Books #15 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't often get a refund but sometimes I truly can't abide the narrator (despite having listened to a sample you can't always get the proper vibe from that) or I discover I already own it in another format!

The refund I requested that they honoured was from a daily deal a few weeks back. It was "His Dark Materials: The Complete BBC Radio Collection". I didn't twig that they were abridged versions so I wanted a refund as I felt a bit duped. I hadn't even listened to it, just saw how short it was and then delved deeper.

But I will definitely think twice before buying daily deals now.

Reactions: 5
I haven’t read them, but that sort of thing is right up my street so I’d love to know how you get on with it 🙂
I am 100 pages in and totally gripped by the storyline, I love that there is Scottish accent speech written in there.
---

Yes I have! I liked them. I read Whisky from Small Glasses in a newborn fog whilst feeding my youngest. (I think I read each page 3 times over - not because it wasnt good though!)
Ahh. Good to know!

I was trying to read The Goldfinch while in a newborn fog when my youngest was born. I must have read page 34, at least 34 times. It is a funny memory now because she was born in Singapore and I can remember so clearly, my husband with the others in the pool and me snuggling this baby and reading page 34 repeatedly.

Reactions: 4
I love classics! But it's like any 'genre', it can be hit or miss. Madame Bovary, Frankenstein, Crime and Punishment would be my three recommendations for non-classic readers.

Speaking of hit or miss, I read Letters to a young poet by Rainer Maria Rilke and I didn't like it... So many people praises it and I really don't get it. Gave it 1/5. Maybe I had too much expectations?

Finished Vera (Mrs Nabokov) by Stacy Schiff. Loved it, gave it 5/5. Will be a yearly re-read.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
I finished The Tea Planter's Daughter last night and loved it. First 5* of the year for me. It's been on my kindle for 2 years and I kept putting it off due to the length of the book. The thing is, once I start, I plough through long books if I'm enjoying the storyline.

Reactions: 6
I finished The Tea Planter's Daughter last night and loved it. First 5* of the year for me. It's been on my kindle for 2 years and I kept putting it off due to the length of the book. The thing is, once I start, I plough through long books if I'm enjoying the storyline.
This is also on my Kindle, sounds like I need to move it up my tbr.

I’ve just finished Beyond the Wand and really enjoyed it. I’ve picked up Fairytale by Stephen King - I didn’t really enjoy my first book y him that I picked up and hoping this one will be different

OK, guys I finished P&P and now I want to read something trashy, sort of mindless but at the same time also Very Good and memorable. Any recommendations for this niche request????
Something trashy but good- I’d go with a CoHo or Taylor Jenkins Reid as they don’t require too much thinking but they’re still page turners! I found The Maid by Nita Prose very readable too
---

Ooh I picked this up in a charity shop a while back too!

Going back to an earlier post about a reader being put off of a book because of its length, what number of pages has that effect on you?

For me it probably anything longer than about 450 pages. Just thinking of Firefly Lane which is one of my all time favourites. (And due a re-read soon)

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Going back to an earlier post about a reader being put off of a book because of its length, what number of pages has that effect on you?

For me it probably anything longer than about 450 pages. Just thinking of Firefly Lane which is one of my all time favourites. (And due a re-read soon)
I’ve read plenty of big books - War & Peace, A Little Life etc and and most recently re-read Riders by Jilly Cooper (a true British classic! 😂) - but I have to almost psyche myself up for them. If I’m scrolling my TBR for my next read the I think anything over 400 pages would make me pause.

On the flip side I also look at some books and think they’re too short! Anything under 250 pages and I wonder if it’s worth bothering with or if there’s not enough room to tell a decent story!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
After the handy tip from a poster on here a couple of weeks ago I managed to return all my DNF books to audible. Around 5 in total.

For non-fiction, any length is okay as long as it's well researched and written.

For fiction, I'm wary of books over 350 pages. It always makes me wonder if the author is bad, self-indulgent, or in need of an editor (but some of my fav are over 350 pages so it's not very rational 🤷‍♀️ ). I do DNF more easily if the book is long.

That said, my next fictions will be Shuggie Bain and The Robber Bride, both well over 350 pages. But they were recommended here so I've no choice 😅

I’ve finally done it and ordered a new Kindle! 🤩Mine is having serious battery issues so I have traded it in. Amazon do a good scheme where you get a trade in gift card plus 20% off a new Kindle.
I have a lot of trips coming up and a kindle with a dodgy battery would be very upsetting. So excited to play with it, how sad am I 😆

Reactions: 21
Didn't realise there was a new thread, need to catch up! Finished reading the Nightingale, took me a while but I did enjoy it. I usually enjoy books based during World War II. If anyone has any recommendations for more of them, I would appreciate it.

Not sure what on to next but maybe something quick and easy

I think over 350pages would give me pause. I’m still quite hesitant to DNF (though I’m getting braver!) so I hate the idea of committing to something lengthy that I’m not enjoying.

I read Infinite Jest a few years ago which is over 1,000 and god but it was self indulgent nonsense. I did however feel such a sense of accomplishment in finishing it, but it was a bit of a project of perseverance rather than passion.

Reactions: 9
Didn't realise there was a new thread, need to catch up! Finished reading the Nightingale, took me a while but I did enjoy it. I usually enjoy books based during World War II. If anyone has any recommendations for more of them, I would appreciate it.

Not sure what on to next but maybe something quick and easy
Two Brothers by Ben Elton
The Happiest Man Man on Earth by Edie Jaku

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Back in pre kindle days, the length of a book never bothered me and I used to fly through doorstopper sized novels without a thought. Nowadays I tend to search out books with 350 pages or less. I think kindle has changed my attitude towards reading and it's made me lazy and wanting quick reads.

Since I read 4 of the paperbacks that I've had forever, I'm starting to enjoy an actual book again. I've been given a stack and will read those but will continue to buy eBooks as I'm still very much drawn to the ease of my kindle.

Sorry for the spiel lol, I guess I prefer a book to have less than 350 pages, but if it's by an author I enjoy, I'll read up to 600/700 pages once the story is absorbing.

Reactions: 7
I’ve finally done it and ordered a new Kindle! 🤩Mine is having serious battery issues so I have traded it in. Amazon do a good scheme where you get a trade in gift card plus 20% off a new Kindle.
I have a lot of trips coming up and a kindle with a dodgy battery would be very upsetting. So excited to play with it, how sad am I 😆
I've just done this. Need to print my label and get my old one sent. I have a feeling I might only get a fiver 😭 but the 20% off will do

Reactions: 1
I've just done this. Need to print my label and get my old one sent. I have a feeling I might only get a fiver 😭 but the 20% off will do
I thought the same but according to the guy I spoke to on web chat wear and tear doesn’t count as damage so I should get the £15. 🤞
Which Kindle did you go for? I’m so excited. 😂 I’m sad for my old Kindle but it’s done well. 🪦

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.