Aldi and Lidl

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Love this thread - yay!! Lidl’s Deli Coleslaw is really nice - a lot of coleslaws are too creamy and yuck. Theirs is like homemade. I have to admit me and my teens love Lidl’s Marbella Glow fake tan too - I use the Medium shade and it’s nice and golden. Great price and at the rate we go through the stuff - it would want to be.
Thank you for promoting this thread in the bunga! ❤

I prefer Lidl, specially their mixed salads. I live 2 min from Spar, so I tend to get my salads on the way home. They put the close date ones on sale everyday, since I will eat them for dinner, I save a lot.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
The Lidl chocolate chip cookies from the bakery bit are amazing, and they used to do great salted caramel cornettos that were so much better than the real thing.

I think they have different branding outside of Scotland, but up here Aldi does Findlay crisps that are the closest thing I've found to Brannigans (which no one seems to sell anymore)

Reactions: 7
I bought Lacura Miracle Cream - a dupe for Elizabeth Arden Eight Hour Cream which retails at €30 - the Aldi one was €5 - it was so good but when I tried to get it again, I couldn’t find it, so I bought it on Amazon for €11, I was that desperate to get my hands on it!

• Heart
The Lidl chocolate chip cookies from the bakery bit are amazing, and they used to do great salted caramel cornettos that were so much better than the real thing.

I think they have different branding outside of Scotland, but up here Aldi does Findlay crisps that are the closest thing I've found to Brannigans (which no one seems to sell anymore)
The brownies and cinnamon buns from the Lidl bakery are so good.

The Findlay crisps are great!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I go to Aldi about an hour or so before it closes and quite often I’m the only customer in.

I like the chicken thigh fillets,
Tempura chicken mini fillets
Mars/Snickers/Toffee Crisp dupes
Soup veg
Mozzarella
Mature Cheddar
Rainbow salad
Prawn cocktails
The Chevalier brandy
The fake fever tree tins
The chilli and ginger gin by Eden mill

Reactions: 4
I have been in an aldi once, and it traumatised me.. so many people, so much tat in the middle, and I genuinely was concerned my shopping was going through the window at the end of the tills.

We’ve been having a weekly delivery (used to be tesco, now ocado) for 4/5 years now, and I would love to spend less but I just can’t bring myself to do it.

Hoping this thread might convince me...
I'm with you Giggling. The first time I went in I was appalled at the jumble sale in the middle of the aisles. Since then they have upped their game and tidied up...but it's not great. I just go in for my favourite bits and do my main shop elsewhere.
However, they do some great things at Christmas, preserves, Stollen, fancy biscuits etc . Yum!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Aldi beauty products are great. I’m using a pineapple serum which makes my skin so glowy and smooth. It’s a copy of The Glow recipe which is much more pricey (I paid £4.50).

Their chocolate is so nice too, especially the white chocolate in the cardboard box. The date on the fruit/veg is short but it’s cheaper so can’t really complain. At least it makes you eat it!

• Heart
I tend to do a big shop in Morrisons every fortnight then a smaller top up shop in Aldi or Lidl the week in between. I tend to prefer Aldi to Lidl for most things especially as my local Lidl often has bizarrely empty shelves (even pre pandemic).

Lidl do great cooked meats as someone above has said, I love their smoked turkey or smoked chicken and their smoked cheese. I've also just discovered their pink grapefruit gin in a tin for only 89p 👍

In Aldi I like their Greek yoghurt, sweet potato pakora and falafels, chilli lime and coconut sliced chicken, cappuccino and latte sachets, their knock off Twix and Mars (Jive and Titan bars), knock off Biscoff spread and their Mediterranean light tonic. Also love the super 6 fruit and veg offers. The Specially selected sourdough pizzas are fab and much nicer than Pizza Express (actually Lidl posh pizzas are also fab, I suspect they're made at the same factory as the flavours are similar). Their Rose Glow skin tonic is a great dupe of the equivalent Pixi one which is £18. Aldi are buggers for discontinuing things though, eg I was in love with the rhubarb tonic water but it's just been discontinued, and they used to do these fab mini goat cheese pearls that had a longer shelf life than a normal slab of goat cheese and were great for pimping up pizzas but they only stocked them for a short while.

Aldi beauty products are great. I’m using a pineapple serum which makes my skin so glowy and smooth. It’s a copy of The Glow recipe which is much more pricey (I paid £4.50).

Their chocolate is so nice too, especially the white chocolate in the cardboard box. The date on the fruit/veg is short but it’s cheaper so can’t really complain. At least it makes you eat it!
I love their skin products too - I haven’t tried the pineapple serum but I’ll look out for it. Love their candles too as I love Lidl’s as well.

I tend to do a big shop in Morrisons every fortnight then a smaller top up shop in Aldi or Lidl the week in between. I tend to prefer Aldi to Lidl for most things especially as my local Lidl often has bizarrely empty shelves (even pre pandemic).

Lidl do great cooked meats as someone above has said, I love their smoked turkey or smoked chicken and their smoked cheese. I've also just discovered their pink grapefruit gin in a tin for only 89p 👍

In Aldi I like their Greek yoghurt, sweet potato pakora and falafels, chilli lime and coconut sliced chicken, cappuccino and latte sachets, their knock off Twix and Mars (Jive and Titan bars), knock off Biscoff spread and their Mediterranean light tonic. Also love the super 6 fruit and veg offers. The Specially selected sourdough pizzas are fab and much nicer than Pizza Express (actually Lidl posh pizzas are also fab, I suspect they're made at the same factory as the flavours are similar). Their Rose Glow skin tonic is a great dupe of the equivalent Pixi one which is £18. Aldi are buggers for discontinuing things though, eg I was in love with the rhubarb tonic water but it's just been discontinued, and they used to do these fab mini goat cheese pearls that had a longer shelf life than a normal slab of goat cheese and were great for pimping up pizzas but they only stocked them for a short while.
They don’t do the Rose Glow skin tonic any more - so annoying - but I am liking the Acacia Collagen Skin Tonic.

• Heart
I was converted to the joys of Aldi last March when it was the only supermarket in a 5 mile radius that had loo rolls, eggs and pasta!

A lot of the frozen food (especially the fish and chicken burgers mentioned) is good, ditto most of the fresh meat - ours often has a date of 4-6 days hence on it whereas in our local Tesco and Asda you don't get much more than 3 days ahead. Also love a lot of the bread and rolls, seeded flatbreads are a fave of ours. Oh, and the Washing up liquid (one in the silver bottle) is excellent.

The worst thing in Aldi is the potatoes, the ones I buy are always full of bruises and black bits.

I live quite near a Lidl, but it's not been done up since the 1990s so it looks like the freezer shops of my youth 😂 and is a depressing experience (albeit the food is really good). It's mostly the same stuff I like in Lidl but a few things I prefer from there to the Aldi versions - the Azera style coffee is better from Lidl. Ditto racks of BBQ ribs.

Another fave from Lidl are the Quaver type crisps. Even better if you keep them in the fridge (sounds odd but trust me it works!)

When I go and stay with my partner, he lives near a huge new Aldi and a shiny newly refurbished Lidl too (both of which have loads of products I never see in my tatty ones at home!)

• Heart
How about a thread for these two?

Interested to try the mochi in Aldi next week, I wonder if some will be dairy free like the little moons brand and if little moons are making them for Aldi? The coconut ones don't seem to be covered in desiccated coconut unlike little moons, I'd pay 20% more for that nevermind the 20% discount Aldi ones are selling for 🙏

View attachment 566232
You are a genius @Yel! I repeat - A GENIUS. Soooo clever. ;)

• Heart
I remember visiting Aldi when in holiday in Germany and was happy they eventually became a local for me in London.
I only buy a handful of food items from Aldi (Ribeye steak being the must buy everytime) but will definitely be trying your suggestions today.

I personally like the middle aisle and always buy something and I have to admit I managed to get my hands on the infamous egg chair so I'll always be a happy Aldi shopper! 🤗

• Heart
  • Haha
All my gym stuff is either from Aldi or Lidl depending who has them at the time.
Aldi Special Selected Infusions are good especially the Lemon Grass and Ginger ones but they have become scarce recently.
Another vote for the Sourdough Pizza. Never had a problem with their frozen berries, never crushed and I buy 2 bags each week but the worst crushed thing is the seeded bread. I have bought 3 and every one has had the crusts broken off and they were all bought different weeks so not the same crushed delivery.
A couple of months ago Aldi had some packs of ready mashed Avocado which were great as they were ready ripe but not seen them for a while now.

Reactions: 5
Thought of something else which is great from Aldi, the pizza bases they sell pre rolled in the chilled section, just unroll and top. Really really good, decent size and so much better than most shop bought pizzas even the expensive ones, and the base is only 85p.

Reactions: 10
I used to use Aldi Lacura caffeine eye gel. It was excellent but I think they stopped doing it. That’s the only thing with Aldi they tend to discontinue stuff a lot.
I used to love that. It was absolutely fantastic. I was gutted when it was discontinued. I hate that they never give any warning so you can't even stock up.

I just bought that pineapple serum yesterday! I've only used it once so can't comment much, but it smells beautiful! I also bought a day cram with SPF in which is lovely too!

Reactions: 2
I used to love that. It was absolutely fantastic. I was gutted when it was discontinued. I hate that never give any warning so you can't even stock up.
It was fab! The best eye gel I’ve ever used. You didn’t even need to put it in the fridge as it always went on cold.

• Sad
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.