Zoe Sugg #27 New year same boring Zzzoella

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I also agree with what she’s saying on her stories, obviously female masturbation should be a normalised thing, in fact the vast majority of 16 year olds will know what it is.

however, like another poster said,you cant switch up your content all of a sudden when before this, she was known for having a large teen following. I get she says her audience is “25-30” 👀👀, but you cant switch it up with no transition. If she wants her target age to be 25-30, then She should probably stop selling products/ books aimed at a teenage audience.

personally, I don’t see the need for her to be removed from the school curriculum over it.

Reactions: 22
I 100% agree with what she's saying on her stories. I'm actually quite surprised she's been very vocal and firm on her position. You would usually expect her to be quite passive and not so strongly opinionated
Well done Zoe👏👏

Reactions: 48
Just jumped on this thread to see what the response was and couldn’t agree more! Think she responded really well.
Yessss me too! Well done Zoe!!! She’s finally done something that reminds me how good she CAN be! This is the most energetic, passionate thing I’ve seen her do on social media for ages (and I know it’s her responding to direct negativity) but I think we need more of this!!! Instead of hiding away. Imagine how vocal and informative she could be if she spoke up more like this! 👏🏼👏🏼

Reactions: 43
I think her initial point about not even being aware that Zoella had been picked to be studied is the main problem, she probably doesn’t feel that she had any responsibility to produce ‘appropriate’ (not that I think it’s a inappropriate or a bad thing for teenagers to have more open discussion regarding sex and female pleasure, but from an overprotective parental view I mean) content and so ultimately why would they avoid talking about vibrators etc when they’ve now clearly shifted their target audience.

Reactions: 12
Oh please who is she trying to kid? she does not make content for 30yr olds and her products are deffo not aimed at 25-30 yr olds. You cant just upload a few adult articles and then claim your website is for adults! What about those pathetic '20 things to do' articles or fav Xmas films, 'how to make cornflake cakes' and don't get me started about the articles in her cordially invited book! Yes Zoe you are a 30 YEAR OLD WOMAN so maybe you should try acting like one!

• Heart
Reactions: 59
I agree with what Zoe said too. I know a lot of youtubers struggled with moving to an older audience but mainly because of media. Even if she had most of 12 years old watching her at her prime that was ages ago and they are adults or almost adults now so I don't see a problem with her posting whatever she wants. I'm glad she's speaking up as I didn't expect her to.

Reactions: 14
This is such a golden opportunity for her to rebrand very publicly, even to a new audience. I really hope she takes it! She’s off to a good start!

Reactions: 23
I think she’s right to defend the article but we’ve always said on here that the website has no idea who their target demographic is. Their posts are all over the place with content, not to mention the writing style is very basic and childish! If she’s going to die on this hill saying it’s a mature website for adults to talk about being a woman then they need to really work on their voice and style on there. Also who’s going to Zoella.com for tips on adoption and sex toys? It’s just not a place you’d look to as an actual adult - she’s acting like they’re a women’s bible on there when in fact it is actually probably teenagers reading it lol

Reactions: 33
The website is truly awful though.. and in places really quite insulting (the multiple grazing board posts for example)
It’s massive rip off of bustle who also posted a sex toy article a month earlier and actually look and feel like the sort of place an adult would go.

Reactions: 15
Oh please who is she trying to kid? she does not make content for 30yr olds and her products are deffo not aimed at 25-30 yr olds. You cant just upload a few adult articles and then claim your website is for adults! What about those pathetic '20 things to do' articles or fav Xmas films, 'how to make cornflake cakes' and don't get me started about the articles in her cordially invited book! Yes Zoe you are a 30 YEAR OLD WOMAN so maybe you should try acting like one!
100% agreed 🙌 I get that on one hand it's great that she's making a point that stuff like this should be spoken about openly and not hidden away. But come on, it's Zoe 🤷🏼‍♀️ She's never once stated what her target demographic is and I'm pretty sure she's not aware of it either - the website, cordially invited and maybe even the magpie society have shown that she's all over the place in terms of who she wants to cater to, so I'm sorry but I think she's full of tit. You can't come out with a few adult articles and suddenly claim your content is for adults when the media come for you, it just doesn't make sense

Reactions: 24
I think she considers her demographic to be 25-30 because a lot of her OG subscribers still watch her vlogs. I am 31 and still watch her vlogs because I like to get in bed after a long day at work and just watch something easy. But, I wouldnt say I am a 'customer' of her brand. I would never purchase one of her products or read her blog because I find them quite childish. Her past zoella products IMO were branded and packaged quite child like and as others have said, her blog posts and books also appear quite childish. Why would a 25-30 YO want to read a book that tells you had to make cornflakes cakes or a blog that tells you the top 5 Xmas films?! They wouldn't. I think she needs to distinguish the age of her youtube viewer Vs the age of her 'customer'.

Reactions: 28
I don't think anyone should be expecting a grown woman to make content exclusively for kids anymore. It's obvious she's trying to get away from that and no one is letting her. She didn't ask to be put in the curriculum, much like she never MADE anyone look at sex toy reviews. But ultimately she's right. She isn't directly responsible for it, and more should be taught about female pleasure. When I was at school it was very much a 'sex is for men to enjoy' thing and women just had to comply (it's hard to believe I'm only 25 sometimes) but we were rarely taught that the enjoyment should be mutual. I do agree with people here also, the products she makes are not geared towards this new target audience but I imagine it is very hard to shed the teen friendly image. Let's take Miley Cyrus as an example. Grew up on Disney and when she decided to shed that image and become her real self everyone was in up-roar because they assumed she had this 'responsibility' because she was a teen icon ONCE. I think Zoe was hoping her followers would grow with her, she does talk about things now that are more 'grown up', such as the smear test. I don't particularly like the girl, but I like this new prospect of her producing more mature content and I hope she sticks with it because I think sometimes young women need it and need someone to be real and honest.

Reactions: 23
But she COULD create that site she wishes she had as a teen. Those magazines Zoe and many of us read at 14/15 don’t even exist anymore. But she doesn’t even hover between the content (layouts and general aesthetic) appropriate for people her age and younger girls content. It’s just two extremes and that’s the issue.

Reactions: 10
Good for her!! I respect what she did and what she's saying?!! Like many of you are saying I like this Zoe!!! #girlpowery'all 🤣🤣

Reactions: 9
When it comes to making money, her target audience are teenagers. When it comes to personal brand, she wants an older audience. She needs to make up her mind.

Her website is just an attempt to change up her brand but the truth is that there are other talented, mature women writing the articles. Zoe is just taking credit for it.

Reactions: 32
How on earth has she got the impression that 25 - 30 year olds are her demographic? They're simply not?
Ive said this before, but i think its because a lot of people lied about their ages to sign up to youtube back in the day, and have never gone back in to fix their fake birthdate. So she thinks she had an audience her age (18- 22) when she was doing stuff 8 years ago, but it was actually mostly 8-12 year olds who had signed up pretending to be 16 or 18. Now, all this time later, those 8 year olds are now still only 16 but their yt demographic age will show as mid twenties.

Reactions: 30
Ive said this before, but i think its because a lot of people lied about their ages to sign up to youtube back in the day, and have never gone back in to fix their fake birthdate. So she thinks she had an audience her age (18- 22) when she was doing stuff 8 years ago, but it was actually mostly 8-12 year olds who had signed up pretending to be 16 or 18. Now, all this time later, those 8 year olds are now still only 16 but their yt demographic age will show as mid twenties.
Definitely this !! It shows on instagram (business profile settings) and youtube the ages of the people interacting with your content most so tbh if she’s going off that then it’s not a lie, regardless of whether people are lying about their age.

ALSO i love y’all but 80% of you say you are 25-30 and view her stories / insta content / youtube videos so this is whyyyy she thinks that’s her audience dkm

Last edited:
Reactions: 17
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.