasn’t for the fact that the hours don’t currently suit, I’d have definitely gone for it 😂

I’ve not been to ours as much since moving as it’s not round the corner anymore, but after reading other posts about supporting their local libraries, it does make me want to make an effort to go more. I’d have to put myself on a one book limit though 😅

The main New York Public Library here 🥰 Im often in Dublin though so will need to check out Trinity.

• Heart
I’m in Birmingham next month and theirs looks amazing so I might need to pay a quick visit 👀

Trinity College definitely worth a visit. I've been twice and nearly cried seeing the Book of Kells. Felt like a Mumsnetter tourist (if you know that thread).

The Wellcome Library is mind blowing and right beside Euston Station. Good for a mooch around if you're waiting for a train. Ditto the British Library for similar reasons and location.

The National Library of Scotland has a magnificent staircase just as you walk in the door. Still never made it to the cafe 😝

I've got a soft spot for my hometown library which I think might be a Carnegie. Unfortunately too outing so can't share but there's loads of Carnegie libraries to browse on Google.

ETA - it is a Carnegie library and probably one of the nicest examples (not that I'm biased, haha!).

• Heart

Definitely go! I love going to mine, it's quite a therapeutic experience, just looking through rows of books! Ours is quite modern but so busy most of the time it gives me hope for its survival.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.