Books #15 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I've finished Corrupt Bodies by Peter Everett on Audible today. It's about his time as Superintendent of Southwark Mourtary which is interesting.

I currently have a free trial of Audible but have found lots of books included, that I've not found on Borrowbox, that I'd like to listen to so might have to pay for the next month and power my way through as many as possible.

Reactions: 2
Just finished When You Disappeared by John Marrs. I really enjoy his writing style and love that each book feels completely different. WYD is a good twisty thriller that keeps you guessing but it lost a star for me as there were just too many twists and it felt so long. A solid 4/5 for me.
Sounds interesting, I love a thriller! I’ll add him to my list.
---

I’m currently reading ‘The Alperton Angels’ by Janice Hallett. I loved ‘The Appeal’ but wasn’t as keen on ‘The Twyford Code’. So far, enjoying this. Seems more like ‘The Appeal’. Anyone else read it?
Yes, I liked it but did get a little confused 😂 I had to re-read a few bits to understand the ending properly.
I felt the same as you, loved The Appeal but didn’t like Twyford Code so much, and liked Alperton Angels.
I think her books are a bit different to the norm and I like them.

Last edited:
I've hated the majority of 'classics' (by which I mean stuff published before about 1950) I've read.

The Woman in White? Turn of the Screw? Dull dull dull.

Even The Great Gatsby was a snooze.

The only ones I remember liking are 1984, which just sneaks into my pre-1950 cutoff, Mrs Dalloway, which I've heard lots of people say they don't like, and The Metamorphosis/No Exit which I group together as I read them both in my pretentious misanthrope phase.

Reactions: 1
I never liked any of the classics we had to read at school.

I remember in year 8 the teacher read Dickens’ Great Expectations to us each lesson for what seemed like years. God that was a bore. A lot of the girls ended up putting a Babysitters Club book inside the Dickens and pretending we were enthralled by Miss Havisham etc!

I have a soft spot for the Brontes because I live down the road from Haworth, so I know a lot about them.

I also hated The Great Gatsby.

My only real love that could be considered a classic is Dorothy Whipple. I’ve read a few of hers and enjoyed them.

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I have a subscription to Audible this month and am so confused by it. Any book I've searched for costs a credit and I've already used my one credit. I'm not sure if it's worth the money yet.

The only classic I enjoyed at school was Emma
That was due to the teacher's enthusiasm and absolute joy when reading it. I haven't read any of them on my own.

I have a subscription to Audible this month and am so confused by it. Any book I've searched for costs a credit and I've already used my one credit. I'm not sure if it's worth the money yet.
Depending on your subscription, you only get 1 credit a month. You can also access other audiobooks and podcasts but often the books aren’t new releases.

I finished All The Broken Places yesterday on audible. I loved it and found myself not wanting to put it down. It makes a huge difference on the narrator too.
However the ending was a let down, incredibly rushed, twee and not as satisfying as I’d hoped. Don’t let this put you off, the book otherwise is a great read

Started ‘The Last Thing She Told Me’, Linda Green, today. Anyone else read this? I think it was hugely popular when released.

Sorting through all my cupboards, getting ready to move, and I come across an old kindle I forgot I still had. Absolutely full of books. Mostly classics/thrillers and I seem to have Stephen Kings entire catalogue on there. Does anyone know if there’s a way I can transfer books kindle to kindle?

• Heart
For those on audible. If you try cancelling your membership, they offer you a 50% discount for 3 months 👍🏽

Reactions: 7
Sorting through all my cupboards, getting ready to move, and I come across an old kindle I forgot I still had. Absolutely full of books. Mostly classics/thrillers and I seem to have Stephen Kings entire catalogue on there. Does anyone know if there’s a way I can transfer books kindle to kindle?
Go to manage content and devices on amazon. You can select the books and then deliver then to the other device. That's the quickest way.

Otherwise if you search on the new device for a book you own it will let you download it. But that will be slow.

Didnt even realise we had a new thread 🤦‍♀️

Audible £2.99 sale looks pretty decent. Ive not been that impressed lately with the sales.

Question: do you keep a "book journal" or a book where you write favourite quotes?

I don't but I'm thinking of starting. I want to get rid of a few books from my collection and one of them has some amazing quotes (Other voices, other rooms by Capote). How would you deal with this situation? If a book was 2 stars but had some incredible passages? 🤔
I just have a file on my phone where I write my favourite quotes, not just book quotes but anything that draws my attention. I've been keeping it for at least six years.

the age of innocence by edith wharton is one of the GREATEST books of all time. a masterpiece.
Another vote for Edith Wharton here! The House of Mirth is also worth checking out. I studied American lit at uni so she came up a lot but luckily I always loved her books.

Also in the American classics genre Steinbeck is my absolute favourite, especially East of Eden which I think we’ve talked about in previous threads. Or for something British but not as old school as Jane Austin how about Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier?

I do love classics but have to be in the right kind of reading mood for them or they can be hard work! Interestingly I’ve never managed to get through a Charles Dickens so totally with you on him @LaBlonde!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Love Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Really great writing.

I actually don’t mind a bit of Dickens 😅 if you see his books as more like newspaper serials / almost like comics - they are very exaggerated characters. I enjoy the TV adaptations more though, as they’re less of a slog. BBC’s Bleak House was great and obviously the greatest adaptation of all time - Muppets Christmas Carol 🙌🏻

I studied literature at uni and never really got on with American literature for some reason. I don’t love a lot of the typical classics either. Absolutely hated Wuthering Heights 😅 but I will have to give some of the recommendations in this thread a go!

Not just with classics but I find any book that’s been massively hyped up either in the media or by people, I tend not to enjoy. Not on purpose like I’m trying to be cool or anything, I just find some books get a lot of money / promotion thrown at them for whatever reason but the quality of the writing just isn’t there for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I have finished book 3 of the mindf*ck series and I’m pretty invested! It also makes book 14 of the year (I set a goal of 12 books 😂).

Finished ‘so lucky’ today. I really enjoyed it. 4.5/5.

I’m not doing very well with my A-Z challenge. I keep picking the same letter over. Will complete Betty this week too.

Below is my A-Z so far. 14 books read. Will be 15 by Friday. Yet, in the A-Z I’ve actually only read 11. Going to make a rule that I have to read a letter not done next. Might even go through alphabetically, except when it’s a book club reading that can double up in my A-Z.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 7

I’m not doing very well with my A-Z challenge. I keep picking the same letter over. Will complete Betty this week too.

Below is my A-Z so far. 14 books read. Will be 15 by Friday. Yet, in the A-Z I’ve actually only read 11. Going to make a rule that I have to read a letter not done next. Might even go through alphabetically, except when it’s a book club reading that can double up in my A-Z.
I’ve got Shuggie Bain on my TBR pile, did you enjoy it?

Ah thanks for reminding my about the A-Z challenge! Realised I hadn’t put my last 8 books on it - annoying only 2 actually count. How have I read so many C books already this year?!

• Haha
I’ve got Shuggie Bain on my TBR pile, did you enjoy it?
I did enjoy it. It’s a hard read emotionally but I actually gave it 5/5. I listened to it twice on audio and read it once. I believe there is going to be a film (?) or maybe a drama made out of it. It feels odd saying it’s good because the content is hard. But the writing is and the subject are well done.

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.