Volodymyr Zelenskyy the President of Ukraine

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I caught an interview with him on CNN last night where he was speaking perfect English, not sure if it was filmed before or after the invasion because I missed the start of it. But he speaks perfect, fluent English!

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I was going to pull a flounce one niner in the other thread after being called 'distateful' and 'shameful' for posting in this thread (I think sitting back and allowing genocide is pretty distateful, but what do I know), but it's really pissed me off.

Zelenskyy has very carefully and cleverly built this image - there's a reason for the short sleeves, and why all the body building etc wasn't scrubbed from his instagram. Putin manipulated his image to seem a strong, powerful leader - the horse riding, sports etc, and so Zelenskyy has proved him a liar. There's a reason he's posited himself as a 'family man' beyond his obvious love for them - it allies into being the father of his people. Someone people can turn to, and who they trust will lead them. It's very clever, and being denying his agency in this matter, then you are allowing something else to be stripped from him. You don't think that this is driving Putin mad, and the original comments about it's being wrong didn't originate from some Putin bot?

Plus, and this goes to supercilious who think themselves above such things: people have gravitated to the powerful for all of human history (look at shag-meister Boris). People went mad collecting Nelson memorabilia, Romans bought clay busts of their great military leaders, look at the way the Spartans carefully cultivated their image. Even Robespierre, a man described as ill-favoured at best had an obsessed fan group who made BTS stans look rational. There have been cartoons and songs and poetry about war since the day of time - I can show you some cracking Gillray ones, and Bruce Bairnsfather in WWI, plus the freaking Illiad.

Zelenskyy knows what will happen to him. He knows, deep inside Russia will win, because the West is going to allow it to happen. But he's hoping to grind out time, and to keep his image and that of his country in the forefront, because that's the only way he can try and gain help. To try and save Ukraine in the long run. Give shattered survivors something heroic to cling to.

So: do your patriotic duty!

Slava Ukraini!

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
I was going to pull a flounce one niner in the other thread after being called 'distateful' and 'shameful' for posting in this thread (I think sitting back and allowing genocide is pretty distateful, but what do I know), but it's really pissed me off.

Zelenskyy has very carefully and cleverly built this image - there's a reason for the short sleeves, and why all the body building etc wasn't scrubbed from his instagram. Putin manipulated his image to seem a strong, powerful leader - the horse riding, sports etc, and so Zelenskyy has proved him a liar. There's a reason he's posited himself as a 'family man' beyond his obvious love for them - it allies into being the father of his people. Someone people can turn to, and who they trust will lead them. It's very clever, and being denying his agency in this matter, then you are allowing something else to be stripped from him. You don't think that this is driving Putin mad, and the original comments about it's being wrong didn't originate from some Putin bot?

Plus, and this goes to supercilious who think themselves above such things: people have gravitated to the powerful for all of human history (look at shag-meister Boris). People went mad collecting Nelson memorabilia, Romans bought clay busts of their great military leaders, look at the way the Spartans carefully cultivated their image. Even Robespierre, a man described as ill-favoured at best had an obsessed fan group who made BTS stans look rational. There have been cartoons and songs and poetry about war since the day of time - I can show you some cracking Gillray ones, and Bruce Bairnsfather in WWI, plus the freaking Illiad.

Zelenskyy knows what will happen to him. He knows, deep inside Russia will win, because the West is going to allow it to happen. But he's hoping to grind out time, and to keep his image and that of his country in the forefront, because that's the only way he can try and gain help. To try and save Ukraine in the long run. Give shattered survivors something heroic to cling to.

Slava Ukraini!
I wanted to like this until you said russia will win 😭

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 19
Did you report those posts? If not please do as it’s against tattle rules.

Reactions: 9

Yel

Just report if someone is being a dick, it was and we delt with it. Don't flounce over someone that virtually nobody agreed with and was called out!

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I saw the posts branding this thread “distasteful.” I’ll be honest, I started this thread because there was a lot of talk of President Zelenskyy on the main war thread which could be seen as derailing/taking away from the serious tone of the original thread. So I figured people should have their own space to show their appreciation of him. It’s not simply about “fancying” him (I know many people have said that they do). It’s about sharing our respect for him and I don’t believe that’s distasteful at all. Some people need humour as a coping mechanism during scary times - I am one of them. I’m not laughing at President Zelenskyy and I don’t think anyone else is either; I have the utmost respect for him and know that should the worst happen then the jokes will cease and there will be an outpouring of grief on this thread for such a brave man. 💙💛

• Heart
Reactions: 41
I caught an interview with him on CNN last night where he was speaking perfect English, not sure if it was filmed before or after the invasion because I missed the start of it. But he speaks perfect, fluent English!
Just as long as he can scream my name 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 12
I know, it's heartbreaking. I had a talk last night with someone I did my MA in, and she agreed that's why Zelenskyy is pushing so hard. He needs to keep at is the forefront of people's minds, keep the pressure on otherwise it'll fade from consciousness. There'll be something else that grabs the headlines. There are several posters in that thread that I am very careful not to interact with at all, because I've noticed them casually alluding to antisemititic conspiracy theories about what the war is actually about, but not actually saying anything outloud that I could report them for. Or 'just saying' that Ukraine should surrender, and get it over with them, that this is not worth the battle or the risk. Hmm.

I really want to hope that they'll win, but experience suggests otherwise. At the very least it'll bloody and brutal.

I think, that Zelenskyy knows that the West have worst scenario plans - that Ukraine falls, but hope that the act of taking it weakens Putin enough that there can be regime change, but that this has to come from Russians.

I was reading a poll by the Levada Center in Russia after the Crimean invasion of 2014 said that Russians were overwhelmingly in favour of it - over 70%, but that only 3-5% would accept it affecting them, say in sanctions or dead Russians. They would not pay the price (it's part of the duality of Russia).

I think that's what the West are banking on. But every night, and it's really stupid, I say a little prayer to keep them safe another night.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
He's basically like Churchill was during WWII. The one figurehead empowering, inspiring and keeping morale up in the face of great threat. God I hope he gets through this, him and the Ukrainian people!

• Heart
Reactions: 20
He could have done a Charles De Galle and fled Ukraine to rule from a country of safety. The US even offered to air lift him out and he refused, despite knowing how much danger he is in. I’m going to be blunt here, I’ll be amazed if he makes it out of this alive. That is the cold hard truth. He knows that himself though and whatever happens he will be a hero and an icon.

• Sad
Reactions: 25
He's basically like Churchill was during WWII. The one figurehead empowering, inspiring and keeping morale up in the face of great threat. God I hope he gets through this, him and the Ukrainian people!
He's just such a hero. There was a picture I saw last night of the way he and his wife were looking at each other in the before times, and it was so lovely. They obviously fancy the pants of each other, and it was so nice to see a happy family, who like each other.

And all other Ukrainians fighting for their home. I'm in awe, and I feel so hopeless watching them.

Edit: Worth keeping an eye of Levada Center, they're publishing opinion polls on Putin's popularity

Reactions: 15

Slava Ukraini!
The inappropriate behavior was questioned on other platforms but know the Ukrainians themselves would fully support this. They've been trolling #fuckputin for years over this stuff; so let's just continue giving #zerofucks

I live in a state that homes 1/5 of our military bases/ships/subs/bombs/storage/nuclear power & production. No time for being delicate BC no matter what the media calls it it's WW3 in all but name.

🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦

Reactions: 9
The inappropriate behavior was questioned on other platforms but know the Ukrainians themselves would fully support this. They've been trolling #fuckputin for years over this stuff; so let's just continue giving #zerofucks

I live in a state that homes 1/5 of our military bases/ships/subs/bombs/storage/nuclear power & production. No time for being delicate BC no matter what the media calls it it's WW3 in all but name.

🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦
This heart knows what it wants, and that's a Zelenskyy body pillow for Christmas. Hold me tight, tiny dancer indeed.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 31
The only way they'll win in is if they go full nuclear, then I'd venture to say no one wins.
I understand what @Pinotsgoats is try to convey; that Z is a doomed martyr regardless based on history's lessons.
That's a bit myopic IMHO. The kill squad failed and Ukraine is still standing... "It's not over until you-know-who-sings" as we like to say on That Other Thread.

This heart knows what it wants, and that's a Zelenskyy body pillow for Christmas. Hold me tight, tiny dancer indeed.
If we survive WW3 that's a lucrative idea; let's start sewing! 😹🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.