Unpopular Opinions #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sorry but to me this is poor event planning. It’s a non ticketed event, many people turned up and as a result they’re getting crushed in one area, it’s really dangerous for all involved and I don’t think there’s anything racist about saying that. I would say the same about any event if I saw scenes like this.
yikes - i’m getting claustrophobic just looking at that. and i agree that the point, and i think this is confirmed fact, is that the carnival has outgrown its original location. this footage and a lot of what’s on twitter is just confirming it. no festival situation is perfect but things do need to change and adapt based on demand tbh. it’s an incredibly popular event, give people the space to actually enjoy it.

i appreciate the mentions of pride earlier but pride events (taking cardiff last weekend for one) are usually a parade in the town and then into a large central location (cardiff uses bute park i think).

Reactions: 8
yikes - i’m getting claustrophobic just looking at that. and i agree that the point, and i think this is confirmed fact, is that the carnival has outgrown its original location. this footage and a lot of what’s on twitter is just confirming it. no festival situation is perfect but things do need to change and adapt based on demand tbh. it’s an incredibly popular event, give people the space to actually enjoy it.
Exactly. This is the point I was making earlier.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

i appreciate the mentions of pride earlier but pride events (taking cardiff last weekend for one) are usually a parade in the town and then into a large central location (cardiff uses bute park i think).
I’ve been to notting hill carnival several times and each year I found it busier but tbh I’ve never seen it that bad. I get that it’s post pandemic and more people were always going to turn up to make up for lost years, but they should have really seen it coming and organized it better. This is giving Hillsborough vibes, no one should be having to climb up metal gates to avoid being crushed

I’ve been to notting hill carnival several times and each year I found it busier but tbh I’ve never seen it that bad. I get that it’s post pandemic and more people were always going to turn up to make up for lost years, but they should have really seen it coming and organized it better. This is giving Hillsborough vibes, no one should be having to climb up metal gates to avoid being crushed
i went once, many years ago (and almost accidentally 🤣) but i have friends who go regularly and have said it’s become steadily busier. you’re right that the skipped years might have made it way more crowded too. but that absolutely should have been prepared for. it is just too popular and too “famous” (for want of a better word!) for the relatively tiny residential area it’s still cramped in. let them move it and allow it to grow and thrive!

Reactions: 1
Was it me who said that?! At least come at me with correct facts babe.

Notting Hill is not a poor area though. The type of person who lives there opts to live there. It’s not the kind of area where poor families are housed by the council for example. The carnival has always been a thing, if I didn’t want to see it, it annoyed me etc I simply would not buy a house in Notting hill.
My friend was poor and was housed there by the council she had no choice.

Reactions: 2
As I said in my initial sentence: I made a bold and general statement. Meaning it would not be completely true for everyone in the area. I also wrote the average resident / owner. Average —> not everyone.
Lastly, I used a rhetorical figure, the hyperbolae, which is a voluntary exaggeration, ironically. I do not think they all own properties in the Cotswolds. maybe I should begin using caps to ensure my posts are understood.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Sorry but to me this is poor event planning. It’s a non ticketed event, many people turned up and as a result they’re getting crushed in one area, it’s really dangerous for all involved and I don’t think there’s anything racist about saying that. I would say the same about any event if I saw scenes like this.
Looks horrendous. You couldn’t pay me to go there.

Reactions: 7
My friend was poor and was housed there by the council she had no choice.
There are tons of poor and average wage people who live there and were born and bred there Its only in recent times its become a place for the rich.

It used to be a amazing carnival but like everything its had its day now. I left London 24 years ago we had a carnival where I lived it was a decades old tradition but trouble makers ruined it and it had to be stopped.

I cannot imagine being in that crowd right now. Children too? 😱 I know there used to be many families there. Mine and my friends families too.

• Sad
Reactions: 7
Whilst that video is horrific & dangerous it’s a small part of the carnival. The whole thing isn’t like that. Family day, so kids is Sunday. Most residents of the area don’t care, they know to expect the carnival. It’s had it’s day according to who? Somebody who doesn’t live in London @Purrrrrrr It effects nothing about your life, you just love a chance to moan 😊

Christmas music in shops is the absolute worse. How those working in retail put up with it I will never know I would have to walk out. Would not be too bad if it was just in the two weeks before Christmas but its not its a couple of months before Christmas.

I have lost count how many times I have abandoned my trolley and walked out due to Christmas music.
One of my friends worked in a Carrolls (an Irish souvenir shop targeted towards tourists) and during Christmas, they played fairytale of New York every half hour, it got to the point every time it came on, he was ready to go into the back and hang himself with a “Kiss me I’m Irish” scarf 😂

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Sad
One of my friends worked in a Carrolls (an Irish souvenir shop targeted towards tourists) and during Christmas, they played fairytale of New York every half hour, it got to the point every time he turned it on, he was ready to go into the back and hang himself with a “Kiss me I’m Irish” scarf 😂
Christ, I detest that record. That and slade

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 5
Whilst that video is horrific & dangerous it’s a small part of the carnival. The whole thing isn’t like that. Family day, so kids is Sunday. Most residents of the area don’t care, they know to expect the carnival. It’s had it’s day according to who? Somebody who doesn’t live in London @Purrrrrrr It effects nothing about your life, you just love a chance to moan 😊
“Most residents of the area don’t care”

You been round with your clipboard asking everyone’s opinion have you?!

🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 10
I rarely moan. You seem to be triggered by absolute anyone who does not agree with you. 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 18

One of my friends worked in a Carrolls (an Irish souvenir shop targeted towards tourists) and during Christmas, they played fairytale of New York every half hour, it got to the point every time it came on, he was ready to go into the back and hang himself with a “Kiss me I’m Irish” scarf 😂
It must be torture for staff.

Christ, I detest that record. That and slade
finally another fairytale of new york hater!! it blows my mind how it always wins or is close to the top of those “favourite christmas songs” lists, i can’t bear it.

I rarely moan. You seem to be triggered by absolute anyone who does not agree with you. 😂
Where did I say I was triggered. It’s a thread for opinions. Mine is that the carnival is fine as is, and not really a concern of anybody who doesn’t live in London.

As an Irish person what even is the Notting Hill Carnival?
It’s a Caribbean street parade over bank holiday weekend in aug in Notting Hill (area in London) it’s been done since the 60’s but people hate enjoyment in this country 🤣

Where did I say I was triggered. It’s a thread for opinions. Mine is that the carnival is fine as is, and not really a concern of anybody who doesn’t live in London.
I have family who still live there. I am also allowed a opinion, you always try to shut people down by telling them what they can or cannot have a opinion on.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.