Vegan and Plant Based Recommendations and Reviews #2

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Hey guys! I've been plantbased coming up to a year now but struggle with meat alternatives. I'd love to try Quorn products but I've heard the mycoprotein makes quite a lot of people sick, and as someone with emetophobia it's put me off ever trying it. Just wondering if anyone can debunk this for me? X
I struggle with the texture sometimes, but I think that's because I've never eaten meat and it just turns my stomach a bit, but it's never made me sick. I've not tried an awful lot, but the nuggets are nice.

Reactions: 2
I've never had a reaction to Quorn or anything else. Quorn frustrate me as so many of their products aren't vegan, I don't buy from them often. Some of the supermarket own brands are comparable imo. Aldi's plant menu range is quite well priced.

Reactions: 8
Hey guys! I've been plantbased coming up to a year now but struggle with meat alternatives. I'd love to try Quorn products but I've heard the mycoprotein makes quite a lot of people sick, and as someone with emetophobia it's put me off ever trying it. Just wondering if anyone can debunk this for me? X
Hey, it makes me have a dodgy tummy. I've given it a chance a few times and every time I eat it, my tummy isn't right. But my friend eats it no problem! I think there are better products out there, to be honest.

Reactions: 1
yeah that's a good shout! anything you'd recommend in particular? i hear a lot of good things about the nuggets
if you’re worried about it I would go to Costa and get yourself the vegan ham and cheeze toastie. It is expensive but it’ll save you wasting money on a pack of something you’re not going to end up eating. I’ve never had an issue with it but it’s not the best thing to eat anyway protein wise. Soya meat alternatives will give you more protein.

———————————————-

tried the Nomo caramel drops and my lord they’re nice. Shame they’re about £4 a pop cause I love them but definitely good for a nice treat

Just reminded myself: these were £1.50 in my big tesco yesterday! Bargain.
IMG_20221225_130243_edit_551578917539791.jpg

Coursework marking pencil for scale only (for today 🙄)

Just demolished a packet of these with soy sauce as they had BBE date of 27th. I made a sandwich for a light dinner but couldn’t stop eating them (I’ve saved the 🥪). Why can’t things like this be permanent 😭

E76006BC-3EFD-4F30-9D1E-CAF995D949FA.jpeg

• Wow
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Eek, help!

I've been invited to a suuuuper informal "Christmas" dinner on the 27th with 7 adults and 1 kid and I've offered to bring dessert and they've gratefully accepted (ffs 😂).
It's got to be vegan and I guess a bit fancier than everyday.
The main is rice & coconut, so I should avoid that, I suppose. It's also got to travel 25 miles on the day and probably sit about a few hours too. Could probably warm something up.

Any ideas the vegans won't be bored of?
All great suggestions, thanks so much!

I really was being a bit crap and unimaginative 😂 I'm "only" vegetarian, so will always fall back on some kinda roulade or something with a fucktonne of cream etc in.

I think I might make a sticky toffee pudding cos the spice feels Christmassy but the traybake of it all is less effort than something prettier (maybe this one?) - what's your favourite easily available vegan ice-cream or double cream type deal to serve with something like that?

We're visiting again soon for a joint bday party, and I'm absolutely turning up with some of the boughten options, esp the terrine and the Wicked rich number, cheers!
Relying to myself as if you've all been on tenterhooks about my pudding 😂
I did make the sticky toffee pudding and I made double the toffee sauce so a jug could be passed round. That was handy as I left it too late to get ice-cream to go with and it would have been a bit much then.
It went down really well and key vegans had seconds!
I'm absolutely tit at baking and this came out pretty nicely - I'll definitely make it again. Especially the toffee sauce 🤤

I LOVE feeding people sfm!!!!

Be mindful of Lidl and Asda if you’re vegan. So far some of their veganuary products are vegetarian not vegan

• Wow
Reactions: 11
Be mindful of Lidl and Asda if you’re vegan. So far some of their veganuary products are vegetarian not vegan
So cheeky!

Speaking of Lidl though, I cracked open this little bad boy today. Very nice! I am veggie but do Veganuary every year. This is crumbly, melts in the mouth, tastes little salty and doesn't have a coconut aftertaste (looking at you Violife!). I had it sprinkled on my avocado toast this morning ☺
1672662395879.png

• Heart
Reactions: 7
This is currently £2 at Sainsbury's so I picked some up
1673289178331.png

Silken tofu was about £1.40 at Aldi? I also got a couple of convenience bits
IMG_20230107_145443.jpg

This is currently £2 at Sainsbury's so I picked some up
View attachment 1869088

Silken tofu was about £1.40 at Aldi? I also got a couple of convenience bits
View attachment 1869096
Lidl are doing am organic silken tofu as well for the same!
Tried the Sri Lankan vegan curry at work for lunch today and it was absolutely cracking and only £2.
Am about to try the buffalo wings and kids have the smoky pizza
God I love Aldi and Lidl during January 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Yess, January at Lidl is wicked - they also have tempeh (vegan) and sandwich slices (vegetarian, in a couple of flavours, I got olive and pumpkin and there was another). The frozen stuff is interesting but less tempting to me, though I did get some broccoli nuggets because I am 10.
Im hoarding firm tofu at present while it's on offer and experimenting with freezing different kinds. Some defrosts with no change, some gets 'spongier' (?) some scrambles itself.

Speaking of freezing stuff that tells you you shouldn't, I've always bought quorn/ other brands sandwich sliced hams for my kid's lunch when it's on offer cos it's a bit spensive otherwise. I pack it into a tupperware with a slice of greaseproof paper in between each slice. Works a treat and saves loads of money. I just pull out a frozen slice and its defrosted on the chopping board by the time I've buttered the bread 👌 I reuse the greaseproof until it dies too.
I also freeze quorn cocktail sausages when they turn up with yellow stickers and put those in the lunchbox still frozen - they're perfect by lunchtime.

Reactions: 5
So not a recommendation but (I feel like I always come in here with doom and gloom 🤣)

subway are removing their T.L.C from the menu

• Sad
Reactions: 5
So not a recommendation but (I feel like I always come in here with doom and gloom 🤣)

subway are removing their T.L.C from the menu
Oh no, it's fair to give people here the heads-up about these things, we had an interesting discussion a few months ago about which coffee shop chain is charging extra for plant milk, it's good to be informed 🙂

Reactions: 3
Oh no, it's fair to give people here the heads-up about these things, we had an interesting discussion a few months ago about which coffee shop chain is charging extra for plant milk, it's good to be informed 🙂
they told me yesterday so I thought I'd share it as it is news so I'm glad it's okay lol!

The lady behind the counter said she's not sure if they are bringing it back or switching to another supplier. She thinks they maybe want to give the new vegan steak one a chance before they introduce or reintroduce. I saw someone else say that they patterning with the veggie butcher? I am sad though cause I love the TLC

Reactions: 3
My local Pret stopped doing the avocado, olive and tomato baguette over Christmas, and haven't brought it back :(.

• Sad