Books #15 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I love a long book 🫣 I love getting in to something that’s really long, or a starting a series that has a lot of instalments. I love knowing that I can get properly in to it, really in depth and stick with it and the characters for a while 😅

Reactions: 6
@twilightgarden I'm going for the one that's currently £75, not sure of the model.

I've had mine since 2012 so it's had a good life, but time to be replaced.

Reactions: 2
Going back to an earlier post about a reader being put off of a book because of its length, what number of pages has that effect on you?
I like books that are between 300-400 pages. Unless I’d heard good reviews I probably wouldn’t pick anything up over this amount. The longest book I’ve ever read is A Little Life, it took me ages, I felt like I was reading the same book forever and it just started to get so repetitive, honestly the length put me off more than the content. I’m just of the opinion that nothing needs to be that long and like someone else said it makes me question the author

Reactions: 8
When I properly got back into my reading last year I was reading mainly SJM books and they are all 500+ pages. Most around the 800-900 mark 😳 but I did quite enjoy them during the winter months as i like getting into a big series in the darker months.

I like a good 400 pager, not too long but good enough to connect to the story and characters.

Ohh didn't realise there was a new thread already! I'm still halfway through Betty haha and it's only my second book of this year :cry: somehow I'm too busy in my head to find the time to read haha butI'm sure it'll come back to me

Reactions: 7
I have bought Cleopatra and Frankenstein. It was on my wishlist so its an allowable buy! 😄

Regarding book length, anything more than 400 pages usually makes me pause for thought.

It really depends on the book which is a shame as there are probably loads of good long books out there that I dont give a chance and loads of crap 300 page books Ive read 😂

Books that drag can put me into a slump, I fear Betty is doing this after a really good January.

Didn't realise there was a new thread, need to catch up! Finished reading the Nightingale, took me a while but I did enjoy it. I usually enjoy books based during World War II. If anyone has any recommendations for more of them, I would appreciate it.

Not sure what on to next but maybe something quick and easy
The Golden Doves by Martha Hall Kelly.
Dragonfly by Leila Meachan.
The Lost Letter by Jillian Cantor.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I get bored so easily so books over 400 pages are a risk. I’m happiest when I see around 250-300 pages as I like to be done with a book in around 4 days or so and that’s generally doable with a book under 300 pages. I’ve read a few books around the 100 pages mark over the last few years and they’re always enjoyable as something quick and snappy - good for getting out of slumps with. Two of my most memorable books in 2022 were only around 130 pages, Woom and Only The Stains Remain.

Reactions: 5
Didn't realise there was a new thread, need to catch up! Finished reading the Nightingale, took me a while but I did enjoy it. I usually enjoy books based during World War II. If anyone has any recommendations for more of them, I would appreciate it.

Not sure what on to next but maybe something quick and easy
Kate Quinn is fantastic. I really enjoyed The Alice Network (my favourite of hers), The Rose Code and The Huntress. She also has a new one out called The Diamond Eye which is on my tbr.

We Were The Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter - based on the story of a real family.

I also remember enjoying The Women in the Castle by Jessica Shattuck and Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly but it's been ages since I read those so can't remember them very well now!

Kate Morton has some great historical fiction but I can't remember which of them were set in World War 2. I think maybe The Secret Keeper? Possibly others of hers too.
---

Going back to an earlier post about a reader being put off of a book because of its length, what number of pages has that effect on you?

For me it probably anything longer than about 450 pages. Just thinking of Firefly Lane which is one of my all time favourites. (And due a re-read soon)
I adored Firefly Lane ❤

Anything over 400 I do hesitate, so it has to be one that really sounds like a good one for me. It's an amazing feeling when you're in a great book and it's a long one you can really get stuck into.
---

The Golden Doves by Martha Hall Kelly.
Dragonfly by Leila Meachan.
The Lost Letter by Jillian Cantor.
Ooo just realised we both recommended a Martha Hall Kelly and now The Golden Doves has to go onto my tbr!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
Has anyone else read Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson? I've just finished it. Quite an unusual book but I really enjoyed it! Read it for book club (and amazingly finished it a few weeks before I 'had' to as I whizzed through it) and wondered if anyone else had read it while I'm waiting to hear the Book Club Verdict!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Has anyone else read Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson? I've just finished it. Quite an unusual book but I really enjoyed it! Read it for book club (and amazingly finished it a few weeks before I 'had' to as I whizzed through it) and wondered if anyone else had read it while I'm waiting to hear the Book Club Verdict!
I read it years ago and have added as a potential reread for my A-Z challenge. I have fond memories of reading it and I’m sure there’s a dram too.

Has anyone ever read the Dublin Murder Squad series by Tana French? I want to love it but found it hard to get into the first book. I've DNF'd it twice!😐

Reactions: 1
Has anyone ever read the Dublin Murder Squad series by Tana French? I want to love it but found it hard to get into the first book. I've DNF'd it twice!😐
I've read two of the books four years ago. I'm not sure that I realised it was a series as I read #4 and #6. I had to look up Goodreads as I remember nothing about them. I gave them 2 stars. So I guess they didn't leave much of an impression 😂
Ohh didn't realise there was a new thread already! I'm still halfway through Betty haha and it's only my second book of this year :cry: somehow I'm too busy in my head to find the time to read haha butI'm sure it'll come back to me
I'm really struggling with Betty too. I bought it. So it makes me want to keep reading as I borrow most of my books from the library. It's dragging me down though.

• Haha
Reactions: 4
I mostly read on my kindle so I don’t take the length into consideration at all, because I don’t check how long it is before I start reading!
Physical books I obviously do notice, but if I fancy it the length wouldn’t deter me anyway.

Has anyone else read Oranges Are Not The Only Fruit by Jeanette Winterson?
No but I need to read it! (*add another to the tbr*) Why Be Happy When You Could Be Normal? is a great childhood/teen/coming out memoir and could be an interesting read to compare to Oranges

I’m trying to remember a book I read years ago, I can’t remember what it was called and have tried to google what I can remember and got no where. On the off chance that someone here would know....

It was about a young woman, either English or Irish. She was engaged to a man who was killed in the war. She thought she would never love again. She saw an advert in a paper from a man in Australia who was looking for a wife. She ended up moving out there and they got married and started a family. Then years later she got her sister to go out there and marry her husbands brother. And her husband nearly died somehow and she realised she did love him like she had loved the first man.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.