Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
You might get lucky in SuperValu, some of them seem to have it. It’s v frustrating that once we cross the border our options open up so much more!
Ah okay, great, thank you! Some of the SuperValu stores also have the Applewood cheese - just not any of the ones close to me 😭 I’ll keep my eyes peeled though!

Reactions: 1
Is it this one @EddyDarling ? My two have Oatly Barista but the fussy 3yo seems to only want to eat carbs and fruit lately so I need to get more protein into him! Does it taste nice? I imagine it to be gritty and earthy but I’m sure it’s not 🤣
View attachment 1474397
I love the Mighty Pea milks! I'm currently using the Semi and it's been great in porridge, cereal, smoothies, lattes, etc.

Oh great, thanks so much! I think it’s only available in Holland & Barrett here in Ireland so I’m going to order some later. Hopefully it will do the trick 😊
I just saw that they're doing some good discounted deals and bundles on their website! Might stock up through that. Otherwise I've just been relying on the Holland & Barrett buy 1 half 1 sale...

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Ah okay, great, thank you! Some of the SuperValu stores also have the Applewood cheese - just not any of the ones close to me 😭 I’ll keep my eyes peeled though!
Crossing fingers toes and flaps that you'll get all the lovely vegan goodies soon!

I love the Mighty Pea milks! I'm currently using the Semi and it's been great in porridge, cereal, smoothies, lattes, etc.

I just saw that they're doing some good discounted deals and bundles on their website! Might stock up through that. Otherwise I've just been relying on the Holland & Barrett buy 1 half 1 sale...
Finally someone else who's tried it! I recommend them to everyone for kids, I felt a bit sorry for the health visitor who did my son's 18 month check when she brought up us being vegan, I must have spent 10 minutes talking about his diet at the poor love 😭😂 I definitely name dropped mighty pea as well and suggested it to her for kids who can't tolerate dairy/soya products or nuts she was actually amazed that pea milk existed 😂

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
@StillLucilleBluth I don’t think you have to stop wearing wool and leather immediately you can just follow a vegan diet for now and then if you want to go fully vegan. But most places such as new look do vegan leather shoes and handbags so I don’t think it would be that difficult

over the years I’ve gone between pescatarian and veggie. My partner is vegan and has been since 2018 and he hasn’t cheated once !I think nowadays there’s a lot more knowledge and that’s what put me off but the main thing for me was seeing the trucks transport the chickens. I live between an agricultural town and a slaughter house and seeing the trucks to and from work absolutely breaks my heart !! Seeing the chickens shaking on the trucks is so cruel I just can’t understand it. It really is a sad part of life. Growing up I never enjoyed eating meat my parents wouldn’t let me be veggie. I used to dread it When it was pork chop night
If you’ve read all this then Thankyou I got a bit carried away 🫣🫣

• Heart
Reactions: 5
@StillLucilleBluth I don’t think you have to stop wearing wool and leather immediately you can just follow a vegan diet for now and then if you want to go fully vegan. But most places such as new look do vegan leather shoes and handbags so I don’t think it would be that difficult

over the years I’ve gone between pescatarian and veggie. My partner is vegan and has been since 2018 and he hasn’t cheated once !I think nowadays there’s a lot more knowledge and that’s what put me off but the main thing for me was seeing the trucks transport the chickens. I live between an agricultural town and a slaughter house and seeing the trucks to and from work absolutely breaks my heart !! Seeing the chickens shaking on the trucks is so cruel I just can’t understand it. It really is a sad part of life. Growing up I never enjoyed eating meat my parents wouldn’t let me be veggie. I used to dread it When it was pork chop night
If you’ve read all this then Thankyou I got a bit carried away 🫣🫣
Oh god I feel the same 😥 What pushed me over the edge into vegetarianism was driving up to Scotland and seeing so many livestock transport lorries. It is so upsetting. I can’t bear the thought of it. I have to look away from them.

• Heart
Oh god I feel the same 😥 What pushed me over the edge into vegetarianism was driving up to Scotland and seeing so many livestock transport lorries. It is so upsetting. I can’t bear the thought of it. I have to look away from them.
So sad isn’t it. It really is awful I’d love to adopt some chickens that have been saved

• Heart
Reactions: 3
100 imperfect vegans are better than 10 perfect vegans.

Thank you for all you are doing, and please don't put pressure on yourself. We are all doing the best we can in a difficult world right now.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Vegetarian 1.5 years, I started reducing meat in my late twenties and early thirties (36 now) and did Veganuary a few years in a row now. I'd normally go back to having a little meat here and there (1-2 times a week) when Veganuary ended but last year, I just couldn't, and even though I hadn't gone fully vegan, I had gone veggie.
A few moments that I had that eventually made me go veggie were:
1. We were away with boyfriend and went to a small aquarium and saw some fishes from the sea bass family in one of the tanks. They were just so full of life and their scales shiny and healthy, and I was thinking, how can we be eating something so beautiful and so alive?
I didn't go veggie then but practically cut out fish from my diet.
2. I was cycling to work and thinking about stuff, as you do, and I started thinking how can I eat someone else's body? Body that lived and breathed, ate, moved. Who gives you the right to take someone's life and eat their body?
3. I used to live in Cambridge, also throughout most of the pandemic, and Cambridge allows cows to graze on the ancient commons in the city. During one of the lockdowns, I went out for my daily walk one day and stopped near some cows to take pictures, and one looked me in the eyes, and that was that. I also noticed that many cattle in Cambridge are actually bulls and many of them had their horns filed down and it made me really sad.

I still ate meat in small amounts for a few months but I started having guilt. How could I be feeling all this empathy for them but still eating them?

But then I did the Veganuary again and couldn't go back to eating meat. It's hard to explain the "couldn't" but I think most people here understand.

Also, reading all the comments from the past two days, reminded me how amazing people on this thread are. There is no judgment, just advice, and suggestions how to do better as vegan/vegetarian. When I first joined, I was still flexitarian and there were a few people originally on this thread who were in the same boat and it was so lovely to be able to find out about new veggie releases and have recommendations and mini-reviews of things we wanted to try.

I love you guys. The empowerment on this thread is real.

A few more things: I also love eggs and cheese but feel similarly to you @StillLucilleBluth. It's sill taking advantage of animals. I think it's a good idea to not have them every single day. With eggs, if it's possible at all, maybe get your own chickens so you know they're being treated very well, or where possible get eggs from small farms or honesty boxes? Think of the cheese as a seasoning, not the main star of the show. Get a nice quality cheese and have small amount here and there as "garnish", if that makes sense. If you haven't tried yeast flakes, get some - they add savoury, slightly cheesy flavour to dishes. Sometime I make a bigger portion of a pasta dish and when I reheat it, sometimes I'd have it with some grated cheese, and sometimes with the yeast flakes.
As much as it's hard to replace eggs in savoury dishes (what would I have in my shakshuka?) it's much easier in baking and there are tonnes of vegan recipes. If you like baking already, you'll probably enjoy the extra challenge of trying to make vegan versions of your favourite bakes. Also, nice eggs are expensive, so baking vegan stuff might save you money.
Clothes/shoes/makeup: It is sustainable to wear what you have and slowly replace with vegan options. Having a rule of only buying leather/wool if it's second hand is an excellent idea. I personally like silk so I pledged only to buy it second hand.
Shoes are a bit of a tricky one for me because I have had bad experiences with faux leather shoes (they weren't even called vegan back then) - they made my feet sweat and stink, and also a very lovely pair of faux leather shoes I had got at first year at uni, fell apart after one winter. I don't buy shoes often and take a very good care of the few pairs I own and this is how I justify still wearing leather. I try to think of the environment as well and wouldn't want to throw away a pair of shoes every few months knowing that they won't decompose any time soon.
I have a small handful of leather bags, including a very simple everyday black bag. I have had it for about 7 years and I had previously had faux leathe bags that only had lasted a few month. I think that if it ever comes to replacing the bag, there would be some good vegan alternatives available, there is so many leathers being developed right now, using mushrooms, pineaple and many more,
Makeup/toiletries: Same as people earlier in the thread, it's important to use up whatever makeup products you have and only then buy the new vegan versions. I still have slip-ups but would say that my toiletries bag is about 90% cruelty free. Also, there might be situations that can't be helped: someone bought for you something non-vegan/non-CF as gift, it's probably better just use up or pass down onto someone to avoid being wasteful.

• Heart
So sad isn’t it. It really is awful I’d love to adopt some chickens that have been saved
This is what I do :) They arrive so scrawny looking with half their feathers missing (one had a limp as she'd been handled too roughly by the farmer). Honestly it's so heartwarming (and heartbreaking) to see them finally fat and healthy looking. They genuinely enjoy the open space despite being cooped up for the first 18 months of their lives.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
This is what I do :) They arrive so scrawny looking with half their feathers missing (one had a limp as she'd been handled too roughly by the farmer). Honestly it's so heartwarming (and heartbreaking) to see them finally fat and healthy looking. They genuinely enjoy the open space despite being cooped up for the first 18 months of their lives.
Ahhhh that’s sooo cute. My boyfriend used to have some. They weren’t rescues But we don’t really have the garden for it 😞😞 hopefully one day !

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Vegetarian 1.5 years, I started reducing meat in my late twenties and early thirties (36 now) and did Veganuary a few years in a row now. I'd normally go back to having a little meat here and there (1-2 times a week) when Veganuary ended but last year, I just couldn't, and even though I hadn't gone fully vegan, I had gone veggie.
A few moments that I had that eventually made me go veggie were:
1. We were away with boyfriend and went to a small aquarium and saw some fishes from the sea bass family in one of the tanks. They were just so full of life and their scales shiny and healthy, and I was thinking, how can we be eating something so beautiful and so alive?
I didn't go veggie then but practically cut out fish from my diet.
2. I was cycling to work and thinking about stuff, as you do, and I started thinking how can I eat someone else's body? Body that lived and breathed, ate, moved. Who gives you the right to take someone's life and eat their body?
3. I used to live in Cambridge, also throughout most of the pandemic, and Cambridge allows cows to graze on the ancient commons in the city. During one of the lockdowns, I went out for my daily walk one day and stopped near some cows to take pictures, and one looked me in the eyes, and that was that. I also noticed that many cattle in Cambridge are actually bulls and many of them had their horns filed down and it made me really sad.

I still ate meat in small amounts for a few months but I started having guilt. How could I be feeling all this empathy for them but still eating them?

But then I did the Veganuary again and couldn't go back to eating meat. It's hard to explain the "couldn't" but I think most people here understand.

Also, reading all the comments from the past two days, reminded me how amazing people on this thread are. There is no judgment, just advice, and suggestions how to do better as vegan/vegetarian. When I first joined, I was still flexitarian and there were a few people originally on this thread who were in the same boat and it was so lovely to be able to find out about new veggie releases and have recommendations and mini-reviews of things we wanted to try.

I love you guys. The empowerment on this thread is real.

A few more things: I also love eggs and cheese but feel similarly to you @StillLucilleBluth. It's sill taking advantage of animals. I think it's a good idea to not have them every single day. With eggs, if it's possible at all, maybe get your own chickens so you know they're being treated very well, or where possible get eggs from small farms or honesty boxes? Think of the cheese as a seasoning, not the main star of the show. Get a nice quality cheese and have small amount here and there as "garnish", if that makes sense. If you haven't tried yeast flakes, get some - they add savoury, slightly cheesy flavour to dishes. Sometime I make a bigger portion of a pasta dish and when I reheat it, sometimes I'd have it with some grated cheese, and sometimes with the yeast flakes.
As much as it's hard to replace eggs in savoury dishes (what would I have in my shakshuka?) it's much easier in baking and there are tonnes of vegan recipes. If you like baking already, you'll probably enjoy the extra challenge of trying to make vegan versions of your favourite bakes. Also, nice eggs are expensive, so baking vegan stuff might save you money.
Clothes/shoes/makeup: It is sustainable to wear what you have and slowly replace with vegan options. Having a rule of only buying leather/wool if it's second hand is an excellent idea. I personally like silk so I pledged only to buy it second hand.
Shoes are a bit of a tricky one for me because I have had bad experiences with faux leather shoes (they weren't even called vegan back then) - they made my feet sweat and stink, and also a very lovely pair of faux leather shoes I had got at first year at uni, fell apart after one winter. I don't buy shoes often and take a very good care of the few pairs I own and this is how I justify still wearing leather. I try to think of the environment as well and wouldn't want to throw away a pair of shoes every few months knowing that they won't decompose any time soon.
I have a small handful of leather bags, including a very simple everyday black bag. I have had it for about 7 years and I had previously had faux leathe bags that only had lasted a few month. I think that if it ever comes to replacing the bag, there would be some good vegan alternatives available, there is so many leathers being developed right now, using mushrooms, pineaple and many more,
Makeup/toiletries: Same as people earlier in the thread, it's important to use up whatever makeup products you have and only then buy the new vegan versions. I still have slip-ups but would say that my toiletries bag is about 90% cruelty free. Also, there might be situations that can't be helped: someone bought for you something non-vegan/non-CF as gift, it's probably better just use up or pass down onto someone to avoid being wasteful.
Thank you so, so much for this amazing and thoughtful post. So so helpful! I have screenshotted it to refer back to ☺❤

• Heart
I have a fish pie packet mix but what do I substitute for the fish? Mushrooms? Jackfruit? I don't think I ever had fish pie when I ate meat so am at a bit of a loss 🤣

I have a fish pie packet mix but what do I substitute for the fish? Mushrooms? Jackfruit? I don't think I ever had fish pie when I ate meat so am at a bit of a loss 🤣
I would probably do a mix of mushrooms and smoked tofu 🤔 The Tofoo Co. smoked tofu is lovely. But I haven’t eaten a fish pie in 20 years so what do I know? 🤣

Smoked tofu sounds like a good idea. Maybe throw in a few chopped capers for salty flavour? Or cut up 1-2 sheets of sushi seaweed for extra "fishy"/sea flavour, and mix in with the tofu 😊 (or both if you're feeling fancy)

Shredded firm tofu is good! Or jackfruit or banana blossom in brine, which you can get in cans! Those are my go-to fish subs. I like mixing them with chopped nori and a bit of white miso paste.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Can I ask another newbie question please? For folks who went vegan and then perhaps a few months or years later ended up eating dairy or something, either out of choice or necessity, did it make you feel ill? I'm pricing in a couple of slip-ups, i.e. I forget to tell someone I'm vegan and go to their house and they offer me something with cream in it for dessert, and I have a bit so as to avoid hurting any feelings. That kind of thing. So just curious if having abstained for a while, did a one-off reintroduction of dairy (or whatever) make you feel rough?

Can I ask another newbie question please? For folks who went vegan and then perhaps a few months or years later ended up eating dairy or something, either out of choice or necessity, did it make you feel ill? I'm pricing in a couple of slip-ups, i.e. I forget to tell someone I'm vegan and go to their house and they offer me something with cream in it for dessert, and I have a bit so as to avoid hurting any feelings. That kind of thing. So just curious if having abstained for a while, did a one-off reintroduction of dairy (or whatever) make you feel rough?
So take this with a pinch of salt because I have underlying IBS anyway, and I'm still vegan (have been for many years) but just last week accidentally ate one of those Halo Top caramel ice cream sticks that wasn't vegan (rookie mistake - they have a vegan version of the same flavour in a tub and the packaging looked the same so I didn't think to double check). Anyway, it was an understandable mistake so I felt a bit crap emotionally but quickly got over that, but physically, it wasn't pleasant the next day at all, stomach-wise. I think it's probably the first time I've accidentally (to my knowledge anyway) consumed a proper dose of dairy in one sitting in a long while...

I had a mad moment a few years ago where I craved a big dirty cheese pizza, ordered one, ate it & the aftermath was both painful & unpleasant for the best part of 2 days.

I can always tell when there’s been a dairy ingredient in a meal because it just doesn’t agree with me and certain other things I can just taste and just know there’s non vegan ingredients.

Did you end up feeling ill after?

I'm not vegan but I've been dairy free for over 20 years. I can't handle fresh dairy products, but I've been fine when I've accidentally eaten something with a small bit cooked into it. I've also eaten Bournville and Fry's chocolate creams since they have added milk to the ingredients ( a small amount)