Unpopular opinions #8

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I don't know why British food gets such negativity. Some of my favourite meals are traditional British foods.

Shepards/cottage pie
Dumplings
Yorkshire puddings
Eggs Benedict (not 100% sure they're British)
Sausage and mash
Crumpets
Cheese and pickle sandwiches
Sticky toffee pudding

The British make great food, there are countries that eat much stranger stuff. What about eastern Europeans with all their mayo and picked cabbage. Or that horrible pickled fish stuff from Scandinavia. Don't get me started with the Germans and all those weird sausages.
I’m not a huge fan of british food generally but I love beef Wellington and sticky toffee pudding 👌

Reactions: 2
The trouble is many have no idea what is healthy, underweight and overweight

My daughter's eldest very healthy weight, sporty, dancer, gymnast, never even had a MacDonalds was sent home with a letter saying she was overweight. so ridiculous same body type as me my children and all my grandchildren that in the 50s/60s/ 70s etc was considered very healthy size. Of course, next to those who have bones poking out ( not all kids who eat junk are overweight, many are painfully underweight ) , she would look tubby but she wasn't and to get a letter was out of order and shows the ignorance around this.
BMI is only a number you can have a super fit athlete classed as morbidly obese on that scale .

Reactions: 6
Idk if this has been said but I’ll repeat it…

Harry Potter is overrated. I will never understand the obsession.

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 38

My daughter's eldest very healthy weight, sporty, dancer, gymnast, never even had a MacDonalds was sent home with a letter saying she was overweight. so ridiculous same body type as me my children and all my grandchildren that in the 50s/60s/ 70s etc was considered very healthy size. Of course, next to those who have bones poking out ( not all kids who eat junk are overweight, many are painfully underweight ) , she would look tubby but she wasn't and to get a letter was out of order and shows the ignorance around this.
I’ve withdrawn my child out of this programme as there’s no evidence that shows that it promotes healthy eating, but rather anxiety and poor body issues. All the information goes towards data for public health England, and BMI is pointless anyways. I refuse for my son to have the body issues I had as a little person.

Reactions: 9
I hate Black Friday being incorporated into the UK when It's always been an American thing.
This! And the pumpkin picking that has started to become a thing here is incredibly cringey. Started to look like America’s copy-cat younger sister.

Reactions: 16

It’s the same with pets. Both my dogs are senior and lean and people think we don’t feed them enough, when in reality they are really healthy weights and the vet would confirm. It’s actually better for dogs to be lean, especially when they are older as it’s less stress on their joints but people are so used to seeing fat pets they don’t know what healthy looks like 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I’ve withdrawn my child out of this programme as there’s no evidence that shows that it promotes healthy eating, but rather anxiety and poor body issues. All the information goes towards data for public health England, and BMI is pointless anyways. I refuse for my son to have the body issues I had as a little person.
They have all been taken out of school now. They did keep the little one (4) in at first but her first day back after lockdown after never seeing me or anyone of us in a mask shouted at me in a shop saying nanny you are going to get sick and die because you don't have a mask on. One morning of schooling turned her into a worried little girl. She didn't go back again.

• Sad
Reactions: 4
I know someone who eats Christmas cake with CHEESE

Like, a big old chunk of cake with chunks of cheese all in the mouth together…..
Yep I was shocked to discover that not everyone does this 😂 we always have Wensleydale cheese with Christmas cake 😋

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I want only pretty people to play in movies, I see plenty of the ordinary and relatable ppl all around me on the streets and I really want to escape that.

• Haha
Reactions: 19
It sometimes is. Social services will get involved if the child is suffering health problems because of their weight and the parents aren't supporting weight loss .
I believe a child was taken into care on the UK because the parents woulndt improve their diet.

Anyway, I'm gonna weigh in on the cake debate. Full size cakes are usually crap and dry. I would rather a cup cake every time. Loaf cakes and tray bakes are also better. Brownies are the most superior.
Can I just wade in. I was always a chubby child, possibly not obese but definitely round. I ate less than my skinny sister. My mum is very healthy and I was fussy but she squeezed in every bit of fruit and veg she could! I’m sure in lots of circumstances it could be avoided but genes do play a part too. Then I slimmed down at about 12 til 23 ish then I got chubby again all by myself 🤣

I want only pretty people to play in movies, I see plenty of the ordinary and relatable ppl all around me on the streets and I really want to escape that.
I get this. Whilst I want to feel represented in films equally I like to look at pretty people on the screen

Reactions: 6
Yep I was shocked to discover that not everyone does this 😂 we always have Wensleydale cheese with Christmas cake 😋
Christmas cake and cheese is a big thing up North but seems to be confined there. Not just at Christmas either, fruit cake and cheese can be all year round. Never fancied it myself.

My mum used to do fried Christmas pud on boxing day as part of a massive fried breakfast. It's actually delicious.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
My unpopular opinion... People spend WAY too much time invested in influencers, and who's pages they have or haven't commented on, who's collabs they have or haven't promoted, and who they have or haven't wished a happy birthday too!

Reactions: 17
If I follow a nutritionist, doctor. baker etc I do not want to see all aspects of their lives (if their pages are mostly one professional topic related)
Tell me how to bake a cake, not how you struggle with mental health problems.
The relatability went too far these days

Reactions: 26
She did, but the blood on the mattress was later shown to be hers from a self inflicted injury.

There can be violence and turbulence in relationships without it being domestic abuse (doesn’t make it healthy or normal). Domestic abuse is intimate terrorism, and it’s characterised by patterns of fear and control. I don’t believe Caroline was an abuser and the media treated her much more harshly than they would have a man.
that’s wholly unsubstantiated though. It amounts to hearsay and speculation.

at the time of the incident, there were news stories where “insiders” claimed most of the blood was Caroline’s, presumably as some sort of defence for her.

there’s no way anyone could know whose blood it was, without DNA testing. And if it was mingled, there’s no way of knowing how much of it was Caroline’s and how much of it was lewis, only an educated guess.

perhaps if Caroline had lived the full facts would have been made known to the court and by extension, the public. But she chose not to allow that to happen.

the facts are, that she attacked her boyfriend with a lamp because she suspected he was cheating. Those were the facts made known to an inquest. According to police reports, Caroline readily admitted to hitting lewis over the head. This corroborates what Lewis said in his initially phone call to 999. Those are the facts.

have your opinions but please don’t spread speculation as if it’s factual.

IMO Caroline was deeply unwell, with a history of tumultuous relationships and enabled by her mother and friends who made excuses for her toxic behaviour.

• Wow
Reactions: 10
BMI is only a number you can have a super fit athlete classed as morbidly obese on that scale .
I think most rugby players are morbidly obese according to their BMI. :rolleyes:

There has to be a more accurate way of working out what's healthy and what isn't. There are too many variables for the current BMI ratings to be a good indicator.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
It’s the same with pets. Both my dogs are senior and lean and people think we don’t feed them enough, when in reality they are really healthy weights and the vet would confirm. It’s actually better for dogs to be lean, especially when they are older as it’s less stress on their joints but people are so used to seeing fat pets they don’t know what healthy looks like 😅
I was worried my dog was too thin but the vet said he's fine. She said the same as you we're just not use to seeing dogs that aren't overweight so our idea of what they should look like is skewed.

Pugs and labs are some of the worst offenders for being porkers, running around like sausage rolls on legs.

[
I think most rugby players are morbidly obese according to their BMI. :rolleyes:

There has to be a more accurate way of working out what's healthy and what isn't. There are too many variables for the current BMI ratings to be a good indicator.
To be fair you can tell if someone is overweight just from taking a look at them.

If they have lots of fat on their body, they're over weight. It's not actually anymore complicated than that. But the NHS can't just go on opinion as people will say the option is bias. So they made up this stupid BMI thing that for a lot of people doesn't work.

Like women who have thick thighs, hips and bottoms, or massive boobs. It's pushes your
BMI up even though it's just the way your body is.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7
The procurator fiscal clearly considered public opinion/backlash in their decision, the evidence was not there to meet the legal standard and she would have been found not guilty. But the PF wanted to make an example of her in my opinion 🤷🏻‍♀️
There’s literally countless examples of male celebs who’ve been convicted with little more than a side column written about it.
the CPS never, ever decide to proceed with a case unless they are fully satisfied there is enough evidence for a successful conviction. Public opinion doesn’t come into it. What would the CPS gain by making an example of Caroline? It is a team of multiple people who make the decisions that lead towards charging an individual, not just one person with a vendetta against Caroline.

the CPS usually push for a lesser charge (which is what happened initially) but the police recommended the more serious charge of Assault by battery - because they had the evidence to support said charge. They would’ve had to convince the CPS with this is evidence, and obviously they were able to do so.

the inquest into Caroline’s death showed that CPS followed due process.

there was substantial evidence against Caroline - including her own admission to hitting Lewis.

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 7
Deliberately changing the F word to duck or ducking is more offensive than saying the actual word….

• Haha
Reactions: 15
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.