Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

turkeydinosaurs

Olaplex has changed my drab hair. Expensive but worth it I find.
Botox three times a year
Monthly pedicure
Eyebrow wax and tint monthly
Lash tint monthly
Nails fortnightly
Skin peel weekly (Bodyshop drops of youth)
Cleanse, tone and moisturise every night
Lip scrub and balm every night
A good bra - there’s nothing worse than the girls hanging by your belly button
Clean shoes, no scuffs on trainers etc
Classic clothes that don’t go out of style
A nice winter coat
I think self care is so important

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 70

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I’m no expert but this is what I do to try to look and feel better.

Keep your hair in good condition, wear a hair mask weekly.

Either treat yourself to a mani or DIY a home mani making your nails looking clean and fresh.

Iron clothes that need ironing, keeping them sharp

Polish/ clean shoes

Groom your eyebrows

Double cleanse your skin every night, wear a mask once a week. Your make up looks better if your skin is clean, smooth and bright.

• Heart
Reactions: 68

Sheeeet

Chatty Member
I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this, but maybe some of you have advice on how to be better about it?

I tend to "safe" some items like a perfume, or a lotion, etc for an event or similar, instead of using them every day or at least regularly. And then very often when such an event comes around, I'm not using it as I'm then worried I haven't used it in a long time, so that I'm not sure if I'm applying it nicely, whether it'll work with my foundation, etc. so essentially I'm in a deadlock of not using stuff due to waiting up for an occasion and then not using it because I stick to my regular things.
I don't know why I keep doing this, I'm annoyed by myself about it. I get e.g. wearing a certain perfume only for special occasions, but I've caught myself not using conditioner and that's getting pretty stupid.
I used to do this too until I emptied my mum's house after she died. All those lovely things, crockery, cutlery, sheets, clothes, makeup all in pristine condition. It just made me sad. I now use what I kept of hers every day, the dishes and cutlery for everyday meals. And I use my makeup and perfume up and wear my nice clothes to the pub. You never know what's around the corner.

Use your 'good' stuff in good health and enjoy it.

• Heart
Reactions: 52

Blowup80

VIP Member
Second keeping on top of your skin. I am religious with my skincare. It makes me feel good about myself. I work from home but still make sure my hair is clean and still blow dry/straighten it. I live in comfortable/dog walking clothes at moment but make sure I look clean and tidy at the same time. I treat myself to a lash and brow tint once a month. Face mask twice a week. Regular haircuts/dyes.This is more for me than what others think. I just prefer myself that way and helps with my mental health.

• Heart
Reactions: 43

1001 others

VIP Member
A lady I play golf with has the most incredible style, but it is really very simple.

It's not just in the clothing she wears (always block colours, never any patterns), but also in the way she carries herself - perfect posture, walks very elegantly - and talks + engages incredibly well with people (speaks slowly and clearly and holds a gaze really well).

She also smells really lovely (as strange as this sounds, she reminds me of the new car smell!), and is so optimistic about everything (without being silly) - it's quite contagious. A lot of men at the club fancy her (not surprising). She doesn't wear a lot of makeup - at a guess, I'd say she wears mascara, lipstick and some sort of foundation or tinted moisturiser. She has grey hairs that are blended with blonde highlights and little wrinkles - she embraces aging rather than trying to hide it.

She definitely leaves a lasting impression.

• Heart
Reactions: 42

Mrspowell

VIP Member
I just can’t afford to get my nails done. But they make me feel so put together and better if I do. I’ve started using primark glue on nails, lasting me 10 days - 14 days. I get so many comments on my glue on nails and they cost me £1!!!!

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 38

Latala

Chatty Member
Look after your skin. Double cleanse & moisurise.
I get my hair trimmed every 8 weeks.
Tint your brows / lashes or just keep them tidy & filled in.
Make up - less is more, only difference between my day & night make up is the coverage of my foundation and the colour of my eye liner/ mascara, so brown for day & black for night, I use tinted moisturiser for day & double wear if I’m out at night.
I get Botox x3 a year (I save £50 a month in a jar for this then just add what I need so never feels a big expense)
Keep nails short & tidy, I get mine gel polished every 3 weeks & it’s always neutral colours in summer & berry or black in winter, no pattern etc
I gel polish my own toes (cheap kit off Amazon)
Thursday is fake tan night, i like a bit of colour but Dove moisturiser do a gradual one that is great, I use this to top up my st tropez
Clothes, for work I wear 2 black shift dresses with a jacket or trousers with a blouse body suit in white or black or light blue. Put your work clothes together on a Sunday afternoon so you can be more organised in a morning
I have a good work bag in a stand out colour that fits everything in & looks x20 more than what I paid for it
Weekends if we go out I wear jeans & I have 3 really good quality T-shirts in white, grey & black, always look tidy (mine are Levi’s but Tesco do brill ones) jeans are either light blue, Dark blue or black.
Classic plain white clean trainers, clean shoes is really important

I think simple & tidy is key, keep it achievable, it doesn’t have to cost a lot either, add colour with accessories
Find something that works for you, I find M&S heels best for work so I have them in 3 colours but I have them in suede for going out at night because I know they will fit and won’t hurt me

just read this back and I sound really boring 😂😂😂 I’m just too busy be dealing with disasters or feeling uncomfortable in myself

• Heart
Reactions: 38

Mrspowell

VIP Member
For me personally:
  • Ironed clothes are a must. It's very basic, but a lot of people look unkept because they can't be bothered to iron anything.
  • Shiny hair with clean and neat ends. I'm not saying you need to splash on expensive oils, but healthy looking hair goes a long way. You don't always need hot tools either if you spend a few minutes styling your hair.
  • Nails - again, you don't need to splash and get those get / acrylic nails every other week, but neat natural nails/cuticles with perhaps a clear nail polish is sufficient. I actually think long acrylic / gel nails with patterns, flowers etc.. look incredibly tacky.
  • Subtle perfume - Not the Mademoiselle Chanel that one can smell from a thousand miles away, but a subtle scent.
  • Neat and natural eyebrows (not the square ones that look horrific on anyone)
  • No fake than / orange hands
  • Basic oral hygiene
  • Discreet accessories (thin gold bracelet or necklace or ring)
  • Skin - it's important to take care of your skin obviously, but hormones play a huge part, so I would never say someone looks unkept because their skin is struggling a bit. It's ridiculous. Of course, one should take appropriate measures (adjust diet, use recommended skin scare, see a dermatologist when possible), but sometimes your skin is going through a rough patch and you have to accept it. Use a nice BB cream instead of caked makeup to conceal. It's worse.
  • No eyelash extensions especially those that look like cheap fake lashes from Primark (the super black and thick ones). It's not a good look at all.

You sound posh 😀😅

• Haha
Reactions: 35

slugella

VIP Member
Parking myself here for all the tips!! :m I feel in a rut and so average, not good for self confidence. It would be nice to go to events and not feel so meh about how I look.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

blue_orchid

VIP Member
My mom says no matter what, always spray some lovely perfume on everyday. Even if you're staying home all day, seeing no one and cleaning the house. Always have a couple spritzes of a gorgeous perfume on to brighten your day.

• Heart
Reactions: 29

Welshgal

VIP Member
Wearing neutrals and simple pieces will automatically make you look more put together.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

TheGlossy

VIP Member
The OP only asked what you do to look groomed and polished. Not an opinion on other peoples choice of nails, tan, make up, perfume or eyebrows. This is very judgemental.
Pardon me, but are you the forum's appointed defense lawyer?

I think "glamorous" and "polished" is very subjective and thus dependent on each person's view of what it means to them. So yes, I input my opinion in there, OP is free to take it or leave it.

If you like what I personally consider as "tacky", good for you. You seem rather triggered, but quite frankly, it's not my issue.

It's a forum. We have free speech within certain boundaries. I'm not going to censor my view on certain things because people don't have a thick enough skin to understand it's a personal opinion, not a personal attack.

Perhaps a nice bath will do you some good. You seem tense!

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 26

hiya_hun

VIP Member
For me personally:
  • Ironed clothes are a must. It's very basic, but a lot of people look unkept because they can't be bothered to iron anything.
  • Shiny hair with clean and neat ends. I'm not saying you need to splash on expensive oils, but healthy looking hair goes a long way. You don't always need hot tools either if you spend a few minutes styling your hair.
  • Nails - again, you don't need to splash and get those get / acrylic nails done every other week, but neat natural nails/cuticles with perhaps a clear nail polish is highly sufficient. I actually think long acrylic / gel nails with patterns, flowers etc.. look incredibly tacky.
  • Subtle perfume - Not the Mademoiselle Chanel that one can smell from a thousand miles away, but a subtle scent.
  • Basic oral hygiene
  • Skin - it's important to take care of your skin obviously, but hormones play a huge part, so I would never say someone looks unkept because their skin is struggling a bit. It's ridiculous. Of course, one should take appropriate measures (adjust diet, use recommended skin scare, see a dermatologist when possible), but sometimes your skin is going through a rough patch and you have to accept it. Use a nice BB cream instead of caked makeup to conceal. It's worse.
  • No eyelash extensions especially those that look like cheap fake lashes from Primark (the super black and thick ones). It's not a good look at all.
The OP only asked what you do to look groomed and polished. Not an opinion on other peoples choice of nails, tan, make up, perfume or eyebrows. This is very judgemental.

• Heart
  • Angry
Reactions: 26

Lola UK

VIP Member
I’ve had a self care day and it’s been so nice! I tinted my brows and lashes, dermaplaned my face and moisturised. Then I put olive oil in my hair and let it sit for 20 mins. Washed my hair and oh my, it really does feel like it’s made a difference! It feels so soft! 🥰

I ordered some nails bits and bobs from Amazon, so I’m going to gel my hands and toes tomorrow. It really lifts my mood when I make time to do this for myself! Happy Saturday 🤍

• Heart
Reactions: 24

queenamber

VIP Member
Do your hair. Even if you have to stay up 20 minutes later or get up 20 minutes earlier. A nice blow dry will make you feel and look better. I love the Dyson hairdryer and the Revlon blow drying brush.

Related, if you're grey, maintain your roots. I even do this myself at home with root touch up (the Clairol ones are great). In a pinch I use tinted hair sprays on my roots.

Wear the same colour head to toe to look instantly chic.

Always keep your nails neat. I swear by sheer pink gel and do it myself at home every 2 weeks. My favourites are OPI Bubble Bath and Essie Topless & Barefoot.

Have a good skincare and hygiene routine. Vitamin C, retinol and sunscreen are your best friends.

Keep your brows neat and try to avoid the fake-looking slug-brows you see all over Instagram. A swipe of tinted brow gel is all you really need. I like Glossier's Boy Brow.

Find your signature make up. For me, it's a brown/taupe cream eyeshadow (MAC Groundwork), some cream blush (Stila Peony), and a sheer gloss on my lips.

Adding jewelry always makes me feel more put together. A nice pair of subtle earrings, a layering necklace, and a classic looking watch (gold or silver depending on your colouring).

Find a signature scent.

Invest in a good handbag and/or good shoes. You can easily wear stuff from the high street and elevate it with a classic designer bag.

Last edited:
  • Heart

TheGlossy

VIP Member
For me personally:
  • Nails - again, you don't need to splash and get those get / acrylic nails done every other week, but neat natural nails/cuticles with perhaps a clear nail polish is highly sufficient. I actually think long acrylic / gel nails with patterns, flowers etc.. look incredibly tacky.
  • Basic oral hygiene

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad

oksobasically

Absolutely LOVE reading through this thread, so many tabs open for exploring!
I decided that when I turned 30 I was going to take taking care of myself more seriously and it's a game changer for how I approach everything now.

One of the absolute best things is getting a keratin treatment done (saw a few people thinking about it - couldn't recommend more!) my hair is down to my lower back, curly at the root and frizzy all over. I used to take 20-30 mins to dry it every day and then another 20 to straighten and I'd still end up with it tied up within an hour. Now, it maybe takes me 15-20 mins to dry and I literally do not need to straighten it, and haven't for nearly 2 months. I wanted a de-frizz above all but I'd say if you don't want to commit to straight hair as your everyday state then maybe look at something else - a revlon hot brush is pretty brilliant at smoothing frizz as you dry but keeping volume if you're a frizzy textured person! It felt like it stripped the semi-perm colour I had out, but it might be a coincidence, and it is a pain to need special shampoos etc. It makes me feel put together every single day before I've done anything else though, and I'll probably get them forever.
On a separate hair note, I thought the Revolution dupe of Olaplex 3 was a little better than the original. And Loreal Wonder Water makes my hair feel so soft.
Electrolysis for facial hair, thanks PCOS - it's been life changing to know it's permanent and doesn't hurt if you're used to plucking/have ever epilated anywhere.
Laser hair removal - 2 sessions in and the regrowth is loads finer and less on the whole. I tried a home IPL machine with good reviews but just can't be consistent or patient with something that doesn't show me immediate results lol
Acrylic nails - I get them long and sharp because I've got fat hands and this balances the look of them imo. Totally get that for some people it can look tacky, and I can't open a drink can, but I'm obsessed. I also only get infills so my natural nails aren't getting too damaged as they're not really thinned down in the process and you can do that for about a year.
Pedicures - done at home mostly for ease, OPI polishes are really lovely if you dont want to get into gel etc and they've good staying power.
Crest whitening strips - love them, use a few a week every couple of months cos otherwise my teeth get sensitive. I set up a us amazon account to get them shipped over but excited to maybe find a cheaper way. I've heard Lumineux is meant to give similar results
Botox - just a little bit in my forehead to smooth a line that I got obsessed with, absolutely love it
Actually putting time into researching skin products and not buying as much makeup has made a huge difference to my skin.

I'm working on my style catching up with where I'm at with feeling put together elsewhere, agree with other posters saying more basic clothing with more investment in accessories is the way to go, and would second someone's suggestion of Vestiaire Collective for getting pre-loved classics.

It's harder to find good quality and stylish clothing as a plus size woman in her 30s so if anyone has suggestions?! Go to's at the mo are New Look and River Island for high street stuff and sometimes you really are digging through absolute rubbish.

• Heart

Rxt156

VIP Member
My tip: wash yo hair!!
How can you be polished, clean and fresh with one week old hair!!?!
I understand this will be an unpopular opinion. I do not care 🥲

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 23

LittleBirdie

VIP Member
I need a moment to rave about Revitalash. I’ve been using it 5 weeks and my lashes are about 70% longer than they were. Currently wearing mascara and some of my lashes are getting close to my brows!

I bought the Revitalash advanced and it’s pricey but so worth it.

9A541E6B-6966-4995-A169-4974572B2FC7.jpeg

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 22
I'm sure I'm not the only one doing this, but maybe some of you have advice on how to be better about it?

I tend to "safe" some items like a perfume, or a lotion, etc for an event or similar, instead of using them every day or at least regularly. And then very often when such an event comes around, I'm not using it as I'm then worried I haven't used it in a long time, so that I'm not sure if I'm applying it nicely, whether it'll work with my foundation, etc. so essentially I'm in a deadlock of not using stuff due to waiting up for an occasion and then not using it because I stick to my regular things.
I don't know why I keep doing this, I'm annoyed by myself about it. I get e.g. wearing a certain perfume only for special occasions, but I've caught myself not using conditioner and that's getting pretty stupid.
I used to do this too until I emptied my mum's house after she died. All those lovely things, crockery, cutlery, sheets, clothes, makeup all in pristine condition. It just made me sad. I now use what I kept of hers every day, the dishes and cutlery for everyday meals. And I use my makeup and perfume up and wear my nice clothes to the pub. You never know what's around the corner.

Use your 'good' stuff in good health and enjoy it.
Honestly I’m in same boat hoarding lively things got “special” occasions that might never happen. So I’m having a massive declutter and clear out. The amount of times we see beautiful things left because someone saved them. My friends grandparents saved loads of money for retirement. They planned to go on cruises and see the world in style. Yet they both passed without it happening. The family have used the inheritance to travel, attend courses and just do things that bring them joy. My friends mum built a beautiful greenhouse. Because life is made up of loads of tiny mundane moments and we should try to make those as joyous as possible x

• Heart
Reactions: 22