Books #17 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just finished The Institute by Stephen King. My third book of the author and I can say that I really don’t think they are books for me. I just haven’t been able to get into them at all.

I’ve picked up Cress by Marissa Meyer in the hope that something lighter will hold my attention a bit more.

Reactions: 2
I read the mutual friend by carter bays this week - it zips around a lot from character to character/diff viewpoints but I really enjoyed it!

It’s by the same writer as how I met your mother and can definitely tell with the style/New York setting!

I’ve just read “The Mountains Sing” and it’s an amazing multigenerational book about a family struggling with the war in vietnam. I strongly recommend! It’s got times where you are so shocked and just want to cry, but some moments where it’s so beautifully written you feel for all the characters involved!
Really good to get you out of a reading slump too!

Reactions: 6
I’ve just read “The Mountains Sing” and it’s an amazing multigenerational book about a family struggling with the war in vietnam. I strongly recommend! It’s got times where you are so shocked and just want to cry, but some moments where it’s so beautifully written you feel for all the characters involved!
Really good to get you out of a reading slump too!
I read this while we were in Vietnam. I picked it up in one of the backpackery book swap stores for 50,000 dong - about £1.20 and it was bruised, tattered and torn. I loved it like you did and I have so many happy memories of where I was when I read the first quarter and so on. Maybe it is due a reread soon, I still have that original copy.

• Heart
a polarising book here i know but the first reviews of the play version of a little life are interesting!

i cannot imagine it being nearly four hours without an interval. how exhausted must james norton be at the end?! like the article points out, at least you could take a break from the relentless trauma of the book!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
a polarising book here i know but the first reviews of the play version of a little life are interesting!

i cannot imagine it being nearly four hours without an interval. how exhausted must james norton be at the end?! like the article points out, at least you could take a break from the relentless trauma
of the book!
I can’t believe it’s that long with no interval! It’s such an emotionally draining read, I wonder how graphic the show is. I still have such conflicting thoughts about the book and don’t know if I’d like to see that on a stage. Quite sad it says it cuts out a lot of the friendship/camaraderie, I think that was so central to the book and was some relief in amongst all the horror

• Heart
Reactions: 4

i cannot imagine it being nearly four hours without an interval. how exhausted must james norton be at the end?! like the article points out, at least you could take a break from the relentless trauma
of the book!
Four hours without an interval is gonna alienate a huge percentage of audiences, simply because they will buy all their drinks at the bar before the show, drink too much too early and then need to pee in the middle of the show

Reactions: 5
I can’t believe it’s that long with no interval! It’s such an emotionally draining read, I wonder how graphic the show is. I still have such conflicting thoughts about the book and don’t know if I’d like to see that on a stage. Quite sad it says it cuts out a lot of the friendship/camaraderie, I think that was so central to the book and was some relief in amongst all the horror
it is a crazy length for a play tbh - and james norton is a type one diabetic! he said on graham norton that the crew were going to hide snacks and stuff in props for him but, yikes.

it was staged in germany (i think?) previously and i read a few reviews then who said it is relentless in misery and, like you say, cuts down on a lot of the friendship dynamic which sometimes balanced the book out. i read a big review from someone on tumblr who mentioned that there are a lot of self harm scenes, if the production is the same.

i had to clear my head from the book a few times, even though i liked it. i wonder if they’re going to get some walk outs from people who realise they just can’t deal with it.
---
Four hours without an interval is gonna alienate a huge percentage of audiences, simply because they will buy all their drinks at the bar before the show, drink too much too early and then need to pee in the middle of the show
and i would need a LARGE wine before getting started on this too. from the photos the production looks like it’s in the round or has on stage seating, which seems wild with no interval for the reasons you say.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I read Asking for It by Louise o'Neill today.

What an utterly hauntingly painful book to read. I feel like she spliced my heart open with a scalpel and stuck it all back together. What a book. Totally triggering so I'd read the blurb before reading it. But for such a terrible subject matter it was so beautifully and delicately written. By the time I was contemplating if I could read on I was already invested in finding out what happened to Emma in the end.

4* but gee, I cried like a baby.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
@LaBlonde that is brutal, it must be so gruelling to work on. Do you by any chance remember the name of the post with the long review? I’d be interested in reading it! I can imagine there being a lot of people who can’t handle watching the full thing

What an utterly hauntingly painful book to read. I feel like she spliced my heart open with a scalpel and stuck it all back together. What a book. Totally triggering so I'd read the blurb before reading it. But for such a terrible subject matter it was so beautifully and delicately written. By the time I was contemplating if I could read on I was already invested in finding out what happened to Emma in the end.

One of my absolute favourites from last year. Completely agree with everything you’ve said

• Heart
@LaBlonde that is brutal, it must be so gruelling to work on. Do you by any chance remember the name of the post with the long review? I’d be interested in reading it! I can imagine there being a lot of people who can’t handle watching the full thing
i will try and find it for you! hopefully i saved it to my favourites somewhere 🧐

• Heart
Reactions: 1

I have this on my TBR Im sure. Sounds like something Id enjoy.

I finished Cleopatra and Frankenstein this morning. 5 stars from me. The writing was really good. Not one for plot driven readers though.

• Heart
Reading Crying in H Mart at the moment. I wasn’t sure about it at first but it’s growing on me. A tough read though.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

i cannot imagine it being nearly four hours without an interval. how exhausted must james norton be at the end?! like the article points out, at least you could take a break from the relentless trauma of the book!
I'm seeing it next month and have stage seats. Not quite sure what I'm letting myself in for - I'm only 6% into the book and have siatica so the seats were not a good choice for me.

I've not read the article as it probably has spoilers and I'm doing my best to avoid until I've read more of the book.

• Heart
edit: as an update, enjoying tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow; it’s a genre of american lit-fic that i usually like (it’s very michael chabon!) it does occasionally applaud itself for its own cleverness but i’ll allow it.

@LaBlonde that is an excellent description of Tomorrow x 3. I'm almost certain that I mentioned the author's love of the thesaurus when we read it for the Book Club.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I'm seeing it next month and have stage seats. Not quite sure what I'm letting myself in for - I'm only 6% into the book and have siatica so the seats were not a good choice for me.

I've not read the article as it probably has spoilers and I'm doing my best to avoid until I've read more of the book.
i would be intrigued to hear your thoughts!

if you don’t finish the book before you go, i would definitely try and read some trigger warnings online. they hopefully won’t be spoilery but will help you prepare yourself.
---
edit: as an update, enjoying tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow; it’s a genre of american lit-fic that i usually like (it’s very michael chabon!) it does occasionally applaud itself for its own cleverness but i’ll allow it.

@LaBlonde that is an excellent description of Tomorrow x 3. I'm almost certain that I mentioned the author's love of the thesaurus when we read it for the Book Club.
ha, thank you! i am still enjoying it but the author definitely wants people to know she’s smart. i’m not into her need to explain all her references too (sadie’s ex gets described as looking like chris cornell, which is fine, but she writes it as “chris cornell, the lead singer of the grunge band soundgarden” and it bugged me 🤣)

Reactions: 2
i would be intrigued to hear your thoughts!

if you don’t finish the book before you go, i would definitely try and read some trigger warnings online. they hopefully won’t be spoilery but will help you prepare yourself.
I've seen some bits about the triggers but just avoiding anything too detailed about the play.

I have a child free weekend and just finished some intense work study so have free time this weekend to hopefully make a dent in the book.

Oh I’d be so interested to know what you make of it! Hope your able to finish the book before the show, definitely took me a while to get through!

Reactions: 1
Hey! Just started reading Great Expectations and finding it a struggle atm. Has anyone here read it and is it worth carrying on if I'm not gripped?!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.