Books #17 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have a waterstones giftcard to use up. Does anyone have any thrillers/5 star reads they would recommend please? I am hoping to pop in tomorrow!

Reactions: 2
What’s the most beautiful library anyone has been to? I’ve been to Trinity College which was beautiful but unfortunately very busy.
Liverpool Central Library is really quite beautiful. I was there for work for a week earlier this year and enjoyed a very peaceful afternoon reading some documents in the Picton reading room.

I’m in Birmingham next month and theirs looks amazing so I might need to pay a quick visit 👀
Definitely do! It's so so much nicer than the old one. Make sure you take a trip out onto the roof terraces - there are a couple and they've made them into nice garden areas with lovely views. Just double check the opening times, its not open on sundays. Also across the road is the Exchange, which is a historic bank building that has a lovely cafe in. 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 5
My library is amazing and full of young people. It has an amazing study and academic learning section on the top floor which attracts all the students, its better stocked than the library in my college so I am there all the time. I find it so peaceful and relaxing just being around books and the quiet hum of activity going on around me.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Omg I am a holy disgrace. Lived and worked in Dublin most of my adult life and never visited Trinity college library.

• Haha
  • Wow
Trouble is councils are absolutely strapped for cash. Libraries are a soft target to make budget cuts especially as they're usually lumped in with sports and leisure facilities. Many library buildings date from the 19th century and badly need investment to bring them up to 21st century standards.

E-books are a bit of sticky issue as it could be used to justify closing physical branches. Why pay money to heat, light and staff a building when readers can download an e-book to their own devices at home?

Librarians and library staff are trained to post-graduate levels and encompass so many roles, not too dissimilar to social workers or Job Center case workers. As far as I am aware no professional library course provides training in supporting the homeless, the elderly or non-digital natives. But yet they fill those roles in many local libraries.

Sorry, I've worked in libraries in the past and still know people that do. It's a depressing sector that's being asked to do so much with so little. Our local libraries are great. They had a big push offering activities for kids during the recent teachers strikes and Easter holidays. The staff in my local branch seem to remember everyone's names, even the little kids.

Libraries are one of the few public spaces we have left but some are struggling to stay afloat.
Aberdeen council here in Scotland recently annouced they were going to close a number of branches. It was not received well! https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-65268948

I think they’re essential public services. It makes me sad councils see them as cost cutting opportunity.

Our library building closed but the library itself moved to the local theatre/cinema. The building had a massive restoration and is a community hub now as well as a theatre/cinema.

Finished Daisy Darker - 3.5/5 for me :) now to read Happy Place, I didn't get on with Book Lovers so lets see how this goes shall we 😅

Reactions: 3
I haven’t been to my local library in years, since being converted to a kindle user. Baby Finch is due in autumn though so I’m hoping it will become a nice day out for us once they are a bit older. The library was my favourite place to visit as a kid ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I haven’t been to my local library in years, since being converted to a kindle user. Baby Finch is due in autumn though so I’m hoping it will become a nice day out for us once they are a bit older. The library was my favourite place to visit as a kid ❤
Congratulations 🥰

• Heart
Liverpool Central Library is really quite beautiful. I was there for work for a week earlier this year and enjoyed a very peaceful afternoon reading some documents in the Picton reading room.

Definitely do! It's so so much nicer than the old one. Make sure you take a trip out onto the roof terraces - there are a couple and they've made them into nice garden areas with lovely views. Just double check the opening times, its not open on sundays. Also across the road is the Exchange, which is a historic bank building that has a lovely cafe in. 🥰
Aah thank you for the tips 🥰 will be sure to go out to the roof terraces if we can. Will take pics!

Reactions: 1
Omg I am a holy disgrace. Lived and worked in Dublin most of my adult life and never visited Trinity college library.
I’ve gone up to Dublin more times than I can count and I’ve still never been!

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
i went a few years back and FULLY prepared to go to trinity but only got as close as a bar opposite 🤣 too much shopping and drinking to make it to the library!

i finished again, rachel by marian keyes yesterday after absolutely flying through it. enjoyed it far more than rachel’s holiday, initially gave it four stars but downgraded to three when i woke up this morning.

just about to finally start pachinko (and collect my amazon order of three more books oops. i blame you lovely people)

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 9
Omg baby finch! Love it. Congrats 🥳🥰❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.