Unpopular Opinions #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Unless it’s massive job eg kitchen or bathroom I will never pay someone if there’s a chance I can learn and do it myself
I have always done my own DIY even built my own kitchen not so long back. I fit and repair my white goods but now can't seem to do anything and finding it very hard to get a good regular tradesperson.

So many rip-offs too. I said the other day I have a freezer coming today and they are charging me £20 for delivery and £15 for them to bring it into the house! Before I would have just done it myself but these days with my disabilities, even getting the packaging off is a day's work in itself.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
Has anyone ever seen those vegan YouTubers who take to the streets to have a chat with meat eaters (or carnists as they dub them)?

If not, the idea is to start talking in a friendly manner, then work their way up to 'gotchas'. As an example, they'll ask: "would you drink human breast milk?" Obviously the answer is a no, usually with a bit of disgust, which then leads into the next question of: "well, why drink milk from a cow that's for calves, not humans?" Cue shocked looks. Then they'll generally say "did you know cow's milk is made up of pus?" And so on.

The result generally being that the interviewee agrees to reduce or cut out their dairy consumption. I know all the above, having watched several of the videos, but the benefits of milk outweigh the negatives in my opinion. And I hate all the alternatives like soya milk, oat milk, etc.

This probably isn't a UO yet, but sales of milk alternatives have increased rapidly throughout the last couple of years (apparently 1 in 3 now drink them rather than dairy milk), so if the trend continues, us cow milk drinkers will be the unpopular ones. :D
The price of milk alternatives has also gone through the roof. Pisses me off, my bf is actually intolerant to dairy so always has soya and it’s so expensive to buy now!

• Sad
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
This probably isn't a UO yet, but sales of milk alternatives have increased rapidly throughout the last couple of years (apparently 1 in 3 now drink them rather than dairy milk), so if the trend continues, us cow milk drinkers will be the unpopular ones. :D
That’s nice to hear. Milk is fairly easy to change in the diet because it doesn’t seem like this huge commitment as you’ll likely continue to use other products with normal milk in

The price of milk alternatives has also gone through the roof. Pisses me off, my bf is actually intolerant to dairy so always has soya and it’s so expensive to buy now!
Yeah I can imagine. Plus they only seem to sell milk alternatives in relatively small cartons. I buy a decent amount in my weekly shop, as I have cereal every morning, a latte, coffee and tea throughout the day etc. It must add up if you consume a similar quantity of that sort of milk.

That’s nice to hear. Milk is fairly easy to change in the diet because it doesn’t seem like this huge commitment as you’ll likely continue to use other products with normal milk in
I've tried them all, I just don't like them unfortunately. If they could make a milk alternative that tasted like milk and cost a similar amount, I'd switch.

Reactions: 2
I can decorate, assemble furniture and stuff like that but I can't do any larger DIY jobs. I'm left handed and not particularly dextrous, if I was a child today I'd probably be assessed as dyspraxic. I don't have the strength to drill holes in the walls (our walls in this house are either totally solid, or plasterboard. there's no middle ground).

So I am reliant on tradespeople for a lot of jobs, except for the fact I can't find anyone decent or reliable, so most jobs don't get done. I've never had a working sink in my ensuite because the original plumber didn't connect the waste pipe from the sink to the main waste, and others since then haven't been able to work out how to do it, or have never given a quote/ turned up to do the work!

I don't think there should be any shame in saying you can't do certain/any DIY tasks yourself. My Ex's view was that was a cop out and anyone who said they 'can't' do something hasn't really tried, or tried hard/ often enough.

I should have reminded him of that pearl of wisdom when he couldn't manage to be faithful to me.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 12
I've tried them all, I just don't like them unfortunately. If they could make a milk alternative that tasted like milk and cost a similar amount, I'd switch.
Agree. They’re all minging. Any time I’ve done veganury I’ve just sacked off tea/coffee anything that requires milk!

Reactions: 2
I can decorate, assemble furniture and stuff like that but I can't do any larger DIY jobs. I'm left handed and not particularly dextrous, if I was a child today I'd probably be assessed as dyspraxic. I don't have the strength to drill holes in the walls (our walls in this house are either totally solid, or plasterboard. there's no middle ground).

So I am reliant on tradespeople for a lot of jobs, except for the fact I can't find anyone decent or reliable, so most jobs don't get done. I've never had a working sink in my ensuite because the original plumber didn't connect the waste pipe from the sink to the main waste, and others since then haven't been able to work out how to do it, or have never given a quote/ turned up to do the work!

I don't think there should be any shame in saying you can't do certain/any DIY tasks yourself. My Ex's view was that was a cop out and anyone who said they 'can't' do something hasn't really tried, or tried hard/ often enough.

I should have reminded him of that pearl of wisdom when he couldn't manage to be faithful to me.
i’m the same. yes, theoretically i COULD fit my own kitchen or whatever, but it would be a terrible job and the cupboard doors would all be loose and the whole thing would probably be a fire hazard. i’d rather just pay and make sure it’s done properly/right than even attempting it myself. all credit to people who are able to though, i wish i could!

💙💙 to your last sentence x

• Heart
Reactions: 3
TBH I love that veganism is a big thing, because I’m lactose intolerant and 10 years ago the only alternative was soya (which is disgusting and tastes of farts) and no cafes apart from Starbucks stocked it. Now you can get every kind of milk at every cafe, and every supermarket has their own coconut/almond/oat milk for £1.20ish - I’ve only ever noticed the price going down because of all the new competitors.

Oh and my unpopular opinion is that I loved the heatwaves 🌞🌞🌞 and am hoping global warming takes off so I can enjoy more of them, without all the hassle/admin involved in emigrating to a hotter country.

• Wow
Reactions: 9
Your transphobia is showing 🤨🤨🤨
Its showing nothing - i am just stating that chickens have breasts, i am not phoning the kebab house and asking for chicken chest and chips, women dont chest feed they BREAST feed, My UO is this wokey language needs canning

Reactions: 13
Its showing nothing - i am just stating that chickens have breasts, i am not phoning the kebab house and asking for chicken chest and chips, women dont chest feed they BREAST feed, My UO is this wokey language needs canning
CANCELLED FOR TRANSPHOBIA

I’m joking lmao, of course it’s chicken breasts🥺

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Militant veganism can get in the bin. Eat what you want - meat/plants/bidet chicken - whatever. Just don’t preach to anyone else about it!

Reactions: 16
Militant veganism can get in the bin. Eat what you want - meat/plants/bidet chicken - whatever. Just don’t preach to anyone else about it!
Surely it’s counter productive anyway? If someone insults me, I’m not likely to listen to their dietary advice.

Reactions: 5
Cow milk is for cow babies. 🐮🥛
I find it really bizarre when adults and older children drink other mammals milk. I’m no vegan btw. I just find it really odd. There is no need for milk beyond infancy. Not sure if this is a northern irish thing but loads of people here drink a pint of milk with their dinner and it repulses me 🤢

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I find it really bizarre when adults and older children drink other mammals milk. I’m no vegan btw. I just find it really odd. There is no need for milk beyond infancy. Not sure if this is a northern irish thing but loads of people here drink a pint of milk with their dinner and it repulses me 🤢
Milk is an excellent source of protein and calcium, for anyone. Kids need it more but adults benefit from it too.

• Sick
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.