Aldi and Lidl

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Some Aldis do click and collect now but you do need to pay a fiver for it. I go round all the shops but find somethings better at Lidl and Aldi than M&S and vice versa.

I do get a weekly shop from Tesco though as the pandemic has made me even less likely to want to be around people. I wish we had Ocado in Scotland!
Interesting. I didn't know you guys didn't have Ocado. I thought they were everywhere. Are you not able to online shop Ocado either? At all?

Reactions: 1
I really rate the Aldi and Lidl gin, there’s a mango and passion fruit one that’s 👌 but I haven’t actually been in the stores for months now, I always found the fresh produce and meat turned really quickly

Reactions: 3
In Aldi the 70% buttons are the best new thing recently, they seem to have been on offer for 99p for 3 weeks now. Very thin and perfect for dark chocolate!

View attachment 566873
I need those in my basket. Whatever happened the Monsur Roth dark choc covered almonds? I’m almost glad they’re gone - my addiction was concerning.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

Yel

Monsur Roth dark choc covered almonds?
Ah boo I've never had those and they sound perfect!

If you venture into Waitrose I wouldn't recommend the deliciously Ella chocolate almonds, not only does the 80p off advertised on the shelf not happen but they're pretty lackluster:(

I have been in an aldi once, and it traumatised me.. so many people, so much tat in the middle, and I genuinely was concerned my shopping was going through the window at the end of the tills.

We’ve been having a weekly delivery (used to be tesco, now ocado) for 4/5 years now, and I would love to spend less but I just can’t bring myself to do it.

Hoping this thread might convince me...

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Lidl own milk chocolate used to be 30p but think it's about 45p now is amazinnnggggg!!!

I have been in an aldi once, and it traumatised me.. so many people, so much tat in the middle, and I genuinely was concerned my shopping was going through the window at the end of the tills.

We’ve been having a weekly delivery (used to be tesco, now ocado) for 4/5 years now, and I would love to spend less but I just can’t bring myself to do it.

I dont spend less. I spend more cause I get my weekly order delivered then its 'Ill just pop to Aldi for a few bits' £30 later....

I do often go to Lidl for there fresh cooked meats. They are by far the best quality imo and much cheaper than say Tesco.

My shopping bill is up to about £150 a week not counting my 6 - 8 weekly Costco trips. I try not to think about it cause its horrifying.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Aldis dupe of Malibu is called coco bay. I don’t really rate it. Would much rather pay 12 for the real Malibu.

I dont spend less. I spend more cause I get my weekly order delivered then its 'Ill just pop to Aldi for a few bits' £30 later....

I do often go to Lidl for there fresh cooked meats. They are by far the best quality imo and much cheaper than say Tesco.

My shopping bill is up to about £150 a week not counting my 6 - 8 weekly Costco trips. I try not to think about it cause its horrifying.
Oh yes lidl cooked meats are great! I also watched one of those behind the scenes programmes and the lidl Parma ham and the Tesco finest were the exact same meat but like £2 difference per packet. Hula hoops are also exactly the same as the lidl version, they showed that too and also showed when a pack of hula hoops has accidentally been found in the lidl own brand multipack.

Reactions: 9
I tend to go to Lidl every couple of weeks or so. I like their mayonnaise ( we eat loads of it) and I find their fresh meat usually has a decent use by date, buy only if the shelves have been restocked. It annoys me that they seem to wait until they are completely empty before being refilled so sometimes half the shopping is unavailable.
Often if I find a nice product, it's only there once and I never see it again .

Not really tried Aldi. The aldi's in the nearby towns are all near busy junctions and the traffic puts me off, as it is easier to shop elsewhere.

I have a Lidl literally about 5 min walk away yet I hardly go! I do love their dark choc covered rice cakes though, they dont always have them so when I see them I grab about 6 packs. I like that they usually have Ben&Jerry's on offer too!

I shop at Lidl for my main shop with a top up shop at Waitrose. That’s my main bugbear about Lidl, I can’t get everything I need in one shop. Also, as a previous poster has said, I find the fruit and veg has a really short life - same in Aldi

Reactions: 4

Lockdown ruined the shopping budget - all family members opening and closing the fridge non-stop, pizzas and ice-cream eaten outside of meal times, sandwiches made between meals and chocolate, sweets, biscuits, crisps became empty wrappers on countertops. Non-stop grocery shopping and escalated expenditure. Nothing left for luxuries even though no hairdressers, ubers, mani-pedis - still no funds left due to boredom eating. I legit couldn’t wait for school to restart properly. Horrifying is the word - you said it.

Yes - the packing part is not for the faint-hearted!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I love the frozen sausage patties from Aldi, we make DIY maccies breakfast muffins with them yum! also the frozen fish burgers are delish, available in tempura batter, southern fried coating or buttermilk batter on a roll with crisp lettuce and tartar sauce or mayo.....yum! also the big bags of apricots are the best value around and are lovely, we go through a fair few for pack ups and the Aldi ones are a fave and less than half the cost of supermarkets for them
I could have written this myself! Add on the aldi mini pepperamis and the chunks of cooked ham and that’s my weekly shop 😂

• Heart
Love Aldi! The meat free burgers are amazing, the garlic & herb dip the same as Dominoes tastes the exact same! Love all the Aldi crisps, Leo lions actually better then Percy pigs.

Reactions: 6
Lockdown ruined the shopping budget - all family members opening and closing the fridge non-stop, pizzas and ice-cream eaten outside of meal times, sandwiches made between meals and chocolate, sweets, biscuits, crisps became empty wrappers on countertops. Non-stop grocery shopping and escalated expenditure. Nothing left for luxuries even though no hairdressers, ubers, mani-pedis - still no funds left due to boredom eating. I legit couldn’t wait for school to restart properly. Horrifying is the word - you said it.
I could have written this myself! Its all the fruit and yogurt here. Packets of cooked ham and cooked chicken. Pepperamis etc. Ive honestly never felt more privileged that I can do this for my kids and that we were both working fully through the full pandemic and got full wages. So grateful.

Its why all the moaners and groaners about the free meal vouchers did my head in cause I could see how much my kids were eating and I cant imagine the panic Id feel if I wasnt in a position to keep filling the fridge or feel reliant on a system where I knew people were judging the heck out of me.

Wont be long until the summer holidays eh, back to 20 billion meals and snacks a day.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I used to use Aldi Lacura caffeine eye gel. It was excellent but I think they stopped doing it. That’s the only thing with Aldi they tend to discontinue stuff a lot.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I really rate the Aldi and Lidl gin, there’s a mango and passion fruit one that’s 👌 but I haven’t actually been in the stores for months now, I always found the fresh produce and meat turned really quickly
I tried the rhubarb and ginger gin from Aldi but it's not as nice as Edinburgh Gin company!
I buy nut and chocolate bars, good quality chocolate bars, mixed salads (I can do healthy too 😁). Used to love their moussaka but can't see it any more!
Meat and veg is good. They do a half beef / half pork mince which is fab for lasagne or a spag bol.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.