Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Some People!

Chatty Member
My grey hair is coming in thick and fast. I’ve decided to embrace it because there’s no going back, but it looks so awful at the moment. Any advice on brightening it, making it look better while it transitions?
My top tip for greys is an occasional clarifying shampoo because a build up of _stuff_ of any sort can get quite visible on grey, and definitely dull it.
Recommending a purple shampoo/ conditioner is a bit trickier because it really depends on what else is going on with your hair.

Are you growing out a colour to let the grey come through?

My roots are coming through and my hair dye is fading and it's starting to bother me. I just go an all over brown & I'm wanting to try and match my natural colour. I'm pretty skint, do you think a box dye will be fine? I have very curly hair (3 b/c,) & my natural hair is dark dark brown so I feel like it will be forgiving of mistakes?
You can try one of the Moroccan Oil coloured masks. It’s a treatment that deposits colour while nourishing your hair. You can buy a travel pouch and see how you like it, before committing to a full size one.

Codiaeum

VIP Member
I loved the unscented Salt of the Earth deodorant for a couple of year and had a 1l refill bottle, but it somehow stopped working for me and I had some shirts where I couldn't get a funky smell out of anymore. Before that it was great against smell - obviously doesn't help against actually sweating, but that's also not what it was for.
I now use the Glassdoor natural deodorant, it's coconut-oil /shea butter based and great against the smell, but it keeps giving me painful bumps in my armpits, I suspect from clogging the pores. And since I'm so done with sweating like mad every day, especially as I have a couple of important events coming up where I'm usually soaked due to nerves just thinking about it, a good time to switch to the strong stuff. I did order some Nivea deo though, just in case I don't like the Yerka - I always had good experiences with their alu-free spray deos.

clueless

Chatty Member
Hi everyone, sorry to derail, I'm thinking of going for a mani/pedi and maybe getting gels done, though I'm a newbie, so would appreciate any advice! My local salon offers 'Evo Gel' and 'The Gel Bottle', does anyone know which is the best option? They also offer 'BioGel' for manicures but not pedicures.

YellowLadybird

Chatty Member
Has anyone found a setting spray that is satin/semi-matte without being drying? I don't get oily unless I put on makeup, but somehow that ends up making me really shiny and I want to control it, without ending up feeling dry and tight. My skin doesn't seem to tolerate primers, but I just want to keep my makeup in place!

Slaybutter

VIP Member
This is going to sound a bit mad, but I had a lot of those tiny tiny spots that give you a lot of texture on your face - I think caused by sweating during all the heat - and when I looked up what to do I saw people saying use Head and Shoulders!

I’ve tried it for about ten days, washing with H&S every other day… it’s worked!
washing hair or face tho?

indeedjoy

Has anyone ever used the Bobbi Brown Vitamin Enriched Eye Base for under eyes? I’ve heard really good things about the original face base but I’m interested in the one for eyes/under eyes. I’ve always had fine lines under my eyes as I’ve quite an expressive face and makeup would always settle in them, but now that I’m 30 I feel like it’s becoming more noticeable. I’ve tried different concealers and formulas and different powders but nothing makes much of a difference. Not looking for the lines to completely disappear obviously, just something to make them less obvious and not as ‘crepe’ looking.
I tried this but it’s quite fragranced . I personally love the ole henriksen banana bright under eye cream or the kiehls avocado eye cream

I keep seeing this Amanda Harrington tan recommended. I am not going to bother this year, autumn is in the air, but I am interested in the rose version next year. Here’s the chart, mentioning because of the vein thing. Anyone tried her products?

View attachment 1522142
I definitely recommend her products. I’ve been using them for over a year now. At 37 years old, I have finally found a fake tan that suits my colouring and looks natural. I especially recommend the face mist. (I’m natural rose)
I also have blue veins, but wear gold jewellery 😂

btw I also have her tanning drops, but I’d rather use the gradual tan and a bit of the mousse on top.

Spicegirl101

Chatty Member
I switched to gold when it became more fashionable but can’t afford to invest in real gold. I think my silver looks dated now. I’m fair skinned with blue veins but fake tan.

Zulkraa

VIP Member
It was a salon spray
Did you have anything on your skin? Moisturiser? SPF? If not I would contact the salon and ask them to put it right before you go away. If you aren’t comfortable with that here is a link to tan removers at boots:

I’ve not used any so I can’t say which is a good one to try. I’m sure someone will have more knowledge on how to remove it. Good luck 😊

Veebee123

Can anyone recommend a good curling wand? I bought the beauty works (ridiculously influenced!) and it’s rubbish doesn’t hold a curl at all, although apparently its good for hair with extensions….which I don’t have 🤣 I prefer a wand as opposed to a tong (with the clip part)

House of Tea

VIP Member
Microfibres turbans and towels. These really do smooth hair if you suffer from frizz, but without fail the towels start to smell mouldy after a few weeks. I invested in a special anti mould one https://britishbeautyblogger.com/hair/aquis-copper-sure-rapid-dry-hair-wrap/ - and whilst my hair was improved frizz wise, the same mouldy smell emerged on the towel, and on my hair. I washed it as per the instructions. Had to bin it. The whiff would not go.

I am about to try again, the frizz is getting to me. This time I am going to wash my hair, use a microfibre turban, dry the towel out, put it aside in the wash. I have bought 2 packs of 3, from Amazon, for the same price as the one in the link above. When I have used up the last one I am going to wash them without fabric softener which is usually the instruction.

Does anyone use these microfibre towels/turbans without the whiffy smell?

House of Tea

VIP Member
I am not really into big lashes but I had a gap for some reason. It came on suddenly and lashes wouldn’t grow in the gap. I used the TAlika one (this was years ago, there wasn’t that much choice then) and it did do the job. Lashes grew in the gap. I stopped using it once they grew back in the gap. Not a scientific example but I think it evidences that these serums do work.