Unpopular Opinions #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Lol not me, I fucked off and it was the best decision I ever made tbh.
I personally don’t think anyone should feel ashamed to be English at all, that’s ridiculous, but people need to stop hyping up the UK and just accept that the government is crap and the standard of living has fallen terribly over the past 10 years.
I don’t find people hyping up the U.K., I feel the standard of living has gone down quite a lot since the Millennium. I do wonder where we would be in the world if 9/11 hadn’t happened and we didn’t go into a never ending war in the Middle East. I think that destabilised quite a bit.

Reactions: 14
I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone hype up the U.K., I thought it was a known thing that it’s a bit tit. No one likes the U.K. lol

Reactions: 5
The many people that cross on the boats every day from France must be a bit hyped.

The many people that cross on the boats every day from France must be a bit hyped.
I read an interview where a journalist spoke to those wanting to cross into the U.K. and they seemed to have a backwards view on what they would get. One wanted white picket fences.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen someone hype up the U.K., I thought it was a known thing that it’s a bit tit. No one likes the U.K. lol
I can’t speak for the other countries but I would say England is pretty rubbish, especially in the cities.

Reactions: 4
I read an interview where a journalist spoke to those wanting to cross into the U.K. and they seemed to have a backwards view on what they would get. One wanted white picket fences.
I imagine they get promised a lot and even if it's isn't true they go with it's probably better than France anyway.

Reactions: 2
I imagine they get promised a lot and even if it's isn't true they go with it's probably better than France anyway.
I was reading an interview with a lady who came to the U.K. from Afghanistan in the early 90s
970B7EF7-032A-4769-8E57-EBEA5F53E865.jpeg

The bit highlighted has confused me for awhile. I don’t get why so many people wish to come here versus other safe countries on mainland Europe, what is the appeal?

I was reading an interview with a lady who came to the U.K. from Afghanistan in the early 90s
View attachment 1530988
The bit highlighted has confused me for awhile. I don’t get why so many people wish to come here versus other safe countries on mainland Europe, what is the appeal?
Because they get given places to live, benefits, health care etc etc etc

Reactions: 3
View attachment 1530988
I teach a lot of Afghan kids, their parents came here because there was already connections, friends family etc who came over in the 80s/90s. Biggest Afghan population in Europe is Germany however.

Reactions: 3
Because they get given places to live, benefits, health care etc etc etc
The benefits are very low though, illegal immigrants aren’t entitled to benefits of settled people. Unless they work cash in hand, I’m not sure how to get sustain themselves.

Kids dressing up for World Book Day has gone ridiculous and is not about the joy of books and promoting reading. Kids showing up dressed as characters from Marvel, Disney - ridiculous

Another somewhat UO - Dublin is dirty and tatty by European standards and getting worse. It has lost most of whatever character it had even 20 years ago. Awful planning. Costs so high its hard to make a decent business work, so many good ones have closed. I'm not sure why people would choose to move to Dublin.
I'm half Irish and follow things over there reasonably closely and visit family there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9
Kids dressing up for World Book Day has gone ridiculous and is not about the joy of books and promoting reading. Kids showing up dressed as characters from Marvel, Disney - ridiculous

Another somewhat UO - Dublin is dirty and tatty by European standards and getting worse. It has lost most of whatever character it had even 20 years ago. Awful planning. Costs so high its hard to make a decent business work, so many good ones have closed. I'm not sure why people would choose to move to Dublin.
I'm half Irish and follow things over there reasonably closely and visit family there.
I like Dublin but I wouldn't want to live there. Its too expensive. People move to Dublin for similar reasons that people still move to London despite the extortionate prices - its still the biggest concentration of jobs and work we have in Ireland.

I don't really understand why kids even dress up for World Book Day. Yeah it's fun but what is there about dressing up that promotes reading exactly? I don't think I ever remember reading as an activity for World Book Day either, though things seem to have changed but I wouldn't be surprised if it's something to do with an overall school policy or government policy

Reactions: 8
View attachment 1530988
I think I was once told it's the language.

Reactions: 1
And all those that were suddenly going to leave the UK and make a new start in mainland Europe because of the way the vote went. They're still all here.... 🤣
Whereas we made a decision to return to England after 20 years overseas partly because of the way the vote went. (Covid etc. also played a role)

I think I was once told it's the language.
I saw a woman who works in a refugee camp in Calais say that a lot of people who want to come to England have learnt/are learning English already.
It’s the same with all dressing up days now. When I was in school and we had to dress up as Ancient Romans we all came in wearing costumes made out of old curtains and sheets. Now everyone gets the same costume off Amazon and you’ve got 30 kids wearing the same thing because it all has to be perfect.

Reactions: 7
View attachment 1530988
What are the numbers for people that seek asylum in the UK compared to other European countries. Do we get "so many more" than other countries?

View attachment 1530988
One of the key reasons is probably that English is the most taught language in schools and most people would rather go where English is spoken rather than learn another European language.

Also, life in the UK is easy in comparison to a lot of countries, even in Europe. Not even talking about countries affected by wars.

Simple things like a person working minimum wage could even afford to go on a holiday abroad (maybe not this year with cost of living) where in other countries they couldn't even dream of that.

Reactions: 1
I saw a woman who works in a refugee camp in Calais say that a lot of people who want to come to England have learnt/are learning English already.

It’s the same with all dressing up days now. When I was in school and we had to dress up as Ancient Romans we all came in wearing costumes made out of old curtains and sheets. Now everyone gets the same costume off Amazon and you’ve got 30 kids wearing the same thing because it all has to be perfect.
Same here, I remember dressing up in an old sheet for a school Roman history activity. Quest for perfection is sad. Same with Halloween costumes. I remember making a witches outfit out of a black bin bag and sticking stars on it, with a nose on elastic and a hat. Prob get laughed at nowadays if a kid went in with that

I don't even think it's wanting it to be perfect. I think most people don't have the time to make a costume. A lot of people aren't capable of doing things and don't have the equipment. So it's cheaper and easier to just buy one.

My mum taught me how to sew and I've always been quite crafty, but I don't know anyone else my age that owns a sewing machine, let alone how to use it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.