Books #15 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ah thanks for reminding my about the A-Z challenge! Realised I hadn’t put my last 8 books on it - annoying only 2 actually count. How have I read so many C books already this year?!
I know. I’ve made my rule today. Can only read a letter I’ve not read until I’ve been through the alphabet at least once. ;)

Reactions: 1
I did enjoy it. It’s a hard read emotionally but I actually gave it 5/5. I listened to it twice on audio and read it once. I believe there is going to be a film (?) or maybe a drama made out of it. It feels odd saying it’s good because the content is hard. But the writing is and the subject are well done.
I loved Shuggie too. I listened on audio too and thought it was really well narrated.

One of my favourite books of 2021. Sadly for Shuggie I read Beartown in the same year 🙈

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I loved Shuggie too. I listened on audio too and thought it was really well narrated.

One of my favourite books of 2021. Sadly for Shuggie I read Beartown in the same year 🙈
I started beartown but I just couldn’t get into it, I reread the first few chapter at least three times before I gave up. I felt it wasn’t for me yet. And now I’ve already got two reads for B. I’m passing it over to next year.

Currently in work looking forward to racing home later to read Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine 🤣 I've definitely got my love of reading back.

Rebecca is also one of my favourite classics.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Love how active this thread has become with our new friendly bookworms. 📚

My reading mojo got up and left over the weekend. No reading at all

I am about to start Whisky from Small Glasses by Denzil Meyrick, it is the first book in an eleven book detective/thriller series that my mum recommended. My mum rarely lets me down with recommendations so I have high hopes. Has anyone read these books?

• Heart
Reactions: 19

I am about to start Whisky from Small Glasses by Denzil Meyrick, it is the first book in an eleven book detective/thriller series that my mum recommended. My mum rarely lets me down with recommendations so I have high hopes. Has anyone read these books?
I haven’t read them, but that sort of thing is right up my street so I’d love to know how you get on with it 🙂

Love Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. Really great writing.

I actually don’t mind a bit of Dickens 😅 if you see his books as more like newspaper serials / almost like comics - they are very exaggerated characters. I enjoy the TV adaptations more though, as they’re less of a slog. BBC’s Bleak House was great and obviously the greatest adaptation of all time - Muppets Christmas Carol 🙌🏻

I studied literature at uni and never really got on with American literature for some reason. I don’t love a lot of the typical classics either. Absolutely hated Wuthering Heights 😅 but I will have to give some of the recommendations in this thread a go!

Not just with classics but I find any book that’s been massively hyped up either in the media or by people, I tend not to enjoy. Not on purpose like I’m trying to be cool or anything, I just find some books get a lot of money / promotion thrown at them for whatever reason but the quality of the writing just isn’t there for me.
rebecca was the start of my post-school classic dip and I loved it too, CoHo reminds me a little bit of this.
This thread is a brilliant terrible influence on me. Been in bed with the lurgy all weekend so ventured out today for some tablets since feeling more human and hopefully not infective to the world. My local high street is a 5 minute walk and happens to have a Waterstones so I’m now home and all dosed up, and starting the new Janice Hallett. I’ve gone from reading hardly anything in a year, to speeding through the housemaid, buying KU and finishing 3 more books, and now with a beautiful hardback on my lap. You’re simply the best medicine I’ve had in two years. Bliss.

• Heart
Reactions: 12

Yes I have! I liked them. I read Whisky from Small Glasses in a newborn fog whilst feeding my youngest. (I think I read each page 3 times over - not because it wasnt good though!)

Reactions: 1
Didnt even realise we had a new thread 🤦‍♀️

Audible £2.99 sale looks pretty decent. Ive not been that impressed lately with the sales.
Just to let people know you can't get a refund on audible titles you have paid money for anymore! Refunds will only be for titles purchased with a credit.

Started in October 2022 apparently. I only found out the hard way yesterday, but amazon did honour the refund.

• Wow
Reactions: 2
I've given up on Maybe In Another Life by TJR. I can't take one more mention of a cinnamon bun.

I'm now reading The Walking People by Mary Beth Keane, I'm about 100 pages in. It hadn't gripped me as much as Ask Again, Yes (was a fave read last year) but I'm still enjoying it.

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Didn't realise we were on another thread o_O. I've decided to finish the Dirty Air Series by Lauren Asher (I love F1 and missing it lol) and read Collided over the weekend. 3/5, just felt very long winded for me in the end, a lot of unnecessary parts and toooo much slow burn, then started Wrecked last night, already a better plot 3 chapters in lol

---------

@slugella I have Maybe in Another Life on my TBR and love a cinnamon bun, am i going to start resenting them? 😅

---------

@slugella I have Maybe in Another Life on my TBR and love a cinnamon bun, am i going to start resenting them? 😅
Hahaha it's so odd, the character likes them and I guess it's sweet at first as it's a childhood memory but it's mentioned sooo many times. It's even called out in the goodreads reviews :LOL: I saw one saying they searched on their e reader and they are mentioned 80+ times lol. Tbf that isn't the only reason I gave up, I'm being brutal with dnf's recently I am clearly becoming hard to please 😂 some others here enjoyed it so I would still give it a go if you have it! :giggle:

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Didn't realise we were on another thread o_O. I've decided to finish the Dirty Air Series by Lauren Asher (I love F1 and missing it lol) and read Collided over the weekend. 3/5, just felt very long winded for me in the end, a lot of unnecessary parts and toooo much slow burn, then started Wrecked last night, already a better plot 3 chapters in lol
wait wait hold up.

am i just now learning that there are FORMULA 1 romance novels to go with my just learned about ice hockey romance novels?!!

are these books being written specifically for me and my needs?!

thank you, i am running immediately to amazon 🤣😘

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9

Oh no! I think I stole your mojo as after a v lacklustre start to the year for my reading I managed to finish one and raced through another over the weekend 😅 Hopefully it picks up again.

@HoGi thanks for the audible refund tip, that's really useful to know. I don't try to get refunds often, but every now and then I just hate the narrator's voice so just can't listen any more 🙈

• Haha
Reactions: 4
wait wait hold up.

am i just now learning that there are FORMULA 1 romance novels to go with my just learned about ice hockey romance novels?!!

are these books being written specifically for me and my needs?!

thank you, i am running immediately to amazon 🤣😘
They’re also on kindle unlimited if you have it 😁

• Heart
Just to let people know you can't get a refund on audible titles you have paid money for anymore! Refunds will only be for titles purchased with a credit.

Started in October 2022 apparently. I only found out the hard way yesterday, but amazon did honour the refund.
I dont think Ive ever got a refund on an audible book before :eek: but good to know thanks.

Edit - I think maybe I returned one book when it went on a 99p deal on ebook.

OK, guys I finished P&P and now I want to read something trashy, sort of mindless but at the same time also Very Good and memorable. Any recommendations for this niche request????

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.