Zoe Sugg #27 New year same boring Zzzoella

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Ok so I haven’t read this thread yet so it’s possible I’m in the minority here.

I agree with them removing her from the syllabus, not offended by any of her content, she could say she pleasures herself with milky moo ice pops and you just know she uses the vanilla variety.
But she should never have been on the syllabus anyway, it’s time they switched it up, as an influencer she’s dated in every aspect.

speaking of sexual pleasure this must be a wet dream for her... so to speak 🤷‍♀️
Couldn’t pay for this kind of exposure.

alfie will be getting lucky tonight,

she might stay up until 9.30 and let him have the creme egg she’s been saving in the fridge for The Masked Singer this weekend.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 45
I do think the media studies thing was blown out of the water a bit. I also find it really suspicious as I did a big essay for my media studies coursework, it was on the construction of the vlogger with a focus on Zoe. I worked my absolute arse off with it and ended up getting, IIRC, full marks - my lecturer was so pleased with me. I genuinely spent ages last night trying to work out if my essay was used somewhere because i submitted my essay, trotted off to uni and then she popped up on the curriculum 🧐 🤣 I agree @Oohthedrama influencers and bloggers like Zoe are pretty dated nowadays but compared to what I was being asked to write about when I was doing my coursework (can’t remember what they were asking us to focus on but think it was radio drama or newspaper advertisements) it’s practically modern, I jumped at the chance. So as irrelevant as Zoe is at least she’s more relevant to the kids of today. 😭

Reactions: 7
Haven’t posted in months as ZOELLA has been a boring fart but she is such a liar, if she doesn’t cater to 16 and under then why the does she post her videos right after school finishes? All the adults she claims her content is for are still working.

Also her diva moment at being called Zoella. Get a grip, just because people only remember your brand when it actually meant something.

Reactions: 19
Id say websites like Sheerluxe are aiming at 30yr olds NOT the Zoella website.
I think the website and brand needs a major rebrand and restructuring. They are trying to write and target articles and Instagram posts at 30yr olds but, at least to me, the branding screams teenager. Swirly fonts and glittering stars ain't it.

She's spoken really well about this topic today and personally I think she should run with it.

Reactions: 10
The thing for me is (and had probably been mentioned by others) is that Zoe and the Zoella name and brand will always be associated with tween content. If she truly wanted to do a massive rebrand and produce content for site similar to Sheerluxe and bustle then a name change should of been considered. I think if she had some actual management and a person (or team) to advise her rather than just enabling yes men then that might actually happen. By all means keep Zoella and make a fun place for young girls but perhaps the more adult content deserves its own space.

Reactions: 9
Why is she SO offended at being called Zoella? That was literally her online persona for YEARS and is what made her famous/brought her success. That’s such a stupid part of the article to focus on.

Also, why is she making such a big deal out of not being asked to be part of a GCSE syllabus. This isn’t a paid ad or spon, they don’t have to ask her or get her permission. Does AQA write to classic authors/their family to get permission to talk about their books in English? 🤦🏼‍♀️

i completely agree with the majority of what she’s saying, but some of what she’s focusing on is completely ridiculous.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 41
I agree with most people here that overall, her message is strong and I'm really impressed. 16 year olds should absolutely be taught about female masturbation whether her content as aimed at them or not, and the media shaming her for posting about it is 100% wrong.

However, my eyes roll back into my head so hard when she insists her demographic is 25-30 year olds. It just isn't and you know it? Why would you bring out a (crappy) advent calendar literally aimed at 10 year olds if that was your demographic? Why would you write several YA books? Why would you write simple books on how to go for a walk? She wouldn't buy any of those products herself, they are NOT aimed at her age, so making a point that she's 30 means nothing.

I get that she WANTS that to be her demographic, because it is far cooler than to essentially be a children's entertainer. But you can't then cash in on the kids because it's where the money's at, then complain when people describe you as such just because you write a few more mature articles.

Her niche was being the fashionable older sister figure, who parents liked because she produced slightly more wholesome content. That's how she become famous. She literally would describe herself as such. She's allowed to try and change her brand, but until her products match up to that, she can't complain.

Reactions: 38
Totally agree with the sentiment and the message about female pleasure but I’m also not entirely sure what she’s upset about exactly? (the part about female pleasure was an afterthought on her stories, not the main thing she was complaining about).

They’re just reporting that her content has been removed from the exam due to the vibrator post. Were any of the articles actually criticising her for making more adult content?

Also I know she wants to not be known as having a teen audience, so maybe stop writing books for a teen audience?
Everything in this post is spot on. Her rage isn’t about female pleasure, those posts came after when her team had obviously told her what else to say. Her rage was because she was called Zoella and was dropped from exam questions.

Who is the YA book aimed at? Are you a young adult at 35?

• Haha
Reactions: 23
Zoe being mad at being called Zoella is like Daniel Radcliffe being mad at being called Harry Potter

• Haha
Reactions: 44
Zoe is literally loving this - couldn’t have paid for better PR!!

Zoe being mad at being called Zoella is like Daniel Radcliffe being mad at being called Harry Potter
I don’t get why people get so mad at the thing that made them! Why would you want to burn your own house down?!
Taylor Swift said she will always play Love Story in some way whatever because she knows that song was massive for her career - not denying it even though she is older. Whereas Zoe wants to get far away from Zoella and all it was.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I think the Zoella-brand will ALWAYS be associated with teenage audiences. Zoe might have become older and think that she's distanced herself from the Zoella-brand, but she hasn't. Plus the fact that all the stuff she's selling is still for teenagers, right down to her latest book.

People will continue to think Zoe Sugg = Zoella-brand forever, because that how she was known. So even is Zoe Sugg the business person wants to do one thing and Zoella the brand wants to do another, those things will always be confused for all being Zoe Sugg.

I fully agree with her that women masturbating should be normalized and the article in itself is not a problem. It's the mixed message of the Zoella website, which is something we have discussed here before. Remember the TTC-article that came soon after the beginners guide to self pleasure? It makes NO SENSE. Most women in their mid to late 20s have already tried pleasuring themselves and don't need a beginners guide..

Reactions: 9
Who is the YA book aimed at? Are you a young adult at 35?
YA is geared towards teenagers. Obviously, anyone can read it, but a YA book is by definition the story of a teenage character and while it can include beautiful, literary language, it is aimed towards a teenage audience.

I agree with what she's saying about normalizing female pleasure but like it's been said, her demographic is NOT 25-35. I've previously asked on this thread who her audience is supposed to be. Her website included that "beginner's guide to masturbation". Was that supposed to be for 25 year-olds? Most of us were already intermediate at that age haha. The tone of the articles also always skews much younger. Not to mention the silly "parlour games" and "15 things to do for halloween" stuff.

Reactions: 11
Personally, I think she made a mistake of distancing herself from the 'Zoella' brand. As mentioned earlier, she will always be the first thing people think of when they hear Zoella. The main issue is she is surrounded by yes-men rather than a team that is going to tell her what's best and take charge of things. Zoella (brand) could have flourished and done so much better as time went on if Zoe cared enough. The lack of interest in her own brand and lack of change over the years is what is leading to the randomness that Zoella has become.

We, as a thread, could probably make better business decisions than her employees a.k.a. the most obsequious people ever.

Reactions: 10
What if Gleam have given the press this story to put her back in the spotlight and advertise her change in direction?

Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.