Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
A few new-in & recently tried.

We had these when there were on offer in Tesco (normally £4.50, I think they were half price). Rich, dark chocolate, very indulgent and just the right amount of sweet.
1688496200326.png

I only picked these up today, but the ingredients sound pretty good (there is often sugar in these salad toppers, I mean seriously, why would I want sugar in my salad?) and there were 2 or 3 different types available (not sure if all vegan). Tesco.
1688496467790.png

1688496534352.png

I am not sure how much "better" this one is compared with the normal yeast flakes but I am running out of my usual (also engevita but not the extra vit D one) but the summer is not really spoiling us this year so a little extra vit D won't hurt. It is smaller than the normal one though so perhaps no the best value for money.
1688496799156.png

Haven't tried these yet as these are brand new - I haven't had the best experience with fake beef pieces so my expectations are not super high. Normally, fake beef mince or meatballs are very nice but strips are tricky, often dry and under seasoned. Will report back on these.
1688496978569.png

These ones from Aldi are edible but not special. They're supposed to be teriyaki flavoured but I found that I had to use an extra sauce pouch 😳
1688497704598.png

Speaking of Aldi though, these are excellent. Good texture, the chilli sauce is quite authentic, kinda chunky but in a nice way. You only get 7 or so in the pack so just about enough to share for two.
1688498286393.png

These are nice. Nothing special, just a decent veggie sausages that don't break the bank. Taste a bit like bacon rashers snacks. Texture is nice.
1688498461245.png

AND!!! You can now buy basic tofu in Aldi, it's less than a pound too. It's so nice to be able to get tofu from Aldi and don't have to go to anoter shop especially.
1688498710026.png

Has anyone else tried some new stuff or seen new exciting products being launched?

Reactions: 7
Thanks Marta for the reviews 😊

The Aldi battered sausage is great with chippy chips, Asda have got some good picnic/salad things like porkless pies & vegan picnic eggs too I’ll post again if I can think of anything else.

Reactions: 3
Thanks Marta for the reviews 😊

The Aldi battered sausage is great with chippy chips, Asda have got some good picnic/salad things like porkless pies & vegan picnic eggs too I’ll post again if I can think of anything else.
Interesting! I was never keen on normal scotch eggs so never have the need to try vegan ones but I have a picnic this summer, I might give them a go 😏

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Interesting! I was never keen on normal scotch eggs so never have the need to try vegan ones but I have a picnic this summer, I might give them a go 😏
Me either! They look revolting but I really enjoy the vegan ones, nice as a snack😁

The ASDA vegan scotch eggs are part of a 2 for £3 deal at the moment.

Between myself and Mr B we are eating two packs a week 🤦‍♀️

• Haha
  • Wow
I’ve got the Aldi salt and pepper ‘chicken’ skewers to try this week, I’m hoping they taste as nice as they look

Reactions: 2
Biscuits you are my kind of ( I’m assuming, maybe wrongly) Gal! 😆
No, no you're right. Gal here but wouldn't have been offended either way 😊

We've got a family picnic this weekend so have doubled my usual order of these bad boys. Can also recommend the sweet potato falafel that's in the same offer 👍

• Heart
I've had hemp milk in tea before and it was lovely.

I can't remember noticing hemp milk in the supermarkets recently, it's probably quite expensive too.

Is anyone else cutting down on the ultra processed stuff? If I have one more tofu scramble 🥴 I miss this sausage and bacon butties for breakfast and don’t like sweet stuff (I class anything with milk sweet). I also need to keep my protein intake high. Fed up.

• Heart
Is anyone else cutting down on the ultra processed stuff? If I have one more tofu scramble 🥴 I miss this sausage and bacon butties for breakfast and don’t like sweet stuff (I class anything with milk sweet). I also need to keep my protein intake high. Fed up.
Yes, I am! I don’t really like the fake meats anyway but my kids miss them.

I’ve been making different tofu recipes, chickpea ‘tuna’ sandwiches, using chickpea or lentil pasta, falafel salads, and more things like quinoa and brown rice.

For breakfast, we’re having lots of porridge or overnight oats with chia and hemp seeds and peanut butter, and sometimes silken tofu pancakes.

Since you don’t like sweet things, what about an omelette with silken tofu or chickpea flour?

• Heart
Yes, I am! I don’t really like the fake meats anyway but my kids miss them.

I’ve been making different tofu recipes, chickpea ‘tuna’ sandwiches, using chickpea or lentil pasta, falafel salads, and more things like quinoa and brown rice.

For breakfast, we’re having lots of porridge or overnight oats with chia and hemp seeds and peanut butter, and sometimes silken tofu pancakes.

Since you don’t like sweet things, what about an omelette with silken tofu or chickpea flour?
Thanks, some great ideas there! I’ve been meaning to make chickpea tuna for years, have you got a trusted recipe you could share? My cupboard is full of biona, pulses etc. that I buy when I’m feeling motivated but it requires effort so I end up buying little bits of the processed then regret it. I have cut it down to just a couple a week instead of every day. I say I don’t like ‘milky stuff’ but overnight oats are fab and I could add protein powder so yes, good shout.

• Heart
Thanks, some great ideas there! I’ve been meaning to make chickpea tuna for years, have you got a trusted recipe you could share? My cupboard is full of biona, pulses etc. that I buy when I’m feeling motivated but it requires effort so I end up buying little bits of the processed then regret it. I have cut it down to just a couple a week instead of every day. I say I don’t like ‘milky stuff’ but overnight oats are fab and I could add protein powder so yes, good shout.
I’ve been making this one (but leaving out the bay seasoning and adding in more veg like celery and red pepper): https://jessicainthekitchen.com/chickpea-tuna-sandwich-vegan/

But it does call for vegan mayo which is a UPF so I might try the Forks Over Knives one soon as it has great reviews and uses tahini and other ingredients instead. This low-UPF diet a work in progress!

This overnight oats recipe is high protein and no protein powder needed: https://plantbasedjess.com/high-protein-overnight-oats-vegan-no-protein-powder/

I also made a deliciously Ella mushroom pasta last night that used silken tofu to make the cream sauce, so that’s another high protein option.

If you have any recipes you like, please share too :)

• Heart
Reactions: 4