Unpopular Opinions #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
What are the numbers for people that seek asylum in the UK compared to other European countries. Do we get "so many more" than other countries?
Of course we do the Daily Mail told me so 🙄🙄

A lot of the asylum seekers also come here because the UK has a very good human rights record and they think they will be treated well. It’s unfortunate that the current political climate exists then or that people think that they live in 5 star hotels

I could probably write a whole essay with sources or insights as I normally do but it doesn’t seem to make much difference to people’s attitudes 🤷🏼‍♀️

Reactions: 13
You pay more tax to fund the queens designer clothes than you do to feed an immigrant

• Heart
Reactions: 28
You pay more tax to fund the queens designer clothes than you do to feed an immigrant
I have no problem with the money, its the infrastructure. we just cannot cope with more and more people and traffic etc in the cities and towns. maybe if we built new towns like we used to then it would not be so much of a problem.

Reactions: 9
Kids dressing up for World Book Day has gone ridiculous and is not about the joy of books and promoting reading. Kids showing up dressed as characters from Marvel, Disney - ridiculous

Another somewhat UO - Dublin is dirty and tatty by European standards and getting worse. It has lost most of whatever character it had even 20 years ago. Awful planning. Costs so high its hard to make a decent business work, so many good ones have closed. I'm not sure why people would choose to move to Dublin.
I'm half Irish and follow things over there reasonably closely and visit family there.
Agreed and it’s cause parents don’t actually care. I don’t mean that in a bad way but I think world book day is an inconvenience to a lot of parents. I was listening to a podcast of two women who could be classed as influencers but are tv personalities and world book day, they sent their kids in in toy story outfits, or princesses or Spider-Man. There was no thought because they either forgot or were too busy. Then on top of that, the kids of parents who do actually make the effort to follow the rules end up going in dressed up because they see their friends as superheroes/princesses and want to do that. Any kid would rather go in dressed as a their favourite character than dressed up as James and the giant peach 🤷🏻‍♀️
Schools would be better off scraping the dressing up and just doing an actual event in school.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I have no problem with the money, its the infrastructure. we just cannot cope with more and more people and traffic etc in the cities and towns. maybe if we built new towns like we used to then it would not be so much of a problem.
But those people are coming and will happily do jobs like fruit picking and poorly paid labour that we all benefit from, but no one else wants to do 🤷🏻‍♀️ so I would say we can cope with them

• Heart
Reactions: 19
Agreed and it’s cause parents don’t actually care. I don’t mean that in a bad way but I think world book day is an inconvenience to a lot of parents. I was listening to a podcast of two women who could be classed as influencers but are tv personalities and world book day, they sent their kids in in toy story outfits, or princesses or Spider-Man. There was no thought because they either forgot or were too busy. Then on top of that, the kids of parents who do actually make the effort to follow the rules end up going in dressed up because they see their friends as superheroes/princesses and want to do that. Any kid would rather go in dressed as a their favourite character than dressed up as James and the giant peach 🤷🏻‍♀️
Schools would be better off scraping the dressing up and just doing an actual event in school.
My son’s school don’t do the dressing up thing. It’s just down as a non-uniform day and they can bring in a fave book, with lots of book related activities throughout the day eg, older children reading to the younger classes etc. The school are good in that way as they understand not everyone has the time or money to make/buy costumes for their children, so no one feels left out.

Reactions: 5
I was reading an interview with a lady who came to the U.K. from Afghanistan in the early 90s ... The bit highlighted has confused me for awhile. I don’t get why so many people wish to come here versus other safe countries on mainland Europe, what is the appeal?
What are the numbers for people that seek asylum in the UK compared to other European countries. Do we get "so many more" than other countries?
Of course we do the Daily Mail told me so 🙄🙄

A lot of the asylum seekers also come here because the UK has a very good human rights record and they think they will be treated well. It’s unfortunate that the current political climate exists then or that people think that they live in 5 star hotels

I could probably write a whole essay with sources or insights as I normally do but it doesn’t seem to make much difference to people’s attitudes 🤷🏼‍♀️
Rather than wait for a reply to my question I 'did my own research'. Sources www.gov.uk and Eurostat. Asylum applications in 2021:

UK: 56,495
Germany: 148,175
France: 103,790
Spain: 62,050
Italy: 45,200
Austria: 37,800

But those people are coming and will happily do jobs like fruit picking and poorly paid labour that we all benefit from, but no one else wants to do 🤷🏻‍♀️ so I would say we can cope with them
It’s not just about the jobs. Where do they live? Where do the kids go to school? Where do they get medical services?
You have councils up and down the country with 20 year waiting lists for social housing and yet apparently we have homes ready and available for immigrants to just walk into? The reason people have an issue with mass migration is that the government seem to prioritise those individuals over and above the people who are actually born here. It’s got nothing to do with racism or anything like that - it’s just the unbalanced approach to the whole issue. No one - of any nationality - should be able to just rock up in the UK and be handed a house/benefits/jobs/free healthcare/free school places etc unless EVERY SINGLE British born person is already housed/working/getting appropriate time sensitive health care etc.

Rather than wait for a reply to my question I 'did my own research'. Sources www.gov.uk and Eurostat. Asylum applications in 2021:

UK: 56,495
Germany: 148,175
France: 103,790
Spain: 62,050
Italy: 45,200
Austria: 37,800
Yeah but we have thousands of people here in the uk illegally that we don’t know about!

• Haha
Reactions: 12
Depends on whether they are able to apply for the right to work, in most cases they are because there are massive delays in processing right now

The list:

I won’t even touch the illegal stuff. If they want to claim asylum they have to report themselves to the police or relevant authorities. People making journeys here through dangerous means are likely being picked up very quickly if not self reporting. Those that aren’t are probably being pushed into modern slavery

There’s a difference between refugees/asylum seekers and illegal immigrants and the media and the government should do more to emphasise that

Reactions: 4
The reason people have an issue with mass migration is that the government seem to prioritise those individuals over and above the people who are actually born here. It’s got nothing to do with racism or anything like that -
I mean that sentence in itself proves my point. It is subtle racism, and these people are fleeing war zones and hostile countries. I bet you were happy for Ukrainian refugees to come over? It’s just the Daily Mail scare mongering about certain ethnic minorities and people lap it up.

I am very happy for a refugee family to come and live near me who want to work, as I would rather have them then some of these brits who sit on their arse never working and popping out a kid every year.

Reactions: 19
I mean that sentence in itself proves my point. It is subtle racism, and these people are fleeing war zones and hostile countries. I bet you were happy for Ukrainian refugees to come over? It’s just the Daily Mail scare mongering about certain ethnic minorities.

I am very happy for a refugee family to come and live near me who want to work, as I would rather have them then some of these brits who sit on their arse never working and popping out a kid every year.
No I was actually just going to say, I don’t think it’s appropriate for the influx of Ukrainians. It’s not about “certain ethnic minorities” - im
Talking about ANYONE entering the UK and being provided with housing etc straight off the bat, when we have so many of our own citizens desperately needing help. The fact that we have food banks and a generation of people living with their parents says it all. I couldn’t care less if it was people from Europe, Canada, New Zealand or whatever- if you want to come here, you do so under your own steam and pay your own way.

Reactions: 12
It’s not just about the jobs. Where do they live? Where do the kids go to school? Where do they get medical services?
You have councils up and down the country with 20 year waiting lists for social housing and yet apparently we have homes ready and available for immigrants to just walk into? The reason people have an issue with mass migration is that the government seem to prioritise those individuals over and above the people who are actually born here. It’s got nothing to do with racism or anything like that - it’s just the unbalanced approach to the whole issue. No one - of any nationality - should be able to just rock up in the UK and be handed a house/benefits/jobs/free healthcare/free school places etc unless EVERY SINGLE British born person is already housed/working/getting appropriate time sensitive health care etc.

Yeah but we have thousands of people here in the uk illegally that we don’t know about!
That rather begs the question that if "we don't know about them" how do we know about them? Do we know that other countries know or don't know about illegal immigrants in their countries.

I find your posts confusing as to whether you are talking about illegal immigrants, asylum seekers or immigrants in general. I think you might be too. I just get the impression you don't want any 'foreigners' coming into the UK.

Reactions: 10
I see loads of kick back against dressing up for World Book Day on here, but I have no issue with it.

My nephew recently dressed up for it and he loved it. It's just a bit of fun.

Reactions: 8
People saying things like 'a lot of young people seem to be dying young these days, especially after the vaccine rollout' are laughable idiots. People die every second of every day of every age. The end. Death and taxes are the only certainty in life.

Reactions: 16
That rather begs the question that if "we don't know about them" how do we know about them? Do we know that other countries know or don't know about illegal immigrants in their countries.

I find your posts confusing as to whether you are talking about illegal immigrants, asylum seekers or immigrants in general. I think you might be too. I just get the impression you don't want any 'foreigners' coming into the UK.
No im not confused. And FYI my grandparents were immigrants into the UK, and I myself have worked and lived in various places overseas so please spare me your sanctimonious nitpicking and implications that you think I’m some sort of xenophobic grand wizard.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
No I was actually just going to say, I don’t think it’s appropriate for the influx of Ukrainians. It’s not about “certain ethnic minorities” - im
Talking about ANYONE entering the UK and being provided with housing etc straight off the bat, when we have so many of our own citizens desperately needing help. The fact that we have food banks and a generation of people living with their parents says it all. I couldn’t care less if it was people from Europe, Canada, New Zealand or whatever- if you want to come here, you do so under your own steam and pay your own way.
Provided with housing ?

Some might be but there’s large amounts shoved long term in BnBs and grotty hotels. There was a group from the latest group of Afghans who were brought to my town. They were “housed” in a hotel that’s well known is to filthy. Full of mice running around the hallways and upper floors out of bounds because pigeons and gulls got into the roof and now there’s an issue with bird tit. Entire families in rooms designed for two.
Some are leaving the UK because of the conditions are so poor.

• Sad
I see loads of kick back against dressing up for World Book Day on here, but I have no issue with it.

Same! My boys love it, we usually go to the charity shops and find random things to try and put their costumes together so it’s usually good fun finding and making it too and they love bringing their characters to life. I appreciate not everyone has the time to do that but I must say I’ll really miss it when they’re too old and don’t want to do it anymore lol.

My 2 have always loved books and now they’re at the age they read novels without many pictures so they try and bring together what they envisage the characters to look like and although no one else knows who they’re supposed to be I guess it’s a good conversation they can have about the book they’re basing it on.

• Heart

for uncle maybe, but for many parents yet another hassle to think and worry about. I see a lot of stressful request on FB selling/ free sites. Why not just "bring your favourite book" day

No im not confused. And FYI my grandparents were immigrants into the UK, and I myself have worked and lived in various places overseas so please spare me your sanctimonious nitpicking and implications that you think I’m some sort of xenophobic grand wizard.
No of course not, you just think that the government prioritises immigrants "over and above people who were born here".

People saying things like 'a lot of young people seem to be dying young these days, especially after the vaccine rollout' are laughable idiots. People die every second of every day of every age. The end. Death and taxes are the only certainty in life.
Indeed. They don't even know if the people are vaccinated half the the time, they just assume any death of someone younger than age 60 is highly likely to be vaccine related - unless the cause is very obvious - eg suicide or cancer.

Although I have seen some of them try to say the vaccine may cause cancer, so even that isn't off limits!

I think a lot of it is to prove to others (or themselves?) that they were definitely right to not get vaccinated. Whereas I've always said if you don't want to get vaccinated, don't have it, I don't care. You don't need to prove anything.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.