Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't know if this is new or if I've just been asleep, but Heinz have a vegan Cream of Tomato soup out. I gave it a try and it's nice. Different texture to the original (to be expected) but very comforting.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I realise I'm late to the party but I always assumed UPF weren't great for anyone in the long, regardless of whether they ate meat or not? Can anyone sum up the book everyone is talking about in one paragraph? Or direct me to somewhere that does?

Reactions: 1
Has anyone mastered a good Yorkshire recipe? Mine is really hit and miss, sometimes rises relatively well and other times completely flat and pancakey.

I realise I'm late to the party but I always assumed UPF weren't great for anyone in the long, regardless of whether they ate meat or not? Can anyone sum up the book everyone is talking about in one paragraph? Or direct me to somewhere that does?
I haven't read the book but there was a bunch of articles on the Guardian about UPF recently (possibly triggered by the book?) and it made me want to cut down on fake meat etc. I don't eat a lot of it - twice a week tops, sometimes I go a couple weeks without any - but I'd like to have even less. Instead make more food from scratch using beans, nuts etc. But would also be keen to read someone's recap of the book
---
I’ve been making this one (but leaving out the bay seasoning and adding in more veg like celery and red pepper): https://jessicainthekitchen.com/chickpea-tuna-sandwich-vegan/

But it does call for vegan mayo which is a UPF so I might try the Forks Over Knives one soon as it has great reviews and uses tahini and other ingredients instead. This low-UPF diet a work in progress!

This overnight oats recipe is high protein and no protein powder needed: https://plantbasedjess.com/high-protein-overnight-oats-vegan-no-protein-powder/

I also made a deliciously Ella mushroom pasta last night that used silken tofu to make the cream sauce, so that’s another high protein option.

If you have any recipes you like, please share too :)
You can make an aquafaba based homemade mayo! It will last 1-2 weeks in the fridge so if you like mayo it's definitely worth making. I can't recommend an English recipe but can translate a recipe from a vegan cookbook by an author from my home country. Please let me know if anyone would be interested 😊
---
Is anyone else cutting down on the ultra processed stuff? If I have one more tofu scramble 🥴 I miss this sausage and bacon butties for breakfast and don’t like sweet stuff (I class anything with milk sweet). I also need to keep my protein intake high. Fed up.
I made this mince using below recipe, it has a really good texture and once made, you can use it in a bolognese, wraps, and other dishes! I think I will be trying it in a lasagna when it gets a little colder, or in a moussaka 😋 I also think that once you've made it a couple of times using the recipe, you can start playing with the seasonings a bit, make it Mexican inspired and use in tacos, use Mediterranean herbs or Indian spices etc. Options are endless 😊 I blended half of the tofu block and crumbled the other half with hands to have different size bits for more interesting texture.
IMG-20230228-WA0009.jpg

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
I haven't read the book but there was a bunch of articles on the Guardian about UPF recently (possibly triggered by the book?) and it made me want to cut down on fake meat etc. I don't eat a lot of it - twice a week tops, sometimes I go a couple weeks without any - but I'd like to have even less. Instead make more food from scratch using beans, nuts etc. But would also be keen to read someone's recap of the book
---

You can make an aquafaba based homemade mayo! It will last 1-2 weeks in the fridge so if you like mayo it's definitely worth making. I can't recommend an English recipe but can translate a recipe from a vegan cookbook by an author from my home country. Please let me know if anyone would be interested 😊
---

I made this mince using below recipe, it has a really good texture and once made, you can use it in a bolognese, wraps, and other dishes! I think I will be trying it in a lasagna when it gets a little colder, or in a moussaka 😋 I also think that once you've made it a couple of times using the recipe, you can start playing with the seasonings a bit, make it Mexican inspired and use in tacos, use Mediterranean herbs or Indian spices etc. Options are endless 😊 I blended half of the tofu block and crumbled the other half with hands to have different size bits for more interesting texture.
View attachment 2314557
I am so impressed that you MADE mince!

Reactions: 1
Tried the plant based Muller corners. Bit expensive for a single yoghurt IMO (£1.25, Asda) but nice enough. I'm sure there's less in the pot than when I used to get the dairy ones years ago, although it might be shrinkflation.

I tried the Muller Rice pot (Chocolate) too, I'd definitely get one of those again. Tasted the same as I remembered the regular ones.

Reactions: 5
Does anyone have any experience of tempeh?

I bought some in Tesco and I kid you not, it smelled like literal poop. And yep I checked the use by date and it was fine!

I tried some on holiday and it definitely didn’t taste like that?

Can anyone recommend brands/ tell me what I’m doing wrong?!

Does anyone have any experience of tempeh?

I bought some in Tesco and I kid you not, it smelled like literal poop. And yep I checked the use by date and it was fine!

I tried some on holiday and it definitely didn’t taste like that?

Can anyone recommend brands/ tell me what I’m doing wrong?!
I love tempeh. The best thing to do is steam it first for about 15mins. It takes away the bitterness and softens it a bit. And it's like tofu- it needs seasoning. Find a recipe that you like the sound of and marinate it before cooking. The most common marinades seem to use a soy sauce base but there's loads of ideas out there. Then you can fry it in a bit of oil if you want it to crisp. You could also crumble it and make it like a mince or tuna salad. You can buy a 400g block for about £2 in the Chinese supermarkets.

Reactions: 2
I love tempeh. The best thing to do is steam it first for about 15mins. It takes away the bitterness and softens it a bit. And it's like tofu- it needs seasoning. Find a recipe that you like the sound of and marinate it before cooking. The most common marinades seem to use a soy sauce base but there's loads of ideas out there. Then you can fry it in a bit of oil if you want it to crisp. You could also crumble it and make it like a mince or tuna salad. You can buy a 400g block for about £2 in the Chinese supermarkets.
I was addicted to it in Indonesia, but my first foray back home was with the Toofoo tempeh from Tesco and it just smelled horrific.

I seasoned it a bit and tried to air fry it, hoping that would improve, but the taste and texture were all off.

I’m going to try a Chinese supermarket and maybe marinate it, like you’ve suggested! Im craving it so badly

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I was addicted to it in Indonesia, but my first foray back home was with the Toofoo tempeh from Tesco and it just smelled horrific.

I seasoned it a bit and tried to air fry it, hoping that would improve, but the taste and texture were all off.

I’m going to try a Chinese supermarket and maybe marinate it, like you’ve suggested! Im craving it so badly
Check out some Indonesian recipes for it. Two bloggers that I know of that cook Asian are https://thefoodietakesflight.com/ and https://www.myplantifulcooking.com/. Hopefully you'll find some ideas there!

Oh I love tempeh. More than tofu. I just usually stick it in fajitas or curry tbh.

But like… with tempeh… is it normal for it to reek when you open the packet or did I just get a bad box?

• Haha
These are back in Aldi and sooo good. I'll be buying many boxes for stocking fillers this year, and at least couple more for my boyfriend and me to enjoy in the run-up to Christmas. Perfect with a cup of strong tea or coffee 😊
IMG_20231030_160836.jpg

• Heart
Reactions: 6
These are back in Aldi and sooo good. I'll be buying many boxes for stocking fillers this year, and at least couple more for my boyfriend and me to enjoy in the run-up to Christmas. Perfect with a cup of strong tea or coffee 😊
View attachment 2541062
I bought some on the big shop this afternoon 😊

Wanted to mention as well because I hadn’t realised, that most toothpastes aren’t cruelty free. Aldis own brand of toothpaste is cruelty free though 👍🏻

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 3
Aldi own loo roll is also vegan. Apparently some brands contain gelatin, but the Aldi one in the blue packet (9rolls for 2.09 I believe) is vegan.

• Wow
Reactions: 3