Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

simbi123

Does anyone have any must-know tips for dealing with frizzy hair? I've never bothered with my hair before and have no idea where to start 😬

Reactions: 1

Libbylulu

VIP Member
I highlight my hair and can usual go 7/8 weeks before I need it redone. I have a new hairdresser and when the colour is done it’s gorgeous but around 3 weeks later it’s faded and looks terrible. This is the second time. I use Olaplex shampoo and conditioner.
Changing hairdresser isn’t possible unfortunately

Slaybutter

VIP Member
I’ve got you covered babe. Pre covid I spray tanned from March to October every year and just started going again.

So - I love the Tanning Shop as they have cheap packages if you go on a non peak day (will vary by store but it’s like Sunday Monday Tuesday generally). Some of my friends swear by Secret Spa-type things where the technician comes to your house with a tent, and you leave it on less time, but for me that’s more expensive than I’m willing to pay for not much benefit.

IMHO you need to go to somewhere that does Versa Pro. In my experience it lasts way longer than Mystic or Sienna X and is less orange. Ask them for the clear one, otherwise you’ll look dark the second you walk out. (It won’t affect the final tan but preferably I just don’t like looking like I’ve had a spray tan five minutes ago!)

I’m blonde and fair, slash pale and sallow, but I do tan well albeit very slowly. I go for medium. I’ve also had dark. Never tried light or very dark - maybe others have? I will say, my natural tan colour tends to be on the orange side, as opposed to very dark, or very golden. You’d be good with light or medium I reckon.

Before you go, exfoliate well and try to not shower for a few hours beforehand. Don’t shave for 24 hours beforehand as the tan sinks into the follicles. Take loose clothes.

In the booth, be generous with the barrier cream on elbows, knees etc. Don’t worry about having noticeable delineations between where you put the cream and where you don’t - I can honestly say I’ve never had issues with it whereas I have had buildup on my heels for example, from not using enough barrier cream. Then follow the instructions and as soon as you come out, wipe your palms and soles incredibly well. I do often feel a bit sweaty afterwards but it never seems to affect the outcome. Tbh even if I have a strap rubbing it doesn’t seem to matter much but loose clothes will be more comfy.

My personal approach, once home, is to wash my face with face wash and water. I use tanning drops for my face and worst comes to worst, I’d rather touch a paler face up with bronzer than look tangoed. I don’t fully trust the booth tan on my face

So then on your face, I’d recommend Tan Luxe drops with your normal moisturiser just before bed. (You can keep that topped up while on holiday.)

I would normally tan in the evening and wash off in the morning. It will mark your sheets but it washes out. In the shower you’ll be like 😱 when you see it wash off but don’t be alarmed, that’s just the colour marker.

On hols, I used to be strict about not going in the pool etc. and try to only use oil free moisturisers and sun cream, but tbh I can’t say I noticed a huge difference in longevity compared to when I just did whatever I felt like. Same for shaving - it doesn’t take it off. For me it goes a bit scaly on my chest after a while (ages though) and never works as well on my shoulders, but I can never tan my shoulders normally so I think that’s just a me thing. It genuinely lasts about ten days on me if I’ve exfoliated well in the run-up. Then I’d start to notice it on my towels after a shower a bit, and then I just buff a bit off each day til I’m ready to go again!

Good luck, it can be a bit of a faff but so worth it and means you don’t need to damage your skin by sunbathing! 🌞
absolute angel, thank you 🙏

• Heart

YellowLadybird

Chatty Member
just wanted to say that teeth whitening strips are SO bad for your teeth in the long term. Maybe once if you’re in desperate need to whiten it but still 🥴. it increases sensitivity and may lead to you needing to replace some teeth. Visit a dentist and even though it’s slightly pricey they’ll do it safely and properly. I’m a dentist and when I saw the teeth whitening chat on here I gasped 🤣
What would you recommend? My aesthetics practitioner (a qualified Dentist) recommended Enlighten, because it comes with a guarantee - but would be interested to look at what else is out there as nowhere close to me seems to be offering it!

I don't have the yellowest teeth, I'm just fair skinned so the lack of contrast works against me! Doubt I'd need the most super intense treatment but I don't have strong teeth (maybe payoff for them being naturally straight haha) so don't want to damage them, but being self conscious of your smile is not the one

@skintsocks just on the lash lift part, did you have them tinted at the same time? Whenever I’ve had a lift they’ve always hinted / said outright that they don’t see the point doing it for me unless I get my lashes tinted too, because mine are fair. Maybe you did and it just wasn’t a very good technician, but if not it might be worth trying.

With regard to brows, maybe micro blading could be an option? Although a very expensive one I know.
As a fellow blondie, dyeing your lashes actually makes more of a difference than lifting them to the overall 'look'. I use Joanna (a Polish brand) Henna, which is super cheap and comes in brown as well if you don't want the very dark look. Works in <2 minutes and doesn't take much skill. Just keep your eye closed, use a pad underneath plus vaseline around the eye, and wear gloves.

My microblading wasn't cheap (about £200?) but absolutely worth it. I could never achieve this look with makeup products, let alone get it to stay in place!

Last edited:

StillLucilleBluth

VIP Member
As a good way to top up or ensure specific areas are super protected between reapplications, I love the SuperGoop Glow Stick which is SPF50.

I really want to try some K-beauty ones when my current face SPF is finished (which is Image Skincare SPF50 btw - I used to recommend it to everyone but I think they’ve reformulated it, or I got a bad batch, because it’s now so thick and gloopy it’s almost too hard to rub in. So avoid that one I reckon!).

Snowjoke

VIP Member
Has anyone ever used the Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Eye Base for under eyes? I’ve heard really good things about the original face base but I’m interested in the one for eyes/under eyes. I’ve always had fine lines under my eyes as I’ve quite an expressive face and makeup would always settle in them, but now that I’m 30 I feel like it’s becoming more noticeable. I’ve tried different concealers and formulas and different powders but nothing makes much of a difference. Not looking for the lines to completely disappear obviously, just something to make them less obvious and not as ‘crepe’ looking.
Yes I use its an amazing base for eye make up!!!

Marcinabolan

it’s these gummies. I get the spots on my jaw line and chin mostly but get odd ones on chest and back also x

So I’ve decided to do my own makeup for my wedding in 6 weeks 😬 having not really worn any since before lockdown! Have got an appointment at the John Lewis beauty counter for a session where I can go and try out stuff and they can recommend bits for me.

The thing I’m really not confident in is fake lashes - last time I used them was probably 2011 and having to carry round the little tube of eyelure glue…😂 I’m sure they’ve advanced since then. Alternatively, considering trying extensions.
my waxing lady recommended LVL, but I’m not convinced it’s for me as my lashes aren’t that long or thick naturally, and it’s expensive for something which might not work! Does anyone have any recommendations?

abc i like tea

Lipsticks - how do you keep your on? I don’t have dry lips but they seem to soak the lipstick up like a sponge.
It’s all in the prep- wear a lip mask or slap on loads of lip balm before you sleep. When doing skin care put on a lip mask then when you’re doing makeup wipe it off and apply lipstick

indeedjoy

Laser/electrolysis experts!
I have a laser session left on my upper lip but the weather has just been too hot and my face too tanned since like March. Guess the laser hair ‘cycle’ is broken anyway- should I just start my electrolysis journey and go back to the laser session in the winter? Or will it be pointless anyway, could ask the salon to swap for another body part :)
What machine are they using? As long as you haven’t had sun exposure for 2 weeks they can still do it

Pinkii

VIP Member
Can anyone recommend a relatively cheap but good vitamin C serum?

I am nearing the end of my current one, the mdik8 one which i love, but its quite pricey and i can’t justify the cost, I definitely notice the difference when i don’t use vitamin C so I don’t want to cut it out, just need a cheaper alternative.

P.s not the ordinary one though as that doesn’t agree with my skin

House of Tea

VIP Member
Absolutely this! I felt like this in my 20s, then I got pregnant and I’m still carrying the baby weight. NOW I have the round face I thought I had then 😂

Gua sha feels amazing even if you don’t think it actually makes much difference. My face ✨tingles✨ afterwards and it makes my headaches feel better.
Any particular one, and do you follow a routine?