Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Zulkraa

VIP Member
I kind of like pulling out my chin hairs esp the dark ones 😂 it’s become a satisfying habit.

• Haha
Reactions: 12

House of Tea

VIP Member
Where do you buy OPI from? I prefer buying make up in person so I can see it properly, and a quick google of ‘OPI stockists’ gives me physical stores (Boots and John Lewis) that I’ve never seen OPI in, and I live in a major city with big branches of those shops. I used to swear by Essie until I discovered that they’re owned further up the chain by Nestle.
I don’t buy any polish any more, stopped a few years ago just before covid. I gave them all away eventually!

The John Lewis in Oxford Street London and their branch in Sloane Square (Peter Jones) used to have a decent selection. They tended to have a few classic shades, and their latest collection. I haven’t bought any in the last few years, not sure if they are still stocking them. Another one in London was an upmarket pharmacy called John Bell & Croydon in Marylebone, they used to have a good selection. Not much use to you if you are not in London.

I was obsessed with nail polish - I was bloody ace at painting my nails. Crap at all other make up. Nails Inc Kensington base coat and top coat were a must as the bread in the sticky nail polish sandwich. Seche Vite thinner to degloop the polishes. Boots ultra nourishing polish remover. Zinc capsules to take internally to strengthen nails, better than any topical nail hardener. I bought a lot online,use to put the shade in Google images and look at a lot of the images to make sure I liked the shade. Didn’t make many mistakes. I once spent a couple of hours hunting down a rare Marc Jacobs polish in New York like a numpty - what a waste of valuable time. I got it but it ate into my holiday!

I bought some great polishes on Etsy. Or I use to merge different polishes to get a different shade.

Sorry, just going off down memory lane.

• Heart
Reactions: 11

EddyDarling

VIP Member
Just wanted to share with everyone that I've tried a new shampoo & conditioner that I bought in the Prime Day sale, it's the Pureology Strength Cure range.
My hair feels like I've just been to the salon, looks more groomed and I haven't even styled it more than a quick detangle after the shower.

• Heart
Maybe this can help someone.

When I was an university student I had to do a lot of walking because of how big the campus was. Trolleys were not always on time when you needed them the most.

I used to waste so much money on shoes because of how sweaty my feet was. I tried every single product advertised for feet odor, to keep feet dry etc. Nothing worked for me.

I started using panty liners under my arms and in my shoes. These kept me fresh the whole day. I used to waste so much money on shoes because of how sweaty my feet was. Also, I applied deodorant in my groins.

Sounds weird, but when you live in a hot-humid nation, you need to be creative.

This is such a good thread full of useful tips - I say this as I'm sitting here in a really old pair of shorts that are too big for me now, one of my OH's shirts, chipped nails and my hair up in a bun... today is not a day for me to be well groomed!

Im trying to decide whether to grow my hair out and let it be long again, or have it chopped a couple of inches to go back to the shoulder-length bob it has been for the last few years🤔and trying to tell myself that yes, I really can be bothered to curl it a bit, before going to the office.

• Heart

Olive16

This Thread is not good for my bank balance... 😂😂 I've just started a job as a TA (after 5 years off to raise kiddies!) - having lived in Leggings and Hoodies - it's time for me, to be me! 😊 All the advice on Thread #1 & #2 has been invaluable! Just wondered how those with kids and Full Time work find the time to look after yourself? I'm just tired all the time... which results in me being and looking an absolute Slob!?

• Heart

Scorpihoe

VIP Member
Such gorgeous hair 😍 any tips?
Thanks so much 🥺🥺♥ The night before hair wash day I smoother my roots in argan oil. I shampoo twice to get all the oil out, then I blowdry it and use olaplex number 7 on the ends. I also brush my hair multiple times a day (I don’t know if this does anything but I just find it therapeutic 😂) ♥

• Heart

MissTeddy

VIP Member
I read every single page of both these threads and spent £200 on asos and Amazon this morning because of it!

my contribution is;
Tape beauty bay extensions, last about a year and get maintenance every 8 weeks, it actually makes it take less time to do my hair daily as it disguises my hard to manage natural hair. I’ve tried pretty much every method and tapes are easily my favourite.
Ombré brow tattooed topped up every 2 years- so worth it and they last ages! I got mine done originally with Clarissa Stephania and love them.
Fillers once a year- 1ml lips, 1.8ml cheeks, 1ml chin and about 0.2ml tip lift in my nose- makes a nice subtle difference to my face and saves me contouring on the rare occasions I do full make up
Botox- only had it done once but planning on doing it every 4/6 months- 2 area brow lift- more a preventative measure!
Lash extensions every 2 weeks- makes me feel so much more put together- also I have a ridiculous looking eye mask for sleeping which has room for the lashes which helps them last longer
Pedicure every 3 months- always white varnish
Acrylic nails every 3 weeks- always get natural pink colour stiletto ones
Crest white strips are amazing for whitening teeth!
Laser hair removal on my underarms and Brazilian- had about 5 treatments so far, made such a difference! I struggled with ingrown hairs on my bikini line before and my body doesn’t like waxes.
For skincare, Paula’s choice liquid exfoliator is really good. Also Revolution do their own version of the Mario Badescu drying lotion which is great for spots. I use the Kiel's oil free moisturiser which I also think is great. Lush lip scrub is also fab, I use it every day before I use my lip oil. On holiday or when my skin is extra dry, I use the Skin Food moisturiser in the green bottle- only ever overnight though, it makes me look very greasy but is great for extra moisture then wiped off when I wake up.
For hair, the TIGI oatmeal and honey shampoo and conditioner is great for mid-range. Smells amazing too.
Daily for work I just use a tinted moisturiser, brow gel and coconut lip oil (the shein one is actually really great).
Cloud 9 extra wide straighteners are so worth the cost imo, I straighten then curl my hair after I wash it once a week. The ColourWow style on steroids spray really helps them hold until the next wash day.
For makeup, honestly the Revolution foundation is the best out of any I’ve tried, even high end ones. I also really rate the RCMA no colour powder, and urban decay primer. Charlotte tilbury setting spray also works well for me.

Also I think I’m the only person ever that doesn’t rate the Brazilian Bum Bum cream or their body spray- smells lovely but just doesn’t last at all.

Lastly I go on holiday quite often and tan well but I do use sunbeds in between, the Australian gold tan accelerator is great. I know, they’re awful for you, I try to keep it to a minimum.

I second what others have said about having an organised/clean house, car and handbag- makes me feel a lot less chaotic.

I sound mega high maintenance but honestly I feel so much more organised and put together in myself when I do all these things!

Now, I have questions… does anyone have any hidden gems for body acne, specifically shoulders? I have one patch that just won’t budge! Also I have a couple of marks on my chest from dermal piercings I’ve had before, any good tips on how to make them heal faster other than bio oil? Also, I use face wipes every day before bed, is there a better alternative? And finally, the best heat protection spray for hair? Thanks to anyone who can help!!
I feel like I would look a hot mess next to you. I would love to have a regime like this but I can’t afford the maintenance.

happygirl4699

just wanted to say that teeth whitening strips are SO bad for your teeth in the long term. Maybe once if you’re in desperate need to whiten it but still 🥴. it increases sensitivity and may lead to you needing to replace some teeth. Visit a dentist and even though it’s slightly pricey they’ll do it safely and properly. I’m a dentist and when I saw the teeth whitening chat on here I gasped 🤣
I’m a dental nurse and myself and many colleagues, friends and family have used Crest Whitening Strips for years. Never head of anyone having any problems with sensitivity or any other side effects. Especially never seen any patients or anyone I know of needing to replace teeth because of whitening strips 😱

not_influenced

VIP Member
I’ll be going by plane alone and then very likely will be eating in company of colleagues most of the time, apart from maybe breakfast. I fear that I’ll look really frazzled by end of the day, especially if there’s no time to go back to the hotel in between.
I know it’s a bit stupid, but I’m self-conscious about my skin and all that and even though that trip is still two weeks away, I’ve been stressing out about what I should wear and not getting any pimples since they told me about that…:censored:
Alot of great tips posted by PP,
-For smelling clothes I'd decant some Lenor crease ease- easy freshen up
-For travel i use Estee lauder long wear and keep lippy topped up, or a long wear foundation/concealer suitable for your skin type
-hair, dry shampoo works wonders or styles you can practice and learn to craft. My personal favourite is "sleek bun" i.e greasy and tied back!
-i pack basic and interchangeable, weekday paper trousers- wear with blouse during day and Tshirt/tank at night, heels during day, Veja runners in evening.
- accessories really change an outfit.
-tinted moisturizer/tan is great and makes you look more awake

• Heart
Reactions: 10

CallMeHollywood

VIP Member
I’m going to see Michael Palin in Nottingham tonight so I’m looking forward to dressing up a little. I’m going to do my makeup and hair properly and I’m going to spend a couple of hours sorting my hands and gelling my nails.

• Heart

StillLucilleBluth

VIP Member
Does anyone have any tips on willpower?! I am struggling with my sweet tooth. I put on weight slowly but once it’s on it’s so hard to get off, and I know I need to stop the gradual gain but I keep saying “oh well I’ve got PMS / I’ve had a hard day / it’s a special occasion / I don’t see xyz person often” as an excuse to eat sweet stuff / dessert and it’s just silly! I’m tall so I just look so ungainly when I’m heavier.

cee-bee

VIP Member
Oh you’re really not getting much protein though! You need it for many many reasons, not just hair related. Could you maybe add a scoop of protein powder to your porridge? I love oats too (I’d starve without them tbh!) but realised I needed to round them out. I hate cooking and esp cooking meat (cannot handle the smell) so rely on protein supplements, canned beans/lentils and precooked chicken 😋
peas are also an often overlooked source of plant protein! I chuck frozen peas in everything now because I’m veggie and they’re cheap and easy.

Curries, stews, pastas, soups, salads, roasts - they go with literally everything

spinach and mushrooms are also good sources of protein and easy to chuck in a lot of meals. (Most veggie meat substitutes are made from mushroom protein)

if I’m getting sick of eating porridge, I’ll chuck some oats, spinach, protein powder and fruit (usually frozen mango, kiwi, banana) to make a smoothie. Chia seeds are good to chuck in for protein too.

• Heart

EddyDarling

VIP Member
Primark have some smart but loose fitting and elasticated waist trousers in. I got a beige and black pair. AND THEY HAVE POCKETS.

I also splurged on a pair of pink doc marten sandals today, I might actually look like an adult if I'm not careful.

• Heart

EddyDarling

VIP Member
ive got very fine hair too, I’m lucky in that at least my hair is fairly thick to compensate! But it definitely is prone to being limp and lacking in volume.

I’ve tried a whole host of things, including washing less, tonics, thickening shampoo etc. After 10 years I’ve come to the conclusion that my hair strands are always going to be thin and I’ve got to work with that.

for example, I wear my hair in braids a lot now and pull out the strands to add volume;

and then obviously drying hair at the roots and leaving in rollers creates volume.

I’ve found eating healthy (tons of green veg and pulses) really does start to make a difference
Perfect season for green veggies too. Little tip for anyone upping their veggie intake, vitamin c helps your body take in plant based iron better.

I'm getting some new glasses today

• Heart

House of Tea

VIP Member
Hair is such a problem isn’t it? You would think we would have evolved not to have any now. It would save such a lot of faff and money.

• Haha