Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

martaS

VIP Member
Some reviews lads:
- Violife "Cheddar"
1643141637487.png

Actually nice. Doesn't taste like Cheddar-Cheddar, more like a cheese puff/cheese flavoured Cheetos with a slight aftertaste of margarine but it was quite decent in sandwiches and as a snack. If you grate it on the fine grater (like you would with a hard cheese such as parmesan), and put on top of hot pasta, it will melt a bit.
- Violife Smoked Slices
1643141866691.png

Only got it tonight but I keep going back to it while cooking dinner. Similar flavour to the one above plus the smoky flavour, which is as strong as you'd expect from the dairy version this is trying to "impersonate". Again, slightly margerine aftertaste but you get used to it. I think it'll be nice in sandwiches but will have to confirm that once I tried.
- Aldi No beef strips
1643142062966.png

Nice but not on their own. Not enough teriyaki flavouring on them and since they contain wheat protein, they have this slight sweet taste of wheat flour? However, we drenched them in some more teriyaki sauce and had as a strir fry with a pile of lovely vegetables.
- Aldi no chicken tikka
1643142275580.png

Good texture, not too dry but barely seasoned at all! And I don't even mean a tikka flavour, they're not even salted enough! Texture is similar to Quorn chicken pieces (non-frozen) but do bear in mind that some Quorn ones are not vegan. Again, we had it in a stir-fry with veg and noodles and extra sauce (we used chow mein - but only because you couldn't taste the tikka at all so wasn't worried about the flavours clashing).
- Wicked Kitchen Spicy Coconut & Rice Noodles

1643142550496.png

Guys, I tried cooking them like someone here recommended. More water, in proper bowl, in a macrowave, a good few minutes, stirring every coupl of mins. Didn't do the job :( The noodles were too soft in the end and the sauce/soup was still quite starchy, if you know what I mean? Like not fully cooked. I was at work that day, by myself all day and it was so cold in the office and I was very much looking forward to eating these and they just didn't do it.
- Made a sort-of spaghetti carbonara using This isn't bacon lardons, mushrooms and this cream:
1643142907683.png

It was tasty, I made this recipe before using traditional cream so I knew the lardons would work but it made me gassy! Sorry for TMI. I think the cream has some lentil protein in it and I wondered if that was what made me fart-y 😂 Because when I had this previously with dairy cream, I didn't have that issue. So maybe be careful. The uncooked cream was quite tasty and I can see it work in deserts and bakes.

So a mixed bag. This is not the best veganuary I have done, I don't think I have ever before relied on so much ready made food which isn't the healthiest. I cooked a few dishes from scratch but not as many as in previous years but also I started a new job where I am working longer hours than before so it's just so much easier to have some meat alternatives or pot noodles 😂

We also bought these today:
1643143442724.png

1643143492503.png

Will report back once tried ;)

• Heart
Reactions: 11

shadowcat5

VIP Member
Be mindful of Lidl and Asda if you’re vegan. So far some of their veganuary products are vegetarian not vegan

• Wow
Reactions: 11

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
Just here to recommend this absolutely banging plant based vegan curry takeaway from Waitrose. It could feed 3/4 or 2 greedy sods like me and Mr B 😂 Absolutely beautiful no chicken korma and the veggie tika masala was *chef's kiss*. Only feedback I'd have is that I was disappointed there were no spiced onions or mango chutney but that's a minor quibble.

I've seen complaints on other veggie groups saying it's really pricey but we'd probably pay at least double that for a takeaway from our local Indian place. This price meant we could buy some poncey craft beers to go with them too 🙊

Would highly recommend if you have a Waitrose near you.

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 10

Piff paff puff

VIP Member
No real butter left on the shelf at lidl so picked this one up instead. Thought it would taste of coconut since listed on the ingredients. It doesn't. It doesn't taste weird. It doesn't taste like traditional butter or of anything to me. It's a keeper. Won't buy real butter ever again. Wish I'd known about it sooner. Also it's not like concrete even when not in the fridge unlike my butter always was 😄
Been a veggie all my life almost and I'd be vegan tomorrow if I could just find a good alternative cheese and eggs. I have vegan powdered egg but I do like a poached egg 😄
I prefer vegan dishes, love me some healthy fresh food 😋
IMG_20220318_160839.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 9

JustmeKC

VIP Member
I’m not sure if this is the right thread for this question - had a look and didn’t see a more general veganism one. But basically I’m feeling like I am going to have to go fully vegan. Reluctantly, if I’m honest.

I’m vegetarian for animal welfare reasons. I find it very easy although I do miss fish. But increasingly I realise that it doesn’t really make sense to reject meat, but to still buy and eat milk and eggs. Thing is, I don’t really want to stop eating these things. I eat so many eggs. I love baking, I love butter and I love ice cream more than life itself. My family and friends can easily cope with me being veggie but vegan is a whole other level. I’d be OK at home but eating outside of the house would be much harder, I assume. And then what about leather? And wool? It’s a total lifestyle change. Argh, it’s hard.

Did anyone else have these thoughts? Do I just need to suck it up and take the plunge?

ETA I must also stress that I’m not commenting on anyone else’s choices - not to say one is better or anything, it’s just a personal thing I’m wrestling with.
I miss dairy ice cream and cheese as a vegan so I feel your pain but for me it was a case of suck it up and get on with it. I had decided to be vegan so that was that. I bake lots, people can’t tell the difference between some of my vegan cakes and non vegan versions. Eating out is harder, and I don’t class one vegan item on a menu as an ‘option’ but that’s another discussion 🤣
As for leather etc, I chose to use what I had to the end of its life and replace it with vegan when I can (I have never been in the financial position to just bin things for fun!). I accept gifts from people that may not be vegan as they are bought with good intentions and love, some of them I just regift or donate, some I have used. Make up etc was a gradual transition, and I found most of the brands I used were vegan anyway. I’m sure my mother in law has fed me ‘vegan’ meals with egg once or twice but she’s in her 80s, veganism is new to her and I know she’s trying her best and this would have been at the beginning when I met her, now I feel fairly certain it doesn’t happen.

To me veganism is about doing your best, I’m sure the vegan society mentions something about “as far as is practicable” so even if it takes you 10 years to be fully vegan, every step in the right direction is just that.

• Heart
Reactions: 8

no-no

VIP Member
These are a nice dessert and on offer £1 for 2 in Tesco (usually £2). I bought 4 boxes as they have good dates.

1643368110497.jpeg

A woman with an embarrassed bf was actually shouting around the meat free aisle “why do they want it to look like meat, does me head innnn” 🤣 it was like seeing a Daily Mail comment brought to life.

• Haha

EddyDarling

VIP Member
No, no wraps or rolls. He likes oat cakes or rice cakes, but only with peanut butter which isn’t allowed. I’m going to try that nut-free nut butter but I’m fairly sure he won’t like it because it seems like quite a ‘dry’ texture and he prefers the oily nut butters like Meridian 🙈

I’ve tried sending sandwiches, assuming/hoping he would eat them if the other kids in class did, but he wouldn’t and then was grumpy and hungry at pickup.
What about pumpkin seed butter? It's our standard one at home and I make it myself. Just lightly roast them until the seeds are shiny (oils come out) and then, excuse the technical wording, blend them to fuck.

• Haha

Millennial Pink

VIP Member
I've never had a reaction to Quorn or anything else. Quorn frustrate me as so many of their products aren't vegan, I don't buy from them often. Some of the supermarket own brands are comparable imo. Aldi's plant menu range is quite well priced.

no-no

VIP Member
They were 2 for £4 but all cleared out of my Tesco. Some new wicked bits in. Looking forward to seeing all their new items in store (I know it’s processed but the odd treat won’t hurt)

C1DD88EA-23EC-4CBF-B358-E15D7C814F21.jpeg

CA8B908F-2A6E-4A11-A688-062CCB71FC3F.jpeg

• Heart

martaS

VIP Member
A few new-in & recently tried.

We had these when there were on offer in Tesco (normally £4.50, I think they were half price). Rich, dark chocolate, very indulgent and just the right amount of sweet.
1688496200326.png

I only picked these up today, but the ingredients sound pretty good (there is often sugar in these salad toppers, I mean seriously, why would I want sugar in my salad?) and there were 2 or 3 different types available (not sure if all vegan). Tesco.
1688496467790.png

1688496534352.png

I am not sure how much "better" this one is compared with the normal yeast flakes but I am running out of my usual (also engevita but not the extra vit D one) but the summer is not really spoiling us this year so a little extra vit D won't hurt. It is smaller than the normal one though so perhaps no the best value for money.
1688496799156.png

Haven't tried these yet as these are brand new - I haven't had the best experience with fake beef pieces so my expectations are not super high. Normally, fake beef mince or meatballs are very nice but strips are tricky, often dry and under seasoned. Will report back on these.
1688496978569.png

These ones from Aldi are edible but not special. They're supposed to be teriyaki flavoured but I found that I had to use an extra sauce pouch 😳
1688497704598.png

Speaking of Aldi though, these are excellent. Good texture, the chilli sauce is quite authentic, kinda chunky but in a nice way. You only get 7 or so in the pack so just about enough to share for two.
1688498286393.png

These are nice. Nothing special, just a decent veggie sausages that don't break the bank. Taste a bit like bacon rashers snacks. Texture is nice.
1688498461245.png

AND!!! You can now buy basic tofu in Aldi, it's less than a pound too. It's so nice to be able to get tofu from Aldi and don't have to go to anoter shop especially.
1688498710026.png

Has anyone else tried some new stuff or seen new exciting products being launched?

Reactions: 7

martaS

VIP Member
New in Tesco
IMG_20220421_172435~2.jpg

Will report once I've tried, quite likely tomorrow ☺
(Expectations are high!)

• Wow

Who Knows?WhoCares?

100 imperfect vegans are better than 10 perfect vegans.

Thank you for all you are doing, and please don't put pressure on yourself. We are all doing the best we can in a difficult world right now.

• Heart
The meal deals in my local shop don’t do a vegan option included in it, and is double the price for a wrap with falafel. Absolutely takes the piss.

• Angry
  • Sad

EddyDarling

VIP Member
Lidl Vegan Magnums and their non dairy Ben and Jerry's dupe are the absolute tits and I love them!
Oatly is my fave "Brand", I like their Whole fresh and Semi Fresh milks as well as the yoghurts.
It's not the cheapest but sod it.
My kids have Mighty Pea m.lkology or original mighty pea unsweetened as it's good for protein and well fortified

• Heart

martaS

VIP Member
I realise I'm late to the party but I always assumed UPF weren't great for anyone in the long, regardless of whether they ate meat or not? Can anyone sum up the book everyone is talking about in one paragraph? Or direct me to somewhere that does?
I haven't read the book but there was a bunch of articles on the Guardian about UPF recently (possibly triggered by the book?) and it made me want to cut down on fake meat etc. I don't eat a lot of it - twice a week tops, sometimes I go a couple weeks without any - but I'd like to have even less. Instead make more food from scratch using beans, nuts etc. But would also be keen to read someone's recap of the book
---
I’ve been making this one (but leaving out the bay seasoning and adding in more veg like celery and red pepper): https://jessicainthekitchen.com/chickpea-tuna-sandwich-vegan/

But it does call for vegan mayo which is a UPF so I might try the Forks Over Knives one soon as it has great reviews and uses tahini and other ingredients instead. This low-UPF diet a work in progress!

This overnight oats recipe is high protein and no protein powder needed: https://plantbasedjess.com/high-protein-overnight-oats-vegan-no-protein-powder/

I also made a deliciously Ella mushroom pasta last night that used silken tofu to make the cream sauce, so that’s another high protein option.

If you have any recipes you like, please share too :)
You can make an aquafaba based homemade mayo! It will last 1-2 weeks in the fridge so if you like mayo it's definitely worth making. I can't recommend an English recipe but can translate a recipe from a vegan cookbook by an author from my home country. Please let me know if anyone would be interested 😊
---
Is anyone else cutting down on the ultra processed stuff? If I have one more tofu scramble 🥴 I miss this sausage and bacon butties for breakfast and don’t like sweet stuff (I class anything with milk sweet). I also need to keep my protein intake high. Fed up.
I made this mince using below recipe, it has a really good texture and once made, you can use it in a bolognese, wraps, and other dishes! I think I will be trying it in a lasagna when it gets a little colder, or in a moussaka 😋 I also think that once you've made it a couple of times using the recipe, you can start playing with the seasonings a bit, make it Mexican inspired and use in tacos, use Mediterranean herbs or Indian spices etc. Options are endless 😊 I blended half of the tofu block and crumbled the other half with hands to have different size bits for more interesting texture.
IMG-20230228-WA0009.jpg

Last edited:
  • Heart

martaS

VIP Member
Be mindful of Lidl and Asda if you’re vegan. So far some of their veganuary products are vegetarian not vegan
So cheeky!

Speaking of Lidl though, I cracked open this little bad boy today. Very nice! I am veggie but do Veganuary every year. This is crumbly, melts in the mouth, tastes little salty and doesn't have a coconut aftertaste (looking at you Violife!). I had it sprinkled on my avocado toast this morning ☺
1672662395879.png

• Heart

bourb0nbiscuits

Chatty Member
I was a veggie and did veganuary a few years ago thinking I’d go back to being veggie on feb 1st 😆 but I found it ok so just carried on.

With eating out, most places have at least one vegan option now and when I’ve been to small independent cafes etc when I’ve asked if they can for example leave something out of a dish to make it vegan they have always been accommodating.

If I’m going maybe on a course or something
like that for work I take a packed lunch in case there’s nothing available.

With things like leather shoes or wool jumper’s since being vegan I haven’t bought anything new but if there’s things I already had I just used them until they needed replacing then bought a vegan version. Toiletries& make up are another thing I carried on using until they were finished then bought vegan.

Hope this is helpful 🌱

• Heart

Alexaj

VIP Member
So sad isn’t it. It really is awful I’d love to adopt some chickens that have been saved
This is what I do :) They arrive so scrawny looking with half their feathers missing (one had a limp as she'd been handled too roughly by the farmer). Honestly it's so heartwarming (and heartbreaking) to see them finally fat and healthy looking. They genuinely enjoy the open space despite being cooped up for the first 18 months of their lives.

• Heart