Unpopular Opinions #25

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Oh we're back to breastfeeding aye? The OG controversial topic, together with fig rolls

• Haha
Reactions: 15
No I don’t , I just wack my boobs out anywhere when my son needs feeding and I’d love for anyone to challenge me on that. I don’t see the whole outrage over bottle or breast. As long as they’re fed, happy and healthy who’s business is it?

I just think it’s odd to breastfeed a 5 year old that’s all
You also said over age 1 though so given that guidelines recommend until age 2 I do think that adds to mum shaming for those who do choose to follow the guidelines. Just my opinion.. as you can see lots of people agree with you- the point I was trying to say is it’s not unpopular to withdraw support for breastfeeding when it’s past the newborn stage. It’s a popular opinion- imo 😂

Reactions: 6
I'm probably going to be shot but I don't think BF has a massive difference on infant health in developed countries vs developing countries. It's not a magical potion. I think it's great if you do also ok if you don't Many people talk about the WHO studies but it's more geared at countries without access to clean water.

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Breastfeeding your child over the age of 1 🙅🏼‍♀️😬

I’m breastfeeding my son atm and won’t be doing it for much longer. I just can’t stand to see babies that age stuck to a boob

Even worse, I’m in a breastfeeding group on Facebook and a woman has just said she still breastfeeds her 5 year old……. No thanks 😬
Haha. I let all my children wean naturally. One at 6 years, one at four years, one at 5 years. "Extended" (and I hate that we call it that) was the norm until society said it wasn't.

To reach their own.

• Sick
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm probably going to be shot but I don't think BF has a massive difference on infant health in developed countries vs developing countries. It's not a magical potion. I think it's great if you do also ok if you don't Many people talk about the WHO studies but it's more geared at countries without access to clean water.
1660132240037.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I accidentally posted this on another thread so for anyone seeing it on the other thread and are confused about the random statement, blame it on the heat, 🤣🤣

anyways the UO is:

Kiwi’s need to be eaten with Skin on, no other way about it.

• Sick
  • Wow
Reactions: 17
I accidentally posted this on another thread so for anyone seeing it on the other thread and are confused about the random statement, blame it on the heat, 🤣🤣

anyways the UO is:

Kiwi’s need to be eaten with Skin on, no other way about it.
Agreed! As long as it’s washed!! 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I don’t think breastfeeding is as taboo as people make it out to be, or maybe i have become desensitised to it?

I had no interest in doing it myself so maybe i didnt notice it, but my friends who did are all happy to whip out their boobs anywhere so I assume they haven’t been mumshamed for this
I agree. I don’t think it’s taboo in the UK at all. I actually think bottle feeding mums get more hassle and judgement. Asking why they’re not breastfeeding, or asked when they stopped breastfeeding and the sheer horror on peoples faces when you say you didn’t do it at all!

People make this big deal like people are asked to leave certain establishments for breastfeeding but i think that it’s so far and few between that actually happens if at all.

Breastfeeding isn’t taboo at all but some breastfeeding mums would love it to be.

I couldn’t care less how anyone feeds their baby but you don’t see parents who bottle feed constantly post pics of their kid with a bottle hanging out their mouth the way bf mums do begging for attention. Just feed your wean and duck up 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Breastfeeding isn’t taboo at all but some breastfeeding mums would love it to be.

I couldn’t care less how anyone feeds their baby but you don’t see parents who bottle feed constantly post pics of their kid with a bottle hanging out their mouth the way bf mums do begging for attention. Just feed your wean and duck up 😂
i find them to be the same mums who want to martyr themselves over every aspect of parenthood or want a medal for everything they do

Reactions: 11

Amen sister! 🙌🏻

It’s such a non-issue but people like to make it into a big thing.

Reactions: 8
The moms that breastfeed and make it their whole personality need to just shhhhhhhh

• Haha
Reactions: 16
That may be your ‘opinion’, but it’s medically inaccurate. Hence the language change to be more inclusive, recognising the myriad of people who have periods and women who don’t have periods. I had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago, therefore I don’t bleed. Does that make me not a woman? No. But the inters3x child at my son’s school who does have periods, does that make them a woman? No.
Language changing to be more inclusive does not mean that it excludes others - it’s not pie. You don’t get less of something.
Actually, inclusive language can exclude other minorities and put them at risk in healthcare settings. In particular, women with learning difficulties, low literacy levels and those who cannot speak English. It just increases the chances of misunderstandings and therefore I personally tend to avoid it entirely.
I wouldn’t mind using preferred language for an individual in the context of health if they specifically request it, but I don’t agree with making gender inclusive language the norm, and I will not use it to refer to myself either. I’m a woman, I don’t want to be called a ‘period haver’, ‘person who menstruates’, ‘monthly vagina bleeder’ or any other weird dehumanizing terms because it makes me feel uncomfortable.

Except removing the word women (or man not that it’s men’s information that’s being changed) from any medical or health related information is very exclusionary.

It has the potential to exclude three very vulnerable groups of people;

Those who can’t speak or read/have very little English and haven’t somebody to translate for them.

Those with little or no literacy skills. There are communities in this country where literacy levels are WAY below the national average.

Those with leaning difficulties or others who are neuro diverse.

These are three example of groups of people for whom language is very important. Removing the word women completely has the potential to put them at risk. If the word woman is removed there are women and girls who might not think something applies to them and end up missing a symptom etc the blue hair brigade might have a huff being othered but tough tit. Woman and others who have periods is the most inclusive. (Or wording to that effect) not simply “people who have periods”
Bruh you beat me to it!

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.