Your tips on how to look more Groomed, Glamorous or Polished.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m glad to see all these olaplex posts as I’ve just bought the oil.
Not sure about the other items in the range as my hair isn’t dyed (yet!)

Reactions: 1
I think I need a new hair cut to shake things up. I have quite a round face and I've had a side fringe since high school haha which was like over 10 years ago... I don't have any layers either as my hair dries straight without them which saves on styling time. But maybe a change would be good. So tricky knowing what to style to go for though.

Reactions: 4
I think you can look polished without spending a lot. Like many have said, clean neat nails. Hair brushed or pulled back and smoothed over. Minimal jewelry. If an outfit doesn’t fit just right, it looks sloppy, I think hemming or tailoring things for a proper fit helps the overall polished look. Good hygiene of course, clean teeth and body and hair. Tidy shoes. And most important for the overall look imo, good posture.

Reactions: 12
French tip gel mani and pedi on natural nail length. French tip always looks so neat, clean, fresh. And goes with every outfit!

Fill in sparse eyebrows with powder/wax kit. Eyeliner (pencil) on lower lash line Full face not necessarily needed, but groomed brows and a little bit of eye definition make a big difference.

Keep on top of white hairs. I use Bigen powdered dye. I totally recommend for dark or black haired people. Only need to mix tiny amount apply to the affected areas, with a toothbrush.

Color Wow Dream Coat spray for blow drying, it combats frizz due to high humidity.

Small stud earrings. They always add instant prettiness to the face.

Invest in Mason & Pearson boar bristle mix hairbrush. It’s kind to the hair. A good head of hair is everything, no need for extensions if natural hair is maintained.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Look after your skin. Double cleanse & moisurise.
I get my hair trimmed every 8 weeks.
Tint your brows / lashes or just keep them tidy & filled in.
Make up - less is more, only difference between my day & night make up is the coverage of my foundation and the colour of my eye liner/ mascara, so brown for day & black for night, I use tinted moisturiser for day & double wear if I’m out at night.
I get Botox x3 a year (I save £50 a month in a jar for this then just add what I need so never feels a big expense)
Keep nails short & tidy, I get mine gel polished every 3 weeks & it’s always neutral colours in summer & berry or black in winter, no pattern etc
I gel polish my own toes (cheap kit off Amazon)
Thursday is fake tan night, i like a bit of colour but Dove moisturiser do a gradual one that is great, I use this to top up my st tropez
Clothes, for work I wear 2 black shift dresses with a jacket or trousers with a blouse body suit in white or black or light blue. Put your work clothes together on a Sunday afternoon so you can be more organised in a morning
I have a good work bag in a stand out colour that fits everything in & looks x20 more than what I paid for it
Weekends if we go out I wear jeans & I have 3 really good quality T-shirts in white, grey & black, always look tidy (mine are Levi’s but Tesco do brill ones) jeans are either light blue, Dark blue or black.
Classic plain white clean trainers, clean shoes is really important

I think simple & tidy is key, keep it achievable, it doesn’t have to cost a lot either, add colour with accessories
Find something that works for you, I find M&S heels best for work so I have them in 3 colours but I have them in suede for going out at night because I know they will fit and won’t hurt me

just read this back and I sound really boring 😂😂😂 I’m just too busy be dealing with disasters or feeling uncomfortable in myself

• Heart
Reactions: 38
Make up - less is more, only difference between my day & night make up is the coverage of my foundation and the colour of my eye liner/ mascara, so brown for day & black for night, I use tinted moisturiser for day & double wear if I’m out at night.
I get Botox x3 a year (I save £50 a month in a jar for this then just add what I need so never feels a big expense)
Keep nails short & tidy, I get mine gel polished every 3 weeks & it’s always neutral colours in summer & berry or black in winter, no pattern etc
Thursday is fake tan night, i like a bit of colour but Dove moisturiser do a gradual one that is great, I use this to top up my st tropez
Clothes, for work I wear 2 black shift dresses with a jacket or trousers with a blouse body suit in white or black or light blue. Put your work clothes together on a Sunday afternoon so you can be more organised in a morning
I have a good work bag in a stand out colour that fits everything in & looks x20 more than what I paid for it
Weekends if we go out I wear jeans & I have 3 really good quality T-shirts in white, grey & black, always look tidy (mine are Levi’s but Tesco do brill ones) jeans are either light blue, Dark blue or black.

I think simple & tidy is key, keep it achievable, it doesn’t have to cost a lot either, add colour with accessories
Find something that works for you, I find M&S heels best for work so I have them in 3 colours but I have them in suede for going out at night because I know they will fit and won’t hurt me

just read this back and I sound really boring 😂😂😂 I’m just too busy be dealing with disasters or feeling uncomfortable in myself
This is my dream. Sadly I feel like a bit of a mismatch that has no idea of style!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Reading this thread with interest. I've always been a bit scruffy but feeling more self conscious of this after having my second child (and doing the school run but that's another story....). Based on the tips above - does anyone keep to this routine with young children/babies in the house?

Reactions: 1
Reading this thread with interest. I've always been a bit scruffy but feeling more self conscious of this after having my second child (and doing the school run but that's another story....). Based on the tips above - does anyone keep to this routine with young children/babies in the house?
I had a baby 6 months ago and still feel I look like a mess! My style has disappeared and I have no idea what to wear/how to put things together so that’s a work in progress.

I do aim for a sleek low bun as I am not bothering with my hair yet due to the post pregnancy hair loss. I cleanse tone and moisturise twice a day with a serum and spf after.

I am trying to fake tan once a week as well cause I always feel better after that!
Those are my tips 😂 I love reading everyone else’s 🥰

• Heart
Reactions: 4
This is my dream. Sadly I feel like a bit of a mismatch that has no idea of style!
Of course you have style, we all do! Next time you get dressed & you are happy take a photo and make an album of items you love, then it’s easy for ideas of what looks great on you. Start simple, give yourself 30 mins a day for just you, time on your skin routine or a mask on your hair, doesn’t have to be pricey, can be basic it’s still working. Use it to shower & slap body lotion on :) 30 mins is nothing but over a week it all adds up!
my style is simple, boring for some, just works for me! Plain jeans & vest top with a bright belt & simple white pumps - you look together but if you need dress it up, pop a blazer on & some heels with a bold necklace or earrings

Also jewellery, keep it simple, I prefer plain studs most of the time, if your wearing a stand out necklace then very simple earrings and other way round

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I really lost my way when I had my little girl. However during lockdown I found ‘me’ again and have more of routine with keeping myself looking nice most of the time. For example, I only buy clothes that I know I can make multiple outfits out of - think black trousers, I have a pair from H&M that I love and also a colour in grey. The black goes with anything, absolutely versatile. Black turtle neck, neutral T-shirt’s / vests, white shirt and I add gold jewellery with them all. Earrings, necklace and my beloved gold chunky ring. In terms of beauty I had my nails done every few weeks, I have my eyelashes filled with natural eyelash extensions (they’re not too long, quite subtle hence why they’re called ‘natural’), I get my eyebrows laminated every 8 weeks and I fake tan every week. My favourite cleanser at the moment is Cetaphil, it makes my skin feel so soft and I’ve not had any acne since I started using it months ago. My hair I like to either curl it or have it up in a bun. Hope I’ve explained myself well 😂 X

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I always love people with brave style who just wear what they want. I love bright clothing and have lots of fun accessories that some people might hate but they make me feel happy wearing them :giggle: I've lost my way with this since covid and work from home though - mostly pjs and joggers!

Reactions: 13

This doesn’t sound boring at all! Amazing! Would love if you would share the bag you mentioned? I am on the lookout for a new work bag.

I’m a big believer in pulling something off with confidence doing wonders for looking put together. Obviously there’s some big no nos like greasy hair (unless you’re working it into a look). But if you make everything you do look intentional then you can make it work.

I set aside things that make a specific look I’m going for- but I’m quite varied style wise. Sometimes I fancy a rock/ more edgy and sometimes I want more tailored and other times I want something more girly. I go with how I feel on the day and stick to clothing that makes me feel good/ happy rather than what’s on trend.
I do think one thing to be conscious of is what your colour pallet is. I’m very pale with dark hair so I’m conscious of finding colours that accentuate that and don’t wash me out.

Absolutely, it’s the Erika in raspberry
Thank you so much, that is a beautiful bag!

Also - my tip would be body oil after a shower. Makes your skin feel amazing. You can get more expensive oils for a complete bargain price in home sense (tk maxx home store). I have one that genuinely sells for £36 and I think I paid £4.99!

P.s I've bought the bag!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 18
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.