Books #15 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Bought 10 kindle books on Friday 🙈 Definitely did not need 10 new kindle books 🙈

Finished Vladimir, getting started on Betty now.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I really like John Marrs and have rated all that I’ve read of his, 4/5 stars. One of my favourite books of all time is The Passengers.
I think The Passengers may have been the first of his I read. Definitely a 5 star read for me. My other 5 star if his is What Lies Between Us - I read it at the start of 2021 and the story has still stuck with me. I was gripped throughout it.
I think the weakest I’ve read of his was Her Last Move, still a 4 star but I read it in December last year and I’ve already forgotten what it was about!

Reactions: 3
I’ve been poorly the middle of last week and we’ve also just got a puppy so my weekend has been busy and only just caught up.

This week I have managed to read The Whole Truth by Cara Hunter and also Watership Down. I’m currently reading Beyond the Wand by Tom Felton

Reactions: 6
Question: do you keep a "book journal" or a book where you write favourite quotes?

I don't but I'm thinking of starting. I want to get rid of a few books from my collection and one of them has some amazing quotes (Other voices, other rooms by Capote). How would you deal with this situation? If a book was 2 stars but had some incredible passages? 🤔
Lovely idea. I don’t, but I’d like to. Maybe a digital book for me.

I’m currently reading ‘The Alperton Angels’ by Janice Hallett. I loved ‘The Appeal’ but wasn’t as keen on ‘The Twyford Code’. So far, enjoying this. Seems more like ‘The Appeal’. Anyone else read it?

Reactions: 4
I am currently reading Small Pleasures by Clare Chambers. Enjoying it a lot !! Just purchased 2 more books by Jane Harper as The Dry and Ther Survivors I found excellent and thought I’d treat myself to new kindle books ! (I’m supposed to be sticking to Prime reading or KU but hey ho!!).
force of nature is really good!
---

I’m currently reading ‘The Alperton Angels’ by Janice Hallett. I loved ‘The Appeal’ but wasn’t as keen on ‘The Twyford Code’. So far, enjoying this. Seems more like ‘The Appeal’. Anyone else read it?
ooh no but I’ll check it out as I loved the Appeal too!

Reactions: 1
@Just here to say I keep a journal and have a section for all the books I've read (quicker sometimes than Goodreads). I really like the idea of adding quotes from a book I find interesting. On Kindle, you can highlight and keep notes so that's another option.

• Heart
Is anyone finding the Goodreads search function has gone weird? It says 0 results for almost any search I try, and if I want to find something I need to spell it incorrectly and then quickly click on the book that it suggests before the list of suggestions disappears…

Reactions: 2
Yes I really liked it! I thought it was really clever and didn’t guess how it all fitted together until right at the end.

I've just started Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine and so far I'm hooked. It's amazing!
I think I need to go back reread it. I absolutely devoured it when I first read it about 5 years ago but can’t remember much about it now bar the fact I loved it.

I’ve started Lucinda Berry’s latest release Off The Deep End and I’m inhaling it. I always love her books so hopefully this is more of the same.

Guys, I'm just going to say it. I don't like Pride and Prejudice. Phew, it feels good to say that.

I'm just over halfway through and I really should abandon it but I can't bring myself to. My thinking is I have to finish it now I've got this far. But I kinda hate it?

Has definitely put me off reading more classics. Do people actually enjoy them or just pretend to in order to seem particularly literate and well read???

Reactions: 7
Guys, I'm just going to say it. I don't like Pride and Prejudice. Phew, it feels good to say that.

I'm just over halfway through and I really should abandon it but I can't bring myself to. My thinking is I have to finish it now I've got this far. But I kinda hate it?

Has definitely put me off reading more classics. Do people actually enjoy them or just pretend to in order to seem particularly literate and well read???
I had to study Jane Austen and Charlotte Brontë in university and I hated it 🙈 I wonder if I'd feel differently as an adult reading them. I loved Shakespeare and other classics but for some reason I just couldn't get on with Jane Eyre and Emma 😂

as a classics lover i can definitely recommend you some more readable ones if you’re interested!

pride and prejudice is tricky, persuasion or sense and sensibility are probably my favourite austen. she can be hard because she writes so much within the confines of the day and so it’s a lot of people visiting each other’s houses 🤣 the adaptations of it always seem to work better.
---

I had to study Jane Austen and Charlotte Brontë in university and I hated it 🙈 I wonder if I'd feel differently as an adult reading them. I loved Shakespeare and other classics but for some reason I just couldn't get on with Jane Eyre and Emma 😂
jane eyre is one of my favourite books ever 🤣 i did read it as an impressionable teen though and thought it was the absolute peak of romance! it’s a very different vibe when read as an adult.

Last edited:
  • Haha
as a classics lover i can definitely recommend you some more readable ones if you’re interested!

pride and prejudice is tricky, persuasion or sense and sensibility are probably my favourite austen. she can be hard because she writes so much within the confines of the day and so it’s a lot of people visiting each other’s houses 🤣 the adaptations of it always seem to work better.
---

jane eyre is one of my favourite books ever 🤣 i did read it as an impressionable teen though and thought it was the absolute peak of romance! it’s a very different vibe when read as an adult.
I love Jane Eyre. I read a lot of the Bronte sisters' work while at uni. I actually wrote my dissertation on love in Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights and the Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

But this is the first Austen I've tried. You're so spot on about people visiting other people's houses. I can't keep up. They're all just travelling to and fro to visit one another 🤣. There have been some funny and witty one liners but other than that it's going to each others houses!

What would you recommend?

• Heart
I love Jane Eyre. I read a lot of the Bronte sisters' work while at uni. I actually wrote my dissertation on love in Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights and the Tenant of Wildfell Hall.

But this is the first Austen I've tried. You're so spot on about people visiting other people's houses. I can't keep up. They're all just travelling to and fro to visit one another 🤣. There have been some funny and witty one liners but other than that it's going to each others houses!

What would you recommend?
brace yourself elle because i love classics and we’re about to get into my zone 🤣

firstly, avoid charles dickens. people will tell you to read him based on reputation alone. he got paid by the word and his characters are caricatures.

if you like the brontes, then i would strongly recommend wilkie collins. in particular no name, armadale and the moonstone. he writes great, and very gothic, mysteries.

also, anthony trollope. does what dickens is rumoured to do but much more fun and readable. the whole palliser chronicles are great but start with can you forgive her? and see what you think.

middlemarch is wonderful (imo) but a little dense to start with, try some other george elliot first. the mill on the floss and wives and daughters will give you a feel.

i find elizabeth gaskell hit and miss but north and south is a wonderful romantic read.

the age of innocence by edith wharton is one of the GREATEST books of all time. a masterpiece.

i am away from my actual bookshelf so will check for more later but hopefully that’s okay to start with!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
brace yourself elle because i love classics and we’re about to get into my zone 🤣

firstly, avoid charles dickens. people will tell you to read him based on reputation alone. he got paid by the word and his characters are caricatures.

if you like the brontes, then i would strongly recommend wilkie collins. in particular no name, armadale and the moonstone. he writes great, and very gothic, mysteries.

also, anthony trollope. does what dickens is rumoured to do but much more fun and readable. the whole palliser chronicles are great but start with can you forgive her? and see what you think.

middlemarch is wonderful (imo) but a little dense to start with, try some other george elliot first. the mill on the floss and wives and daughters will give you a feel.

i find elizabeth gaskell hit and miss but north and south is a wonderful romantic read.

the age of innocence by edith wharton is one of the GREATEST books of all time. a masterpiece.

i am away from my actual bookshelf so will check for me later but hopefully that’s okay to start with!
Thank you so much! This is really reassuring and I'm now feeling excited to explore some of these. I'm so fickle 🤣

• Heart
Just finished this. Really enjoyed. I think its my favourite of her novels. Very fast paced and engaging.

I remember only getting to chapter 9 of Jane Eyre in my A Levels, discovered my exam would be on it so attempted to watch the film an hour before my exam started 🤦‍♀️😂 obviously didn't have time to watch the whole film. The question was on a specific chapter of the book that was way past 9 😂 and I got an A for it - how I managed that was beyond me! Similarly, in university it came up again, I skim read it so hardly took a word of it in and ended up getting like 60+% in the exam.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I loved Jane Eyre but couldn’t stand Wuthering Heights or Tess of the D’Ubervilles. That’s about the extent of my knowledge of classics from my days of English lit.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.