Unpopular Opinions #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I find the homeless argument really tricky to navigate, i volunteered with a charity that helped feed and clothe people that literally slept rough. And whilst I can see the point in people saying we have British people sleeping on the streets why can’t we do XYZ for them and the problem is whilst this is all well meaning for several reasons it just doesn’t work like that. people get the point where they don’t want to be housed, they don’t want an address and to essentially be registered to anything. they have drug problems quite often(can’t blame them) and serious mental Health issues. There are always the exception but we just don’t have the recourses to rehabilitate them, whether that be rehab or a MH facility. Incredibly sad but true

Reactions: 6
I don't know whether it's that unpopular but you can definitely separate the music from the artists. I'm not going to stop enjoying my favourite songs just because the singer did something bad
I think it depends though. In certain circumstances I think you probably can and if the artist is long dead then I can’t see why people get their knickers in a twist over someone else enjoy that persons work. However I will say I can’t listen to Lostprophets after what he did and I know many others who also can’t. The thought of him makes me sick. But those who are guilty by trail of twitter only (rather than charged in a court of law) then I think it’s possible. It’s a person by person situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8
I find the homeless argument really tricky to navigate, i volunteered with a charity that helped feed and clothe people that literally slept rough. And whilst I can see the point in people saying we have British people sleeping on the streets why can’t we do XYZ for them and the problem is whilst this is all well meaning for several reasons it just doesn’t work like that. people get the point where they don’t want to be housed, they don’t want an address and to essentially be registered to anything. they have drug problems quite often(can’t blame them) and serious mental Health issues. There are always the exception but we just don’t have the recourses to rehabilitate them, whether that be rehab or a MH facility. Incredibly sad but true
I agree , I help the homeless and always have done many of them don't want a home .. But also there are many who would like a home. Sometimes though people and families get lost in the system.
I was lost in the system for over two years, three children and me in one small room with one double bed, in the end I went back to my violent husband. I watched family after family get their own homes many were people that had recently came over.

• Sad
Reactions: 13
I find the homeless argument really tricky to navigate
I'd guess it's also a bit of whataboutism. If it wasn't helping the homeless it would be helping some other group of British people

I will say I'm rather disappointed that churches only open their doors overnight during winter when the weather is freezing for so many consecutive days - or maybe it's just my local church who does that and there are other policies elsewhere

Reactions: 2
I'd guess it's also a bit of whataboutism. If it wasn't helping the homeless it would be helping some other group of British people

I will say I'm rather disappointed that churches only open their doors overnight during winter when the weather is freezing for so many consecutive days - or maybe it's just my local church who does that and there are other policies elsewhere
Again whilst i think that’s a wonderful idea, I was a manager of a nice hotel that come winter months would have homeless coming into the conservatory after hours, i’d always gave them a coffee in the morning and try and get them on their way before guests started getting up, they wouldn’t leave if you asked nicely and the police would have to come and move them out. leaving their dirty needles for someone else to deal with to. i wish i knew an answer but there certainly needs to be more emergency accommodation when the weather is very cold .

Reactions: 4
I think it depends though. In certain circumstances I think you probably can and if the artist is long dead then I can’t see why people get their knickers in a twist over someone else enjoy that persons work. However I will say I can listen to Lostprophets after what he did and I know many others who also can’t. The thought of him makes me sick. But those who are guilty by trail of twitter only (rather than charged in a court of law) then I think it’s possible. It’s a person by person situation.
I was about to say the exact same...I loved LostProphets last album and went to see them live...but couldn't bear to listen to them after he was exposed and convicted. If he wasn't the singer, maybe I could stomach it but I just can't bring myself to listen to his voice. He was originally from an area local to me and he not only destroyed his life and the lives of the people he hurt, he completely destroyed the lives and reputations of his band mates as well. He's absolute scum.

Reactions: 15
I think it just varies from place to place. Ours is open during the day as we run a cafe and there’s interesting art to see but we’re not set up for night opening (cold gothic Victorian church. It’s cold in summer 😂) but we have the details of places that are and we try to help as best we can if someone comes in needing help.

I’d say City centres and places where there’s a higher rate of homelessness are far more likely to have provision in place than round my area or similar which is a lot of villages and smaller market towns.I know the cities nearest to me there are church groups who do work on the cold nights helping and giving out hot food and drink.

I
I was about to say the exact same...I loved LostProphets last album and went to see them live...but couldn't bear to listen to them after he was exposed and convicted. If he wasn't the singer, maybe I could stomach it but I just can't bring myself to listen to his voice. He was originally from an area local to me and he not only destroyed his life and the lives of the people he hurt, he completely destroyed the lives and reputations of his band mates as well. He's absolute scum.
me three.
same goes for noir desir.. I just can’t listen to their songs without thinking about Tritignant.

I don't know whether it's that unpopular but you can definitely separate the music from the artists. I'm not going to stop enjoying my favourite songs just because the singer did something bad
I agree, I still listen to R Kelly. I'd have no issue watching a Kevin Spacey movie either, personally. I can understand why some would struggle with it.

• Sick
Reactions: 7
I think separating the art from the artist is more difficult now with streaming etc cause I couldn’t help but think I was putting money in their pocket listening on Spotify rather than say back in the day listening to a cd I already owned. Some people I can let it slide but for example R Kelly I can’t listen to anymore, was never a fan of Lostprophets but agree defo couldn’t listen to them

Another bread related one. Warburtons is bleeping minging absolutely terrible bread 0/10
out of all the branded bread - their thick small toastie loaf is the best out there! i love their crumpets and pitta pockets too!
i hate Kingsmill...thats minging and impossible to butter without ripping the slice to bits!

out of all the branded bread - their thick small toastie loaf is the best out there! i love their crumpets and pitta pockets too!
i hate Kingsmill...thats minging and impossible to butter without ripping the slice to bits!
The Warburtions crumpets are the only nice crumpets!!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.