Books #17 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
As soon as Daisy Darker was our Tattle book club choice I used some of my book token to order this edition (from an indie book shop. I know a 99p read is all that is accessible for some people and I get that. But those 8 99p books this month, that you will never read and delete in a year? Could be one indie book from your local high street that you will read and adore. I am so scared one day we will have a whole generation who won't know a bookshop in the same way we now have people who don't know Woolworths, just sayin')

20230502_162921.jpg

Why am I such a sucker for a sprayed edge? It is written in a lovely font as well. Need to finish my current read then get on with this.

• Heart
Reactions: 21
I sadly prefer a digital book but I do buy physical copies of books which look nice on my book shelf 😁

I just like to read in the dark so digital is easier 🤭

My dream is to have a spare room with only book shelves and have a physical copy of every book Ive ever read. Even if I listened on audio or read it on kindle. Maybe once my kids move out (although is that a dream these days 😂 )

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I definitely prefer reading on my kindle but will also buy a physical copy of a book if I loved it, so I can have it to admire 🤣

Also read Just Got Real last year and really enjoyed it! Currently reading House in the Cerulean Sea and feel like my 6am alarm is not my friend because I just want to read this book all night and not sleep 💫

Reactions: 4
I rarely buy physical books as unfortunately just can’t justify the cost if I can get it on the kindle for 99p. Even better if I can borrow them from the library or get them from a charity shop.

Having said that, we’ve just replaced our bedside tables and a now have a little shelf built in. I cannot tell you the joy it gave me selecting a couple of books from the bookshelf to have next to my bed 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 6
1/4 way through Weyward and absolutely loving it so far! Intrigued to see where it’s going to go now all the three characters are becoming linked!

Hopefully my kittens will allow me to read. I may end up going to sit in a park over bank holiday so I don’t get distracted from reading by their cute faces 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Opened up the case on my Kindle earlier and it’s so old and battered that the magnet on the clasp has come loose and is falling out. First thought - may as well just buy a new Kindle then!

I’ve since had a word with myself and just ordered a new case but the thought is in my brain now! 🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Just finished Daisy Darker, another 5 star read! Really need to go to bed now 😂

Reactions: 7
Oh yea I definitely struggle with my mental health - been a lifelong battle. I don’t think I’ve dipped far enough for me to think anything major is going on but just in a proper funk. Probably a good place to try and change things up a bit, like get outside and eat a bit better to see if that all perks me up and gets me back on track. I also think I need to delete TikTok - it’s the only social media I’m on and I’ve fallen too far into its grip this last few weeks.
I use reading to measure my mental health. There was a time when I couldn’t absorb the simplest sentence due to foggy and muddled brain. If I feel nothing is pulling me in I look at where I am with everything else and try addressing things before I fall down a hole. When I feel a bit clearer I start back with easy, feel good books - The People on Platform 5, The Lovestory of Missy Carmichael etc. I hope you feel better soon xxx

• Heart
Reactions: 8
As soon as Daisy Darker was our Tattle book club choice I used some of my book token to order this edition (from an indie book shop. I know a 99p read is all that is accessible for some people and I get that. But those 8 99p books this month, that you will never read and delete in a year? Could be one indie book from your local high street that you will read and adore. I am so scared one day we will have a whole generation who won't know a bookshop in the same way we now have people who don't know Woolworths, just sayin')

View attachment 2144083

Why am I such a sucker for a sprayed edge? It is written in a lovely font as well. Need to finish my current read then get on with this.
I wanted to read Daisy Darker for the book club but it is $16 here in Australia for the Kindle version. So I am going to go find a paperback and spend that money on a physical copy :) I was so excited for the pick until I saw the price on my kindle 😂

Reactions: 3
Ooh aidil x blonde book club incoming! 🤣💜 The premise sounds right up my street! Also I’m a sucker for a pretty cover like this one…!

They’re cute but god I’m missing my reading time so bad 🤣
They are adorable. My cat is 18 now but she doesn't seem to have got the memo as she still races around, eats like a horse and acts much younger.

O/T I haven't read anything like the quantity of books you've all read in April. I managed 3, which is ok as I'd stopped reading for months so getting back into the habit.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I use reading to measure my mental health. There was a time when I couldn’t absorb the simplest sentence due to foggy and muddled brain. If I feel nothing is pulling me in I look at where I am with everything else and try addressing things before I fall down a hole. When I feel a bit clearer I start back with easy, feel good books - The People on Platform 5, The Lovestory of Missy Carmichael etc. I hope you feel better soon xxx
That’s such an insightful thought process - thank you for that! Shall definitely keep that in mind going forward.

Last night I actually managed to read a good chunk of Daisy Darker and was enjoying it!! I only stopped because I needed sleep. I ended up sleeping for over 12 hours so clearly l needed the rest.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I definitely prefer reading on my kindle but will also buy a physical copy of a book if I loved it, so I can have it to admire 🤣
I also prefer reading on my kindle now (despite being adamant I wouldn’t) but I don’t buy physical books anymore. The cost is partly why but then I have tried to really declutter my home and the only books I have are a handful of unwritten fiction, some self development/non-fiction and the illustrated Harry Potters. I got rid of my huge collection a couple years ago as just didn’t have the space. And although I love looking at bookshelves, I just can’t justify the cost or space unfortunately.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I buy a lot of physical copies, especially fantasy books I like having a series on my bookshelf :ROFLMAO: anything that is on KU though and stand alones I do tend to downloaded on my kindle

Reactions: 2
i’m honestly pretty lucky with the space i have for books - it’s just me in my house and so i’ve been able to dedicate a lot of wall space to bookcases (god bless ikea 🙌🏻) - i don’t have a kindle and always buy physical books if i can. it is my sole aim to keep waterstones afloat 🤣

that being said, i am accepting that i might be purchasing a kindle in future - for holidays if nothing else. i can’t say i don’t approve because i absolutely buy books from amazon already!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
i’m honestly pretty lucky with the space i have for books - it’s just me in my house and so i’ve been able to dedicate a lot of wall space to bookcases (god bless ikea 🙌🏻) - i don’t have a kindle and always buy physical books if i can. it is my sole aim to keep waterstones afloat 🤣

that being said, i am accepting that i might be purchasing a kindle in future - for holidays if nothing else. i can’t say i don’t approve because i absolutely buy books from amazon already!
It was a holiday that converted me to Kindle. Was very much a real book person and quite adamant that I would never switch to ebooks, then I borrowed my mums Kindle to save suitcase space on a trip to Spain and the rest is history! I read almost exclusively on my Kindle now.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Kindle holiday supremacy :ROFLMAO: I borrowed my sisters old kindle when I went on holiday then also got my own
---
Anyone who loves fantasy/fae/magic, Emily Wilde's Encyclopaedia of Faeries is 99p on kindle

• Heart
It was a holiday that converted me to Kindle. Was very much a real book person and quite adamant that I would never switch to ebooks, then I borrowed my mums Kindle to save suitcase space on a trip to Spain and the rest is history! I read almost exclusively on my Kindle now.
this is the big selling point for me too! i don’t know if i’ll ever switch to it entirely (but this is famous last words i know 🤣) but i cannot deny that it would be amazing for holidays. the room i will have for holiday shopping instead ☀

• Heart
Reactions: 4
i was converted to a kindle when i went travelling for the summer during uni! lasted two months then it broke literally on my final plane ride home - the absolute horror i'd have felt if it was a few weeks earlier. now i always have a backup book just in case, but i've also not been away for as long as that!

I do the same thing! When I was depressed it was always a marker for where I was up to, and helped me communicate with my Psychiatrist about where I was at too. It's really bleeping hard dealing with depression and anxiety and other mental health stuff, so if any tattlers are struggling know you are not alone, and that there is hope. ❤

I buy mostly physical books. But I really like my Kindle for KU stuff, and then occasionally the monthly deals.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.