Unpopular Opinions #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Provided with housing ?

Some might be but there’s large amounts shoved long term in BnBs and grotty hotels. There was a group from the latest group of Afghans who were brought to my town. They were “housed” in a hotel that’s well known is to filthy. Full of mice running around the hallways and upper floors out of bounds because pigeons and gulls got into the roof and now there’s an issue with bird tit. Entire families in rooms designed for two.
Some are leaving the UK because of the conditions are so poor.
I said it another thread but changing housing is also extremely difficult and even GP recommendations don’t achieve anything sometimes

Perhaps the people crying about this could go and volunteer with one of the charities helping asylum seekers and gain some understanding. Your opinions might remain the same and that’s fine

No im not confused. And FYI my grandparents were immigrants into the UK, and I myself have worked and lived in various places overseas so please spare me your sanctimonious nitpicking and implications that you think I’m some sort of xenophobic grand wizard.
Your grandparents being immigrants doesn’t mean anything in this context, especially as many people conveniently forget the hardships their grandparents may have had to face or it was simply never talked about. More often than not it seems to be used as a deflection tactic for xenophobic opinions

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
for uncle maybe, but for many parents yet another hassle to think and worry about. I see a lot of stressful request on FB selling/ free sites. Why not just "bring your favourite book" day
Well, my brother and sister-in-law didn't seem perturbed by it either. He didn't even have a proper costume, it was mostly picking clothes he already owned in a certain colour and a bit of face paint! So very low effort and cost.

He had his photograph taken and he was beaming. It'd be a shame to deprive him of that bit of fun. Just my opinion of course.

Reactions: 2
Provided with housing ?

Some might be but there’s large amounts shoved long term in BnBs and grotty hotels. There was a group from the latest group of Afghans who were brought to my town. They were “housed” in a hotel that’s well known is to filthy. Full of mice running around the hallways and upper floors out of bounds because pigeons and gulls got into the roof and now there’s an issue with bird tit. Entire families in rooms designed for two.
Some are leaving the UK because of the conditions are so poor.
I had the same when I was homeless, that's just the way things are for some. We have already housed a few Ukrainians where I live as donations for furniture and carpets etc have been asked for. Meanwhile we have a huge homeless crises here with so many on the streets and more joining them everyday.

Reactions: 6
for uncle maybe, but for many parents yet another hassle to think and worry about. I see a lot of stressful request on FB selling/ free sites. Why not just "bring your favourite book" day
I don't mind the whole dressing up thing but it's more about the focus not really being on reading. Maybe if kids were encouraged to bring their favourite books along (or just books) and sit down and read that would make more sense

I know my old secondary school does some sort of reading time for 15 minutes every day at a specific time before a class starts - they also get to bring the book in or grab one from the library/classroom. I don't know whether it's effective, I imagine you have a few kids who sit around pretending to read, but it probably does feel a bit more enjoyable than only having the experience of reading a prescribed book for English class.

Reactions: 4
Indeed. They don't even know if the people are vaccinated half the the time, they just assume any death of someone younger than age 60 is highly likely to be vaccine related - unless the cause is very obvious - eg suicide or cancer.

Although I have seen some of them try to say the vaccine may cause cancer, so even that isn't off limits!

I think a lot of it is to prove to others (or themselves?) that they were definitely right to not get vaccinated. Whereas I've always said if you don't want to get vaccinated, don't have it, I don't care. You don't need to prove anything.
People speculate all the time and always have , only those saying,-could it be the vaccine- are jumped on and told they are insensitive 🙄

People speculate all the time and always have , only those saying,-could it be the vaccine- are jumped on and told they are insensitive 🙄

To be fair, it does seem to be the default response by some. The point remains that everyone dies and it can happen at any second of any day, we're all just distracting ourselves from the inevitable. Some can't seem to fathom that a young person dying doesn't have to be vaccine related.

Reactions: 5
I said it another thread but changing housing is also extremely difficult and even GP recommendations don’t achieve anything sometimes

Perhaps the people crying about this could go and volunteer with one of the charities helping asylum seekers and gain some understanding. Your opinions might remain the same and that’s fine

Your grandparents being immigrants doesn’t mean anything in this context, especially as many people conveniently forget the hardships their grandparents may have had to face or it was simply never talked about. More often than not it seems to be used as a deflection tactic for xenophobic opinions
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 You haven’t got the first clue what you are even talking about.

Reactions: 3
To be fair, it does seem to be the default response by some. The point remains that everyone dies and it can happen at any second of any day, we're all just distracting ourselves from the inevitable. Some can't seem to fathom that a young person dying doesn't have to be vaccine related.

And some cant fathom that it might be.

Anyway I'm not going there on this thread. I have deliberately keep that side of myself away from this thread even though I know my CT opinions would be the most unpopular hands down 🤣

Unpopular opinion but you definitely judge someone by their name. McKenzie, Jaxon, Kaiden & Orange aren't going to set the world on fire
I work part time in a child protection agency and I concur. Very few of the kids on our books have what I'd call 'traditional' names

I had the same when I was homeless, that's just the way things are for some. We have already housed a few Ukrainians where I live as donations for furniture and carpets etc have been asked for. Meanwhile we have a huge homeless crises here with so many on the streets and more joining them everyday.
I am aware that some people became homeless post lockdown. But what happened to those who were homeless before and placed into hotels?

I am aware that some people became homeless post lockdown. But what happened to those who were homeless before and placed into hotels?
That was only temporary. Probably like many things the government organise, once the cameras were off they were chucked out again . Bit like the money for the Ukrainians and their hosts ..Many didn't get it

I also seem to remember people saying that the conditions in those hotels were also horrible?

“the government should be helping our own people first” is a fantastic statement in general, but when you read it / hear it from anyone British it takes that nuance of post-colonial racism that really makes it shine.

Reactions: 9
Easter was always a big deal in our house as mum was quite a staunch Catholic but it was definitely more of a religious weekend. Good Friday I always remember getting tinned salmon and chips for tea because we couldn't eat meat.

Easter Sunday was mass, an egg and family all together for big roast lunch.
Until recently in Ireland pubs closed on Good Friday so as a young adult I hated that. Then I'd be dragged off to Easter Vigil on Saturday night which went on for hours and ruled out a night out.

It's only now I'm older I've come to love Easter

Last edited:
Probably gonna get slammed for this UO but I don't like when someone gets their whole boob out in public when breastfeeding. Sling, cover ups fine, just don't wanna see someone's whole boob including nipple in any public setting

Reactions: 9
“the government should be helping our own people first” is a fantastic statement in general, but when you read it / hear it from anyone British it takes that nuance of post-colonial racism that really makes it shine.
"We should help our own first, even if it means going into other lands and plundering their resources. Hey, we stopped them from eating each other."

• Haha
Reactions: 7
I also seem to remember people saying that the conditions in those hotels were also horrible?
The “temporary” accommodation generally is in a lot of places quite poor. Doesn’t make a difference who you are or where you’ve come from. It’s often the cheapest which usually means poorest quality. Even some of the shelter types are often really poor.

I have no problem with the money, its the infrastructure. we just cannot cope with more and more people and traffic etc in the cities and towns. maybe if we built new towns like we used to then it would not be so much of a problem.
Where would we put these new towns?

Where would we put these new towns?
Wherever we have space for them.
We always built new towns when the infrastructure was not good enough to cope with the amount of people a town/city had

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I don't know whether it's that unpopular but you can definitely separate the music from the artists. I'm not going to stop enjoying my favourite songs just because the singer did something bad

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.