Aldi and Lidl

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I prefer Aldi over Lidl, but I will say Lidl's fresh bakery blueberry muffins are the best ones I've ever had!
We're in the habit of eating fruit every day now so we can get through it before it goes off but Aldi avocados man! Either over or under ripe, so annoying. Potatoes don't last long either.
Aldi's knock-off Oreo ice cream sandwiches are a summer staple for us, along with the garlic & herb burger sauce, which really does taste like the Dominos one, love it.
Aldi's Rhubarb & Ginger gin is a bit weak BUT their Peach & Orange Blossom gin is so delicious!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Aldi nuttoka and skin on fries frozen are good.
Aldi lagers are good.
Aldi fresh dirty fries.
Kids like aldi fanta 1.35 for 6 cans.

Reactions: 6
I went in one day last year (Aldi) and there was a queue forming in the centre aisle so I joined, not knowing what the queue was for. I went home with an electric outdoor heater which was half price. I got the second last one. It’s good for adding warmth to the gazebo when the sides are on.

My gran says that after the war they did the same, joined queues without knowing what was being sold in the shop!

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 32
Aldi Southern Fried Chicken mini fillets are as good as if not better than KFC. Great in their seeded brioche burger bun with mayo/lettuce.
Avoid their cheaper goujons though, awful.
The Lidl Southern Fried Chicken mini fillets are not so good, too much coating, and with an overpowering curry powder type taste.
Lidl's packs of frozen berries are better than the Aldi ones, which are always squashed and crushed.
I just bought these in Aldi on your recommendation - can’t wait to try with iceberg in the brioche seeded bun and mayo.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Aldi truffle salami and the rosemary crackers with scalloped edges are lovely.

they used to do a little cream cheese roulade thing with smoked salmon pate but they discontinued it. Also two xmasses ago they did these mini cheese soufflé party bites that were better than Waitrose’s.

Reactions: 3
We're not near an Aldi so we hardly ever go there. I like the middle aisle for baby things when we have been, though

We went to Lidl today cos we passed and had fofgot a few things from our Asda shop. We got some stuff from the bakery, 2 cookies, a bun & the jaffa donut. We had the cookies and they were unreal! My mum swears by the cheese twists from Lidl, she's obsessed 🤣 but we had a walk round and we decided next week instead of going the Asda for our food shop we're gonna go to Lidl instead! Cos it did look good

Reactions: 11
We're not near an Aldi so we hardly ever go there. I like the middle aisle for baby things when we have been, though

We went to Lidl today cos we passed and had fofgot a few things from our Asda shop. We got some stuff from the bakery, 2 cookies, a bun & the jaffa donut. We had the cookies and they were unreal! My mum swears by the cheese twists from Lidl, she's obsessed 🤣 but we had a walk round and we decided next week instead of going the Asda for our food shop we're gonna go to Lidl instead! Cos it did look good
Since lock down I have switched to doing the bulk of my shopping at Aldi. There one or two branded things I nip into asda for. Going to a smallish Aldi and getting everything in a short time for sometimes half the price is far less stressful than schlepping round a huge asda for an hour at least, getting to the tills and remembering something I’ve forgotten.

Reactions: 6
How about a thread for these two?

Interested to try the mochi in Aldi next week, I wonder if some will be dairy free like the little moons brand and if little moons are making them for Aldi? The coconut ones don't seem to be covered in desiccated coconut unlike little moons, I'd pay 20% more for that nevermind the 20% discount Aldi ones are selling for 🙏

View attachment 566232
These ones are dairy free. Haven't been to Aldi for so long, find Aldi better for vegan bits

Attachments

Reactions: 2
Since lock down I have switched to doing the bulk of my shopping at Aldi. There one or two branded things I nip into asda for. Going to a smallish Aldi and getting everything in a short time for sometimes half the price is far less stressful than schlepping round a huge asda for an hour at least, getting to the tills and remembering something I’ve forgotten.
Same here, been going to Aldi for most of our shopping for about 3 years now, can get most of what we need, sometimes nip to Morrison's, Home Bargains or Lidl for other things.
Prior to this we spent stupid money thinking that Waitrose M&S etc were so much better, they're not.
I worked in retail & that "roast in the bag whole chicken" that they sell in Asda comes from exactly the same place as the one sold & branded more expensively in M&S.
Anyhoo, I'd say that for a few quid more Aldi is better than Lidl, quality wise.
Lidl's bakery is good though.

Reactions: 9
Love Aldi! The meat free burgers are amazing, the garlic & herb dip the same as Dominoes tastes the exact same! Love all the Aldi crisps, Leo lions actually better then Percy pigs.
Nahhh i really thought it didn’t taste the same at all. I was disappointed!

Reactions: 2
Aldi truffle salami and the rosemary crackers with scalloped edges are lovely.

they used to do a little cream cheese roulade thing with smoked salmon pate but they discontinued it. Also two xmasses ago they did these mini cheese soufflé party bites that were better than Waitrose’s.
I agree about the crackers!

Reactions: 4
I used to work at a retailers head office and get sent on factory visits. The sausage rolls in M&S were exactly the same product as Lidl. I then moved to work for a food manufacturer and the buying power Aldi and Lidl have is just immense.

Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.