Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Loving this thread. The bit I struggle with is my hair. I am hopeless with updo's and putting my hair up so it looks classy, but ponytails can be so dull. I bought one of those hair bun donuts but then I had lots of hair sticking out. Oh to look classier!
I feel this, my hair is like a dandelion puff! I find a low neat bun (my hair is only about chin/neck length) with a silk scrunchie and the help of hair pins and serum gets me almost put together looking hahah

Reactions: 2
A pony tail can look good.
If you put your hair up as normal and then take a section and wrap it around the hair band and pin in place with a kirby grip. It's such a small thing but it can make a huge difference.
You can dress it with some loose hair to frame your face, different partings or completely slicked back.

Reactions: 4
Sorry to hijack the thread but I can't create my own and can't find anything else of a similar nature in Advice. It's my Son's wedding this month and I absolutely CANNOT take a good photograph! I'm too self-conscious and end up either gurning like a loon or looking like I've the weight of the world on my shoulders!! I really want at least one good photo of me with the happy couple and wider family group but absolutely dreading the whole "posing experience"! Any advice?
Get your make up and hair done professionally, it will be impossible then not to look good in the photos! X

Reactions: 3
Good until end of day - Preview link to Too Faced’s yearly sale. Nice for anyone looking to explore new products like me. I’m excited to receive the shadow palettes. I’ve heard positive things about them irl. I don’t rate their foundation which I’ve purchased before. I’ve heard (Caution: From an influencer) nice things about their Hangover line. I purchased the travel kit to see for myself. 🙂

It’s a good sale. Fingers crossed it works for you, I’m in the 🇺🇸

Last edited:
Find someone you admire and copy their look ...

For work, you really can't go wrong with minimal makeup (mascara, lip colour and foundation or tinted moisturiser), hair pulled back if it's of that length, and neatly trimmed nails painted in a neutral pink. Dress-wise, clean and pressed clothes, in plain colours; and shoes in a mid-heel.

My best tip for always looking polished is to have treatments that save you time and effort if you can afford them. So for example, if I’m in a mad rush, I will always at the very least have eyebrows and lashes because I have my brows microbladed and a lash lift and tint. Gel nails are great as it lasts ages and doesn’t chip (if done properly) so you can forget about your hands for a fortnight. Tinted lip balm is quick to swipe on if you don’t have time to do lip liner etc. I also have a twisty Chanel thing in my bag, I know you said to look polished but for me if someone smells good they seem more put together. I never go to work without perfume.
Other than that I totally agree about greasy hair, it is my pet peeve and I make no apologies for judging people who turn up to work looking like an egg would fry on their head. I have waist length, thick, wavy hair that takes an age to wash/dry/style and needs doing every other day, so I truly know what a pain it can be, but there’s no excuse for uncleanliness tbh.
Oh and re heels - I personally do wear heels to work and feel better for it, but if you can’t walk in them, just don’t. Buy a nice flat or a small heel instead. Nothing worse than obviously not being able to walk in your shoes.

Reactions: 16
I’m currently looking into eyelash lift and tint but a bit nervous! How long does the process of getting it done last?
About 45mins - I find it weirdly relaxing! Could happily fall asleep while it’s being done 🤣

About 45mins - I find it weirdly relaxing! Could happily fall asleep while it’s being done 🤣
Totally get that, the lovely lady who does mine also has the most soothing voice, I love a little nap while I’m there 😂😂

• Haha
Reactions: 4
For me personally:
  • Ironed clothes are a must. It's very basic, but a lot of people look unkept because they can't be bothered to iron anything.
  • Shiny hair with clean and neat ends. I'm not saying you need to splash on expensive oils, but healthy looking hair goes a long way. You don't always need hot tools either if you spend a few minutes styling your hair.
  • Nails - again, you don't need to splash and get those get / acrylic nails done every other week, but neat natural nails/cuticles with perhaps a clear nail polish is highly sufficient. I actually think long acrylic / gel nails with patterns, flowers etc.. look incredibly tacky.
  • Subtle perfume - Not the Mademoiselle Chanel that one can smell from a thousand miles away, but a subtle scent.
  • Neat and natural eyebrows (not the square ones that look horrific on anyone)
  • No fake than / orange hands
  • Basic oral hygiene
  • Discreet accessories (thin gold bracelet or necklace or ring)
  • Skin - it's important to take care of your skin obviously, but hormones play a huge part, so I would never say someone looks unkept because their skin is struggling a bit. It's ridiculous. Of course, one should take appropriate measures (adjust diet, use recommended skin scare, see a dermatologist when possible), but sometimes your skin is going through a rough patch and you have to accept it. Use a nice BB cream instead of caked makeup to conceal. It's worse.
  • No eyelash extensions especially those that look like cheap fake lashes from Primark (the super black and thick ones). It's not a good look at all.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
Reactions: 24
For me personally:
  • Ironed clothes are a must. It's very basic, but a lot of people look unkept because they can't be bothered to iron anything.
  • Shiny hair with clean and neat ends. I'm not saying you need to splash on expensive oils, but healthy looking hair goes a long way. You don't always need hot tools either if you spend a few minutes styling your hair.
  • Nails - again, you don't need to splash and get those get / acrylic nails every other week, but neat natural nails/cuticles with perhaps a clear nail polish is sufficient. I actually think long acrylic / gel nails with patterns, flowers etc.. look incredibly tacky.
  • Subtle perfume - Not the Mademoiselle Chanel that one can smell from a thousand miles away, but a subtle scent.
  • Basic oral hygiene
  • Skin - it's important to take care of your skin obviously, but hormones play a huge part, so I would never say someone looks unkept because their skin is struggling a bit. It's ridiculous. Of course, one should take appropriate measures (adjust diet, use recommended skin scare, see a dermatologist when possible), but sometimes your skin is going through a rough patch and you have to accept it. Use a nice BB cream instead of caked makeup to conceal. It's worse.
  • No eyelash extensions especially those that look like cheap fake lashes from Primark (the super black and thick ones). It's not a good look at all.

You sound posh 😀😅

• Haha
Reactions: 35
For me personally:
  • Nails - again, you don't need to splash and get those get / acrylic nails done every other week, but neat natural nails/cuticles with perhaps a clear nail polish is highly sufficient. I actually think long acrylic / gel nails with patterns, flowers etc.. look incredibly tacky.
  • Basic oral hygiene
The OP only asked what you do to look groomed and polished. Not an opinion on other peoples choice of nails, tan, make up, perfume or eyebrows. This is very judgemental.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 26
The OP only asked what you do to look groomed and polished. Not an opinion on other peoples choice of nails, tan, make up, perfume or eyebrows. This is very judgemental.
Pardon me, but are you the forum's appointed defense lawyer?

I think "glamorous" and "polished" is very subjective and thus dependent on each person's view of what it means to them. So yes, I input my opinion in there, OP is free to take it or leave it.

If you like what I personally consider as "tacky", good for you. You seem rather triggered, but quite frankly, it's not my issue.

It's a forum. We have free speech within certain boundaries. I'm not going to censor my view on certain things because people don't have a thick enough skin to understand it's a personal opinion, not a personal attack.

Perhaps a nice bath will do you some good. You seem tense!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26
I booked a lash lift and tint for the end of the month I’ve never had either!! So excited, what should I expect exactly?

Reactions: 7
I booked a lash lift and tint for the end of the month I’ve never had either!! So excited, what should I expect exactly?
I’ve never had a lash lift sorry but I have a last tint and I just adore the results. Hope you enjoy your treatments

Reactions: 1
You’ll love it! Honestly you just lay down and close your eyes, they stick your eyelashes up onto this little platform thing (doesn’t hurt or anything) to lift them with some chemicals then usually tint after. I sometimes get a bit of a sting when I open my eyes again but I wear contacts (which you can’t for the process btw so if you do, take your glasses) and my eyes are sensitive. It’s really relaxing, I’ve nearly fallen asleep before!

also re above posts everyone is entitled to their opinion but honestly give me Chanel Mademoiselle or give me death 😏 I don’t know anyone else who wears it and I always get complimented when I wear it 🤷🏻‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.