Unpopular Opinions #25

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I can't handle this any longer. I have never had a fig roll so I'm gonna go and get some. Need to know for myself which side to pick

• Haha
Reactions: 8
I can't handle this any longer. I have never had a fig roll so I'm gonna go and get some. Need to know for myself which side to pick
prepare yourself, you're going to be bitterly disappointed. I'd maybe pick up a pack of biscuits you do like, just to soften the blow after you've tried the little rolls of hell

• Haha
  • Angry
Reactions: 17
My unpopular opinion is I can’t stand the whole ‘shaming’ buzz word. It’s so woke

mum shaming, Slut shaming etc

And a new one this morning from the Emma Hill thread ‘maths shaming’

• Haha
Reactions: 16
My unpopular opinion is I can’t stand the whole ‘shaming’ buzz word. It’s so woke

And a new one this morning from the Emma Hill thread ‘maths shaming
she’s such a knob

Reactions: 2

I have been math shamed, spelling and grammar shamed, hand writing shamed my whole life.

I finally have a label!! wooohoo

• Haha
Reactions: 8
My UO is that anyone who thinks fatphobia is on par with racism or homophobic discrimination is off their head lol. Also you can’t be healthy at every size and the word obesity doesn’t need to be censored.

Reactions: 26
My UO is that anyone who thinks fatphobia is on par with racism or homophobic discrimination is off their head lol. Also you can’t be healthy at every size and the word obesity doesn’t need to be censored.
I agree. Hate how it’s glamourised to be fat now.

Reactions: 6
Skinny shaming just doesn't make sense to me

I've been skinny my entire life and have definitely had some comments but like... it's just not that deep? And the way the kpop stans use it as some sort of shield from criticisms about the whole weight issue in kpop:rolleyes:

Reactions: 1
Skinny shaming just doesn't make sense to me

I've been skinny my entire life and have definitely had some comments but like... it's just not that deep? And the way the kpop stans use it as some sort of shield from criticisms about the whole weight issue in kpop:rolleyes:
What is kpop or am I showing my age 😅

I suppose to medical professionals an illness that doesn’t show up on tests and therefore has no treatment as such is not an illness? They can try to treat the symptoms but what else can they do. Set up a whole new laboratory to set up a research programme into that persons individual set of symptoms? Hardly on the state funded nhs. An individual’s opinion of the nhs will be coloured by whether their treatment has worked ,partially worked or not worked at all ? Having said that in my involvement with the nhs I’ve met good nurses/doctors bad ones and just plain meh ones.
i can see why you’d think this and forgive the thesis I’m about to write but hopefully it makes sense! It’s really close to my heart as it’s my experience so I’m not having a go I’m just really passionate about it and suggesting that normal tests = no illness is a common misconception (and I guess understandable) - if that’s true I’d better sell my wheelchair eh? 😅

Many, many illnesses do not have reliable one size fits all diagnostic tests or treatment. My condition is a cluster of symptoms that over 250k people in the UK have - whilst everyone experiences this condition differently, there are main symptoms that everyone experiences that if they could be treated, would drastically improve my quality of life and allow me to work more. Would you tell someone with rheumatoid arthritis or M.S which are diagnosed by exclusion that they don’t have an illness because it isn’t showing up on tests? Long Covid/ME don’t have diagnostic tests either but shall we not set up any research into the treatment of that? mental health issues don’t show up on tests but are real. Should the healthcare system just assume that we know everything there is to know and not strive for more effective treatment and understanding of common but complex illnesses?

People deserve quality of life and research into little understood conditions - surely that’s the whole point of healthcare? Currently a lot of treatment IS inadequate and patients are just expected to live with pain. Tests coming back normal doesn’t just magically disappear your symptoms and make you all better although I wish it did 🤪

Research into treatment for these conditions is underfunded and slow and a lot of that is to do with people having really crap attitudes towards chronic/‘invisible’ illnesses. People only care when it happens to them. Is it that an individual member of the NHS’s fault? No. I don’t view the nhs negatively because they can’t treat me, I view them negatively when they deny me my basic dignity because of their own preconceived opinions and views on disability. Maybe I’ll never be cured, but tbh I’m fine with that, they’re not miracle workers and I don’t think healthcare will advance enough in my lifetime.

However that doesn’t mean I should be neglected and left to piss myself because I can’t walk but the nurses believed I just wasn’t trying hard enough. I’m talking about medical negligence which if you have a widely misunderstood chronic illness is sadly a really common occurrence. I have met some fantastic doctors who tried their absolute best for me but it doesn’t make the traumatic experiences any easier to deal with.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I am overweight (not like, mega, but in the eyes of the NHS I am lol) and if I ever call myself fat, people are like "ooo dont call yourself that!!!"... I'm like it's literally a correct term? I'm not "shaming" myself, it's a literal fact? People who compare this type of thing to racism need to wind their necks in.

I'm also gay so I'm a real target to some people hahahahaha

Reactions: 7

MATHS shaming? is that like if you’re not good at maths?!?

i did my maths gcse five times before i eventually scraped a C, this conversation is very triggering to me please don’t shame me etc 🤣🤣😉

• Haha
  • Heart

Can you be shame shamed ?
and in the other one women are women they shouldnt be erased to please the latest tiny minority who are offended by the rising sun and chaging tides, as i have previously stated in OP 22 a friend was asked if she will be "chest feeding" was rather angry at this and i dont blame her

Reactions: 6
Unpopular opinion.

I know certain baby names are getting more and more ridiculous these days, but what really bugs me is when parents give their child a common name but give it a really uncommon spelling. It's not unique in any way. It's really stupid.

Reactions: 16
Unpopular opinion.

I know certain baby names are getting more and more ridiculous these days, but what really bugs me is when parents give their child a common name but give it a really uncommon spelling. It's not unique in any way. It's really stupid.
Lifetime of hell correcting people too 😫

i can see why you’d think this and forgive the thesis I’m about to write but hopefully it makes sense! It’s really close to my heart as it’s my experience so I’m not having a go I’m just really passionate about it and suggesting that normal tests = no illness is a common misconception (and I guess understandable) - if that’s true I’d better sell my wheelchair eh? 😅

Many, many illnesses do not have reliable one size fits all diagnostic tests or treatment. My condition is a cluster of symptoms that over 250k people in the UK have - whilst everyone experiences this condition differently, there are main symptoms that everyone experiences that if they could be treated, would drastically improve my quality of life and allow me to work more. Would you tell someone with rheumatoid arthritis or M.S which are diagnosed by exclusion that they don’t have an illness because it isn’t showing up on tests? Long Covid/ME don’t have diagnostic tests either but shall we not set up any research into the treatment of that? mental health issues don’t show up on tests but are real. Should the healthcare system just assume that we know everything there is to know and not strive for more effective treatment and understanding of common but complex illnesses?

People deserve quality of life and research into little understood conditions - surely that’s the whole point of healthcare? Currently a lot of treatment IS inadequate and patients are just expected to live with pain. Tests coming back normal doesn’t just magically disappear your symptoms and make you all better although I wish it did 🤪

Research into treatment for these conditions is underfunded and slow and a lot of that is to do with people having really crap attitudes towards chronic/‘invisible’ illnesses. People only care when it happens to them. Is it that an individual member of the NHS’s fault? No. I don’t view the nhs negatively because they can’t treat me, I view them negatively when they deny me my basic dignity because of their own preconceived opinions and views on disability. Maybe I’ll never be cured, but tbh I’m fine with that, they’re not miracle workers and I don’t think healthcare will advance enough in my lifetime.

However that doesn’t mean I should be neglected and left to piss myself because I can’t walk but the nurses believed I just wasn’t trying hard enough. I’m talking about medical negligence which if you have a widely misunderstood chronic illness is sadly a really common occurrence. I have met some fantastic doctors who tried their absolute best for me but it doesn’t make the traumatic experiences any easier to deal with.
Thank you for giving me some insight into chronic disability. I was trying in my original post to think of reasons why certain medics are dismissive of illnesses that they can’t easily diagnose and how the nhs is criticised by so many people. Is it the nhs as an institution or the people they employ? I’ve been treated by the nhs for serious illness and will always be grateful.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.